Metatarsal problem and marathons?

3 messages
16/09/2002 at 08:57
Anybody had a stress fracture on one of their metatarsals? How did it feel exactly? (yes I know it hurt!)Is it possible to do this and not be certain that this is what's wrong ie is there any thing similar that could happen. I ask because my physio is not sure (I have had previous sciatica problems) and I have two marathons coming up, New Forest this weekend and then NY in 7 weeks time.
The strange thing is though I'm pretty sore even walking there's nothing sharp and definite and I feel I could run although in some discomfort. I don't want to take a risk and ruin my chances in New York by attempting the New Forest this weekend. I wondered if stress fractures came in degrees of seriousness maybe?
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/09/2002 at 11:50
Puffer, I've had 5 foot fractures, the metatarsal one was the least painful and healed in 3 weeks with a heavy adhesive strapping instead of a cast. The problem with stress fractures is that often they cannot be detected under X-ray until the healing process starts and the formation of scar tissue can be seen. Feels like a sharp stabbing pain when it first occurs and then fades to an ever-present throb, sort of like a headache.
I wouldn't run on it, you'll only make it worse and may end up missing out on NY. Good luck
17/09/2002 at 14:43
Thanks for replying Sheila Anne, a marathon this weekend is looking increasingly unlikely now but my physio has agreed to let me do a short run to see if I get sharp pain or just a continuation of the aching. The thinking now is that it may be a tenditis thing at the attachment of the peronius brevis -she certainly found sensitivity there yesterday!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.