Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

81 to 100 of 6,031 messages
30/07/2011 at 20:19
How did your 18 miler go? Or is it planned as a Sunday LSR?

I'm shocked about the outie belly button but I'm working on being more politically correct so I shall persevere.

I'm not awarding you the patronising and pretentiousness cup just yet but you are welcome to try again

I am finally getting better. I have just emerged from a particularly bad episode; things aren't right yet but I am just so relieved that they are finally looking up.
31/07/2011 at 21:37
Good to hear that things have taken a turn for the better SOLB.
31/07/2011 at 23:55

Did the 18 miler today, it wasn't as bad as I expected but I ache quite a lot now.

Political correctness? We outies don't need people to mind their Ps & Qs, we relish the fight!

I didn't know there was a cup, that's awesome! I must try harder.

It can be hard at times to see any positives, but they're always there we just need to notice them. I know it's easier said than done!

Hope you've had a good weekend.

03/08/2011 at 19:00
Thanks Big D nice to hear from you.

Aww well done Ben-o hope you have stopped aching ... we need you fit for 20 next weekend
Nam
03/08/2011 at 19:59
Ben,

Before you have a pop at GPs and "what do these people learn these days" maybe you want to do some research yourself into the neurochemistry of fainting, and an anxiety attack can indeed cause a person to faint.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fainting/Pages/Causes.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/brain/understanding-fainting-basics

I work in mental health services and it it quite common for people to faint when they are hyperventilating during a panic attack or phase of extreme anxiety. The combination of hyperventilation and subsequent drop in blood pressure, can easily lead to a collapse.

It's great to have opinions but get your facts right.

03/08/2011 at 20:10
Thanks Nam ... I'm not reading any more I'm enough of a hypochondriac as it is!! I'll have symptoms coming out of my ears if I'm not careful.

I'm planning a gentle jog/walk tonight so hopefully I'll avoid my old friend the syncope (see I was listening) if not I'll leave it a little longer, hope we find the cause, and try again. Running is too important to me not to keep trying.
Nam
03/08/2011 at 22:08
It's actually pretty common SOLB. It happened to me once. I had to have some stitches out after an op and got myself in such a state with nerves that I must have hyperventilated but didn't notice and all of a sudden my BP plummeted and I keeled over in the hozzie corridor. Never happened since. It doesn't have to be ongoing or serious.

Hope you can enjoy your joggle.
03/08/2011 at 23:57

Nam,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Anxiety increases blood pressure and causing the body to collapse during in a real or perceived threat would be an evolutionary weakness.

Hyperventilation and panic causes an overall increase in blood pressure (though hyperventilation on its own does cause a decrease). http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/407702

Fainting due to anxiety/panic attack is rare yet the fear of fainting is common (though I'll admit it can happen, even excluding blood phobia):

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cpp.531/abstract

http://www.pjapsych.com.au/default.asp?id=44

I wanted to believe it could happen, but alas The Sopranos lied to me. And I'll stick by my criticism of GPs, thanks.

04/08/2011 at 05:05
*SOLB looks nervously about, grabs earmuffs in case of an argument and stares intently at her bellybutton*
04/08/2011 at 17:06

Sorry SOLB. This is not the place for this discussion.

Also, what were you doing up at 5am??

04/08/2011 at 17:14
No the discussion is very welcome, it is interesting. I'll just sit here on the fence and pick splinters out of my bum.

I have chronic insomnia at the moment; turns out my magic recovery wasn't quite as permanent as I'd hoped ... the battle with myself rages on (the break was good though)
Nam
04/08/2011 at 17:16

SOLB no worries I have absolutely no intention of splitting hairs with someone here.  It's too much like "work".   

I know what I know.  You know what you know.  And he knows what he knows.

Nam
04/08/2011 at 17:19
PS your medscape article isn't actually viewable and I'm not sure I'd rank a write up of private psychology practice in Sydney over the info provided by the NHS but never mind.
04/08/2011 at 17:19
Ahh I don't know what I know but I now know what you know and you now know what he knows he knows that you know what he knows etc etc
04/08/2011 at 17:20

*puts on Manuel from Fawlty Towers voice*

I know nothing

Nam
04/08/2011 at 17:22

"I shpeek Inglish verry goot... I learn it frrrom a boook!!" 

04/08/2011 at 17:23
*disappears into a silly daydream incorporating Frodo as Manuel and the old Basil Fawlty fixing his car routine*
06/08/2011 at 20:54

Surreal!

I like it!

21/11/2011 at 16:26
I haven't written before.

I don't know how you do it. I take ad's and struggle to find the motivation to run at all.

How do you force yourself outside?
21/11/2011 at 22:04
Hi Bobby,
I'm really sorry you're finding it so hard. Try not to beat yourself up. You can only achieve as much as you are able to at a given point in time. Sorry if that didn't make sense. There's no point in being cross at yourself if you really are too ill to get outside and run.
Sometimes you just have to be kinder to yourself and try again in a few days. You can't will yourself to be well again - if you could you wouldn't be taking the anti d's in the first place.
Sorry I'm really not explaining myself very well, I know it's really frustrating and it's hard to see the difference between those times when you need to try harder and those when you need to back off.
If it's time to try again then I think the most crucial thing is to re-establish a routine. Forget about distance, pace, speed sessions etc just focus on getting back into the habit of running. I live near a park, if I've been off for a while and my motivation is wounded I just aim to run one lap of the park every morning for a couple of weeks (it's only a mile round) the hardest bit is getting back to the point where you are looking for reasons to run instead of excuses not to. I find making it a non-negotiable part of the routine achieves that.
I don't think there are any magic solutions, as you can see from this thread I suffer from the CBAs sometimes too. You're judging yourself by a much harsher standard than you are judging me.
If I'm feeling overwhelmed by people I jam a hat down low, put earphones in (with or without music) and run early in the morning. Or drive somewhere further afield and run where I won't know anyone.
Look after yourself Bobby (and let us know how it's going)

If things are really bad talk to someone honey, I don't know what I'm on about really but there are people that do!
81 to 100 of 6,031 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.