Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,141 to 5,160 of 6,031 messages
25/01/2013 at 12:28

Eurgh for some reason I couldn't sleep until nearly 6am.

Hope Richmond goes well Solb

25/01/2013 at 13:00

I still have no idea if they can help. A million forms filled in.. Apparently we don't discuss what I'm looking for and if they can help until next week!! 

25/01/2013 at 13:05

That sounds rather odd - if they can't help that's a week wasted

25/01/2013 at 16:48

Nice to hear from you Bear, been a bit quiet a couple of days, or have I had you accidently on ignore?  This is the website I googled and hope its the right one!

XFR bear that is the website, check the feedback out on Amazon, the book has helped many and you and anyone else here is welcome to a free pdf copy just email throught the site, I used a different name on here to the site for privacy reasons but that is my site yes

25/01/2013 at 16:52

Ah okay thanks very much Paul - I did wonder if it was a privacy thing but couldn't be sure

25/01/2013 at 17:29

Big Burns night event tonight...meant to be fun and instead I'm dreading it. Would much rather curl up in bed...*sigh*

Hope everyone is good and keeping warm. 

25/01/2013 at 18:32

That's a shame, RWTW, I'm certainly glad I don't have to go anywhere tonight.  Reminds me that it's a year ago this week since a really excellent weekend away in Edinburgh with the orienteering club - one race around the city, the other on Arthur's Seat, a ceilidth in the evening - and even veggie haggis!

Frustrating for you SOLB re Richmond.  Let's hope it proves worthwhile in the end.

I'm feeling under more pressure at work.  My concentration hasn't been good this week and I'm just not getting things done.  Did do one good thing today though.  I'd opted out of going out to lunch with the others for a colleagues last day.  I felt that she could be trusted so I e-mailed to tell her it was due to my depression and anxiety issues that I wasn't going and I would have liked to really, whilst asking her not to tell anyone.  She responded supportingly, said she quite understood and wished me all the best. 

26/01/2013 at 00:06
How did it go RWTW, hope it was one of those miraculous nights that just worked.

Sorry you are struggling with concentration at work LR. That's always so frustrating, and difficult to keep reminding yourself that it's temporary and that you are doing your best.

I'm impressed you told the truth about giving the meal a miss, that's really fantastic. Knowing when to back off is just as important as pushing through and much harder to do. Brilliant bit of self awareness and assertiveness there.

I'm not too concerned re the silly delay with the Richmond fellowship, it is a bit silly but it gives me a week to get sorted out.

My asthma is a bit better now but I'm too scared to run cos I feel convinced I cant do it.

Tired now, gonna hit they hay the virus I thought I'd shaken off is still lingering I'm hoping to rest enough tonight it really goes this time!
26/01/2013 at 00:06
Hope you find some words tomorrow quiet by eck xxxx
26/01/2013 at 00:14

Do we need a bit of VRC teamwork to get you out there running again, SOLB?  Probably can't do tomorrow though as I'm out on a social.

Hope by 'eck's coping OK and also Soupy's been quiet to today so hope you;re OK too.

Just nodded off in front of the telly and am very bleary eyed so must get off properly now. 

26/01/2013 at 08:05
I think so, I'm unreasonably scared and so convinced I can't make any progress. Really silly cos I know how much happier I am running

Morning all, the kettle is on
26/01/2013 at 09:33

I certainly find it really can be tough when you've had a few unsuccesful attempts - it does make it more difficult.  I think only you can decide when you're ready to have any go, knowing that the VRC cheerleaders will be with you all the way.

The occasions when I am actually happy running are few and far between these days - but I know that when I acheive it, it's the best I ever feel.  So it remains a the ultimate goal for me.  The last time I did feel really good running was last September at the City of London Orienteering race.  One guy filmed his race with a head camera and I often look at the video to remind me of the feeling I'm aiming for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsizB0hj6bE

26/01/2013 at 11:02

Morning. I'm still here, lurking cos feeling a bit quiet and struggly. Don't know why, work went well yesterday and the senior manager said how well I'd fitted in which made me feel good in a way I haven't for months. I think those feel good feelings are somehow making me realise just how ill I've been and for how long which I'm finding myself reflecting on. I keep thinking I'm well, then get a glimpse of being even more well and realise I wasn't as well as I thought.  Feeling a bit sort of traumatised by it so need to stop dwelling and ruminating.

Its a lovely bright sunny day here so I really should do a run but having trouble finding the energy. VRC group run tomorrow anyone?

26/01/2013 at 11:17

I haven't ruled out today yet.  Supposed to have a builder coming round to look at my garage.  Might have time to get out before heading out for a beer festival trip with the running club later.  Tomorrow, I'm belatedly doing my 2012 new sport to try and having a go at archery.  It's just something I've always wanted to have a go at but have never had the chance.  Unfortunately, the publicity from the Olympics have made it difficult to get the opportunity until now.

26/01/2013 at 11:57

Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to get my running kit on and plod round the park, even its just a mile. Gonna join me LR? Just for 20 mins unless we decide to carrry on further once we've got going?

26/01/2013 at 12:15

Just going to get tidied up round here then will go for it about an hours time. 

26/01/2013 at 12:38

Last night as ok thanks. I just feel so awkward when I'm in that state of mind and so when you're surrounded by people you don't know that well...it just makes me very anxious!

However...we have more snow. And nowhere is gritted. And I really need to get out tomorrow and do a 15 miler esp as I missed last weeks one. Stupid snow!!

LR- really well done on telling your colleague. And glad they were supportive  

26/01/2013 at 13:29

5 miles.

26/01/2013 at 13:45

Well done, Soupy.  Well I did get out there - but only managed to run for 6 minutes before I had to stop.  It was a case of the rough running surface from the melting snow making me increasingly nervous of making myself feel ill like I was when I ran last week.  Thanks for encouraging me though, but today's not the day.  Frustrating as ever though.

RLTW - I'm always anxious with people I don't know.  How difficult it is depends on how talkitive they are.  Talkative ones make it easier but to stuck with a quiet person and trying to make conversation just makes me more nervous.  I think the snow should all be thawed by tomorrow though - but it may be rather wet and slushy.

26/01/2013 at 13:56

LR - thanks, yeah, same. I just get anxious as feel so self consciuos in those situations! Also...I hope so. Theres a good few inches around and atm it looks ok..nice and fluffy...but I'm worried it'll thaw a bit then get icy. I don't do well with ice!! Think It'll be a case of manning up and hoping for the best!! I would be so annoyed to miss another run and start getting annoyed with myself so as long as I really try to do it I reckon it'll be ok. Hopefully. Come on sun! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.