Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,961 to 5,980 of 6,029 messages
11/08/2013 at 21:31

In a word anxiety.  The last few times I tried I managed for a few minutes but then just gave up because it felt so pointless.  I've had so many setbacks it's difficult to believe I can achieve my goals.  The reason I keep aiming to do so is just to have a reason to still get out of bed in the morning and keep carrying on with my life.  Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

13/08/2013 at 17:45

Anxiety is a horrible thing to go through. In my experience I go through a process of evaluating whats behind the anxiety, sometimes it works. Have you tried stuff to deal with it? I've been going to a mindfulness group, which has been pretty good, it's medditation but there's no right or wrong way of doing it and it does not try to change things. It's a way of focusing thoughts on the present moment, it's a bit hard to explain at the moment I'm finding it ok.

Did you run last night?

13/08/2013 at 21:46

Much better news to report.  I made it to the group last night.  It was an intervals session on the Common.  The standard was certainly easy to cope with so it was just what I needed.  I was tempted away from my running group tonight - the Tuesday venue makes for fairly dull runs.  Instead I went to a village group out of town who were going for a 10k run.  I was reassured on their Facebook page that their pace was 10 minute miles and that one of them hadn't ever run that distance before.  As it turned out I was able to concentrate on helping the first timer round by keeping the pace right for her if she seemed to be getting short of breath.  This helped keep me focused and reasonably relaxed - and to keep running. 

Good to hear that the mindfulness is helpful.  I have a problem with tinnitus which makes anything involving total quiet difficult - in fact there's no such thing as total quiet for me because of it.

13/08/2013 at 22:12

Lincoln runner, which club are you part of please and which village club did you go to? I would love to have some support with my running but have issues with thinking I will let other people down by not keeping up etc. I am a 10 minute miler on average and am really struggling with my training as I'm doing the great north run in September 

13/08/2013 at 22:23

Ali, I can certainly relate to that as at my usual running club, Lincoln and District Runners, they do always run back to keep the group together - but even so I'm just not as comfortable if the group I'm in are all faster than me.  The group I was with tonight were Witham Runners (as in Witham St Hughs).  They have a beginners group on Mondays - but their regular runners who were there tonight are all in training for the Worksop half marathon in November so I think you'd fit in well.  Friendly group as well.

14/08/2013 at 18:46

Glad to hear you went running, hopefully you can acknowledge your success and build on it. I also have tinnitus which is generally a high pitched sound in my left ear, I am used to it now and funnily enough wasn't hearing it until I read your post!! but's that's the way it goes for me it's always there but I dont always notice it.

Hopefully get out myself tomorrow.

Steve

14/08/2013 at 20:13

Thank youis do witham do the interval training or is that Lincoln and district. Sorry to ask so many questions I'm so nervous about joining a club

14/08/2013 at 20:42

SB - yes, mine's left ear as well and someone mentioning it can be the worst thing if you've managed to forget about it - so apologies if I've set it off again. 

Ali - the group that was doing intervals was a beginners group run by Hurricane Sports and they do something different every week.  They are quite good for giving advice on running style etc which you won't always get at the main running clubs.  If you're nervous of joining a club then I think a smaller group would be better.  I think the Witham group would probably be better for you for that - there were eight of us there last night.  I would recommend that you could join one of their beginners sessions for a first visit - as least you know it won't be too hard - then once you've got that difficult first visit out of the way - you could always join their longer runs.  If you are considering it join the Facebook group and introduce yourself on there.  You don't have to give the full story but if you say you're going to turn up and are quite nervous they can be ready to welcome you along.  In saying all this I'm assuming that you're in this area.

14/08/2013 at 21:18

Thank you I will look on fb, I'm from Saxilby so Witham will be perfect, it has made me feel better just talking to someone that understands

27/08/2013 at 21:32

Hi, hows it's going with everyone?  Mixed fortunes for me.  Got running OK again last week - and succesfully led my first run for the running club.  If anything, I find it a whole lot easier to be leading a run that just having to run.  Got another one to do next week.  Tonight though, went to join the running club and got into a panic and couldn't go through with it.  A real shame after an improvement in fortunes and it just makes it more difficult to get back to it next time on Thursday.

