Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

281 to 300 of 43,660 messages
18/09/2007 at 21:19

Is Kit 6 months yet? Is it worth trying some chicken or yoghurt?

He may just be wanting some more protein.

Amounts of food is never easy. My two have finally worked out how to tell me they are full or want more, which makes life easier. Otherwise I think they were having 6-8 cubes at lunch and 5-6 cubes at tea with baby rice around 6 months. Now at 11 months they share a small Klippa fresh pot of food with extra veggies as finger food, chunks of cheese, then fruit and yoghurt.

My Harry drinks little milk, he has 4oz in the morning in beaker and about 2oz in the afternoon in beaker. Then around 6oz at bedtime. But he has cows milk on cereal, yoghurts, cheese etc so I think he is OK. Joshie drinks about 4-5oz more milk a day.

19/09/2007 at 12:03

Sorry this is a bit rushed, I've not read back properly.

Janie I have heard that Fennel is very good for upset tummies. You can boil it and give babies to drink like water.

With regard to how much is enough, I go by his reaction. Once he's had enough he normally just shuts his mouth and won't take any more and when he's hungry he starts sucking his tongue.

Sorry this is a bit of a rant on child seats,  I bought a Britax Evolva 2-3 Isofit car seat 2 months ago for my 3 and a half year old.
I bought it becuase it was supposed to be one of the best. I also made sure he was the correct weight.

Normally we only go on short rides but last week he fell asleep in the car and his head just dropped forward. I kept having to stop to try and prop his head back up. In the end I just gave up and had to keep driving.  I rang Britax today and the lady said some people sleep this way and it was fine, and that as there is nothing wrong with it Mothercare would not take it back.  I am so angry but not sure what to do next.

Can any of you with older children who use high back boosters share your experiences please.  Is this how high back boosters generally are?
Should I just buy another seat and cut my losses?

19/09/2007 at 14:24

Tonia - I've got Britax Hi-Liners for my two boys (5.5 and 3.5) but both seats can be sort of angled so that the boys are tilted backwards a bit if I think they're going to fall asleep. However, if I don't angle them and they fall asleep, their heads often tip forward but usually I can just push their heads back and sort of rest it against the side 'wings' and they then stay up unless we have to brake suddenly.

Don't know the Evolva seat or how the Isofit system works so this may be no help at all but have you got the head bit at the right height? Hope you can sort something out to your satisfaction.

19/09/2007 at 14:31

Thanks Tabtri
It does have a recline function but but it's not much (compared to the Maxi Cosi Priori stage 2 seat I had)
I might take it off the isofix fitting to see if I can angle it a bit more.

19/09/2007 at 19:26

Tonia, we have a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix (obviously it's a first stage one as Kit's only 6 months) but we've found that he often falls asleep in it and drops his head forward.  The first few times he did this he looked so uncomfortable, sort of folded in half, that we stopped the car and pushed his head back into the seat.  But a few miles on and it had dropped forward again.  He seemed fine so we've ended up just leaving him if he does that - sounds awful but if he was really uncomfortable I figure he'd wake up and we can't keep stopping the car.  I don't think it's a fault with the seat, just the way they decide to sleep sometimes!

Thanks all for advice on amounts of food.  I think Kit is eating enough as he seems happy in himself - he just seems to like his solids so much I think he'd just keep going indefinitely unless I stopped him!  I spoke to the HV yesterday about it and she said that the jars of baby food constitute about a portion's worth and he's having about the equivalent of one of those, so won't worry too much.  He hadn't gained any weight when I had him weighed yesterday - in fact he registered a loss of 1oz - but they didn't seem remotely worried as apparently weight gain slows down dramatically at this stage and as long as he's happy, healthy and alert and eating well then no problem.  I put it down to the sheer volume of poo he's produced over the past week!  They also advised me not to have him weighed weekly any more as he won't gain that much weight on a weekly basis.

I had a nightmare day with him yesterday.  He just wasn't himself at all - cried constantly (which he never does) and seemed to be in pain.  I was in tears myself at one point as just didn't know what to do to console and pacify him.  I honestly put it down to the Heinz cereal - as soon as he ate it yesterday morning he was cranky and remained cranky for the rest of the day - horrendous nappies too.  Today gave him Organix banana porridge with a little pear puree and he's been like a different baby: happy and smiley all day; much more his usual self!  MM, thanks for the nappy rash cream info - have now bought some although as he's pooed less today and they've been much firmer his bottom looks a lot less sore.  Today I made a job-lot of sweet potato, but mashed it rather than pureeing.  Mixed it with some carrot that I'd pureed less smoothly and he was fine with it - also tried mashed banana this afternoon and he loved that too.  The blender's days are numbered!

