Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,981 to 6,000 of 6,055 messages
25/07/2013 at 09:25

Hey new mummy sometimes I feel very jealous of runners when im benched I try to turn it round into motivation to get out there when I'm fit .... A wise someone or other once told me that no emotion is bad or wrong, it just is, the important thing is whether you hold on to it and how you react/what you do. The immediate internal response is your trigger to think about who you are and what you believe and to act and interpret accordingly. Feeling momentary rage is fine, just don't punch the poor  or let it ruin your day 

25/07/2013 at 11:09

PS. I'm baaaaaaack too  

25/07/2013 at 19:27

Hi SOLB, you're back!

With you on the rage there NM.  I have a real problem whenever I see anyone just out there running effortlessly.  I probably wouldn't go so far as to call it 'severe rage' though.

Just finished work for the week and off on holiday tomorrow afternoon.  Lots to do between now and then though.

26/07/2013 at 20:14

Welcome aboard newmummy- Agree with Solb, I think there's nothing wrong with what you feel, it's how you react to it.I know it's easier said than done but try not to hold on to the feeling, just acknowledge it and let it go. I get jealous and also inspired by seing other people run, and also it fills me with sadness if, as is the case at the moment I'm struggling to run well, although that also spurs me on to get fit.

Good luck with the injury and I hope things get better for you, how are you treating you calf. 

27/07/2013 at 13:20

Hi guys,

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and have been taking medication for 10 years of varying doses. It has been at a managable level some of the time and a life stopping cant leave the house level for periods of time as well.

I started running for the first time in January, I have now come off of my medication and am stable for the first time in a decade, did running play a part? I think so I feel much better with regular exercise.  Time will tell if this is a long term period of stability

Simon

28/07/2013 at 09:39

Oooo, just noticed this thread. Great one.

I have schizophrenia and have been in and out of hospital all my adult life. Had a really bad spell last year and it made me take stock of life. I thought I would take up running, as I had heard that it was good for mental health and, shazam!, it really is.

I run regularly now and think of it as another form of medication. It feels like it gives my mind "time off" from all the craziness. Don't worry too much about competing or PBs etc, but just enjoy the experience of being out and about. Keeps me feeling positive and friends have said what a difference they can see.

Take care everybody and, er, keep on running

p.s. If you're racing (especially 10kms around the Midlands and Home Counties at the moment) and see a hot babe (natch) sporting a MIND running vest and pink framed glasses, that's me! I am trying to run a 10km race in every county in England this year to raise money for the charity. It's going well so far.

Edited: 28/07/2013 at 09:44
05/08/2013 at 00:06

Hi UKV and SM4.  Glad to hear the running is bringing positive results for you.

I've just returned from a week's holiday.  Had a really good time - just the one down side being that I'm just not in any fit state physically or mentally to take on the week's orienteering that I went for.  All this meant was that I completely missed two of the events, retired from two and completed the other two OK.

I've decided I've really got to take it all back to basics.  I just can't face going out running on my own and running with the running clubs involves having to be out for a full hour.  There is a beginners group on a Monday nights for people trying to get up to running 5k so I intend to use that as a starting point to try and get out there again.  I'm supposed to be leading a couple of runs for the running club in about three weeks time so this is my last chance to try to make that commitment.  If I can't do it, they would at least understand my reasons - but I do really want to make it if I possibly can.  My target for this year was to do a half marathon but right now getting back to running a 10k has become a difficult target.  I've had so many setbacks this year I find it difficult to believe that I can ever do it again. 

05/08/2013 at 13:20
SOLB wrote (see)
I've seen the odd post floating about about how therapeutic running is or asking if anyone knows how to overcome problems caused by medication/depression/motivation etc. I thought it would be nice to pull it all together in one place so we don't have to feel guilty about posting. I've sort of 'come out' as a person with mental health problems on the site ... although that wasn't really my intention. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/fundraising/running-to-escape-the-voices---running-the-marathon-to-help-others-escape-too/6415.html I hope people will use this thread, and that we can support each other to run.

I've also suffered with mental health issues, running was a great way to get over this, it helped me get back to my old confident, happy, dedicated self, I only started the running to get out and enjoy the peace and being on my own but now joined a running club and run 5-6 times a week and race regularly running has saved my life 

05/08/2013 at 22:26

Good to hear the running has helped, GB2.  I'm just so frustrated tonight.  I've really lost all confidence in running so I went to venture out with a beginners group.  I got there at the right time and place but nobody was around.  I e-mailed the guy who confirmed the details were correct - so I really don't know where they were.  It is out on the common so although it was next to a building there certainly wasn't anyone about.  He says he'll look out for me next week though.  Really felt this was my last chance if I'm to have any chance to lead the runs I'm supposed to be doing though.

11/08/2013 at 14:54

I've only just noticed this thread also and I think this is great. Talking about it in the open and having people to talk about it too also really helps. I suffer with anxiety, depression and low confidence and I was taking tablets for it but decided I would try and do things to help myself. It has helped that my ex bf who didnt understand me who told me to pull myself together is not in my life anymore! I since took up running and found that it really does help with confidence and self esteem especially when uve just finished a race and u feel a sense of self worth. Recently I have been ill with flu so have not been able to run for over 2 weeks which has been frustrating and I can feel myself go down a path of negativity that I dont want to go down....but will hopefully be back on it next week! Anyway, im not ashamed to admit that I have good days and bad days in my mind and to be able to share these thoughts with like minded people will truly help! Thanks.

