Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

221 to 240 of 45,770 messages
01/09/2007 at 20:11
Am catching up on all posts - brb - GMx
02/09/2007 at 15:32

Well done janie...sounds like a good goal and good you and hubbie can gee each other on!

I am going to have to get out there... disasterous day yesturday shopping for clothes that fit while Dad looked after the kids.  I had a mare cos nothing did fit! and he had a mare cos the babies wouldnt settle, looked really frazzled when I got home.  At least he understands now how hard it can be on your own!

Taking the girls to watch him play cricket now... they best get used to it!!!

03/09/2007 at 08:52

Thanks MM, will see if I can find those cups in Tesco.  Have to say Kit's doing really well just with his Tommee Tippee spouted cup - it's not a 'no spill' sort though so I have to supervise!  He managed to get most of the water inside him rather than down him yesterday and went ballistic when I decided he'd had enough water and tried to take the cup away!  I think he just loves trying to be independent, bless him.  He seems to be taking well to my concoctions too - yesterday he had sweet potato, carrot and pear for lunch, then baby rice and courgette puree for tea (with a dash of pear as this seems to keep his poo soft!)

We went for a studio photo session yesterday!  Got a flyer in the post a while back and you had to fill out your details to stand a chance of being selected for a complimentary photo session - and we got selected.  It was great fun and Kit was a real star - he only started to get fed up after an hour so he did really well, and was happy and smiley throughout.  We have to go back in 3 weeks to view the photos and make our selection: the offer includes one free framed picture.  We'll probably want to order more but were rather disheartened when we saw the price list - SO expensive!

Janie, great about your return to running!  I definitely think that being fit before pregnancy aided my recovery from the C-section.  I was back running after 6 weeks - for the first few runs I kept to a slow pace, around 9:30/10 minute miles - but it didn't take long for the pace to creep up.  I did overdo it to start with though and hurt my back, which meant that after being back running for only a week I then had to take two weeks off!  Took it more cautiously after that - starting with literally 1.5 mile runs and building from there rather than launching straight in to 3 milers 4 times a week.  Ran 6 miles last night and averaged 7:54 pace for the whole run, which includes a couple of quite steep hills and the first 3 miles are pretty much all uphill.  I was pleased with that, but definitely need new running shoes as noticed my legs really ached during the run.  Bought this current pair before I was pregnant so I think they're probably well past their expiry date.

Hetty, it's good for dads to spend some time alone with the baby/babies - I don't think they realise until they do that how much hard work it is and what you actually do all day!

03/09/2007 at 22:27

hi,  I too am back running!  Went to gym yesterday and did 5k on treadmill - was going to go outside but it's been so blooming windy all week and where I live it is impossible to go anywhere without running up and down hills and wanted a flat run for my first.  Must say though that after 1k I thought I was going to die.  might have had something to do with complete pigheadedness and a refusal to run at less than my former "plodding" pace.  Ended up walking for 100m then running 500m then walking again then conceding that I might need to take the pace down if I was to run continuously.  Managed the rest of it running though at 1.2km/hr slower but I upped the pace every 100m in the last k so not so bad.  Took me 28.31 - oh lordy will I ever get back to a decent pace.  Phoned London Marathon the other day too and they confirmed I definitely have a place.  Help!! 

Oh well, it felt good to be doing something again though my groin has been niggling ever since.  probably shouldn't have sat on the bike for half an hour after the run!  But the athletics was on and I was feeling inspired by the 4x400m!!

Any tips for getting babs to sleep during the day?  louise is good as gold at night, sleeps so well and feeds the once and goes straight back down but during the day it's a nightmare.  She just refuses to sleep which means I get no down time at all and worse I end up eating rubbish as I think I won't get lunch etc so just grab crisps, chocolate and all the cr*p of the day. 

Trying to upload more photos to photobox.  Did it yesterday or so I thought.  Somehow I uploaded them but didn't store them in my album.  Who knows.  have ordered prints of them all.  Have decided am sick of digital photography as you never have any actual photos any more and if you do want to print them it's a lot of effort. 