Haven't started him on protein yet - he's getting on for 7 months and had planned to start chicken and lentils this week, but with the tummy issues decided to postpone it until next week.  How soon should dairy products be introduced?  Would be nice to give him cheesy sauces and yoghurt, as more calorie-rich than vegetables so would probably fill him up a bit more.  Am wary of introducing too many new things at once though.

Am having to take it a bit carefully running-wise.  I can feel a recurrence of the hamstring insertion injury I got while training for FLM last year, and I don't want to make it worse.  Had to have physio last time and was agony, so am keen to avoid a repeat of that experience!  I knew my lack of stretching would backfire in the end - guess what I'll be doing tonight?! 

19/09/2007 at 19:48

Hi all!

Haven't posted here before but some of you will probably recognise me from the Pregnant Runners' Club.  Great to see the old faces and some new ones as well.

Jacob is now 14 months old, running around and saying his first words (tractor, cow, duck - how can you tell we live in the country!) and is an absolute star.

Janie Tri - I think you live in the Newport area?  If so, I really recommend you try to get to see Carol Walton who is at the Caerphilly Birthing Centre on Mondays and Fridays.  Phone first to check she is in if you are planning to go on a Monday / Friday.  She will almost certainly tell you that the problems you are having with reflux and weight gain are due to attachment - and will show you how to attach babe so that he gets a good mouthful of breast tissue and therefore stimulates the ducts to get the hindmilk.  Apparently, too much foremilk can make babies sicky... The hindmilk is also higher in fat so it helps weight gain.  Apparently... I spent a LONG time seeing Carol and unfortunately I never mastered it.  But I know so many people whose babies' lives were literally transformed by seeing her.  If I'm right and you are in Newport, then I also know the lady who is the b/feeding 'guru' at LLL (they meet in Rogerstone on a Fri morning).  She is also great - very different from Carol; much more 'earthly' and less proscriptive.  See both if you can - they have different attitudes but both really want to help.

For those of you who haven't already endured my tale on the pregnant runners' site, I fed Jacob on the breast till he was 3 months enduring agonies at every feed.  Then I cracked (had PND) and expressed my milk.  I thought I'd just express until my milk ran out - imagined that would be just a few weeks.  But I was still expressing 9 months later!  I finally stopped when he was 1.  I NEVER want to see a breast pump EVER again.  But, apart from a couple of formula feeds when I had d+v for a week (!) when he was 4 months old (and I couldn't actually even stand by the end of the week let alone express milk), he had breast milk for a year...

My PND is under control with a low dose of citalopram - came off the a/d's briefly in May but had to go back on them again pretty swiftly.  But Jacob is a joy to be with - never ever thought I'd say that! 

As for my running (this *is* a running website after all), I do a lot lot less than I used to - but try to get out 4 or 5 times a week for 30 mins to an hour.  I enjoy being out - shame we are now heading into grimmer weather again!

19/09/2007 at 22:44

Janie - I thought of a couple of things which may or may not be helpful - firstly, are you letting him feed for long enough at a time to get a good lot of hindmilk? I've found with Eddie and my other 2 that sometimes a feed will last for ages, especially towards the end of the day. Also, are you getting enough rest / hydration / nutrition so that your milk supply is at its optimum? Sorry if you've thought of these things already - and I know it's probably more than just a breastfeeding issue. Hope Ted gets some relief soon - sounds like a great idea to be seeing the LLL lady.

Mrs O - I had a similar problems with my 2nd baby and found this cup really good when I was worrying about him not getting any fluid during the day when I went back to work - http://www.nctsales.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=750 . However, they're not mess-free at all!  Also, once I'd gone back to work he started taking expressed milk and formula from a bottle after a few weeks - it felt like ages but he didn't seem to suffer at all nutritionally and I think made up for it with water in the day and big breastfeeds morning and evening. Lots of cheese, yoghurt etc. for calcium too. I'm sure you will manage to sort it out.

Minks - I think dairy is ok from 6 months?  Mind you , I do need to check all the current weaning guidelines as they seem to change quite quickly - when I had DD (11.5 yrs ago!) they recommended weaning at 4 months and giving peanut butter quite early on for protein!

Eddie and I had our first night out last night - we went to a friend's house for a get-together, and Eddie slept the whole evening without waking once. At home he usually feeds solidly for at least an hour in the evening - but not last night! No after-effects, in fact he's been very settled today, which is lucky as we're out again tomorrow night.

