Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

241 to 260 of 45,653 messages
07/09/2007 at 08:27

Hetty - feel for you jabs for two of them - not nice.

Funnily I was at GP yesterday having finally come off BP tablets (only to be told it is going up again...) and there was a wee boy in front of me asking 'Mummy can I go and get my injections now?'.

Bless him, we heard his cry and knew the deed had been done.  Then as he was going out the door he sais 'Mummy, I don't want to have my injections again.'  Quick learner!!

JT - I've gone 2 days a week.  It was fantastic on Tues wishing everyone a good weekend - I think I might end up friendless very soon! 

07/09/2007 at 09:50

Goodness hetty can imagine. I had hubbie with me for each set of jabs otherwise it would have been awful. Funnily though can get double buggy through door of surgery but not through the doctors or nurses doors! We have the one year jabs fast approaching!

Tried to park in multistorey on sat in cambridge, the lift would not fit a wheelchair let alone a double buggy. Note to self not to go there on my own as would not get down. We had to carry the babes and buggy down the stairs!! Hubbie picked me up on the lower ground floor on the way back.

My two are pretty tall as well, but Harry still only on 2nd for weight as well, I think he is on 25th for height.

07/09/2007 at 09:59

MM, I'm green with envy at your 10M time.  I will NEVER be that fast!  Am only up to 7 miles at the moment but will be hitting a 10-mile Sunday run in a couple of weeks - I think then I'll feel like a 'proper' runner again.  My pace is pretty good even compared with pre-pregnancy but stamina and strength take months to build and only weeks to lose, so I'm not sure a PB marathon time is possible for next year, especially given that I now have less time to train.  I can't get out until after Kit's been bathed and is in bed, usually around 7pm, so not sure how I'm going to be able to run 8+ miles during the week as I did when marathon training last time.  It would mean getting back around 8:15 then I'd have to shower and have dinner which would make it quite late - not sure hubby would be up for waiting until 9pm for his dinner!  Will have to think about how I could work it.  I could run at lunchtime once I'm back at work, but again it's difficult because I've been moved into a shared office so if I'm longer than an hour it might be more obvious - when I had my own office I got away with it!  Also as I'm only going to be working 3 days a week I feel I can't take liberties as much as I used to.  Might have to settle for racing shorter distances for the time being, but really don't want to waste my GFA place ...

Have just sent two emails of complaint.  One is to my local Sainsbury's.  They've just got brand new trolleys with really nice baby seats - but Kit chews the straps as I'm pushing him around the store (as I'm sure a lot of babies do) and I found red dye all over his T-shirt on Monday after we'd done the shopping.   Even if it isn't toxic (!) I'm not impressed at it coming off all over his clothes.  Will see what they have to say.  Also emailed a company called Sassy who make baby toys.  My mum bought Kit a Sassy teether from John Lewis and yesterday I noticed bits of green round his mouth.  At first I thought it was courgette then realised he hadn't eaten any that day, and on closer inspection it turned out to be chips of green paint off his teether.  Not impressed.  The website states that their products are rigorously tested and are completely safe, but am not happy that this is the case.  Watch this space ...

07/09/2007 at 13:27

Blimey Minks, thats shocking! Hope you get a good response.

Just found a bit of book in Joshies mouth when were in the library, but guess a bit of cardboard is probably OK!!!

Gave my two strawberries fresh from the garden for brekkie, big mistake, Joshie was sick afterwards. Had this problem before with strawberries so will lay off them till next summer now. Shame as they hadn't been sick for ages.

On my own all weekend, hubbie off on boys weekend. I hate it when the week is extended like this, its so much easier with two of us at the weekends, and I'll feel very lonely tonight. Bathing the two of them is a nightmare now. Joshie has discovered the toilet and is obsessed by standing up and looking into it. Trying to keep it really clean and saying 'No dirty' to him, its very hard though.

Did anyone watch supernanny on weds night? It was about a couple with two sets of twins. Blimey, definitely enough to put me off having anymore!!!

07/09/2007 at 19:35

I watched with interest!! Apparently tou are much more likely to have twins when you already have a set already.... scary thought!  Met a woman with twins who got pregnant when they were 2 months old so had 3 kids under 1!! Was very impressed as they were all lovely and that she was even in aposition to get pregnant with baby twins

Hope your weekend is ok MM, I too now really look forward to weekends as its the only time I feel I can give the girls real quality time... and have a rest!

