Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

201 to 220 of 47,591 messages
22/08/2007 at 12:00
AP, didn't really consider BCG and has not been suggested by HV.  We're right on the edge of London, bordering on Hertfordshire, so maybe we're not considered 'inner city'!  I need to start doing some research re. MMR as the time for that will come round all too soon.  At the moment I'm leaning towards single vaccines rather than giving the whole lot at once.  I know that much has been done to discredit Andrew Wakefield's suggestion that there is a link between the combined vaccine and autism, but I can't help feeling that there's no smoke without fire and there are sufficient instances of babies (particularly boys) developing autism shortly after the immunisation for me to question its safety.  I would never forgive myself if my happy, healthy baby suddenly became little more than a vegetable because I chose to let him have the combined vaccine.  So much to think on and look into.
22/08/2007 at 12:52

Hello again, I've decided there are definitely NOT enough days in the week!  I seem to spend my entire life juggling!!

Minks, it sounds like Kit is really thriving and getting into his food. Carrot is a nightmare, and it doesn't even look particularly appetizing I find.  Scarlett wasn't too impressed with the cube I gave her the other day, but seems to enjoy the pear and the sweet potatoe.  She has a cube(ish) of something at lunchtime and then 1-2 teaspoons of rice with pear in the evening.  She gradually seems to be cutting out the amount of milk we give her at 10.30 too.  Persevering with the water but she spits it out most of the time.  Joshua was the same but eventually he got into water and happily drinks it now.

Vaccinations are another emotive subject and I think that provided you have researched to your satisfaction then you have to go with your gut feel.  We went for the combined in the end and Joshua seems to be just fine.  Hubbie and I discussed it at great length though.  Scarlett has had all three of her standard ones and didn't fuss much - pretty much reacted as Kit did.  BCG wasn't mentioned - probably as home counties I guess.

Re stairgates - we had the Mothercare sucker one and it has worked just fine although when we moved hubbie had to bolt on an extra plank of wood to the wall as gate wasn't wide enough for the wall! 

I'm just in the process of purchasing a baby attachment for my bike trailer so I can start doing some of my small local trips by bike again. It will be a good challenge towing 2 1/2 stone of toddler plus my 14lb daughter I think!  All helps with the fitness though and I so hate using the car for small local journeys. Joshua is getting better at walking with the buggy but still not up for a complete walk into town and back.  Do use the buggy board but trying to wean him off this gradually.  All these challenges!

Fitness-wise, like Minks I am surprised at how well I am running. Have managed four club runs and do feel strong and fit, but am definitely aware my core is not up to full-strength yet so trying to find small windows (ha ha ha) in the day/night to get some of my physio exercises in so I don't do my back in again.  Haven't been timing my runs much but am going to start taking my heart-rate monitor out now and clocking it all. Minks - sounds like you are doing fab on that front.

Very impressed with all you girls getting out and about on holiday/visiting friends/nights out etc.  I find that the thinking/preparation is often worse than the reality.  We're off camping in the Dordogne again next Friday for 10 days so need to start getting a huge pile of stuff together for that.  I have lists for everything to make up for my missing braincells!  I think I might have to cheat on the pureeing for this though as I'm blowed if I'm spending my holiday making up puree's on our petrol stove!  Thankfully there are quite a few organic pure puree's on the market to get us by.  Also very pleased have managed to persuade hubbie to stop outside Paris on the way back for a couple of days, in a large forest called Fontainebleau  which is full of huge boulders for climbing on. The French take their families there all the time so I'm hoping to introduce Joshua to a little bit of climbing...  

Anyway, must sort J's lunch before he heads to nursery for the afternoon. Sorry if I've forgotten anyone in this epic!

Take care

22/08/2007 at 13:28
One more thing to consider when deciding which way to go on the MMR vs single jab debate. Is if you are going to have the single ones done confirm that they are readily available.

My brother opted for the single vaccines for his son and found it difficult to get them done at the right time because there was a limit on how many are allowed to be brought into the country at any one time.  He had to wait for a couple of months to get the last one done.  It was a couple of years ago so I do not know if things have changed since. After lots of prayer I opted for the single jab for both of my sons and they (Thank God) are both fine.   I tend to use Calpol routinely when they have their jabs done.

22/08/2007 at 13:46

I have a good friend who works in area of autism and have every confidence in research to discredit the association with MMR. So we will be having MMR. There will always be doubt when you are a parent, but the options for three separate jabs aren't great and come with their own issues.