Have now done a week of run-walking (and hated the walking bits!) - am moving on to gentle continuous running this week - hurrah! I'm trying to be very careful not to overdo things - but I'm enjoying getting out so much, even though it's only for 25 mins at the moment.

20/09/2007 at 07:57

Morning all!

Sorry for lack of chat, but husband's computer is caput and he's using mine for the next couple of weeks until it's fixed, so no chance to catch up on all your posts...and you've all been so chatty!!

I thought I'd quickly fill you in on our hols. I can't say I had the most relaxing time, I felt totally 'en guard' - our travelling companions have a four year old girl and a one year old boy and the one year old is BIG...and likes to launch himself at Hector either for a 'kiss' (ie headbutt) or to grab his hand or wrist and squeeze it until Hector's bottom lip prodrudes. Oh what fun I had trying to be diplomatic and not swipe the darn kid away! You quickly realise how fast parents forget what it's like to have your first 11 week old baby and feel a bit protective...Anyway, the other joys of our companions were their ability to empty a cafe/bar/restaurant within five minutes of arriving!

Ok, enough moaning. Croatia was quite beautiful (a lot like Greece I thought, with lovely islands and clear water) and I managed a few lovely swims...so gorgeous to stretch out and feel active again  

We have got the bug - Hector is a great little traveller, sleeping a lot of the time and getting LOADS of attention from everyone we meet, so we're off to Venice in a couple of weeks as well! This is for a big art exhibition we go to every other year, so we'll see what he makes of wandering around for hours and hours looking at art...I'm hoping he'll like it!

Ok, sorry it's so brief and I can't respond to your posts, but I will try and read back properly when I can.

Take care all.

A xx

PS Hector is drooling like a puppy at the moment and chomping on his hands all the time - is this a teething sign? Bit early though isn't it? Any ideas?!

20/09/2007 at 09:29

AP, Kit started drooling a lot and chewing his hands from quite early on too, but didn't actually cut any teeth until a week before he turned 6 months.  Possibly the teeth can be active in the gums for quite a while before they actually start to come through - but Hector may get teeth early, you never know.  Hubby apparently had two teeth at 9 weeks so anything's possible ...

Janie, hope you find the LLL meeting helpful and manage to get Ted's sickiness under control.  For something that's supposed to be 'natural', breastfeeding is actually incredibly hard to get the hang of.  I'm afraid I didn't persevere at all and wimped out after only a week.  Every feed was agony and I just wasn't enjoying it.  I do wish there wasn't such pressure these days to breastfeed, and to feel OK about it if you can't/decide not to.  Apparently there are plans for a breast milk 'bank' so that breastfeeding women can 'donate' milk to be used by women who can't breastfeed for whatever reason.  TBH, I would rather use formula than someone else's breastmilk (who knows what kind of diet they have?) and I really can't get my head around the idea of wet nurses - why would anyone want their baby on another woman's boob?

I think from your posts I might be being overly cautious with weaning - maybe I should just go for it and get him onto dairy, meat etc. a.s.a.p.  Think I'm just afraid of upsetting his tummy but he's going to have to try these things sooner or later!

Welcome to CM - long time, no 'see'!  Glad you're enjoying life with Jacob - is he really 14 months???  Sorry to hear you're still coping with PND, but brilliant that you're on top of it and managing to get some running in to boot! 

20/09/2007 at 09:44

Hi Minks. I would get him onto protein asap, as he needs the iron. Babies iron stores rapidly depreciate after 6 months, so they need food to replace it. Chicken will be fine for him and won't upset him, start with chicken and yoghurt which pretty safe then try fish and cheese, which are the worry proteins. Am sure he will be fine. I delayed my two on protein but then they were iron supplements being prem anyway. Once he is established on those then you can try red meat. I wouldn't leave it too much longer and it will help with sleep etc.

Lovely to hear from you again CM. I had no idea you had PND. Am so glad you are coping well with it, and sounds like Jacob is a bundle of joy. Can't believe you expressed for 9 months, amazing!

20/09/2007 at 12:48

A.P glad to see the protective instinct overrides normal beaviour with others too.  My nephew was over last Fri, all was going fine until he had to go home when he started just pushing James over.  James was not bothered by this so he tried dragging him, again James was not bothered.  I intervined when cousin pushed James over and put his fist into James'' neck.  Unfortunately I acted so quickly I think I just pushed him off James as I went to pick James up.

Funny how when it is not your own you act much more rationally (I work in a school!).

CM so impressed that you expressed for 9 months and I get fed up about trying to express for James' cereal. 

James is a bit poorly now.  He had a cold last week, which moved onto his chest at the weekend.  On Monday the doctor gave him an antibiotic which I phoned about yesterday as he had bad diarroea and was sick.  Today he has changed to a different one.  Fingers crossed. 

