More Knees

Beginner in stair-related pain

1 message
28/01/2013 at 18:47

Hi all, 

There seems to have been a flurry of knee threads here ... but after searching I can't see my particular issue mentioned ...

I'm a very new runner (five weeks and counting ...) I've had painful knees for years when going up stairs, which seems to affect a couple of other people in my family too. Walking and running on the treadmill has never given me any knee trouble. Always thought that it would have a better chance of it improving if I took up some excercise and used them a bit better. This morning I walked up an escalator and by the time I got to the top they were painful enough that I though I migh pass out. A lot worse than normal!

I'm doing a slow beginner programme so no overuse likely at this stage! And I'm getting no problems during or after my runs. Knees or anywhere else!

Should I just persevere or do I need to adjust what I am doing? 

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.