We are off to a wedding reception tomorrow night, our first proper night out.  Looking forward to it but a little aprehensive, hope granny can cope if they both wake up at the same time!!

Good for you complaINING MINKS... SOUNDS AWFUL! (OOPS sorry didnt mean for caps!)

07/09/2007 at 21:00

No response to either of my emails of complaint so far - tsk!  Did get an automated response from Sainsbury's though, acknowledging receipt of my email and saying that it had been passed to the customer services team.  I will be very cross if I get no reply!

MM, completely understand how you feel being left alone.  I had Kit on my own for a whole weekend when hubby was away on my brother's stag weekend.  It did make it feel like a very long week, especially as it was the weekend of Kit's (one and only) sleeping 'blip' when he was waking every hour of the night.  When hubby got home on the Sunday night we were both zombies, for completely different reasons!  Hubby has had a few Saturday nights out which basically means I get Kit all Sunday too while hubby recovers!  Makes it sound as though hubby is out on the beers every weekend but that's far from being the case - he doesn't go out that often, but when he does it's quite often with my brother and all his mates and they all cane their beer.  Hubby tries to keep up and always ends up in a state!

Kit finally managed to roll from back to front today.  He's been rolling from tummy to back for ages but always gets stuck going the other way.  He did a big poo after his tea this evening and it wasn't worth putting a clean nappy on him before his bath, so I stripped him completely and let him roll around naked on a large towel in the lounge.  Unencumbered by his clothes he rolled right over on to his tummy, then rolled back and looked VERY pleased with himself!

Hubby came in this evening with baby toothpaste and a baby toothbrush, so we can start cleaning Kit's two tiny teeth - bless! 

07/09/2007 at 21:47

Jinxing things as I type but tonight Louise and I came in from a walk at 5pm.  Fed her and then let her play on her gym whilst Andy and I ate our tea.  Then gave her a bath with Johnsons bedtime bath stuff and a wee massage with the lotion after.  20 mins on the right boob and then put her in bed at 8pm and so far so good.....Andy has gone out with the boys so I was really nervous as she often doesn't settle with me.  I'm not sure if him going out means I am doing both the 11pm feed at the 4am - we'll have to negotiate that at 4am!

Minks, that's terrible re sainsburys.  I have just done my shop online, could not be assed to get myself to the shops!  Impressed at Kit's mobility, cannot imagine Louise being able to roll over but then I look back at her 1 week pics are realise how big she is already!

hetty have fun tomorrow. 

If anyone has nothing better to do than nosey at pics (and sometimes you just don't!) there are loads more on my photobox album here http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5899118  but be warned - it's over 100 now!

08/09/2007 at 09:50

Had very rough night with Harry. Teething but making a meal of it bless him. He had a bad temperature so had to give him calpol at 2am, followed by ibuprofen at 4am, finally his temp came down.

Hubbie had nice meal at pub, several ales and a lie in. Tsshhh!

Off to take them to childminder for 2 hours so I can get a run in. Long run will have to wait till hubbie gets home at lunchtime. I hate waiting to do a run on a sunday, I like to get up and get it done as early as poss. Nevermind!

Enjoy your night out Hetty.

08/09/2007 at 17:43

Minks I hope you fare better with your complaint.  I got a response from the airport, not dealing with what I raised and an 'attached sheet that should clarify about baby milk and food to make my next trip easier' - perhaps they should have given that to the workers who took the allowed food away from me.  Very cross, people can't even read letters of complaint.

MM Hope Harry has a better night tonight.

I was hoping to go for a run this morning whilst hubbie got James up and dressed - however, he briefly got up when James poured a tub of water over his cot (and I asked for help) and promptly went back to bed having stripped the cot - not remade it, or put the stuff in the washing machine, or got his don up which was the plan.   maybe next weekend... 

09/09/2007 at 11:34

Have to say my other half is brilliant. Hence why I must let him go away on his mens weekends. He tends to get the boys up every morning and give them their brekkie, and he does their bath most days too. Am very lucky I get to run most days morning or evening. He does no cooking for them though but thats fine probably easier if one of us is in charge of that. Bonus of him working from home I guess, and on the days he is here and not with clients he loves seeing them during his breaks, its great for the boys too.