20/09/2007 at 13:22

minks - if your little one likes veg and rice, try chicken risotto.  jacob loved it (and still does) and you can make it for all of you with lo / no-salt stock.  i used to stir mango in it to start off with to sweeten it up for jacob (used mango like you use pear, i think).

also lamb is meant to be quite safe - low allergen, i think. 

janie tri - katrina is fab.  very down to earth, although perhaps a bit hippy in some of her ideas.  i think this is common to a lot of the LLL though.  a lot of them home-school and still b/feed at 5 etc... not that there is anything wrong with that at all, but they are very earth-mothery.  i felt a bit of a fraud when i got out fragance-free wipes to change jacob's nappy when i was there, because they all used ones they had made themselves, or compostable / recyclable ones!

katrina was also 'trained' by carol (who works at caerphilly). i wouldn't write off caerphilly just because you have bad memories.  carol is an absolute genius when it comes to b/feeding - although it didn't work for me, but that prob had more to do with my PND than anything else.  carol will also see people at the gwent if you really can't face caerphilly.  i would really recommend trying to see both, but see how you get on with katrina first. 

my husband has had to go and fetch jacob from nursery today because he's unwell.  not much of a surprise as i have had tonsillitis this week and am on penicillin.  just hope he doesn't have it!

21/09/2007 at 09:24

Janie I was fed on carnation!!!! Did it do me any harm, I don't think so, but people may beg to differ!!!

I think b/f is great if you can do it. I was very lucky with my two as they latched on and were guzzlers and we found it very easy. I did use a breast feeding cousellor though as I was using nipple shields when we left hospital as the boys mouths were so tiny, she was great and really helped me, but I know others who have found them not so great.

I'm with you janie. I use non-organic motherease washable nappies, but I use tesco wipes, mainly cos I had two pukers, but do use muslin cloths too. I do use washable liners though as found the paper ones too pricey, but use paper when boys have runny bums! I use dispoables when we go away for the weekend though.

Let us know how you get on Minks am sure Kit will love it.

My two were very sick last night. Not sure if it was pasta I made them or whether they had tummy bug. Milk and weetabix seems ok so far this morning. Fingers crossed. Poor loves both have stinking colds too as do I.

21/09/2007 at 10:32

Sounds like lots of colds and general ickiness around at the moment - hope all who are poorly feel better soon, mums and babies!

Right, Kit is getting chicken as of next week!  Mum roasted a chicken the other night as my brother was going round for dinner, and has saved me the carcass to make stock.  Is it possible to buy low or no-salt stock?  Have looked at both fresh stock and stock cubes in the supermarket but all have very high salt content.  Am keen to make risottos and other things which require stock, but not so keen to have to boil up a chicken carcass each time!  Gave Kit a little chicken from my sandwich yesterday lunchtime, which he ate with enthusiasm so think he'll be fine.  Am not too concerned about his iron stores (although I do know that the iron they're born with is pretty much used up by 6 months) as there's loads in his formula, and his baby rice and porridge are also fortified with iron.  Will start with chicken and yoghurt as MM suggests.

I'm afraid I use disposable nappies and I do also use wipes.  We don't have a tumble dryer and also have a small house, and I couldn't face the thought of nappies draped everywhere to dry.  As it is we have to put our clothes airer in the lounge now - it used to be in the spare room but that's now Kit's bedroom!  Luckily Kit isn't a puker and I get away with muslin cloths for pretty much everything.  Bought stacks of them at the beginning and they are just invaluable.

Running is going well, have been a bit careful the last couple of days as could feel a recurrence of the hamstring tear I did while training for FLM 2006, but so far it seems to be OK with a combination of keeping my pace down (always a challenge for me!) and actually making myself stretch after each run.  My biggest problem at the moment is some kind of elbow strain.  No idea what I've done or how I've done it, but the outside of my elbow joint feels bruised, and straightening my arm and taking any weight on it is agony.  Also any pressure I apply with my right hand hurts like hell - couldn't turn the bathroom door handle with my right hand this morning.  Have taken some ibuprofen but doesn't seem to have helped much.  Have probably lifted something too heavy or lifted awkwardly but hope it improves soon as a bit of a nuisance when I need to lift Kit, the buggy, the carseat etc ...

JT, let us know how you get on with Katrina - all sounds a little hippy-dippy but of course we must keep an open mind about these things! 

21/09/2007 at 11:30

AP - good to hear from you again! Glad you enjoyed the holiday (despite over enthusiasitc toddlers!) and good to hear about your travel plans.

