Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,861 to 5,880 of 6,029 messages
20/05/2013 at 20:13

Thanks, Bear.  Shame you couldn't make it.

20/05/2013 at 20:22

It was one of those situations where I needed to be in two places at once

21/05/2013 at 18:47

Just had a phonecall - didn't get the job but they were very complimentary

In improv news I've got a team together - we're called the Psychotic Bears

http://zombierobots.net/wp-content/main/2011_04/psychotic-bear-with-machete.jpg

21/05/2013 at 18:51

Sorry about the job, it's fab you got good feedback though you did ridiculously well and deserve to feel very proud of yourself for that.

Plus it's nice you have more time for improv ... Cool picture, you mean psychopathic though, psychotic is just hallucinating and delusional psychopaths are more likely to harm people

21/05/2013 at 19:07

Oh bum   The t-shirt was just something we found afterwards, we just came up with random words and jammed them together

I'm pleased with the feedback but it's frustrating when I impress peeps but still don't get a job

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 19:20
21/05/2013 at 19:15

Yeah, you have every right to feel frustrated too, it is horrible when you've done so well and had to try so hard and things don't quite work out. Job hunting is especially difficult because it's not progressive, it doesn't seem to work at all until suddenly it's all over and you've got a job. It'd be kinder if you could see how much closer you are getting. The fact that you were brave enough to look at it, were succesful at getting to interview and interviewed so well and got positive feedback demonstrates how many steps forward you've made but the 'no' at the end must feel far too final. You've done amazingly little Bear, promise

21/05/2013 at 19:19

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about the TShirts, most people don't know there is a distinction between psychotic and psychopathic I only do cos I have been psychotic (though I have never been a bear) 
R (the new gf) thought my shark socks were very cool by the way  

21/05/2013 at 19:24

Yay she's obviously a smart girl

As someone with MH ishoos I do want to get these things right.

You're right, it would be nice to feel I was progressing, this was a really good job I could get my teeth into too, I'm not overly worried about money yet but I could do with work pretty soon - an much for my wellbeing as anything else.

I've had several more nice comments on the improv too

21/05/2013 at 20:19

Hard lines about the job Bear. Fingers crossed it goes your way soon.  And great news on how well the improv is going. I'm very impressed.

I'm having my ups and downs, down at the minute cos I ran out of tablets on Saturday and only managed to pick up a prescription today. Felt quite tearful today and went to bed when I got home from work. Just woke up now, feeling a bit better but sort of "heady". I wonder if the tablets are kicking in again?

I've got 2 job interviews on Thursday! one at 11am and another at 3 pm, 12 miles apart so I'm going to be busy.  Work is pretty bad right now. They have said they will redeploy me only if I drop my tribunal claim. Thats a big fat NO. 

Solb - you are sounding pretty good. Well done and hope the relationship works for you.

Waves to everyone else, I'm meant to be meeting Mr Soup at Pizza Express so have to try and get myself together enough to head out. 

21/05/2013 at 20:23

Great going getting the interviews Soupy

...but a big bear grrrr at the redeployment thing. Sounds like you've got them worried

21/05/2013 at 20:39

Hard luck this time Bear.

Hi, Soupy - big hugs (((SD)))

Been a couple of weeks since I've been on the prozac so I'm keeping fingers crossed for some improvement.  I've been in fairly good spirits at the start of the week but haven't been feeling that well so it's been a struggle still - and once again tonight haven't made it to running.  Got another 10k coming up a week on Sunday.  Really wanted to be a bit better prepared for this one - but it doesn't look like happening as my next chance for a run isn't until Saturday.

21/05/2013 at 22:28

Sorry to hear you did not get the job, Bear.

Soupy, good luck for your interviews.

LR, better to be undertrained than overtrained and injured, well that is my theory, I will be run/walking my HM as I have only got to 6 miles, so its not looking like a fast time at all.

Bit stressed with work and FiL but keeping OK, got a good work colleague who can tell when I am getting stressed and she helps calm me down, only down side is that we do not work in the same office, but there again that may be why we get on.

21/05/2013 at 22:52

CJ - it's not so much training as getting out running regularly to, hopefully feel more comfortable and less panicky with it to ensure that getting to the start line is going to happen.  Regular training is something I can only dream of.

22/05/2013 at 21:57

CJ - apologies if that last comment seemed a bit snappy.  It was.  I'm having a bad week and on top of that am frustrated that I feel like I'm back where I was a couple of months ago finding it difficult to get out running at all and it's like I've just got to start all over yet again.  Don't know why I keep bothering.

22/05/2013 at 22:35

LR, don't worry about being snappy, I was on Monday. I have not been consistent with the running either.

I don't know why I keep trying to run, today was 2.4 miles in 31 minutes and yet again I had to walk. I believe that after over 25 years of running albeit always slowly that I have a habit.
I just want to be able to run 5k without having to walk or be so slow that a walker goes faster than me.

22/05/2013 at 22:41

Thanks, CJ.  I'm just making the most of some chill out time at the end of a tough day.  As ever could just do with more chill out time but hope for a better day tomorrow.

23/05/2013 at 17:17

Owwwwwww....I've twisted my back and can't move. Was looking forward to a good evening out too

Edited: 23/05/2013 at 17:26
24/05/2013 at 07:51

Awww sounds like you guys could do with a massive cuddle. 
It is horribly frustrating when you are fighting and fighting and it's just impossible to feel the rhythmn of a routine, I hate it too. I suspect though that the reason we all do it is because when it all just clicks into place and it works it is just incredible! 

I think we need some cheerful running stuff to remind us why we do it. My favourite ever run was the first time I accidentally ran up mud mountain in the torrential rain, I'd been feeling so dishearted and had been focussing on times and distances when really what I needed to do was let go of the anxiety and the pressure to succeed and just remember what it was in my heart and soul that makes me feel happy and free when I run. 

What about you guys? What's it like when it works? 

24/05/2013 at 07:52

How is your back now bear? 

24/05/2013 at 09:19

Ooh, SOLB, that's a real genius way to make me think positively about the running.  For me, when it works, it's just about making me feel OK.  Tommorow should be the next chance to get out - but I have the small matter of a beer festival today in Newark.  I really need to take it steady though so that I'm not unfit to turn out tomorrow.  Feeling a bit better for making it to the end of the week and a long weekend to come. 

Hope things are still good with you, SOLB.  I see those Facebook stalkers can check out your girlfriend now.  Wouldn't catch me doing that though.

By the way, I see your girlfrield's a vegan.  Excellent stuff.  Oops, blew it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.