Harry was much better last night, MediSed at 6pm and he slept till 6.30am thank goodness. I went to bed at 9.30pm, very sad on a sat night! He is still very wingey though, and the tooth hasn't even started cutting yet, a few more days of it yet I fear. Worse thing is it obviously hurts him to eat, and don't have pureed food, may have to whizz up his risotto for lunch, see how he goes.

Sleeping bags are great. My two move all over the cot now, so sheets really would not work now. I do worry when they bang their heads in the night though they seem to be insistent on sleeping near the edges or ends even though they have a huge cotbed.

09/09/2007 at 12:42

MM, you're lucky that hubby works from home especially as you have two.  Have to say my hubby is fantastic too, even though he has to commute into central London every day.  He gets Kit up and changes his nappy in the morning while I shower and get myself sorted, then I do his feed while hubby gets ready for work.  There's usually a little time for hubby to spend with Kit before he leaves for work, and now that Kit's bedtime is a little bit later he's usually home before he goes down.  Hubby always cuts Kit's nails - a job a hate doing! - and at weekends we each have a day for a lie-in while the other gets Kit up and gives him his breakfast.

Kit is now getting hungry quite quickly after his morning milk feed - his next feed isn't supposed to be until around 11am but the past two days I've had to feed him at 10:40 and 10:30 respectively so think I'm going to buy some baby cereal this afternoon and start him on some morning solids tomorrow.  He LOVES his solids - seems to take everything we give him quite happily.  Had sweet potato and parsnip yesterday and butternut squash today: he eats better than we do!

Just planned my 7-mile route for this afternoon, now must get some water down my neck as have hardly drunk anything so far today!

Also recommend sleeping bags - Kit's been in his since about 8 weeks.  He always kicked off his covers when he slept in the carry cot and there's no way he'd keep covers on in his big cot.  He seems to like his sleeping bag and associates it with sleeping as he always smiles up at me as I zip him in.

09/09/2007 at 23:06

Eddie has done his first race!  We all went to the Grunty Fen half marathon today as mrbob was running it, and my older 2 children wanted to do the fun run.  As J is 4 he needed to be accompanied by an adult, so I ended up going round with him with Eddie strapped on my front in his sling - he was a star and slept the whole way round, even when I was having to do a slow jog to keep up with J (I think it must have reminded him of when I ran when I was pregnant!). So I have unintentionally also done my first run (if you can call a c.15 minute mile that!) since birth - luckily it all felt OK despite being most unsuitably clad in jeans and sandals.  All the children got medals (including Eddie!), and mrbob came 2nd in the half and won £180 - so everbody was happy! 

I'm now inspired to try some gentle run-walking next week - Janie, are you following the RW pregnancy book routine exactly? Only I'm a bit worried that 5 sessions a week is a bit unmanageable, so I wondered if you were doing that many?

Also a big fan of sleeping bags - we have a very lightweight one that Eddie's been in a couple of times, although the last week or so it's been quite warm at night so he hasn't been in it.  They're great in winter though for keeping them toasty all night long.  And Mitchie - Medised is great stuff, isn't it? When J was teething and had some horrendous coughs and runny noses it really calmed him down at night - I must remember to buy some more in readiness for Eddie.

Better head off to bed now as no doubt I'll be up again in a few hours ...

10/09/2007 at 08:50

Gross question regarding wobbly tummy,

I had my appendix out about 17 years ago and the wound got infected after as well and was left with a horrible scar which is kind of pulled in.  Now that i've had Isla my tummy is still (10 months on!) abit wobbly and saggy and the bit where my appendix scar is, is kind of overhanging almost (yeuch, sorry guys, i know its first thing on a monday).  Anyone any ideas of how to help my stomach, at 10 months after birth is it not going to get any better, would exercises help do you think, did all the post natal ones and have been doing core exercises (maybe not often enough though).

My hubby is not bad now, to begin with he used to get her up on a weekend and let me have a lie in but then i would get up and she would still be in her sleepsuit and not had breakfast, but now he's got the hint and gets her dressed and fed.  Also he's been good anytime she's had a major puke all over me and her (usually due to taking too much milk too quick), he takes all the pukey clothes rinses them and puts them in the wash while i get us cleaned up and Isla back on the boob or back to bed.

Isla getting better all the time with her solids, she demolished a whole 1/4 slice of toast and no choking/puking, i suppose you just have to persevere.  She was fine at nursery last tuesday and wednesday, obviously not happy when i left, but calmed down soon after and seemed to be quite happy.

