Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,561 to 5,580 of 6,031 messages
08/03/2013 at 07:44

Thanks, SOLB.  I've had a bad week but have taken a couple of positive steps last night.  I've arranged a meeting with the union at work to discuss where I stand if I have to go for hospital appointments as I wouldn't want to disclose the reason at work.  Also, as panic attacks have stopped me getting out with the running club this week, I have e-mailed someone in the club to ask them to pass on a message to the run leader for next week.  I'm hoping I would find it easier if the person taking the run knows the problems I'm having.

08/03/2013 at 08:35

Hi. I wanted to ask if people here struggled with the mental toughness side of running, especially when they're not well? I've got serious depression and while I find my strength is the best its ever been as I've been going to a GP referral gym group for around 8 months now and can bound/crawl up hills which defeated me in better times, I no longer have the abilility to push on past mild fatigue. I ran my first half marathon without stopping. Admittedly, my second was faster with walking but it was in the USA so very humid and undulating was an understatement.

If I'm really bad and have forced myself to gym class and go on the treadmill, I've only managed 2 mins before my breathing becomes tight and panicky and I have to stop in tears.

Hate that running is so difficult now

08/03/2013 at 08:50
Depression affects your self belief and confidence so when you feel like something might be aching or its getting hard your brain says "ok, you can't do this, it's too hard, time to give up". Where I live is surrounded by hills. Some days I seek them out, others I opt for a quick jog in the park because that is all I feel I can do. On more than one occasion I've failed to even get to the top of our road (I live on a hill) and decided it wasn't worth carrying on. Yup, depression is a pig to running. I'm sorry you're finding it so tough. Set little manageable targets. Your past achievement aren't there to beat yourself up over. I've run marathons, but I'm not at that point in my current cycle so I'm not aiming to go out and run one tomorrow.
08/03/2013 at 16:58

Yes, definitely, TTM.  The mental side of running is 100% the problem for me.  I know I can run reasonably well when I'm OK mentally but that's very rare these days.  Treadmill running I find even more difficult.  I tried it a while ago when we had the wintry weather and I couldn't get out on the roads.  I did a bit more than your 2 minutes but only got as far as 10 minutes before I couldn't bear it any more.  Rather a costly gym membership there as I haven't been back since.  Sounds like you've got some positives there with your hill work.  I know I'm doing OK when I can get up the hill.  It opens up so many more options when I can.  At the moment getting out at all is proving a challenge for me though. 

Hows things with you at the moment, by 'eck?

10/03/2013 at 22:49

Hows things with people out there?

I've had a positive response from the person in the running club that I contacted re my panic attacks.  She's passed my message onto the run leader for this Thursday so she'll be aware so I hope that will help with getting me running this week again.  Only complication is that the person that was scheduled to be leading the run is not going to be doing it now so we'll see how it goes.

Got out for a muddy orienteering session today which went OK.  Didn't manage all that much running though - but it's a start.

Things going a bit better but tired out now and another week's work to face.  Things are never easy.

11/03/2013 at 08:42
We getting into a little routine
I need to go to the dentist but I think they will do a root canal and I am petrified
11/03/2013 at 10:26

Morning all!

I found another job to apply for late last night

Trouble is - it's due in today, and it's an online application so I'm having to madly fill in sections rather than just be able to use a standard CV (I'd tailor it to the job anyway).

I'm not as excited as for the last one but it's still research experience which will be good and I do have an interest.  I need some work now as I think it'll be beneficial to me quite apart from the money.

11/03/2013 at 18:05

Glad to hear you are settling into a routine by 'eck.

Fingers crossed for you XFR bear.

11/03/2013 at 21:05

Thanks CJ

11/03/2013 at 21:59
We had a routine then we developed tube problems
11/03/2013 at 23:33

Job app done - THUD!

Aw boo by 'eck, NG tubes can be a pain

12/03/2013 at 09:16
Well done Bear
I go to the dentist today. I'm so pleased that I rang up and spoke to them. And told my mum I had toothache.
NG tube needed wiggling, re-taping and a new cap. New cap is red and moo has already pulled it off... Think the nurse should have just listened to me abd put a new one in
13/03/2013 at 07:48

Hope the dentist went OK, by 'eck.  That's my worst phobia too.

Good luck with the job application, Bear.

Made an appointment with my GP yesterday as I definitely need more help.  Really struggling to keep going at the moment.  Dealing with it at work is the thing that concerns me most as I don't want anyone else at work to know.

13/03/2013 at 09:53
LR, well done on making an appt. Please let us know how we can support you.
I have to go back to the dentist next week for her to do a proper filling. Nurses are coming out again as moo's tube did a reappearing act in the night.
Bear, hope you get on well with the job application
13/03/2013 at 21:15

Thanks, by 'eck.  There's two areas of concern really.  One is the issue with work.  Colleagues would be mostly supportive but I don't want them to know because I can't trust them to keep quiet.  Management I don't want to know - but I do have to raise the issue of needing to disappear off for appointments without being willing to say why. 

Then the appointments themselves.  I find it very daunting the prospect of opening up to a totally stranger and feel concerned that it might not happen.

Oh well, see how it goes.

13/03/2013 at 21:29

Injury is driving me crazy. Big black hole

16/03/2013 at 17:27

Quite understand, rwtw.  Thankfully I've not had too much trouble with injuries but I'm often feeling too depressed and anxious to run - and that just makes me more depressed and anxious.

What is the injury and how long do you expect to be out?

17/03/2013 at 12:29

Hey LR - hope you're hanging on. Bit quiet on here atm and that's a bit concerning :/

I went out on a LSR last Sunday and at about 5 miles got intense pain in my right leg and could barely walk. Think it's a trapped nerve and all week been in a lot of pain. Trying to find a physio asap but been away all week so it's been a pain. Hoping it'll get better in another week, but getting concenred for the marathon. There's one i can do in my home town thats 6 weeks later than the one i'm entered for, but its just at what point do i pull out

Realised how much running keeps me sane. As soon as i don't have the regular exericse tiny things set me off, and I start massively obsessing about weight and body image...

17/03/2013 at 13:18

I was supposed to running a 10k race today but didn't make it.  I did recover from a bad start to last week and was doing better Wednesday and Thursday.  Thursday night  I got out for my first run in about 3 weeks with the running club.  Went well too so felt really good to be up and running again.  This weekend though the stress and strain of just keeping going has caught up with me and I've been totally out of action.  Just hope I can get going better again this week and get running again.  The worry is if I'm like this more of the time then I won't be able to keep getting to work.

It's difficult for you to know when to pull out of the marathon, but at least there's a back up plan there for you.  Just hope things get better for you as it is frustrating when there's nothing you can do and you don't know how long it will take to recover.

19/03/2013 at 18:32

Been back to my GP today and am being referred to Mental Health for further support.  I'm OK with that in itself, but it's how it affects things with work that bothers me more.  I have always intended not to let on as to why I would be needing to go to appointments - but now it comes to it I feel it's an awkward one either way.  If I do tell I feel it's something on my record that can affect future opportunities and prospects.  If I don't tell then my lack of co-operation in not willing to be open about things doesn't give a positive message either.  Anyone else got any thoughts on this or the benefit of past experience?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.