Otherwise yes have had all done so far, the last set were the worse. We have the 1 year jabs to come next. I used calpol for this last set as they had quite swollen legs afterwards.

My two have loved all their food so far, which is great. Have had a small reaction to berries, fresh strawberries out the garden caused a rash and puking as did blueberries when first tried, but a month later seemed fine. Hubbie and I eat pretty much anything so am pleased they seem to be the same so far. Only thing they haven't had so far is liver as can't bring myself to cook it. Mum says she will cook it next time we see her. Yuk!

Weather is so miserable today, took boys out for fresh air regardless, but it is making me feel depressed!

22/08/2007 at 14:45
x
22/08/2007 at 14:46

Cragchick - re: getting out and about, I am prompted by my husband, who always makes things seem a lot less challenging than they are; he keeps me grounded. I think I might be very tempted to hibernate otherwise! And going on holiday with another couple who already have two little ones, and are well travelled with them, makes it much less daunting. Hector really does love being out of the house, so I just think it must be good for him. Your camping trip sounds lovely...lists, lists, lists, it's the only way to remember everything, but finding time to write them is another matter! Enjoy your climb

We're seeing the health visitor shortly for his 8-10 week check, so I'm going to ask about the immunisiations (or am I wasting my time?!) I looked at this NHS website and it just confused me further. Hector is scheduled to have his first jabs AND his BCG next week and, from what I can make out, they shouldn't be given so close together. I'm going to check with HV...blimey, it's all worry, worry, worry!

(I know Hipps sometimes lurks around these parts...any thoughts Hipps?)

I'm looking forward to getting out for my first 'run' in a long, long time and see if I experience the benefits others seem to have enjoyed. Keep at it girls! 

22/08/2007 at 14:46

Wow this is getting like the pregnant forum!

Think the vaccinations thing is so difficult. My sister brought up the MMR thing with her eldest as the controversy was at its height at the time.  Her GP told her that there was only one case of autism in their practice area and that was a child who was too old to have had MMR.  Think one of the big issues with autism/MMR is that autism starts to manifest itself around the time of the MMR being given.  My major worry with the research as well is that the fact that it was sponsored by people with an interest in finding out that there was a link...

I'm so impressed by those of you taking babies on holiday, Ive not had the guts to even think about that yet, will be watching this space closely to see how you get on!

We use washable nappies at the mo.  I use PHP nappy soak for mine which is supposed to be much more environmentally friendly than other soaks.  Have to say I am still amazed at how the sun bleaches nappies!!!!

All is well here, had my aunt and uncle to stay who are fab.  Some really helpful tips and such a difference to our previous visitors!!!  You can tell that they have 5 grandchildren themselves...  I'm finally flying solo with Ted though which is going ok so far but I really hadn't realised how much time he takes up!!!!  But in a VERY good way. 

22/08/2007 at 16:53

AP - Just managed to find my booklet on immunisations - it just says in ours it will be given to babies who may be at more risk of close or prolonged contact.  Apparently a small sore or blister can appear at the injection site.  I seem to remember that well from my own...

Forgot to say about Stansted earlier - that's terrible.  I've also had problems with grotty changing in Marks Minks - Cardiff and Cribbs Causeway are also tiny - they're both huge places - why????

22/08/2007 at 16:57

x

is there an echo on here?

GMx

22/08/2007 at 20:22
Hello all

I'm currently on the Pregnant Runners Forum with just under 5 weeks to go till "graduation". However, I have a breastfeeding question that I thought can probably get a better answer to here!

All going to plan I will be breastfeeding for as long as I can, but I've booked tickets to go see Take That in Manchester in mid-December (when baby monkey will be 10 - 12 wks). It will be an overnighter (leave Thurs morn, arrive home again Fri aftnoon). My question is how do I go about leaving DH enough expressed breast milk to survive without me - infact, is it even possible or should I just give up my vain hope of seeing Gary, Mark, Howard and Jason? Do I need to start expressing weeks in advance to leave a good store? And what do I do about expressing whilst away - am assuming will need to do it to prevent boobs from exploding whilst I bop to all my TT favourites )

Anyway, am really looking for advice about whether its possible to go away for 36 hours or so when you're breastfeeding as I just have no idea!
22/08/2007 at 21:32

Janie - John Lewis at Cribbs have ace facilities, toilet big enough for double buggy and a feeding room complete with drinking water, its on the top floor.