Right, Andy managed to get Lou to go to sleep at 9pm so have done about a million chores and am heading for the shower - yet another thing I can't do in the morning cos she won't nap!

04/09/2007 at 09:56

EF, I sympathise as Kit wasn't much of a napper in the day either.  He's got better now though - as they move about more they use more energy and get more tired!  From Day 1 I started getting up at 6:30am so I could guarantee getting a shower and getting dressed etc. before hubby went to work.  We still do this now - I get up and shower, while hubby gets Kit up and changes his nappy.  When I'm out the shower and dressed, I feed him.  The early start isn't great but I just can't bear the thought of going all day without a shower and feeling skanky.  On the plus side, when Kit naps I can get more done if I don't have to worry about getting myself ready.

Now that he's not having a dream feed, he's waking up a bit earlier in the morning - this morning I heard him murmuring in his cot at 5:45am.  He doesn't cry or demand attention but we have no idea how long he's been awake for unless he starts making cute baby noises.  This morning I had to put him down for a nap at 8:20am as he was so tired, and he's still asleep now at nearly 100am!  In that time I've done a load of washing, ordered some more weaning cubes online, made carrot puree and sent a few emails to friends.

Well done on getting back to the running so quickly.  Don't worry at all about pace at first - it will come back, trust me.  I was really slow at first and wondered how I ever used to run faster, but as your body gets back into it the pace just seems to naturally return.  I struggled with stamina too at first - even just a few months off running undoes all the hard work and it takes a while to regain.  My leg strength still isn't quite where it was but it's getting better all the time.  I was so elated to be able to run again that I actually didn't care that I was slower and less fit at the outset. 

04/09/2007 at 11:40

Hello all!

Just a quickie to tell you how the wedding went (we're off on our hols tomorrow, so trying to pack and REMEMBER EVERYTHING!!)

It was lovely, very happy, smiley, romantic wedding. It was a very long day though and we were knackered by the time the reception started! Hector got so much attention, lots of cooing and ahhing. He was great - slept through the ceremony but was snoring (!), then had a few grumpy moments when he was over-stimulated - he would not go to sleep in the evening even though you could see his little eyes were really heavy. He didn't want to miss anything! (the next day he slept loads, poor thing). The thing I found most exhausting was feeling I had to explain myself all the time when people came up: 'oh, he's still sleeping?' 'yes' 'Oh dear, he's crying!' 'yes, he's tired' 'when can I hold him?' 'when he wakes up/feels like being held' and so on. Blimey. Anyway, we coped and my poor husband was so tired himself that he hardly drank a thing and we were in bed by midnight, didn't even have a dance and I'm known for my dancing!

I put some photos on my Flickr page if you fancy a look. 

Well done everyone who is back running, that's great and good to hear you feeling so positive. 

Right, so much to do before tomorrow and the blimmin' Tubes are on strike, just when we need them.  

I will be back to tell you how we get on with holidaying when we return.

A xx 

04/09/2007 at 13:05

Not sure if you'll remember me from the Pregnant Runners thread, have been on maternity leave for 11 months and am just back at work now, didn't have access to email or internet at home.  Gave birth to Isla on 20th October last year, was 9 days late, got induced, forceps etc, but enough said about that.  Isla was 8lbs 9oz at birth and now is away up about 23lbs, she is going to be tall (i am tall, 5ft 9 in and hubby is over 6ft).  Have thoroughly enjoyed being at home, but ready to come back to work part time now (3 days a week).  Think 6 months would have been too early for me and glad we could stretch financially to a few extra unpaid months leave.

Yesterday was my first day back and my Mum came to our house and looked after Isla she was fine and not even upset.  Today she is at nursery and not so happy, her first full day there.  Mum is going to look after her on a monday and she is going to a nursery on a tuesday and wednesday.

