Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,681 to 5,700 of 6,055 messages
12/04/2013 at 19:45

Oh, I've got an interview for the job I applied for the other week so its not all hopeless.  Its on 25th April. 

12/04/2013 at 19:45

Big hugs (((Soupy))).  I did think things were heading the right way for you workwise but that's definitely not the case.

Although I've spoken to you separately hugs for Caz too - (((Caz))).

12/04/2013 at 19:46

Good luck with the interview Soup.

12/04/2013 at 19:57

(((Hugs))) for anyone who feels the need for them.  I'm in a huggy mood and have nobody to share them with

12/04/2013 at 20:06

Hugs are a shame to waste

12/04/2013 at 20:11

I hug everyone Clive, so it doesn't matter that we've never met

12/04/2013 at 20:14

Cheers Caz - never ome to turn down a hug - hugged

13/04/2013 at 13:51

I had forgotten how much doing something you love can lift your mood.  Just back from a 40 min river swim with the sun shining on our backs and the trees showing the first signs of green.  Beautiful, and for the first time in weeks the smile was a genuine one.

13/04/2013 at 14:00

Great news, Caz.  Let's hope that's a real turning point for you.

I think the running I've done this week - 4 runs in all - has helped me feel a bit better.  Even so, I'm struggling to get going today.

13/04/2013 at 14:29

I think it could be.  The improvement in the weather has helped a lot, and just being outside in the fresh air.  I think that this winter has been so long that a lot of people are suffering from vitamin D deficiency who wouldn't normally have a problem.

13/04/2013 at 15:54

Running has always helped my PTSD. Found off road running to be even better - having to concentrate on where my feet are placed!

13/04/2013 at 16:01

You are in a better place than me Caz. Its cold and chucking it down with rain here. So glad you have had a good swim though. I might head out the pool shortly but I'm waiting for the rain to stop as I have to go on my bike.

Tomorrow I draft a response to the snotty email I got from work. I am going to make it honest but not snotty. Still doing some calculations on how much money I need for the next 6 months should worse come to the worse.  I feel like I'm about to start an adventure. 

13/04/2013 at 18:37

So proud of you soupy.  It takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing but it will be worth it in the end.  I never once regreted quitting my job without another one to go to.  It did me the world of good in the long run

13/04/2013 at 19:02

Thats reassuing Caz, I do wonder at times if I'm doing the right thing, and does it matter if my employer is crap so long as they pay me? I fear I'm just acting on a principal and sort of cutting my own nose off a bit. The truth is I have no trust in them, but if I end up staying in the department I am now is that really so bad?   My job right now is easy (but boring), and I'd have to go on full time hours if I change jobs.

Scared of the unknown and change I suppose.

13/04/2013 at 19:14

Thats natural.  Very few of us like change at the best of times but when you feel that you have been pushed into it by someone else and that it isn't really your choice then it is even harder.

Quitting my job led to leaving my husband, leaving my house, leaving my friends and taking up a new life in a part of the country I had never even visited before.  Its been very traumatic but I've also had some of the best times of my life in the last 18 months and I know that in another 6 months I will be all sorted out and looking forward to a completely new beginning.

14/04/2013 at 15:08

Just drafted a response to my employer on their email. I've also realised that if I leave the NHS now and then return later I will lose my place at the top of the pay scale and my long service annual leave benefits, not to mention my pension being moved to less favourable rates. So I have to stay until I find another job.

I've suggested ACAS mediation to them as a possible way forward. 

Hope everyone is enjoying this warm weather.

14/04/2013 at 18:10

Hope that works out for you, Soupy.  Getting another job would definitely be the best way forward.

Had a bit of rubbish day today.  Really not felt like moving but have finally managed to motivate myself to do a few essential jobs. before crashing out on the sofa again.  Frustrating as I was hoping the running was going to help me feel a bit better.  Will just have to take the running as a positive from this week and hope for more of the same.

14/04/2013 at 19:57
Can't remember how long it is since I posted. I have been lurking and sending hugs. Thjngs have just been very busy and mentally ddemanding and felt unseen to post.
but you guys are fab
14/04/2013 at 21:11

Sending hugs (((by eck)))

15/04/2013 at 16:54

*unlurks* 
*delivers hugs to all* 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.