Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,141 to 5,160 of 6,062 messages
23/01/2013 at 14:48

LR and RWTW.

As we all know, support is priceless but allowing yourself to find it can be difficult.

I have told my boss about my issues and that I'm getting some help and he was very supportive, in a corporate way. I also told one colleague who I work closely with that I was getting some help a they would have to pick up the slack if I was not at work. I didn't give them any fine details though as I was wary. I do feel better for telling them and it would have been difficult to continue without doing so as we are a small team but within a large organisation. I would really like to tell my mum but can't bring myself to do it. Same goes for my brother as we are close. Mrs Ctpotato is amazing though and suppports me/kicks me up the backside when I need it.

23/01/2013 at 17:26

ctpotato....that's good to hear. It is good to have supportive people around. I have told a lot of friends...its just trcky as starting in a new big corporate job...so going in there saying i have problems...well, not everyone will be supportive :/

23/01/2013 at 22:27

Woody - not sure if you were asking about yourself or others there.  As is always the case with these things it varies totally from one person to another.  Personally it's always prevented me from doing so - but it still remains my goal.

23/01/2013 at 22:35

Hoping to get out running again tomorrow night with the running club.  Was hoping a couple of friends who are members might be getting along but they can't so got to brave it alone.  Really need to do it but nervous already.

23/01/2013 at 23:04

LR - good luck for a run tomorrow. I haven't run all week, but I have been swimming. 

Mr Soup is doing well and its really lovely to have him back. Interestingly he had 2 years off work with depression a few years ago which was really severe, but he still ran marathons and got involved in quite strenous gardening as part of his therapy planting trees and such. But he cried every day and couldn't add up and got all the letters the wrong way round when he tried to write. As an educated intelligent person that was hard for him. It really does differ from person to person, there is no one size fits all. 

23/01/2013 at 23:27

*pops back up* 
Hey all, just had a read back - I love this place, you guys are brilliant

Hi new people, nice to meet you.

Massive, massive hugs to by eck, Caz, Mr Soupy and all having a wobbly day

I trained for a marathon while depressed and actively psychotic. It's not always easy but certainly possible if that's what you want. That said I've barely run this year and Sossidge floated the theory that perhaps it was cos I'd depleted my energy with all the amazing DID and OCD work - which is still going well. 

Sorry for going quiet, I tend to withdraw when I'm poorly - feeling a bit fragile but I'm much better now thank you for the kind thoughts   

23/01/2013 at 23:38

Hey Solb, nice to see you back. You take as much space as you need, just so long as you come back to us. 

I'm getting the train home tomorrow and leaving Mr Soup here for a few extra days rest. I'll miss him but I know he's well enough to be left and it will do him good. I need to go back to work and tend our chickens. I don't want to take any liberties at work in a department where I'm asking for redeployment and the girls are good. If it were my old horrid department I'd just say f*** it and call in sick. 

23/01/2013 at 23:51

Likewise, SOLB, good to see you back.

Why am I still around at this time tonight when I managed to get myself settled down at a decent time for a decent night last night and, after a bad start to the week, had a better day for it today.  Can only take things from here and call it a night now.

Night all. xx

24/01/2013 at 00:28

I'll always come back Soupy, I missed you guys

Glad you've made your decision about the next few days, sounds good. Plus we get to learn how much weight the chickens put on in the care of the neighbour! 

Hey LR, hope you get some rest and have a better day tomorrow. I like the thinking behind I can only take things from here and I'm going to do likewise 

Night x 

24/01/2013 at 07:07

It was just my frustration that I seemed to get it right the night before but got it all wrong last night.  Fortunately I'm not feeling too bad this morning.  I find it really tough when I feel really rough in the morning day after day.  Got a challenging end of the week to deal with though.

by 'eck - thinking of you and sending hugs to you all (((the by 'ecks)))

24/01/2013 at 09:01
We finally get to see a dietician today. 3 hours time. Hmmm, he may have finished his cereal by then. It's taken him 75 minutes to eat a handful and I have a very small hand.
24/01/2013 at 09:51

Morning. 

Fingers crossed for the dietician by 'eck.

I'm feeling really emotional today and I could cry easily. It might have something to do with me forgetting to take my tablets for last 3 days. Oops. Or perhaps its just relief that the stress has gone and I'm sad to be leaving this lovely place today. I'm looking out over the sea right now, the weather is mild and its beautiful. 

Have a good day all. 

Hugs to those in need. 

24/01/2013 at 10:57

Morning all

Thank you Soupy for the link, your thoughts and for making me welcome, and thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experience.

24/01/2013 at 16:30

Woohoo - got some more teaching for next week

24/01/2013 at 18:20
Didn't go as we wanted at hospital so I am allowing my brain a break from fighting all the depression etc and giving it space to indulge in some coping mechanisms
24/01/2013 at 18:27

That's impressive by eck, I've just suggested the very same thing in a FB message to you. Snap! 
Lots of love darling, hang in there. Tonight is for doing whatever gets you through, you've been fighting so hard you must be exhausted.  

24/01/2013 at 18:28

Great news, Bear.

Bigs hugs for Soupy (((Soupy))).

Not as good a day for me but I lightened the load a bit by opting out of going out to lunch tomorrow.  We have a person leaving and I felt I ought to attend but it was really stressing me out.  The colleague has only been with us for a very short spell so I used the excuse that we needed office cover on the phones - valid because only one other person is covering. 

Also had weekly lunch with work colleague today.  Use this as a way of bringing up the issue of how difficult I can find not having time to myself in the middle of the day but she just didn't seem to get it at all.  I do talk about my depression to her but it feels the same with that.  Just very frustrating.

24/01/2013 at 18:32

Sorry to hear that, by 'eck.  Hope you can pull through.  Will be thinking of you.

24/01/2013 at 20:14

oh ruddy hell by 'eck, what happened?

24/01/2013 at 20:21

I was really sad this morning but pushed through and had a lovely day looking after minimini then took her home in time to collect mini from school - we all had cake and I've developed a phobia of ducks! Well not quite but they were rather enthusiastic!! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.