As for the running, first of all i started back in march, but had really stiff ankles in the morning, so rested for a couple of weeks then started again about july and strained something in my hip, got checked out by a physio and everything ok, so rested it for another wee while and the past two weeks i have just started again.  Everything going ok so far, adding a few minutes each time i go out and up to 30 mins with no problems.  Also went out for a short hill walk and got to the top of the nearest hill in the same time as pre-pregnancy, so not lost much fitness it seems, perhaps all the long walks pushing the push chair round a bumpy hilly estate have kept me reasonably fit.

04/09/2007 at 17:41

Hello! - thought I should show my face here as I can officially graduate to this thread now.  I've been posting on the pregnant runners thread so a lot of names are familiar, but just to give a brief bit of history: Eddie was born 3 weeks ago by c/s and I'm recovering really well, which I put down to running up to (and beyond!) my due date (when I say running I really mean a sort of gentle waddle). I'm quite keen to get back to running again soon but don't want to risk injury, especially as I'm hoping to take up my GFA place at FLM next year, so I'll probably be asking advice from some of you in the next few weeks. Well done to everyone who's back running- I do find reading your experiences is really inspiring.

04/09/2007 at 21:10

So much for the elation at back running - pretty sure I am getting a stinking cold.  Throat agony, sneezing lots.  Can't wait for Lou to get it too.

Still, am not going to grumble, am just going to think of Jane Tomlinson and be thankful that I can run and that I have my health.  What an inspiration she was. 

Going to try to tidy up now - Lou has had a good day (she even slept a couple of times for 30 - 40 mins at a time!) and she's gone down OK tonight too.  See, this is when I get cocky and think we've cracked it and tomorrow will probably be a nightmare.  It's my birthday tomorrow too.  House looks like a bomb hit it because we had to get plumber in to fit a new shower and the pipe box runs along the back of our wardrobe so had to move my shoes.  OH MY GOD. I reckon I must have 100 pairs.  I have 10 pairs of boots!!  And that doesn't include wellies or walking boots!  I now have to move them all back.  Also had to empty linen cupboard as weirdly pipes run from wardrobe to linen cupboard then into bathroom.  So now have all my towels etc scattered round spare room. 

Nice to meet you Mrs O - I have the nursery thing to look forward to in January, we just sent off the cheque to book Louise's place the other day.  not quite sure how I'll cope but it's really close to the office so I can always pop in at lunchtime to see how she's doing. 

04/09/2007 at 21:56

Sod tidying up.  Faffing about on the internet so much more fun! 

How's everyone's weight doing?  nosy question I know but I think I am starting to put on weight now that Lou is 7 weeks.  I am finding it difficult not to eat rubbish, as I said above, and I can tell that it's going to creep on.  Here's hoping that the exercise will burn it off but it's a bit of a nightmare.  I tried not having rubbish in the house but then I go for a walk and stop off somewhere instead!  I have no will power and there's a bit of me saying well until you stop breastfeeding you're always going to carry some extra weight in the boobs so you might as well just eat what you like and unfortunately what I liked today included a packet of sainsburys shrimps and bananas, a packet of hula hoops, TWO scones with jam, a fudge bar and a cinnamon bagel.  Not to speak of the regular meals of fish fingers (forgot to defrost the chicken), chicken soup and my breakfast cereal.  Man, having read that I think I might just do about 100 sit ups right beside this pc.  Tomorrow will be bad too cos I always eat what I like on my birthday - OK so that's acceptable - but then I will have to break the habit on thursday.  Actually, just remembered that my friend and personal trainer is coming to visit on Thursday after a 3 month break away travelling.  He couldn't have timed that better from my point of view!  he's quite scary so Thursday should be a better day.  My main worry is that I am going to grow back out of my jeans!

