Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,621 to 5,640 of 6,029 messages
26/03/2013 at 15:38

Hi Christopher. Sorry to hear about your knee. Well done on the slimming though. 

26/03/2013 at 18:31

Hi Christopher and Dudey.  My e-mail notifications don't seem to be working for this forum so I hadn't realised there had been this much activity.

I rang mental health today and apparently that means I'm registered but they then ring me to make an appointment.  That will mean I'll have to ring them back as I certainly don't want to give my work number. 

Christopher - how are you finding citalopram.  I've been taking it for 4 months and - this probably doesn't sound encouraging but things are diffferent from one person to another - I'm not feeling any better.  Here's where I've got to confess - I was late requesting my prescription again and ran out last week.  By the time I got some I was feeling better so just didn't want to take one.  This came to an end on Sunday after I had a really bad sleepless night.  Not something I should have done without talking to my GP further.  Still felt rough yesterday -  bit better today.

Need to get out to the running club tonight.  Next 10k is only 12 days away and really don't want to waste another race entry.  Trouble is after one failed attempt last week it only makes it more difficult to face again.

Hugs to all.  Good luck with the job application - Soupy.  Hugs to Moo too - by eck.

26/03/2013 at 18:51

I'm on Citalopram and it seems to suit me. Side effects for the first month were dreadful and running helped with the fuzzy head feal no end.  I'm not aware of any side effects now and I'm much more stable in mood. I've nearly run out on holiday a couple of times and had to take on alternate days but by the end of the week on that dose my anxiety is starting to run rampant. 

Perhaps you need a change of meds LR. The mental health team will no doubt advise you on that so hope you get an appointment soon. 

No running for me today. Not even a swim or a bike but I think the rest day and positve steps towards a new job count as a worthwhile day off. 

26/03/2013 at 19:53

Couldn't do it.  Got down to the sports centre but was in panic mode by then so just turned round and came home again.  Really frustrating.  Oh well, have to give it another go on Thursday.  Can't really back out of the next 10k as people will be expecting me to do it but at this rate it's going to be really uncomfortable.

26/03/2013 at 20:00
Oh Soup Dragon that's terrible, big hugs and good luck with the application.

LR, I ran out of my meds last week and was without for 4 days. I felt TERRIBLE. Doc said that when ppl come off them they lower dosages/do one day on, one day off etc so you're not meant to go cold turkey. It took 3 days to feel better again after taking them again. Hope you feel better soon.

Xx
26/03/2013 at 20:03

Passes hugs blanket to LR.

LR - why not do a race for yourself, not for what people expect. If you don't feel like it don't do it. Although you will probably feel good if you do. 

26/03/2013 at 20:40

Thanks.  The temptation to stay off the tablets was due to the fact that I was, initially feeling better without them - whether that was coincidence or not I don't know.  It was not a sensible idea just to stop though.

The thing with the next 10k was not about people I'm doing the race with - more about people that know I'm supposed to be doing it and it would be difficult to explain why I didn't turn out.  It's the Lincoln 10k which is always a brilliant atmosphere but I've never felt very good or run very well there.  It would be good just to feel I could actually enjoy it for once.

26/03/2013 at 20:53

Then run it for yourself LR. If you don't get the result you want just put it down to a calf strain or something if you need to justify yourself. Its annoying that physical injuries are understood when mental ones are just as valid. So you are not being untruthful, just couching your difficulty in different terms. That would be my argument anyway. 

26/03/2013 at 20:59

Yes, it's just a case of I need to get there and get round and I'm sure I will.  I do still have a few more opportunities to get out running between now and then so will see if I can manage it.  The next difficulty will probably that I've got a visit to family looming at the weekend which will make it harder.  Anyway will just have to take that as it comes.

26/03/2013 at 21:51
More hugs
26/03/2013 at 22:07

Thanks, by 'eck.  I obviously feel down at a time like this but will just have to pick myself up again.

30/03/2013 at 12:23

Quiet this weekend. Hope everyone is okay. 

I did a bike ride to the place of the job I've applied for yesterday just to make sure I could do it as the bus would take me 90mins! I biked it in 28 mins fine so fingers still crossed.  I ticked the box for a guaranteed interview on the grounds of disability so I should get one and it starts the process of without any secrets. It was a bit of a risk but I thought I'd be open and honest.  Closing date next Friday. 

Right off for a bike ride now. 

30/03/2013 at 21:59

Good luck with the interview then, Soupy.

Been a rather mixed week for me.  Certainly felt better at work as the week went on and had a succesful run with the running club on Thursday night.  I'd even go as far to say I felt better for it afterwards - which is the all important, but rarely achieved objective.  I did try to follow this up with joining the club on a rehearsal run for their 6 mile trail race.  Managed about the first mile but then I just couldn't keep running - well I could but if I did I would have passed out.  Anyway, forget about that and take the confidence booster from Thursday into next week.

How's everyone else doing?

31/03/2013 at 16:55

Hellloooo everyone. Good luck on the interview Soupy.

Also mixed week for me. Work going really well and enjoying it, but still very injured and walking is a struggle, and its driving me reall crazy. I'm stressing a lot about my weight and getting really body conscious and anxiety is kicking in a lot. Also have an exam coming up and the lack of running is meaning i am finding it hard to concentrate / have any confidence in myself whatsoever. Hoping it'll improve though...

31/03/2013 at 17:00

I so understand the lack of confdence thing RWTW.  Having a really bad time of it at the moment too

31/03/2013 at 22:19

Want to talk SC? Don't bottle it all up. You are so helpful to others, don't be scared to take help for yourself. 

31/03/2013 at 22:29

Hi, RWTW.  Sorry to hear you're not up and running yet.  Hope work can take your mind off things as much as possible as it's really difficult when you can't run.

31/03/2013 at 22:53

yes sorry RWTW, didn't mean to ignore you there. Good luck on the exam and hope you manage to get running again soon. Its hard when exercise is our lifeline isn't it? 

Hugs to all in need. 

02/04/2013 at 11:48

Apolgies - I have not read all the replies, but I felt I should reply myself because of my recent issues.

I served in the Army (left in 1993). After almost 20years I have recently ben diagnosed with PTSD and just spent 6 weeks residential treatment at Combat Stress - because of a trauma from 1992.

I started running (road) again about a year ago and found that I would either go out and think of nothing but my trauma. This would often make me worse - pounding the road miles, often not even remembering where I had been. I then met a similar suffere who suggested trail running.

Because you are concentrating on the terrain and not 'falling over', I found this helped my mood massively.

I left Combat Stress 6 weeks ago and I am still seeing outreach people to check how I am getting on. All during my stay I exercised every day and with therapy, I maintain that exercise helps any mental illness - so do Therapists. Healthy body and mind....

02/04/2013 at 17:54

Hi Clive.  Good to hear you've found the trail running helping your mood.  I'd love to do more off road stuff but I find with my anxiety, uneven surfaces tend to make me feel worse so road running tends to work better.  I do still remain committed to doing more off road stuff whenever I can though. 

Things have been a bit quiter on here of late but do keep posting and let us know how you're getting on.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.