mild arch pain - is it plantar fasciitis?

1 to 20 of 23 messages
04/05/2012 at 11:39

Have a pain in left foot arch following a marathon last sunday. Hurts mildly to walk on it causing a slight limp, especially if barefoot. I do not have heel pain, and it is not worse in morning. I have not ran for 5 days and pain going, but slowly.

I have a "normal" foot in that I do not overpronate and do not have a particularly high arch. I wear Brooks GTS Adrenaline trainers which have always served me well - but probably should have ran in slightly newer trainers last sunday - they were maybe a bit worn.

The pain is in the soft area in the arch about halfway in foot, and is more to the side facing in (right side of left foot).

Do you think this is the start of plantar fascilitis, or just a mild strain/tear in something down there. I want to run again soon, but obviously do not want to make things worse. Going for sports massage later - is there anything they can do for this sort've thing?

05/05/2012 at 12:52

15 - have also had pain in my right foot since Manchester. Like yours mine has some similarities to PF but is not a typical presentation. My pain is on the outer aspect of the foot and I have self-diagnosed it as bruising from the uneven surface at Dunham Massey. Your symptoms do sound more like PF - regardless of the diagnosis you should probably be resting it. I foolishly did the local Park Run this a.m. as the pain had been easing and it is now as bad as ever.

If it is PF you could do achilles stretches (the one where you put the front half of your feet on the stairs and lower yourself). Hope you recover soon whatever it is.

05/05/2012 at 13:44

Thanks for answer. Have done no running on it yet. Pain almost completely gone, had a pretty good sports massage yesterday and she really gave me a good going over! If feeling ok might try a short easy run monday or tuesday. I will focus on the stretches you mentioned, have also been my foot on a little massage ball thing I have, and have been icing etc,

05/05/2012 at 15:21

15West - careful about twu's stretch, it'll load up your achilles and PF. You've got an overstretch problem and I'd think twice about stretching and over stretch problem....

05/05/2012 at 17:04

Not convinced it's PF actually - if I press on my foot the main painful spot is on the soft issue under my arch almost on side of foot near the ball.

06/05/2012 at 14:21
I had pf in that spot - it is unusual though. If it doesn't lessen (or worsens) during running be very careful.
06/05/2012 at 21:49

Hope I haven't passed on dodgy advice  - the stretches I posted were recommended to me by a physio.

07/05/2012 at 08:36

15west - i have the exact same pain in my foot too - and i wear the same trainers as you as well! I injured my foot back in feb in a cross country race whcih left me unable to walk and i was limping for weeks! Almost 12 weeks later, I'm still not 100%. Although I can walk normally and everything now, when I press into the arch of my right foot, I can feel the pain. My physio's advised me to start running again and whilst I was originally very excited about the idea - I now have my reservations, especially after reading thiswayup's post, I'm even more put off! My foot hasn't been diagnosed as PF, my physio hasn't really assigned a name to my injury. The pain from the arch translates into pain in other areas of the foot like the ball of my foot. If I were you 15west, I'd wait until you were 100% again, don't wanna end up like me with 3 months off running!

Anyone else had anything similar with arch pain?

07/05/2012 at 08:55

Just been for, my first run for over a week,  an easy 8 miles and definately felt it, but wasn't painful. Infact I was getting worse aches and pains elsewhere as still my legs are recovering from the marathon. Genereally pain has gone though and I can walk normally etc., only feel slight pain if press it hard, so I guess it's recovering I will be monitoring it closely though, and if gets any worse, or does not keep improving will be off to a physio. Thanks all for your advice.

08/05/2012 at 16:45
Just wondering if the pain could be coming from where the posterior tibialis tendon attaches to the bones in the foot? I've had this problem on and off since January it always seems worse if my shoe is too loose!
09/05/2012 at 15:19
I had a similar pain you're describing in my last marathon, which was 4 months ago! Had to pull out as it was way too painful to walk, let alone run on.
Is yours like a sharp stabbing pain? Mine turned out to be a stress fracture, and I was told to have two weeks rest.
It's only in the last 3 months it's feeling much better. After the initial 2 week rest, I could run on it, would hurt for the first few meters but then the pain would go.
Think my shoes caused this as the arch support was near to nothing.
10/05/2012 at 15:08

Touie2 , peroneous longus inserts at the first metatarsal and is the more commonly the source of pain in the described location. Although antagonists, tib post and per longwork together in propulsion. 

PF seems to get diagnosed for any pain in the foot. 

10/05/2012 at 15:50

Think mine is mild PF. The pain isn't too bad, but then I haven't been running too much. On the inside of the arch if I press hard there is some pain, and also a knotty crunchy section which I'm guess is damaged tendon. Not sure whether to run or not - have ran once in just under two weeks.

10/05/2012 at 16:00

15West, what are your first steps of the day like, painful? Does ice ease it, is it worse depending on footwear, does it hurt post run or during?

10/05/2012 at 16:22

No pain first steps of the day. Not ran with it much - but when I did run I definately felt it but could continue, and a few hours after run was hurting more and had to kind've put weight more on ball of foot when walking. Icing helps a bit. Like I say, I can feel this knotty area on inside of foot arch which is fairly painful when I press hard on it. It really isn't causing me too many problems, but I'd like it to go, want to start running more regularly again (I have a 10k next week) but don't want to make it a lot worse if I do.

10/05/2012 at 16:26

Really doesn't sound like PF ( I see about 10 a week). This is good news, tendons heal a much quicker than the plantar fascia does, as they have a good blood supply by comparison.

I hope it doesn't get in the way too much for you, of course more rest would help, but you already knew that 

10/05/2012 at 16:32

Hey Podman - I like that answer! Thanks very much. I actually went to a physio today and she wasn't sure what it was, but just did lots of stetches and massaging and advice etc. She reckoned I possible damaged it on uneven surface on Gtr Manchester marathon as part of it, due to condtions and country roads, turned into a bit of a cross country run. Personally I just think it's overuse.

Now - do I run that 10k?!

Edited: 10/05/2012 at 16:33
10/05/2012 at 17:43
Thanks Podman I was trying to quote but I don't seem to be able to do it from my phone!!!

I will have a look at what you suggested to see if I can find some strengthening exercises! Im not sure whether if my orthotics are helping or making it worse!
10/05/2012 at 21:58
15west, should you run it? You will only know that answer after the event. As always, it depends how much the race means to you, consider it in perspective of other planned events this year.
Touie2 it may be a case of resting, most orthotics will assist the action of per longus by controlling the cuboid position which is a fulcrum for PL. Sorry to be technical, but most devices (unless custom made for a specific purpose) will enforce some rest of PL. Hope this helps. Save the strengthening for when it's pain free.
10/05/2012 at 22:20
It only hurts after I've been running for a while if I push off of my toes, and sometimes downhill, it's more of an annoyance than a major pain! I can prod it and poke it and nothing!!! It's on and off, I ran London marathon and it didn't bother me at all but another time it will niggle after 10 miles!
1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.