More Hips

long term thing

4 messages
19/12/2002 at 14:10
I know I should see a doctor about this but I haven't - partly never get round to it partly a bit worried it will turn out to be serious - like no more running - I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anyway about 3 years ago I developed a dull ache on the outside of my right hip. Occasionally I would aggravate my lower back (digging the garden seemed to do this, sometimes football) and it would be a bit stiff and sort of move into the outside of hip/buttock area that had the dull ache so I think the 2 are connected.

THis went on off and on for maybe a year. Then I take up going to the gym and running and start regular stretching afterwards - particularly the one where you lie no the floor, cross your leg over the other and pull it towards you. This has more or less made it better but if I do a lot of miles in a week occasionally I can still feel it. As I say it is on the outer hip/buttock area and is not sensitive to pressure. It isn't a problem except I wonder if I am doing damage by running ? Anyone got any ideas ?
20/12/2002 at 01:45

Popsider, maybe try incorporating a bit of walking/running backwards, walking sideways (scissor movements) and walking/"dancing" at 45 degrees to forwards, into your exercise routines, to strengthen the muscles at the sides and at the back of your hips, in case there is a muscle imbalance there. Running mainly works the muscles at the top front of your legs but not the muscles at the sides.

(You could also do some scissor movements with your legs in the deep end of the swimming pool for the same purpose.)

Also consider seeing your GP and arranging an x-ray of your hip.

20/12/2002 at 02:01
Id go to a physio as hip/ thigh/ lower back imbalances can cause this sort of problem and with treatment and appropriate excercises it can probably be easily sorted.
20/12/2002 at 17:31
You could also try the stretch where you cross one leg behind the other - e.g. right behind left, squish outer edge of right into the floor, and then lean right (putting weight onto that side) and then stick your top half in the other direction - that gets a good stretch on the hip. Not sure it's quite the same one as the legs crossed on the floor one.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.