Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,681 to 5,700 of 6,029 messages
16/04/2013 at 20:40

I could do with a pile of hugs.  I'm very stressed at the moment as I have so much going on and a huge event in 10 days that I am frankly scared about.

And I have just found out that a close friend is stable but critically ill in hospital and another very good friend is looking after her.  I'm not convinced that she will come out of hospital

16/04/2013 at 20:47
Hugs to everyone
16/04/2013 at 20:57

(((Oh Caz)))

16/04/2013 at 21:05

Big hugs (((Caz)))

17/04/2013 at 19:24

Lots of hugs Caz.

Solb - yeah its a really tricky one. Ended up getting a bit down last night and messaged someone I work with who i've grown to trust, and so just told him. Has helped a bit to get some of the weight off, but still feel a bit fake as noone else knows any of my past. Also annoying as I'd really like to raise some more awareness around eating disorders as mine was exercise based, and its so common for them to happen, but I'm very unsure how 'coming out' as having an eating disorder would go down at work.....especially when I'm so new and junior. 

17/04/2013 at 22:07

Rubbish day today.  Still feeling a bit of a mess after last nights cancellation so work was difficult to get through.  Had orienteering to go to after work.  Didn't really feel up to it but still went.  Worse feared scenario happened though as our club chairman - who knows about my situation - had a go at me.  Happened last week and I was just at breaking point and shouted and swore at him.  Going to make it even more difficult to turn up at events now.  It just really hurts that someone that I have confided in in that way could be so uncaring.

18/04/2013 at 22:43

Feeling a bit more stable now, but I could be knocked over again easily.  The friend I mentioned before is still in hospital but is significantly improved.  Enough that I don't need to worry about them as much.

This seems to be such a crap year for so many people.  I just want all my friends to get sorted out and be happy. Can you believe that three people I know have been in hospital this week?  The guys at work joke that they don't want to be my friend becasue then something bad will happen to them.

29/04/2013 at 20:17

I am happier now, how is your friend SuperCaz? 

29/04/2013 at 20:35

Hi, SOLB, good to hear you're doing OK.

I seem to be recovering from attempting an urban orienteering yesterday when I was really in no condition to be doing it.  Just couldn't cope with having people around me at all.  I'm also currently got another 8 week wait before a further appointment so am going to try to get my medication changed as the citalopram is definitely doing nothing for me.

29/04/2013 at 20:55

I've spent the last 10 min hunting for this thread and as soon as I give up I find it back in it's righful place at the top of the page.

Solb, I heard today that my friend has gone into the hospice.

Otherwise I am doing good.

Good to see you LR.  I don't like it when people go quiet

29/04/2013 at 21:17

Sad news, Caz.

How are our other lurkers getting on?

29/04/2013 at 21:50

just found this thread/ i used running to get over my diagnosed stress this winter. i then fell off my push bike 2 months ago and did this cut, broke my wrist, bruised my brain and hip bone and am now not  allowed to run for at least the next 4 months. hmm. 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/358091/gallery/image0051.jpg?width=350

keeping things positive is my new mental challenge. i relie on training to help make me feel good. will see tomorrow at the doctors if i can start on the spinning bike and do no impact Calisthenics. Crying is part of my new self, which is interesting as my wife now describes me as a pregnant old man- i have had the odd moment acting like a forgetful grumpy old man crying at birds feeding in the garden.

keep smiling folks and just enjoy he chance to run when it presents its self. 

29/04/2013 at 22:21

Looks very nasty, S1.  Hope you're up and running again soon.  I'd certainly hate to be ruled out of running for that long.

29/04/2013 at 23:58

LR be proud that you pushed it, and kind to yourself now you are exhausted! It's a tricky balance isn't it?

Ha ha glad the thread is home again SCaz, I am very sorry about your friend though, that must be tough. 

Wow sleepless that is one heck of an injury, it is really tough when exercise as a coping strategy gets pulled away. I've had a similar if considerably less dramatic experience too with asthma that has taken a very long time to control. New coping strategies are hard to find and not as effective but doing 'stuff' helps. I learned to knit and have been learning to cook. I am relieved to be running again now though, as I am sure you will be in another few months! I am still a bit speechless by that impressive injury, you did a 'proper job there!' 

+1 to asking how the lurkers are

30/04/2013 at 09:54

Morning. I'm well. Had an awful time at Stratford Half at the weekend and pulled out at 2 miles to do my own thing along the river. I was right at the back with nobody in sight but the cyclist bringing up the rear. So it gave me a wake-up call to run more and I'm off out in a minute for a half hour plod. 

Yesterday I went for a tennis lesson at the gym and LOVED it. I met up with a partner to practice with and we booked a court for Thursday. I can do a swim afterwards too.

Then tomorrow I go on a trip to York on the Orient Express!!!!!!! I've bought a 20s style hat and get a manicure this afternoon. So excited. 

Still not heard from my interview last week so looking doubtful but there is so much other good stuff going on that I'm not too sad about it. 

Oh, I also got an app for depression that helps me keep track of my mood and has tips for challenging thinking errors with a diary to talk me through how I can re-think things. I'll try and find a link if I can. 

Good to hear from Solb 

Hi Sleepless - take of that injury, looks nasty.

30/04/2013 at 10:04

Depression App

edit - link didn't work trying again. Pasting link in case

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.excelatlife.depression&hl=en

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 10:05
30/04/2013 at 10:32

Oooo wow to the tennis lesson, sounds fab! I like the idea of meeting up with a tennis partner too. Soupy you awesome little thing! 

Sorry about the half, but there will be other races to storm and perhaps if it motivates you to feel positive getting some more running in then it isn't all bad. 

I've been trying to be aware of the negative thoughts that I'm letting rage when I'm blue, unsurprisingly mostly it's massive self criticism ... no wonder I struggle with feeling ashamed all the time I beat myself up with real or imagined stuff constantly! 

It is a beautiful morning, I was slobbing about feeling fat but having logged on I now feel like a run would be more productive *toddles off* 

30/04/2013 at 12:34

i forgot to kurk and now i feel like a really cr4p person for not knowing what is going on with my friends.

30/04/2013 at 12:50

don't worry about kurking by eck. We forgive you and hope you are looking after yourself. Thats the main thing. How are you doing?

30/04/2013 at 17:29

Cheers Soup, keeping a diary is a good idea. I forget how my moods change and it seems loking back over the past 2 months that my depression is driven by hunger or tiredness. I don't know about you guys but more sleeping and eating sounds good to me! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.