Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,861 to 5,880 of 6,055 messages
16/05/2013 at 23:30

Thanks peeps

17/05/2013 at 08:05

Good luck today, Bear

17/05/2013 at 08:40

Thanks Frodo

Feeling better about it this morning. So much more reading up I could do but sod it!

17/05/2013 at 13:12

Well that seemed to go well - fluffed the equal ops question but otherwise good

17/05/2013 at 13:52

Oh Bear that's brilliant news, be proud!!! 

I'M TIIIIIIIIRED zzzzz

17/05/2013 at 18:17

*waves to Mr.P and Frodo* Brilliant Bear, well done. So pleased you gave of your best

today I have mostly been shovelling shit on my allotment. I was really down about it last year but thanks to my allotment buddy I'm growing everything in boxes this year. I'll need another load but I now have peas, beans, courgettes, spuds, kale, carrots, onions, shallots, pink fir apples and beetroot growing Oh, and lettuces. I've left my allotment buddy a bottle of Swedish vodka in his garage to say thank you

17/05/2013 at 18:37

One slight concern - they mentioned flexible working. I'm not averse to staying late if we've got something to finish off but it's linked to the hospital I was working at which had working evenings and weekends as standard, which I don't want to go back to.  I guess I'll see if they offer me the job and ask then

Oooh - I'd love an allotmemt

17/05/2013 at 18:51

*huffs* where's my wave? 

Your allotment buddy sounds fantastic Sossidge ... but not as fantastic as coming to yours for dinner when all the produce appeart - I'll pull a token weed out so it won't be taking advantage..

I dread to ask this but ..... what makes Swedish vodka special? 

I think that's the best frame of mind to be in Bear, absolutely no point in worrying about things if they may not become an issue. If you were offered the job but turned it down cos the hours didn't suit you'd be no worse off so you can't lose really. Hopefully they do just mean flexible as in staying late, it's also pretty standard job description material ... sometimes it's just to stop you having a tantrum if asked to do something that's not in your job description - like making me some tea *flutters eyelashes*

I had a really fantastic run this evening, I love running so so much I was just so happy. Long may the awesome running continue! 

17/05/2013 at 18:57

Yes that's what I thought - it was just after another thing where they said if I started after the tenth of the month then I wouldn't get paid for six weeks so I just took it as standard at first but now I've thought it could be something more it's preying on my mind.

I really found it killed my social life off so if it is the 12 hour shift thing from before I think it's best avoided even though I could do with some pay! Thhere'll be other jobs. They were really nice though and with that caveat I think I'd enjoy working with them

17/05/2013 at 18:58

Oooh good running Solb - did the heart and lungs behave?

17/05/2013 at 19:07

You know what Bear, yes they did, admirably  

I wouldn't worry too much about the 6 week pay thing, it'd only be a very temporary challenge if it all worked out you'd have a stable happy job doing something you are really good at and making a difference for years. 6 weeks of beans on toast doesn't sound so bad in comparison. 

17/05/2013 at 19:17

Nooo the six week pay delay isn't the worry, it's the working stupid shifts which kill off social life. I don't want to have impro messed up

17/05/2013 at 19:21

I think you were wise in deciding to wait and see what happens regarding an offer, if they make an offer they may even be willing to negotiate. I'd negotiate to have a Bear working for me! 

17/05/2013 at 19:34

Not much I can do now anyway - they'll have finished work until Monday. They've got some more interviews then too - they said I'd probably hear Tuesday.

Wish I was one of these peeps who didn't keep thunking when it makes no difference I have a good plan of action so it's just wasted brain activity.

Have you got any jobs Solb?

17/05/2013 at 22:11

I think one job SOLB has is to read the book her best friend sent her today, right SOLB? *giggles mischievously*

Bear, that's completely the right approach. Wait for an offer and then negotiate. It sounds like you got on well with the panel, which counts for a lot! 

The 'lottie is great and saves us a huge amount in veg bills but it's bloody hard work. I almost gave it up last year. My plot is the weediest patch and had trees planted on it before I got it. After three years struggling, I've tarpaulined it over completely and am growing everything in boxes filled with...erm...shit It'll save my battered back from all the weeding and digging and it's giving me more space. Hurrah!

Off to Exeter tomorrow to see some friends of Mr.S. The chap is fine, the wife is really odd, I never know where I am with her. I like to think I'm pretty congenial but she's taken a dislike to me and I'm not sure why. I'm in hosp for an invasive procedure on Monday and I could do without it tbh, but I'll suck it up!

have good weekends all...I probably won't post for a while but I'll be thinking of all of you x

17/05/2013 at 22:54

Yes we really did seem to get on well, we even shared a few jokes.

I want to work there but I think it's very important to my mental health atm not to lose my social life.

I wish I could stop thunking!

We used to have an allotment when I was a kid - used to love getting fresh stuff

18/05/2013 at 00:03

Here's a CBT site if anyone's interested.

18/05/2013 at 10:17

Thats a good site Bear. Thanks

19/05/2013 at 14:43

Ahhh Sossidgey one I've read my book several times, seeing as you've brought it up I could post a snippet - don't worry I'll make sure I have correctly referenced the author though 

Ahh poor Bear, hope you have managed to find a distraction, if I'm ruminating on stuff that isn't helpful then I either run, find a distraction or stop thinking about it and write it down. Sometimes I think there are loads and loads of things frantically pressing down on me then when I've written it down I realise it's just a couple of big things recircling and being rephrased and a handful of not so important things that feel bad but when seen on paper aren't really so bad. I think feeling everything at once can make it hard to step back and be logical about whether the anxiety is either justified or helpful. You are doing really well, I promise going to the interview and doing so well in managing your anxiety and negative thoughts was an incredible achievement. Don't forget to credit yourself for that!

I have had an absolute blast at Hash's birthday party with By Eck. LR, Frodo, SCaz, T.Mouse and Foxy Lady, TP, Blouse - who haven't posted here before,,...(I am desperately hoping I haven't left anyone off my list!) 

I loved dancing about like a drunk daddylonglegs on a trampoline and getting to eat breakfast with everyone else ... and some cake OCD was pretty good though I needed to come away after breakfast and sort it. (and I'm covered in deeply unattractive OCD spots where I've clawed at the 'badness'; think crack whore meets tomato and that was me at the pub - oh but with a massive grin too!!) 

Oh it was so so much fun, I went for a very short run with the lovely Hash in the morning wearing neon pink stripey PJs and borrowed running shoes. I didn't have my inhaler so I was pretty wheezy but it was a nice way to spend the time out with Hash when I couldn't sleep this morning and the village is beautiful. 

I just feel on top of the world, I am so so ridiculously lucky to have such wonderful friends!! It's difficult to know where to start with being grateful for RW forumites who have become such real, deep friends. 

Plus I have aquired a tent which has promised to take me and not-calling-each-other-girlfriend-yet-but-totally-are R away camping in Cornwall  

Bear, I was very sorry not to see you, hope everything was OK.  Incidentally has anyone heard from Bricki? Does he still post to his blog? I know that Ben-o is busy IRL but from the very occassional snippet I see of him on FB I think he's OK. 

Why am I rambling? Love to all absent friends would probably be easier to write!! 

I am so tired, 3 hours sleep in the last 3 nights but every waking moment more than worth it. What a lovely positive end to the week. 

xx

PS. I totally kicked OCD's butt this weekend !!!

19/05/2013 at 14:45

Soupy your post has only just appeared - how are you getting on? I've been thinking about you this week and wondering if the worky stuff is getting any better. 

It's so nice to hear from you  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.