Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,301 to 5,320 of 6,029 messages
03/02/2013 at 22:35

I'm guessing that's someone who doesn't normally do phone calls in which case that's great to hear.

Glad you pulled through OK but I can imagine that's left you pretty shaken and must have made it difficult to continue with your journey.

rwtw - great to hear things are well with you. 

Just getting into don't want to go to bed mode cos if I do it will be Monday morning when I wake up.

04/02/2013 at 14:36
Right, very soon I am going to have a massive falling out with myself
04/02/2013 at 18:03

What's up, by 'eck?

04/02/2013 at 19:04
Just this daft eating thing. I didn't take enough calories yesterday to balance out my run so I had a lousy headache this morning and needed help from my parents.
04/02/2013 at 20:29

Big hugs, (((by 'eck)))

04/02/2013 at 20:43
Cheers LR. I chickened out of my run tonight. I justified it by saying I had already walked a fair bit today and I wanted to spend time with Mr by eck.
04/02/2013 at 22:29

Well some days it has to be done.  I've certainly made no effort at all tonight - in fact I went to bed for nap when I got in.  Plan is to get away from work early tomorrow to give myself time to eat and get my head straight before going for the running club run.

04/02/2013 at 23:05

The phone call was from someone who has never been able to phone me before.  Someone we all know and who is a bit quiet at the moment.  Someone who is doing a fantastic job of fighting the OCD

By 'eck, I hardly drink caffeine and this weekend was the first time that I have drunk alcohol this year, and I was well behaved.

The near miss didn't shake me up too much at the time.  I am good at pigeonholing things away until I have time to deal with them.  It hit me the next morning instead, when I had time to think.

I've been a bit emotional all of today too.  But in a good way - cheerful and bouncy.  The accident made me realise quite a few things about my life and problems that have been bugging me for a while suddenly had solutions.  Nothing like thinking you are going to die to put things in perspective.

04/02/2013 at 23:19

Sounds a bit like the sort of thing I hear about people who have battled through a life threatening illness in that it makes them value their life all the more.  Makes me think though - why is it so difficult for me to value all the good things I have got in my life and feel good about that.  It really shouldn't take something like that to make a difference but that's how it seems to work.

I think your clues have definitely given away the mystery person now.  Certainly is good to hear.

05/02/2013 at 10:13

Morning all. Glad to hear you are okay after your scary encounter Caz. 

Food and exercise is something that definately go together! Me and Mr Soup have started the FAST diet (just so get rid of  a few Jan/Feb pounds) where you restrict calories to 500 or 600 on 2 days a week. Yesterday was my 500 day but I still biked to work and then did a 1000m swim. Then I went to the pictures and by 9pm I felt tired, nauseous and really crap.  Couldn't get home fast enough for a quick snack. Didn't help that the film was boring as hell - Lincoln. Very disappointing. 

Anyway, I'm going to be lurking more and popping in now and then because I'm trying to change my mind set from being ill to being well. Because I think I am well!!  But this thread is so special that I want to keep in touch and hear how everyone is getting on. 

Love and kisses to everyone including lurkers. There is always hope. For me it has been the change in work environment. 

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 10:14
05/02/2013 at 10:55
Soupy, I am interested in this plan. I heard about it from a Dr friend.
05/02/2013 at 10:58

It seems to be working by'eck and I'm hoping it will deal with my high cholesterol too. But balancing calorie restriction with exercise is a bit difficult. Not sure if it would suit you with your eating disorder or not. I suppose it might help if you know for 2 days that you don't have to eat, just so long as you eat normally on the other days. 

05/02/2013 at 11:30
That's what I'm thinking. Its the control IM seeking from the ED.
We should be starting our new kitchen in 2 weeks. That means lots of cooking, cleaning and packing...
05/02/2013 at 16:04
Moo and I have done lots of sorting. Nothing was too out of date, but we had great fun squishing boxes
05/02/2013 at 17:59

Bit of a black cloud day today.  Fortunately things are busy at work so that's keeping me going.  Got to face up to the challenge of getting out running tonight.  Needs to be done.

05/02/2013 at 23:16

Run achieved.  Ran OK but wasn't feeling too good so I took the option of a shorter route back to the start with some of the others keen to bail out.  It just mean 4 miles instead of 5.  Happy with that for tonight.

06/02/2013 at 12:19
Looks like we all need a large mug of tea to get us going this morning....
06/02/2013 at 21:05

It has certainly gone quiet.  I hope everyone is too busy to get on here rather than anything more sinister

06/02/2013 at 21:11
I ran!! 5.5 miles

How are you SC?
06/02/2013 at 21:16

Just catching up on e-mails and stuff and hadn't got round to it yet.  Good effort by 'eck.  Football night for me tonight so done running of sorts but can't specify the distance.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.