Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,341 to 5,360 of 6,031 messages
07/02/2013 at 22:47

Rwtw, London is OK, at least there is transport around, buses every 5 - 10 minutes, trains and the tube, unlike my out in the sticks, every half hour for a train or bus.

LR you are quite right the older you get the more set in your ways and ideas. I have told Mr Steady if he becomes too much like his father I will divorce him.

Hope Solb is doing OK.

By 'eck, good luck with the kitchen, when we had ours done, the temporary kitchen was an old unit in the hallway which had the cutlery draw in and a bit of old worktop over the old fridge and freezer. The kettle, toaster and microwave were used a lot. Planing ahead is a very good idea. Neccessity is the mother of invention is a quote that frequently came to mind.

07/02/2013 at 22:48

Got the wrong end of the stick there, rwtw.  Glad that the job move is a positive one and just the in-between bit that's the problem.

08/02/2013 at 16:07

Solb was sounding positive last time I spoke to her.  She is having trouble getting on the internet which is why she isn't around much but she is still talking by text.

I've eaten gluten and made myself ill

08/02/2013 at 18:16

Oh dear SuperCaz, have you tried taking probiotic tablets or yoghurt, Mr Steady finds it eases the discomfort when he has eaten gluten.
Glad to hear Solb is OK, thought she might have internet troubles.

08/02/2013 at 18:24

I eat a lot of natural yoghurt CJ

To be honest, this time it is the legthargy and achiness that is the problem rather than my stomach.  My stomach hurts but I can deal with that as long as nobody pisses me off.  My temper might be a little frayed.

08/02/2013 at 18:54

I find Mr Steady to be a bit grumpy, usually he is cross with himself for eating gluten, but just having to wait until the symptoms die down is horrible. (()) if you want them. He reckons knowing the problems if he eats wrong makes him stick to gluten free, he finds walking past a pasty shop torture due to the wafting smells of the pasties.

08/02/2013 at 19:25

Someone brought cakes in today.  I wasn't in the least bit tempted as I knew the taste wouldn't be worth the pain.

08/02/2013 at 20:18

moo had 3 cornflakes with traces of gluten in last saturday. I think he may have it out of his system now

08/02/2013 at 21:40

Yep, sounds about right, Mr Steady is about 5 days to clear it out of his system. Cornflakes are a pain to find GF ones, but we now go to Waitrose or Asda as a special trip and bulk buy the Whole Earth brand as its a pound cheaper than the other brands.

I need something to stop me eating too much chocolate, even hypnosis failed to tame my liking of the stuff.

08/02/2013 at 21:43

Steady - with you on the chocolate. I have just eaten far too much and feeling very very guilty...

08/02/2013 at 21:43

Did someone mention chocolate?

08/02/2013 at 22:21

Chocolate

Cornflakes   They are the devils food

08/02/2013 at 22:29

It's chocolate o'clock for me, having got through another week.

Despite this I am trying to address my bad diet by investing in the Bach remedies 'Emotional eating kit'. which is supposed to help with comfort eating.  I really am uncomfortable with my current weight and it does affect my self-confidence.  It's not by any mean that bad, but it's just something that bothers me a lot.  Getting a few pounds off would help.

09/02/2013 at 11:00

I've lost 9kg since the beginning of December.  It's not been intentional

09/02/2013 at 11:51

That's sounds a pretty dramatic loss in such a short space of time, Caz. 

09/02/2013 at 12:20

Half of it was due to my stomach not liking gluten (or something similar).  I've had three periods where I haven't been able to eat properly becasue of it.

The rest is just because I have significantly increased the training and haven't worked out how to get enough food inside me.  My stomach feels permanently full so I can't eat any more.

I'm not worried about it yet.  I still have at least another stone of fat on me so I'm not about to starve.  I lost weight in a similar manner when I started marathon training, until I learnt how to get the balance right.  If I get down to 70kg then I will start worrying.  I've still got 7kg to go before I get that far.

09/02/2013 at 12:40
I need persuading that going out for a long run today is a good idea. I'll be at least 2 hours. I know how to stay warm and fuelled
09/02/2013 at 12:48

No run for me today but I'm off to the football match this afternoon and am going to walk there and back - about 5 miles in all.  Any benefit from the walk may be offset by the fact that a pub at the other end is involved.

Go for it, by 'eck.  To take you literally - it's a good idea.  You know it makes sense!

09/02/2013 at 12:56
Pub sounds good LR
09/02/2013 at 13:08

It does - but a pub full of Lincoln City supporters isn't always the cheeriest of places these days.  In fact it doesn't get full anymore!  Gotta hit the road.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.