MR - my SIL managed Glastonbury without baby of 10 weeks, she left expressed milk and used some formula as there wasnt enough. She expressed regularly and chucked it over the weekend.  You could build a stock but the problem I have with expressing is finding time!

Any ideas to make being at home with 2 little ones easier??  I am finding it quite hard to juggle thier needs as they both seem to want holding all the time at the mo - possible but you cant do anything else and a girl has to eat, shower, do washing etc.  Thay cry when i put them down.  I know it sounds mad but I am sure the girls get bored as from day 1 we have been out and about loads and I am not sure how to entertain them at this age.  Had to go for a walk in the pouring rain yesturday as it was the only way to make them both happy (its mad, everyone told me I could forget going out with twins but I find that easy, its staying in thats the challenge!)

23/08/2007 at 08:18

Monkey Runner - it will not be a problem.  You will be able to bop away to your fav. songs!  James will be 9 months tomorrow and I still breastfeed, have worked full time for 7 weeks before the summer and expressing was fine.

NCT advice is not to confuse bottle / breast for first 6 weeks.  We followed this and then introduced a bottle of expressed milk.  Expressed milk can be frozen.  When you first try to express you might find there is little milk and almost topple into the pitts of despair - don't, it will right itself might just take a week or so.  James will take a bottle but would have less.

Try expressing milk and freezing it (special bags/pots available from Mothercare/ Boots etc).  Then if you get into a habit you might find that you can leave a fresh bottle and perhaps some more fresh behind as well as a fully stocked freezer!  Frozen milk lasts for long enough and will reassure Daddy that they will be able to cope!  If you freeze it in smal amounts as well as when it is heated any excess is rubbish (gutting after all that effort you put in!)

I think you should be fine, it will be a big wrench jus not seeing little one for so long!!

23/08/2007 at 09:12

MM and Janie - good points about the MMR.  It's so difficult though to know what to do for the best.

Cragchick, sounds as though you're doing great running and fitness-wise.  I went for a run in the pouring rain and howling wind last night.  I ran past the station with a smile on my face as a load of commuters were disembarking from the train.  Got some funny looks but they don't realise how liberating it is to feel strong and fit again after months of tedious jogging during pregnancy and time off to recover after the birth.  Like you, I don't think my core is quite as strong as it was and I am always aware of the fact that I should be careful not to hurt my back again - but find it hard to exercise caution now that I can run faster again.  I also need to do more stretching - OK, I need to START stretching! - as my hamstrings are incredibly tight.  Trouble is by the time I get in from my run it's 7:30pm or later and hubby and I are climbing the walls with hunger, so all I want to do is shower and eat as quickly as possible!

Taking Kit to the doctor today.  He's had a very dry rash on his back for a few weeks now and nothing I try seems to be helping it much.  HV said it was eczema but am not convinced.  It just seemed to appear out of the blue - am wondering if it's connected with teething as he's just sprouted his first two teeth.  It doesn't seem to itch or bother him in any way but obviously I want to clear it up.

I too find the thought of going out and about is often worse than the reality.  Hubby is very laid back about it but I tend to get quite stressed.  I worry about where I'll feed/change Kit, whether he'll eat or be too distracted, whether he'll fall asleep or be too interested in what's going on around him then be tired and crabby because he's missed a nap, and then whether he'll sleep in the car after 5pm and be a nightmare to settle at bedtime because he's had too late a nap!  Usually most of my fears are completely unfounded.  Was very stressed before we went on holiday about disrupting his routine (having got him into it really well) and yes, we did mess about with it a bit while we were away.  He sometimes had his bath later or his last feed later, or his feed times during the day weren't at the exact times they usually are - but he slept really well away and we didn't get up to him in the night then or since we've been back.  They are more adaptable than you think.  We found that as long as we tried to keep his feeds and bedtime at roughly the same times - give or take half an hour or so - there was no problem.

Met up with my antenatal group yesterday, as I do most Wednesdays.  Usually a few people can't make it but yesterday all 7 of us were there with babies.  Must say I found it a bit much and Kit was a bit unsettled in the end - too noisy and too much going on.  We lined all the babies up on the sofa in order of birthday for a photo - one started bawling then one by one they all joined in!  We couldn't stop laughing even though we felt a bit mean doing so!

