Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,901 to 5,920 of 6,029 messages
06/06/2013 at 18:58

Sorry to hear about your DNF steady. But well done for looking on the positive by planning forward.

I finished Enduroman mainly because of the generous cut-offs. It took me 9:30 hrs. Bike took 4.20, I would have been pulled off any other course. I really enjoyed it though and going back next year.

06/06/2013 at 19:56

Well done Soupy, I have heard the run at Enduroman is a brutal course which I am sure I would hate.

06/06/2013 at 21:38

It is brutal indeed Steady, but that gave me a good excuse to walk most of it. I only ran the downhill bits.

I've just read your race report. You poor thing, you sounded so gutted. And all because of stupid stubbed toe. (((Steady)))

06/06/2013 at 22:02

I am picking up now, planning my training for the next few months.

I am going to do my first ever Parkrun on Saturday, so will go from doing my longest ever event to the shortest possible. I tried a short bike ride, the toe is bruised feeling rather than painful now.

06/06/2013 at 22:14

I'm also considering doing my first Parkrun on Saturday.  There's one just started up in Newark which makes it viable for the first time.  The only trouble is the start time.  I don't normally feel that well in the mornings so I can't tell until the time if I'll be feeling up to it - but I've got my barcodes at the ready.

Got out for a running club run tonight.  Went OK - found it pretty tough going on the off road parts but the road running was better.

13/06/2013 at 08:09

Oooh loving all the positive vibes, so glad I popped in for a catch up. 
I have been toying with the idea of regular parkruns when I get back from a whole month playing in America  

I've been for a couple of short runs in the last few days, I can feel my running mojo coming back even though it's still pretty hard work - yay! 

How are you all? I'm really happy, I wanna share the smiles around  

13/06/2013 at 16:47

LR did you get to parkrun? I did my first one and was not last and managed to run all the way. The time of day for the run is not great for me, as I usually swim early on Saturdays and then its a rush to get there in time.

Solb, enjoy the other side of the big pond, hope you don't get homesick being away for a whole month.

13/06/2013 at 18:48

Oooh what are you doing in America Solb?  Have fun

I am having so much fun at the new improv class, laughing myself silly

13/06/2013 at 23:53

My sleep has been all over the place - today at work I sent an e-mail then almost dropped off to sleep, then typed the same e-mail and sent it again.  The point of mentioning that was going to be that I didn't make the Parkrun - as I was wide awake at 6am but then nodded off and didn't wake up until 8.15 when it was just too late to get up and go. 

SOLB - great to hear from you and great that things are going well.  You know that I'm a Facebook spy - but it is great to see photos of your travels and things generally going well.

I'm having a mixed time of things - but overall at the moment doing a bit better than I was.  I've now been referred for interpersonal psychotherapy - as they feel that family issues and issues from my past are key to my problems - which I would agree with so I feel it's the right outcome.  It just feels like it takes so long to get anywhere.  I was fearing though that the sessions I was having could come to an end without really being able to do enough for me so at least that won't be a problem.

14/06/2013 at 07:36

Didn't know solby was over the pond. How exciting. 

Last day in my job today!!!!  Its a bit scary because I haven't got a start day for my new job yet, but I just wanted to get away and have a break. This morning I have an occupational health assessment with my new employer so I just hope that all goes okay then I'll be good to start in a couple of weeks. 

LR - hope your therapy helps, it sounds interesting. 

14/06/2013 at 11:55

Great stuff Soupy!

When I get a job I'll be worried by the OH appointment - wibble

14/06/2013 at 12:32

Approved fit for work.

14/06/2013 at 13:38

woohoo

14/06/2013 at 13:41

I told them what caused it and what made it worse, but that I was now stable and knew how to recognise early warning signs.  The nurse was very supportive and put me down as having reactive depression to exceptional circumstances.  Phew!

14/06/2013 at 17:09

The other thing to add is that she wrote down I have good insight and I think thats because I stressed how I know how to recognise the signs. Just in case thats a strategy anyone else might want to follow. 

Going away to hotel for the night in a minute to celebrate leaving and my wedding anniversary which is today. I'm feeling good.

14/06/2013 at 18:11

That's useful info Soupy, thanks.  Have a fun night out

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 18:12
15/06/2013 at 20:58

YAY!!! Soupy that's amazing  

I'm not over the pond yet, I'll be tootling over a week Monday - I haven't organised anything though :-/ 

I have just been out for dinner, ate really normally and chatted and had a nice time. I am so ridiculously happy about it I might pop and spray you all in vegetarian sushi!  

I have had a tough-ish time though, I'm having to change my meds over and am currently taking some tablets that the psychiatrist doesn't think will work because the meds they want to prescribe are very very expensive and unlicenced for depression ... I will have to take these ones just long enough for the side effects to become intolerable then swap back to the old ones while I'm in America but then will have the new tablets waiting for me when I get home. 

Bear your improv stuff sounds so so positive for you. 

Ooops to the oversleep, I keep meaning to do parkrun but either I am busy or don't want to get out of bed early enough to go cos the nearest is quite a way away

15/06/2013 at 22:47

Lincolnshire remains a Parkrun free zone but there are a couple that have started up not far away.  I did get in time this morning but instead joined the orienteering club guys for a run.

Well done on the OCD-beating dinner date SOLB.  Really hope it goes well for you in the States.

Soupy - hope you're having a great well deserved celebratory weekend.

I have had a really hectic week and there are a number of problems going on.  Even so, I'm hoping that maybe the current anti-depressants are starting to have some effect.  Don't want to speak too soon as I thought the same about the citalopram after a few weeks but that came to nothing - but I am at least coping at the moment.

19/06/2013 at 18:36

Hi all

Just found this thread and hope no one minds if I join in. I've had depression (diagnosed) for over 3 years - but in discussion with my counsellor it seems I may have been at least mildly depressed for many years. It was diagnosed following a minor heart attack which in turn followed two bouts of abdominal surgery. Most recently, I've been off work since mid March with a bout of severe depression and associated anxiety. This isn't good, I'm a teacher who really enjoys being in the classroom but I've been having panic attacks when faced with groups of young people on the rare occasions when I've been able to go out. The new meds are beginning to work - I think - and I had found that running was helping a lot. In the hours following a run I was more able to function.

Sadly I had a hernia op on Monday 10th June so I can't run for at least another week and even then it'll be very gentle. In the meantmie, I'm trying to get out and walk but that means seeing people and its very hard to put on a brave face. I've read a lot of the posts on this thread and am stunned with the bravery and support that everyone offers everyone else. I hoping that some of that will rub off on me. Had my meds changed shortly after being signed off, I've got OH in early July and an absence review meeting at work next week - not that I'm panicking you understand...

Kudos to all those who are fighting this horrible illness!

19/06/2013 at 19:06

Welcome Grimfoot,  I'm going through a good patch at the moment which is why I'm not posting much but its always good to get to know another person who we can share mutual support with

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.