04/09/2007 at 21:58
Meant to say JT, £2500 is pretty hefty.  I had to do £1000 back in 2002 and that was quite hard work though I hit £1500 in the end.  I don't think I could make £2500.  Fingers crossed for the ballot!  I'm quite scared of FLM now that I know I am definitely in.  I desperately want to beat my time from 2002 and get a Good For Age time, only need to take 7 mins off, but I am not hopeful, not after that run!
05/09/2007 at 09:16

I've still got about a stone to lose after 10 months !!!  Have been breastfeeding and using that as an excuse to eat lots and not diet.  About 7 or 8 months when Isla really started taking more solids i think i even put on about 4 or 5 pounds just as she was taking less milk from me.  Also when you're at home its hard to eat healthily, however now back at work so eating fruit at coffee time instead of biscuits and cakes.  Also hoping that once i get back to running properly that should take some weight of as well.  Also planning to stop breastfeeding when she's one, so if my boobs shrink back from ridiculous H cups back to E/F then that might be another half pound or so lost.

05/09/2007 at 09:42

Phew!  Another load of posts to catch up on!  Lovely to see you, Mrs O - remember you well from last summer and nice that you have internet access again.  Welcome too to Sarahbob.  AP, glad the wedding went well - we had to face exactly the same comments from other people and I got a bit beside myself when I could see that Kit desperately wanted and needed to be put down in his cot and the speeches hadn't even begun!  You just want to do the best for them and when you know what that is and you can't provide it you just feel awful.

EF, your posts really make me laugh.  I thought I had a lot of shoes but I can obviously relax now and go buy a few more pairs as I have nowhere near 100!  (Hubby would probably say I have far too many already!)  Janie, know what you mean about foot size.  I'm still wearing the same pair of running shoes I bought just before I fell pregnant (although they desperately need replacing now) and they do feel slightly too small, especially when I run downhill and can feel my toes pressing against the ends.  Just haven't had time to go and look for a new pair.  Will probably just stick with my faithful Nike Pegasus as they seem to have served me well so far.  All this talk of FLM reminds me that I need to send in my application for a GFA place for 2008.  I got a GFA time last year so it should be good for 2008 unless they've changed the rules - but if I remember correctly from before, GFA applications have to be sent in by the end of September ... must check the FLM website.  I don't think I stand a chance of a new PB - mine was 3:23 last time on 5 runs a week - as I have far less time to train and only run 4 times a week, but I'd settle for sub-3:45 and another GFA place.

Re. weight, I'm afraid I'm more or less back to my pre-pregnancy size.  Not sure about the weight as we don't have any scales, but in the last few weeks (since my mileage started to go up a little bit) I've noticed I can get back into virtually all my old clothes and they fit comfortably.  Before I could get into them but they felt tight.  Even though I'm at home all day I have to say I'm not much of a snacker - never have been apart from right at the end of my pregnancy.  My mum came over yesterday and I didn't even have a pack of biscuits I could offer her!  I just don't buy them because they end up going stale before they get eaten.  I did buy a pack of raisin and cinnamon bagels at the weekend and have been having one of those with my mid-morning cuppa this week, but I don't find I eat that much during the day.  We never have anything in that I really feel like eating, and I can't always be bothered to go to the supermarket just for something for lunch.  Also I'm so busy with Kit and preparing batches of fresh puree for him that sometimes I just forget to eat myself!  My main problem is getting to just before my run and realising I've forgotten to have my pre-run banana an hour before, then having to eat it and run within about 10 minutes.  I can't run without it or I start feeling light-headed, but eating it so close to a run isn't always a good idea either; gives me a stitch.  We always have a big meal in the evening - last night was home-made chilli and tonight we've got chicken stir-fry.  I think I'm a bit strange though as women go as I've never really been into chocolate, cakes and snacks (although my mum's group friends have helped me get over that a bit!)

05/09/2007 at 14:01

Hello mrs o. Lovely to hear from you again.

My twin boys are now 10.5 months and wonderful. Am loving being a mum and have no intention of going back to my current job. Starting up my own business, all very exciting.