Kit will be trying pear puree today - will be a lot different from baby rice so will be interested to see how he takes to it. 

23/08/2007 at 13:10

Hetty, its really hard. Do you have them in a routine yet? I used to get my shower during their morning nap 9-10 ish at that age. I often used to run during their lunchtime nap if hubbie was working at home.

Entertainment wise while at home is baby gym. Once they can hold their heads around 3-4 months a doorway bouncer is great, as you can play with one while the other bounces.

I would ensure they get naps at set times each day so they aren't too tired and clinging to you when they are awake, then they have the energy to play. I still take these two out for walks when they are grumpy fresh air is wonderful and they can now go in the baby swings which is great entertainment. Also invest in bouncy chairs which again keep one of both happy if you need to do something, or while feeding the other. Also helps keep them upright if like me you have pukers!!

It does get easier, except they are awake more and need more entertainment, but once they start to play together you can  just sit and watch sometimes, drink a cuppa etc. And of course they sleep at night which helps immensely!

Can help out with advice if you need more, have loads! Have you met any other mums with twins around they same age, that really helps me. I meet up every week with two mums and their babes and we compare notes.

Expressing wise. I gave my two a bottle of expressed milk at 2 weeks, which progressed to a bottle of formula around 8 weeks as my milk supply was bad in the evenings. You can express and store in the freezer, or if all else fails allow babe to have formula for that evening, it won't harm them, although its easier said now then when hormones are raging. You will probably have to express and dump for that evening. We had no nipple confusion problems and they switched from either happily.

I have a medela double electric pump which worked a treat. All over in 10-15 mins, and I was expressing 8oz from each boob by the time they were 4 months!

23/08/2007 at 14:07

So much catching up to do! I smile to myself when I write about how I can't find time for this that and the other, but I find time to come on here and catch up

Hetty - that sounds like hard work! I know what you mean about going out, it's good for everyone to have a change of scenery and get some fresh air - it usually makes Hector drop off once he's got over trying to look at everything all at once, so we often do a 'round the block' to calm him in the evening. Obviously I can't talk from experience, and this might sound like a daft suggestion, but is it possible to double the girls up in a sling or slings? One on the front, one on the back, or both in a hammock style sling? You would at least have your hands free - sort of - to get something done. Hard work though! Just a thought...

Just back from mums and babies yoga and enjoyed it a bit more this time, no puking over everything, which was a relief! We learnt some new moves to do during a nappy change and I had a good stretch (ooh I'm tight!). On my way home, I came out of the tube station and it was pouring down, sideways. I looked up and said 'oh no!' and a woman stopped and offered me her umbrella, not to share, but to keep! I refused at first, but she was insistant, how kind is that?

Well, we went to our 8-week check yesterday...what a crap 'system'. It was truly disheartening. Husband took some time out to come with us, not imagining that we'd be there for two hours. It was at a health centre type place and there were about six mums there. This woman (a health visitor, it turned out) said 'you two', pointing at two of the mums 'undress your babies and I'll weigh them'. This went on in a very brisk manner and husband I were commenting on how we should just pop him on a conveyor belt. It was dreadful. Our appointment was at 3.15 and we eventually saw someone at about 4.30! All she did was go through the questionnaire I had filled in and went over any things that she thought needed highlighting. Rubbish. Since we were discharged by our - wonderful - midwife, we have had no continuity whatsoever and definitely feel like a number. Well, at least we don't have to go back now until he's one, unless we want to get him weighed.

On a positive note, Hector has put on a pound in a week and is now weighing in at 11lb10oz!  

Minks - well done on your run, it sounds rather lovely. Maybe some of those commuters were looking at you longingly, wishing they could do just that! 

23/08/2007 at 14:18

Any of you tried 'Buggy Fit' or similar yet?  Am looking for one in Bucks area - no luck yet!

GMx

23/08/2007 at 14:25

Ooh GM, I was just looking at this website

Coincidence! 

23/08/2007 at 15:30

This is another to look at too GM - don't know if there's one near you.  Pushy Mums I'm thinking of giving it a go. 

Aagh! Ted alert - must go!

23/08/2007 at 15:39
oh excellent Janie, I think that's what I was looking for! There seem to be a few around my way.
23/08/2007 at 16:39

cool - thx ladies - love the title 'Pushy Mums' ... nowt in my area, unless I start a group myself - hmmmm, we'll see.

GMx

201 to 220 of 47,591 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.