Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,201 to 5,220 of 6,029 messages
27/01/2013 at 17:00
Lr, I really battle with non productive days
27/01/2013 at 17:37
Thank you everyone. I wanted to admit it because I know I need help and support
27/01/2013 at 18:23

by eck. The hardest part is admitting it (IMO), there will be help and support now you've made that brave move.

First run in a month today, I couldn't believe it had been that long when I saw my training diary but bad weather and a muddled head have taken their toll. Nice to see green grass and grey pavements again although I did nearly get blown off my feet in the wind! Did a very positive 7 miles then went to the pub for lunch with the family to celebrate my mum's birthday. A good day.

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

27/01/2013 at 18:24

Well you know you'll find plenty of help and support on here, by 'eck.  Maybe in addition to the Virtual Running Club we need a Productive Day Club.

27/01/2013 at 18:47

potato - I see you've entered IM Wales. Lots of pirates doing that again this year, you will be in good company. Are you getting/have you got pirate kit? There should be some good training rides coming up in the summer too. I'm down for Challenge Henley. I'd love to do Tenby but the sea swim and the hills scare the life out of me. It will be my first long distance too. Meant to do Outlaw last year but I was too ill to train, got panic attacks on the bike and all sorts of nonsense.  Good luck. 

PDC - what a good idea. 

27/01/2013 at 18:54

hi - you all ok

27/01/2013 at 19:22

waves to Mick n phil. 

27/01/2013 at 19:26

waves back

27/01/2013 at 19:45

Soup Dragon: I went to spectate at Challenge Henley last year and it looked fun and well organised. I did consider doing it for a while at that time but the call of Ironman was too loud to ignore. I'm also apprehensive about the sea swim as I've had anxiety attacks in mass swim starts before but I'm determined to conquer that particular problem. On the plus side, I like riding up hills and it's a beautiful part of the world too.

Not sure about getting the Pirate kit yet. I have registered on the website, so maybe..?

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 21:10
27/01/2013 at 21:10

ctpotato, you NEED pirate kit.  If you don't want to buy any then beg, borrow or steal it.  The support you get wwhen you wear it is fantastic and will give you such a lift when you are struggling through those final miles

27/01/2013 at 21:31

Agree with what Caz says.  Get involved with the Pirates and you will enjoy your training more and get oodles of support on the day. Not to mention making some great friends.   Why don't you join us at the Pirate feed station at Outlaw this year. Its a great day and good chance to meet people. Then there is Silent Assasin's DIY half ironman in May as  a training session.  In fact everyone can help at the feed station, its hard work but a good time so all welcome. 

Pirate feed station

DIY Half IM

27/01/2013 at 22:02

By Eck - well done. It's a huge thing to come out and say that, and just by doing so you are well on your way to recovery. I couldn't tell dr's either (I have a bit of a compulsion to lie over tricky situations) but nevertheless managed to get on the road to recovery. It can be done esp with the support of those around you.

Having one of those nights. Feel useless and a waste of space. Visiting my bf (long distance relationship) and have cried pretty much all evening over stupid passing comments. To others it just sounds stupid, but whe he's cooking and i'm in the way...well I get upset and feel useless. And this makes me think that I'm just useless and a waste of space in general. And then I start crying. And then any other small thing will set me off (he said he was behind on his work with me coming to visit...this makes my mind translate this as 'your stopping me from working and are wasting my time and i don't want you here'. Stupid but I can't help but get upset. Sorry, bit of a vent. Just helps to write things down.

27/01/2013 at 22:06
Hi all - we ok?
27/01/2013 at 22:36

rwtw - you are not stupid at all. Sorry you are crying though. You have recognised that those thoughts are not helpful which is a good start. Can you try and flip them round at all? Its nice that you are in the way of him cooking, it shows he cares that he wants to prepare dinner or whatever for you. He puts you ahead of his work too.

Bricki - how are you? What happened to your blog?

27/01/2013 at 22:37
I'm ok - had to remove it, someone at work was using it against me unfortunately.
27/01/2013 at 22:44
U alright bricki?
27/01/2013 at 22:50
I'm ok yeah just been better
27/01/2013 at 22:57

Bricki - in case it's an issue, your previous blog was still there last time I looked.

RWTW - I think at time things can just get too much whatever happens.  Just hope your boyfriend understands.

I'm calling it a night now.  Really tired tonight.

Night all. xx

28/01/2013 at 06:46

Morning everyone!

I hope everyone is raring to get into another week! (Or at least hasn't got that dreading feeling)

Well done By Eck for being brave. I'm pleased for you and I hope it helps. You've almost inspired me to be brave (Emphasis on the almost, haha!).

Hello RWTW, from having been a bf who's busy...it's hard because in some respects you have loads of work to do but want to spend all your time with your partner, and you only remember you have loads of work to do on Sunday night! Long distance relationships are really hard, but worth it in the end,

Peace and love y'all!

28/01/2013 at 06:54

I agree that long distance relationships can work. I lived 180 miles from Mr Soup when we first met and we've now been married for almost 26 years. Don't give up rwtw. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.