I am still 4-5lbs heavier than pre-pregnancy. Higher mileage and rushing around has not got rid of it, so looks like its staying. I also find its suddenly lunch time as so busy but I do eat and eat well as need the energy to look after these two and run well too.

I must admit to eating cakes and chocolate and I love them, but mainly cos I meet up with friends quite often, but also I need the energy to get through the day. Have always had a sweet tooth, and feel now am running 50-60 mpw again can justify it. I stopped breast feeding at 6 months so can't use that excuse!

Ran a 10 miler on Sunday in 67 mins, came 5th, so pretty pleased. Not as fast as I wanted, but it was pretty warm on sunday and very windy. Slowly getting there.

05/09/2007 at 14:56

Sounds like you are busy Mitchie Moo, you must have given birth about the same time as me (20th Oct) did you have much problem with the boys when you stopped breastfeeding ?  We have tried to give Isla formula a few times but she just won't take it.  As she's just taking one big feed early morning and one at night i'm still breastfeeding  and hoping she'll stop herself at about 1 year old, if not i'm stopping then anyway, i want my boobs back !!

Isla is loving her food but having a bit trouble getting her onto lumpier stuff, she likes chewing on a bit toast but a few times she has bitten off more than she can chew and ended up choking a wee bit then being sick.  She manages soft stuff like peaches, plums etc.  Are you're two onto lumpy stuff and chomping on toast, fruit etc  ??  I sieved mince and tatties for her once and she even puked that up, maybe she didn't like the texture?

Hopefully once i get back into running properly i will lose that stone.  Can get the zip up on my old jeans but just too tight to be comfy at the moment.  Worst bit is my stomach which is still pretty wobbly and skin a bit loose, don't know what to do about it or if just got bad skin type that is prone to stretching and stretch marks.   Don't think i've lost much fitness, ran with some of the girls from work and i wasn't slowing them up, in fact i could probably have run a bit faster and also walked up two local small hills and took me the same time as pre pregnancy which i was quite chuffed about !

06/09/2007 at 09:06

Well there we go, a benefit of being sick throughout pregnancy (and beyond!) - by the time I got out of hospital I weighed less than I had pre-pregnancy.  This was great but I think now I am starting to put it on again (already had 2 bags of crisps this morning and it has only just gone 9am). Our scales are broken so I will never know.

Mrs O good to have you back with us and I am sure Isla will be fine at the nursery today.

James went to a childminder for the first day on Monday (I had a non-pupil day) and then on Tues morning when we arrived he gave her a huge smile.  That made it so much easier for me.  Unfortunately he had to put up with me again yesterday.

Anyway, got to write targets for the kids whilst he is sleeping.

06/09/2007 at 09:08

Something else I just remembered James and several babies from our ante-natal group all went through a phase where they seemed tothink they were too big for a daytime sleep.  However, they all grew out of it soon enough.  I used to go for a walk with James and then leave him in the back garden sleeping.  If I brought him in immediately he would wake

Good luck 

06/09/2007 at 09:57

Yes mrs o. My two were born on 21st oct, they were small though 4.5lb each. I breast fed them soley until 8 weeks, then gave in and they had a bottle of formula before bedtime as my milk seemed to take a nose dive that time of day, especially producing for two, so they have had a bottle all along. I also expressed before bed and hubbie gave them that feed from a bottle from about 2 weeks!

They do eat their solids pretty well. They have small pasta shapes in sauce, spag bol etc. mashed potato with tinned sardines all mashed is a fav, and a very easy cupboard standby. And I make mini pizzas for them from muffins, which I cut into bits and they love it, very messy though. They eat chunks of veg, carrots, brocoli etc. I buy a bag of frozen mixed veg and cook in the microwave and just put a handful on their trays. They love the bright colours. They eat mini sandwiches as well, and chunks of cheese and yes they love fruit chunks. Only thing we have a problem with is scrambled egg.