Elsewhere, life goes on.  Have got a doctors appointment for a medication review.  Don't know if that will bring anything - all I can say is I don't feel any benefit from what is now 9 months on anti-depressants.

03/09/2013 at 07:42

Hello everyone.  Sorry I've not been around and sorry for not reading back. Welcome to newbies - you've found a good place. 

Just a quick update from me. Yesterday I was in the employment tribunal to determine whether I meet the criteria for being a disabled person under the Equality Act. The other side were saying otherwise and their expert backed them up that I wasn't ill for a full 12 months.  I argued that I got better because of the medication and CBT that I'm still taking. On cross-examination their expert agreed that if it wasn't for the medication I would relapse and so the judge determined that I am classed as disabled. So I won! Full hearing still to follow but I'm so glad that someone beleives me and its now a point of fact that I was clinically unwell from May 2011 to whenever I come off my tablets. After all that time of my old employer claiming they had no duties towards me, they have finally been told otherwise and it feels so good. I want to blow raspberries at them.   

My new job is going well by the way. 

Hugs to all in need.

03/09/2013 at 08:54

Soupy lovely to hear your update and that things are going well.

Are you going to the social on Friday in London? I want to go but feel terrible at the thoughts of walking in on my own.  

03/09/2013 at 18:25

Hi Steady - yes I'm going to the social. Do you want to meet up a tube station or something?

03/09/2013 at 18:54

Oh that would be good, I will PM you my mobile and we could arrange a time and place.

I find going to a race on my own OK but socially it is a totally different thing, I suppose it is because everyone at a race is there for the same reason and you do not have to interact with anyone if you don't want to. Plus if meeting with clubmates you can quickly spot them in club colours.

07/09/2013 at 09:54

Hi, another new person joining this thread .  I've had issues with panic attacks and general anxiety since I was a child, been on meds for 14 years now and am pretty much stable.  Have just gone back to work full-time (work in a infant school) and am really enjoying it.  Running helps massively with the anxiety so i try and run 4-5 times a week to keep it under control.  Enjoy doing races but get very nervous before hand.  Glad to find i'm not alone

07/09/2013 at 11:13

Hi, big  wave to bigwave.  I certainly find I get very nervous at facing a race.  I really want to get another 10k race done as the last 2 I entered I didn't turn out for.  Only a few weeks ago I ran 10k non-stop with a running group and it went really well.  It's still a different challenge to turn out for a race though. 

Pleased to say I've had a better week than the previous no-run week.  Got out with running groups 3 times - the latter of which was the run that I was leading.  I find this by far the best option for me - in that I feel there's no backing out or I'm letting the club down - and concentrating on the group helps take my mind off all the negative stuff in my head.

08/09/2013 at 13:49

Hello!,  I also sometimes run with a club but feel under pressure to keep up with everyone!  Did 11 miles last night on my own around the woods and fields, felt really good.  Have my first half marathon in a few weeks and i'm already feeling anxious.

08/09/2013 at 21:17

Good effort there, bigwave.  I made it out to an orienteering event today.  Went OK and managed to run over most of the terrain.  Anything uphill easily gets me beaten if it's off-road though.  Really feeling the effects of it afterwards though.  That's just the nervous tension all coming out.

24/09/2013 at 00:10

Had my first session of psychotherapy the other day after finally reaching the top of a long waiting list.  Disappointed.  The emphasis seemed to be on trying to find ways to do things that improve my mood.  If I could just shut the door behind me and not have to do anything for several days I'm sure I'd feel OK - but the problems would return as soon as I had to face the outside world again.  It just seemed a back to front way of doing things and not tackling the real problems.  I'll stick with it and give it a go but just feeling really down at the moment having waited so long.

Just wondering has anyone else had experience of this and how they found it?

24/09/2013 at 15:33

LR, glad to hear you reached the top of the waiting list and are now getting some help. I have no experience of this but would suggest that you stick with it for a while and give it a go. It may seem odd because it is tackling the problem from a different angle to the one you were expecting.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.