Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,121 to 5,140 of 6,055 messages
21/01/2013 at 21:09

Must have my bedtime herbal tea tonight - instead of alcohol.  I need a night's sleep which leaves me feeling less rough in the morning.  Not that my intake is excessive - but mornings are a problem right now so I've got to do everything I can.

21/01/2013 at 21:11

speedy get well wishes to Solb. 

I'm drinking Beck's Blue alcohol-free stuff.

Hotel room extended to the weekend if we need it. I thought about moving him to closer home but its a 3 hour drive and I don't want to jeopardise his recovery. They seem to have a good plan for him in Exeter so its best for him if he stays there till they think he is fit for travel. I'll phone work tomorrow and take unpaid leave if I have to. 

21/01/2013 at 22:08

Get well Solb

Glad to hear you have a plan Soupy, travelling in this weather is not great so another day or so may make the homeward journey nicer.

(()) to those that want.

21/01/2013 at 22:18

Actually CJ, there is no snow here and the weather is even quite mild!   

21/01/2013 at 22:23
*packs her bags and heads of to join soupy*
Purely to support you of course
21/01/2013 at 22:36

Ooh - you have runnable non-icy paths!  Should have kept quiet - there'll be a mass exodus that way.

Being sensible and off to bed now with my herbal tea. 

Night all. xx

22/01/2013 at 09:03

Unpack your bags by'eck. Hail stoning this morning.  

22/01/2013 at 11:43

I run/own the UK's largest independent site on anxiety and panic. I also wrote a book on my own recovery, the book has fantastic feedback on Amazon etc. If anyone on here wants a free pdf copy then they are welcome. Running was a part of my recovery for many reasons and it would be nice to give something back.

22/01/2013 at 11:57

I phoned work who have been very understanding so I'm staying put. 

Paul - that is a very kind offer, thank you. Its reassuring that recovery is possible and even more so that running helped. I will pm you my email if I may. I've just looked at your website and relate to the constant thoughts buzzing around in my head. My CBT course also told me not to try and stop thinking about them, because that just brought them to the fore all the more (try think of a polar bear then stop yourself thinking of it, and you imagine the polar bear all the more). But its easier said than done. 

22/01/2013 at 12:47

I'm lurking

22/01/2013 at 14:32

It is easier said than done Soup

I teach more to to with 'It's ok to think this way' as what we resist persists, it took a while and plenty of ups and downs for me to get where I am today. I never try and simplify it, I had a lot of ups and downs, but I refused to believe I could be me again and left no stone unturned to try and find 'ME' again.

If you know the site then feel free to send me an email and if you want to read my story ill pass on a free pdf

Thank you also for this thread and all that contribute, it's time to change attitudes and beliefs and that starts with people no longer keeping it to themselves and not been ashamed to say how they feel.

22/01/2013 at 16:27

paul - it's always so inspiring to hear other people's stories

On this line of promoting more positive attitudes towards mental health...my friend has set up a charity of raising awareness of depression. Its called 'the black dog exisits' and she has a great blog about it if anyone is interested.

Hope people are having a good day. Chin up and stay strong (I currently have a hot chocolate beside me so the world seems a better place) 

22/01/2013 at 20:14

Paul, I'd be interested in both the book and the website but sadly can't find the website or your email.  You don't seem to have your emailed enable, bur if you could email me via this site's email I can let you have my full email

Thanks in advance

23/01/2013 at 07:40

Hope it goes OK with dietician, by 'eck.

Treated myself to a reasonably sensible time start this morning.  This getting up early really doesn't suit me.

23/01/2013 at 07:50
Mug of tea number 1
23/01/2013 at 07:52

Oh, and Soupy, hope Mr Soupy's recovery is going OK.

23/01/2013 at 09:53

Nice to hear from you Bear, been a bit quiet a couple of days, or have I had you accidently on ignore?  This is the website I googled and hope its the right one! 

Going to pick Mr Soupy up now. 

23/01/2013 at 10:36

Hi everyone sorry for butting in but I thought with your experience of mental issues, it might be a good place to ask :-

Can you be depressed but are not suicidal and take part in marathons on a regularly?

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

23/01/2013 at 12:18

Thanks Soupy - I found that one but it said it was by Paul David not Bywater, if that's the one then it looks good

23/01/2013 at 14:23

Woody, feel free to but in any time you like.  Yes you can be depressed without suicidal thoughts and still running. It may be a mild depression or not as symptoms vary greatly. Lack of concentration, tearful (often without suicidal thoughts), not enjoying things as normal, feeling worthess, the list goes on.  Look at this symptom checker if in doubt and discuss with your GP if you are concerned. Close friends can often give you an indication if you are not your usual self too. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.