Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

1,801 to 1,820 of 6,029 messages
02/08/2012 at 12:42

Hi Whalewillrun i'm also new to site and this thread welcome.

Edited: 02/08/2012 at 12:42
02/08/2012 at 12:45
Hi whalewillrun and Richard.
I have ptsd and am in therapy too. It can be hard at times but I know that it is helping me get better
02/08/2012 at 15:22

Hi Hanna, welcome.
I didnt have a childhood of sexual assault but was a victim in one incident (and because I have previously mentioned on this thread  my less than good relationship with family, I think I should be clear it was stranger assault not family)

02/08/2012 at 16:10

@solb.

another thing you could do is a play a game we could all join in. The object is to win most points.

How it works:

i. we select categories in which the athletes will compete.
   so it could be 'most smiliest athlete' ' athlete most rsembling a Jehovah's witness.' '
   note there can be be different degrees of difficulty for different categories. So 'most smiliest' might be an easy caegory. 'athlete most resembling a beach ball on a beach' would have a high degree of difficulty and therefore would get higher points.

ii. We (ie anyone on this thread, including solb) pick the countries that we think will win the category. (Probably exclude USA, China as they have loadsa competitors).

iii. Judge solb attends Olympic games in capacity of official forum judge and picks the 'athlete who is smiliest', or 'athlete who most resembles a beach ball'. Judge solb also takes a picture (if phone has camera).

iv. we tot up the points.

v. And I win (because only i understand the rules)

Any questions?

You will have to pay attention to what is happening on the track. Because you really dont want to miss seeing 'athlete who most resembles a waxed orangutan'.

02/08/2012 at 17:51
SOLB, you do know how absolutely wonderful you are. Oh, and completely impartial....
(do you want some chocolate?)
03/08/2012 at 17:49
I'm very very proud to announce that SOLB was absolutely wonderful today. Fantastic company and just so brave I can't even get my head round how many barriers she crossed. The sport was pretty good too

Big love to you all x
03/08/2012 at 18:31
Thanks sossidge. I did wonder several times but didn't like to ask.

Did you see any hairless orangutans?
03/08/2012 at 19:27
Sadly not, but we did see a LOT of hairy hammer throwers

SOLB is driving back now and has an early start tomorrow so don't worry if you don't hear from her tonight. She was absolutely amazing today.
03/08/2012 at 19:32
((((Sossidge and SOLB)))) so proud and chuffed - thanks for the news TDS
03/08/2012 at 20:48
No worries sweet pea xxx
03/08/2012 at 21:21

welcome willrun and hello again richard

thank you so much for the support everyone (and TDS for looking after me and keeping me safe from hairless orangutans)

I'm a happy tired out solb *grins...yawns...grins again* zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

03/08/2012 at 21:50
....aaaaaaand sleeeeep xx
03/08/2012 at 22:01

Glad you had a lovely day

05/08/2012 at 09:55
Honeys I'm hoooome!

After the slightly scary start to the week with the weird hallucinations things have really turned around.

I had the most amazing time on Friday at the Olympics, I'll remember it forever. Then yesterday I was helping SCaz move (with Bear) I thought I'd really struggle but I was fine. I stayed positive and made jokes and chatted and didn't freak out about touching stuff.

I even survived a meal in a pub (well I didn't eat obviously) but I felt relatively ok with some text support from a friend even though pubs and the smell of spilled beer etc is usually a PTSD trigger for me.

So pleased, I haven't felt positive and cheerful underneath the coping for years was brilliant.

I'm paying for it a bit now, feeling pretty rubbish, but it was so worth it. I think the Duloxetine (A/D) must be really working to hold my mood up. Just got to work on staying compliant with all the meds

I've missed you guys, what's going on? How are you all?
05/08/2012 at 14:17
Sooooo proudofyou SOLB. That's amazing effort and I know your friends will understand exactly what you have achieved.

I am feeling a little bit low today. I discovered my mum is self-harming again. I did have my suspicions but today I saw the evi dence. My dad doesn't know and she's told me I mustn't tell anyone. I feel really conflicted because I know it is her release mechanism yet I'm concerned that she's reached this point.
05/08/2012 at 15:16
thank you by eck, that's very sweet. Love that you are proud of me tis nice to hear especially on the down when I feel wretched and hateful. Don't mind the down really, it was inevitable, worth it and will pass. I don't mind whether people understand how tough stuff is or not I just love feeling like a 'normal' person and being able to really help sometimes

Oh poor poor little you and your poor Mum that must be so very hard for you both. It probably wasn't very fair of your Mum to ask you to keep that a secret although I guess I can see why she did it.

Not surprised you feel conflicted and concerned darling. I think its cool that you understand her s/h is a release and don't panic but, my love, no wonder you are concerned that she is feeling bad enough to require the release. I so want to wrap you both up in a great big hug and keep you safe
05/08/2012 at 15:55
I am hoping that she will at least tell me when she's had a bout of s/h rather then leaving me to find out.
Thank you for the hug SOLB. I can't even tell my OH and I needed someone else to know. I knew you would understand and not start jumping up and down about her being a suicide risk. She's not. I've watched her battle bi-polar for most of my life and she is nowhere near that point.
05/08/2012 at 16:28
I've heard it said that s/h is the opposite of suicidal in that it's about coping when things are desperate rather then giving up.

I don't suffer from it but I have known, loved and respected some very brave people that have battled with it. They speak powerfully about s/h being something they need and I don't think anyone has the right to remove another's coping mechanism without a replacement.

All that stuff aside I can't help but feel it must be very, very difficult for you to watch. Knowing she isn't suicidal is brilliant but knowing she's hurting must be hard. I guess darling you are already helping. It must be wonderful knowing she can talk to you if she feels able. Even if she doesn't do it feeling your support must be of some comfort. Look after yourself too honey. You've been through a lot with her bi polar over the years and you can't carry all the responsibility on your own. Everyone is responsible for their own decisions, you can't do it all alone

Lots of love
05/08/2012 at 16:55

by'eck, that's a tough thing for you to carry. Is she able to see anyone medically, or through a charity who can help share the responsibilty of knowing? Even just talking?

05/08/2012 at 16:59

solb, well done on what you have achived this weekend. Hope you dont give away all the credit to others but keep some for yourself for the work you have put in and the bravery it takes.

1,801 to 1,820 of 6,029 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.