10/09/2007 at 10:36

Mrs O - I had similar stomach issues after my 2nd child - having had 2 c/sections I had a prominent tummy overhang. I started exercising / eating sensibly in earnest when he was around 20 months (having never done regular exercise in my adult life before), and started with a combination of yoga classes and gym work - I soon took up running and never looked back! I think both running and yoga made a real difference with my stomach - it looked better than it had done in years (literally about 10!), and I lost nearly 2 stone into the bargain.  So I would say that it's not too late at all at 10 months post-birth - it won't be overnight, but now you've started back running regularly you'll see a difference, and maybe doing some gentle core work regularly like yoga or pilates to work on those bits ( I always find going to a class better than trying to do it at home).  Also if you have weight to lose, once that starts to drop off it will help too.  Now at 4 weeks post the birth of my 3rd child, I need to convince myself to start practising what I've just preached! 

10/09/2007 at 11:19

Thanks sarabob, you have given me some hope, my belly is definetly wobbly due to fat i would say rather than saggy skin.  Now that i'm back at work part-time i will get into healthier eating patterns and my hip seems to be ok over the past 2 weeks since i started running again so hopefully that will help.  Will also get back into the yoga and core exercises, i was doing them regularly but when i first had a sore hip i kept doing them and my hip didn't seem to get better even though i'd stopped runnning, so stopped all exercise until my hip was better (apart from stretches and walking).  Even after two weeks of running and a week back at work eating a bit healthier think i have dropped a pound or two.  Am still about 10lbs heavier than pre-pregnancy and even then i was always about half a stone overweight.  Am looking forward to getting back into running and trying a 10k befroe then end of the year and see if i can still run it in about 55 mins.

How is baby no.3 getting on ? you must be a pro by now  Did you have a boy or girl ?  I really must read through all the earlier posts and see who's who and who's had boys, girls, etc etc

10/09/2007 at 11:21
sarabob, did you have a lot of stretch marks, did they fade with time, i've got loads below my belly button, they've faded a wee bit but not much so far yeuch
10/09/2007 at 12:35

mrs o - no.3 is a boy ( I have a girl and 2 boys now) - not sure you ever feel like it's easy, but it's certainly much more relaxed being a parent by the time you get to no.3! 

Yes to lots of stretch marks - they certainly got less noticeable but never totally disappear.  Doesn't bother me much now, though - especially as I don't tend to show too much flesh on the beach / at the pool nowadays!

10/09/2007 at 13:53

I am still half stone heavier than I was before, and this is all around my tummy. Not sure how it will go now, as running 50-60 mpw, going to pilates and am not prepared to diet, so looks like the belly is staying. I am on the light side anyway like Minks, so everyone says I look fab considering I had twins 10 months ago, but I guess I know I was trimmer before! Maybe with time it will slowly disappear, there is a six pack under there somewhere.

So I have no suggestions mrs o, as been trying myself. Certainly won't be wearing a crop top to race in like I used to, fully vested tummy armour now!!

Was very lucky I got no stretch marks. Which does amaze me given how enormous I was.

Minks I used Heinz Oaty porridge for my boys to start with, and have now progressed them onto weetabix or Tesco Instant porridge which are both much cheaper. Sometimes they have toast and jam, but that is very messy!

10/09/2007 at 20:32

Sleeping.  We use sleeping bags too now.  I have a sheet bag that I got from Jojo Maman which has been great during the summer and muggy nights.  I always go in to put a blanket over him before I go to sleep.  The other night he started shuffling around when I was there so I sat down on a chair so not to disturb him.  It was fascinating just watching him scratching his ankles (ankle against ankle) rolling over, reaching up and grabbing the cot bar, rolling over, scratching his ear.... He was so active during that couple of minutes or so I was with him.

Blanket will end up anywhere by morning - certainly not where I put it!

MM What in the world did you use to not get stretch marks?  You are quite petite really (I think from previous posts) and twins........  Well done!

10/09/2007 at 21:26
Just catching up after a fab holiday in France so haven't really read any post properly. Will hopefully catch up properly over next couple of days. But just want to say CONGRATULATIONS Sarahbob - really great to hear from you & glad all seems to have gone well.  Anyway off to put another load in the washing machine - 10 days camping in 25 degree plus heat mmmmm lovely and festering ...
241 to 260 of 45,653 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.