mild arch pain - is it plantar fasciitis?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
11/05/2012 at 14:19

well - I ran for 30 minutes lunchtime with no pain. Could feel it, but was ok....waiting for aches and pains to kick in post run but not happening yet. I think not running so much, plus stretching and applying ice/heat is hopefully doing the trick.

I will probably run the 10k - but may not go to fast and leave my PB target for another day. Race is not so important, but still would rather do it...my next main race targetted is another marathon in the autumn.

Thanks for advice/help Podman.

11/05/2012 at 14:35

Sounds wise 15West, good luck with the marathon in the Auitumn, at least the weather will be better than it was in Dunham Massey, that was painful.

11/05/2012 at 14:59

you were there? it was ridiculous - and I was one of the victims of the Great Manchester Marathon Baggage Fiasco.

16/05/2014 at 23:06

eresting reading. I thought I had developed PF but not matching symptoms entirely, doc said probably PF but more because of what I told him and text book possible cause - increased mileage and change to running surface. Have been training for 62m run, all was going well, sensibly upping mileage gradually training with running club twice a week then long steady at weekend. Leading up to Easter long runs of 15, 18, 20, 22, 24 then 26 on Good Friday which was last long one. This was on different terrain, usually road but race on canal trail so thought best to try it out. Felt fine afterwards, ran 10km race on Easter Monday, good time considering marathon distance a few days before and still feeling fine. Set off for next long one at end of week but after 4 miles in newish trainers felt pain in arch of foot. On a 7 mile loop and it felt easier to run than walk. Thought it was shoes so changed for second loop but pain got worse. Have rested ever since, been icing it and rolling over frozen water bottle. It is bad first thing but not sharp pain, more dull and I can prod and poke without wincing. First week limping badly now just can't seem to put foot flat on floor properly and noticed I am leaning on outer part of foot when walking. Hurts if I am on feet too much. I overpronate, always have shoes 'diagnosed' with gait analysis. So big question, if not PF then what and despite not keeping up with training schedule for race at end of June, if I still have problem can I just try to run through it? Doctor just said rest until it doesn't hurt anymore.  Also, would ultrasound help? Sponsored charity challenge so reluctant to cancel but don't want to do something irreparable. 

16/05/2014 at 23:25

Forgot to add that feel quite a bit of discomfort when wearing trainers. Most of miles covered in Brooks Adrenalins, I only mildly over pronate, and new trainers asics GT 2000 but wearing either just to walk the dog niggle. Strangely shoes for work with heels feel most comfortable. Driving me nuts not being able to run!

19/05/2014 at 10:10

Whether you should run through pain is a tough question to answer. But we need to remember that pain is a signal and warning from your body telling you that something is not right. If you ignore it you could end up doing more damage. Trust your instincts and listen to your body. 

Plantar fasciitis just means the fascia (connective tissue) under your foot is irrated and inflamed. The question is why!

There could be so many reasons but if you address the root cause the pain should disappear.

Often the root cause is some imbalance in the posture of your hips, knees or foot, meaning you strike the ground in an unnatural way when you walk or run.

If the foot is striking the ground in an unnatural way all of the surrounding tissues in the foot will be working overtime and become overused and hypersensitive.

Another likely cause could be that your foot arches have fallen. Arches are so important as they provide the spring in your step and so many nervous tissue runs under them. If they drop, these tissues become compressed and inflamed leading to plantar fasciitis.

Try these 3 exercises to rebalance and align the pelvis, hips, knees, ankles and feet, and see if they reduce or eliminate your plantar fasciatis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv0EG-ofx8Q

Ameet

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.