Janie, I remember when my two started sleeping through I felt so much more tired than when I had to get up. I think the adrenalin keeps you going and then suddenly your body realises you have to catch up. I am exhausted now as trying to run and rush around after two rapid babes. Twisted my ankle on run last night, really cross, but seems to be OK. Fingers crossed.

06/09/2007 at 20:41

Minks I need your mindset just for a week!  I am one of these people who doesn't usually buy junk because if it's there I have to eat it.  But have been buying stuff for visitors so it's around me and basically I have got into the habit of eating rubbish.  Need to get my head in gear and break habit.  Thought I'd do better today with trainer coming round but we all sat and steadfastly stared at the unopened packet of biscuits and we all said no we didn't want any.  They left and I tore open the pack and ate 4.  They barely got chewed.  Understandable if I hadn't eaten all day but I'd eaten a Thorntons bag of chocolate covered turkish delight just before they arrived!  Got loads of choccy for my birthday so am going to have to hoover it down over the next 3 days and start afresh on monday.  Am going to write out a plan like I used to when I went to weightwatchers but allow myself some extra points to deal with breastfeeding.  I find it easier somehow to control my eating when I have to see what I can have and tick it off as I eat it.  I definitely have some food issues!  Am just about the same weight as when I first went to WW - 10st 6 on the scales yesterday - but I don't want to lose as much as I did last time back in 2001.  Went down to 8st 12 which on me was a bit skeletal.  Though if I can get down to 9st 7 I'll be well chuffed.  I was 9st 12 pre preg. 

Louise slept til 6 again last night although as expected she played up like mad all last night.  Screamed from 5 til 9pm even though she had two feeds in that time.  Finally got my birthday presents from Andy at 10.45pm!  It's great when she sleeps til 6 but the problem is that I woke at 5 cos she was making such a blooming racket with arms flailing all over the shop but her eyes were firmly shut.  she did that for an hour before she propped one eyelid open.  I spent the whole hour jumping up to check if she was awake or not - hardly restful! 

janie the deal when i did the charity place was that they made you sign a form saying that if you couldn't get the money raised you had to let them know in advance.  If you stood on start line and raced then you were basically contracted to hand over £1000 regardless of where it came from.  My understanding though was that if you said even the day before that you couldn't do it then you could back out and not have to pay - it's to do with them losing golden bond places.  However it was 2002 when I did it so rules may well have changed. 

3.23 marathon- I dream of that.  If I can get 3.44.59 I will be ecstatic.  Wish I didn't have to train through winter though.  yeah yeah I know the solution - run an autumn marathon but grumpy here doesn't actually like running in the heat either!

06/09/2007 at 22:52

Hello all

re daytime sleeps.... mine will only sleep in the day in thier bouncy chairs, will never go off in thier pram or cot but the combo of chair and dummy has them off in minutes!  Neither sleep for that long at a stretch though, 30 mins if I am lucky (unless out in car or pram).  i am a mean mum though and leave the girls in thier cot to shower etc as i cant bare to get up early - I have perfected a 3 min shower though!

Did a solo trip to london to see family for a few days and all was good.  Both slept there and back despite a nearly 4 hour journey this morning and slept well in the travel cot, off to france next weekend so glad about that!

ef you sound like me with food!  I dont keep stuff in the house usually but have taken to buying biscuits cos I need to eat something in the night when i feed the girls or I feel awful when i get up - problem is I know they are there and keep sneaking one when I fancy something sweet.  I presumed feeding 2 would help the weight loss but it doesnt seem to be going anywhere.

Had 8 week check and jabs this afternoon, both are thriving and thier weight gain over the past fortnight was above average and they have moved up the chart.  They are very long - above the 50th centile despite weight being on 2nd for Milla and 25th for Ella.  they seem ok after the jabs thank god.... it was horrid as I took them alone so could not comfort either of them properly as I had to sort the other one out - will take someone with me next time if I can.

221 to 240 of 45,770 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.