11/08/2013 at 18:38

Good to hear from you, Rachel, and hope you're up and running again soon.  The rest of my week didn't go too much better - apart from Thursday.  I went to attend the running club on Tuesday but couldn't face it.  Wednesday I went to meet with another beginners group again but again nobody was there.  Thursday was a bit of a better day and I did make it to the running club.  There was the reassuring offer of a six mile run with the option of a shorter route.  The shorter route turned out to five and a half miles so that's what I ended up doing.  I was really nervous so I really felt the effects of it afterwards.  Good to have done it though.  My next opportunity to get out is tomorrow night again.  If I could just get a point where I could get out running on my own again it would help me more - but I still feel a long way off that.

11/08/2013 at 21:25

I got to get some blood test results tomorrow to check my ferritin levels and if they're ok then find out what could be causing these muscle twitches I'm still getting. I'm able to got to the gym and do circuits, RPM, bodypump etc but I'm missing running. I think I might be getting a bit of a mental block getting back to what I used to do, as logic tells me if I can do an hours circuit I should be able to run for an hour! It's really frustrating!!. I'm envious every time I see someone running!!

Hope you get running again soon Rachel T2. Lincoln Runner, good luck tomorrow night, whats keeping you from running on your own?

11/08/2013 at 21:31

In a word anxiety.  The last few times I tried I managed for a few minutes but then just gave up because it felt so pointless.  I've had so many setbacks it's difficult to believe I can achieve my goals.  The reason I keep aiming to do so is just to have a reason to still get out of bed in the morning and keep carrying on with my life.  Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

13/08/2013 at 17:45

Anxiety is a horrible thing to go through. In my experience I go through a process of evaluating whats behind the anxiety, sometimes it works. Have you tried stuff to deal with it? I've been going to a mindfulness group, which has been pretty good, it's medditation but there's no right or wrong way of doing it and it does not try to change things. It's a way of focusing thoughts on the present moment, it's a bit hard to explain at the moment I'm finding it ok.

Did you run last night?

13/08/2013 at 21:46

Much better news to report.  I made it to the group last night.  It was an intervals session on the Common.  The standard was certainly easy to cope with so it was just what I needed.  I was tempted away from my running group tonight - the Tuesday venue makes for fairly dull runs.  Instead I went to a village group out of town who were going for a 10k run.  I was reassured on their Facebook page that their pace was 10 minute miles and that one of them hadn't ever run that distance before.  As it turned out I was able to concentrate on helping the first timer round by keeping the pace right for her if she seemed to be getting short of breath.  This helped keep me focused and reasonably relaxed - and to keep running. 

Good to hear that the mindfulness is helpful.  I have a problem with tinnitus which makes anything involving total quiet difficult - in fact there's no such thing as total quiet for me because of it.

13/08/2013 at 22:12

Lincoln runner, which club are you part of please and which village club did you go to? I would love to have some support with my running but have issues with thinking I will let other people down by not keeping up etc. I am a 10 minute miler on average and am really struggling with my training as I'm doing the great north run in September 

13/08/2013 at 22:23

Ali, I can certainly relate to that as at my usual running club, Lincoln and District Runners, they do always run back to keep the group together - but even so I'm just not as comfortable if the group I'm in are all faster than me.  The group I was with tonight were Witham Runners (as in Witham St Hughs).  They have a beginners group on Mondays - but their regular runners who were there tonight are all in training for the Worksop half marathon in November so I think you'd fit in well.  Friendly group as well.

14/08/2013 at 18:46

Glad to hear you went running, hopefully you can acknowledge your success and build on it. I also have tinnitus which is generally a high pitched sound in my left ear, I am used to it now and funnily enough wasn't hearing it until I read your post!! but's that's the way it goes for me it's always there but I dont always notice it.

Hopefully get out myself tomorrow.

Steve

14/08/2013 at 20:13

Thank youis do witham do the interval training or is that Lincoln and district. Sorry to ask so many questions I'm so nervous about joining a club

14/08/2013 at 20:42

SB - yes, mine's left ear as well and someone mentioning it can be the worst thing if you've managed to forget about it - so apologies if I've set it off again. 

Ali - the group that was doing intervals was a beginners group run by Hurricane Sports and they do something different every week.  They are quite good for giving advice on running style etc which you won't always get at the main running clubs.  If you're nervous of joining a club then I think a smaller group would be better.  I think the Witham group would probably be better for you for that - there were eight of us there last night.  I would recommend that you could join one of their beginners sessions for a first visit - as least you know it won't be too hard - then once you've got that difficult first visit out of the way - you could always join their longer runs.  If you are considering it join the Facebook group and introduce yourself on there.  You don't have to give the full story but if you say you're going to turn up and are quite nervous they can be ready to welcome you along.  In saying all this I'm assuming that you're in this area.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.