Minks - Kallo and Marigold both do low-salt stock which is pretty good, I've found - but TBH at the start you could just use water / homemade vegetable stock (just boil some carrots, leek, celery etc in water with herbs if necessary) for things like risotto. Also, when I start using stock in weaning food,  I dilute  it to around half strength, so the salt content is even lower.  I found using herbs and onion, garlic etc. in small quantities can make weaning food really tasty without adding loads of salt in. Good to hear your running is going well - hmm, stretching - I think I need to start doing some of that! Hope your elbow starts to feel better soon.

Right - supposed to be trying to have a snooze now as have been up since 5.30 and I'm driving down to my parents with the children tonight as DH is away this weekend. Have a good weekend everyone.

21/09/2007 at 13:59

Minks - Hope Kit likes the chicken.  I was not very good with home cooking, mine never liked anything I cooked after all the effor I put in!
In the end I gave up and went for the jars (mostly HIPP) which they seemed to like.

JT- Hope you get some good advice and the BF get's better & easier.

Talking about snoozing I thought I'd share my weekends exploits.  For a change it had nothing to do with babies, hubby or exercise even, just peace and tranquility.  I went to Champneys Spa for a day with a friend,  MIL and hubby were looking after the kids.
It cost me £50 for the day including lunch and use of all facilities.  It was generaly nice and relaxing but I found it funny that the best part of the day was when I fell asleep after lunch for about 2 hours! I can't remember when last I had uninterupted sleep, it was bliss. Have a good weekend everyone xxx

21/09/2007 at 20:15

The thought of 2 days in bed sounds lovely... not sure the reality would be as good though!  Hope the expressing works and the Hv is ok...she should respect that as a mum you need to go with your instincts.  It surprises me as in my experiance medical peeps have been so overcautious... I had to take Milla to the doc yesturday cos she had a blocked nose at her 8 week check!

Just wondering how often youall get baby weighed... i havnt for 2 weeks and was thinking once a month would be ok (providing I felt all was ok) but wondering now if I should go more often?

Ditto to the dribbling and hands in mouth!

Having a wake or not to wake the other baby at night dilemma... 1 woke at 2 30 last night and try as I might I couldnt rouse the other enough to feed.... she went on to sleep til 4 30 which was great but meant i had to get up twice in the night and twice early morning.  The more i think about it, when I have trouble settling one down after a night feed it is usually the one I have woken.  Cant wait til they go right through.... for some reason feeling really tired lately even though the girls are going 4 - 6 hours at a stretch most nights, think I might need to get R to do a night with expressed bottles although not at all sure he would wake up and I am so tuned in I would wake anyway and need to express to stop my boobs exploding!

21/09/2007 at 21:55

JT, glad you got on OK at LLL and it wasn't TOO "earth-motherish"!  I have to say that seeing older children breastfeeding makes me feel a bit peculiar but each to their own, I guess.  I watched a TV programme about extended breastfeeding once and there was an 11-year-old still wanting "booby" which I couldn't quite get my head around!  Sounds like you had some reasonable advice - hope you find some of it useful and it helps.  Anything to get Ted off the Gaviscon must be worth a try.

Hetty, I've been taking Kit to be weighed weekly since he was born.  The HV has said on a number of occasions that it's not necessary but it's always given me peace of mind to know he's been following his centile line and gaining weight steadily.  However, now he's nearly 7 months the weight gain has really slowed (perfectly normal, I'm assured) to only 2-3oz a week, if that.  This week he showed a loss of 1oz but the HV said he just hadn't gained, and they didn't look on it as weight loss as it could just be the difference between a full bowel or tummy last week and not this week.  In the early days I needed the reassurance of knowing that he was putting on weight therefore I must be doing something right - now I think I feel confident enough about my mothering skills to know that he's healthy, happy and content, and I think I'd know instinctively if there was a problem, so will probably now only get him weighed once a month or so.  As I'm going back to work in just over a week (aargh) it's about the right time anyway as I don't want to waste the days I have with him taking him to the clinic.

It's funny how they seem to sense when you're in a hurry and play up.  I was due at a friend's at 11:30 this morning - in theory straight after Kit's "lunch" which is currently at about 11:15am (friend lives a couple of minutes' walk away).  I prepared sweet potato and parsnip, which he's had loads of times before, but mixed in a small amount of pureed runner beans which he's never tried.  He completely refused to eat it after tasting the first mouthful (and he NEVER refuses food!)  Tried mixing in some pear but he wasn't fooled.  Eventually I made up 3tsp of baby rice with some formula and stirred the veg mixture into it and he finally decided to eat it - was 20 minutes late at my friend's!  Obviously filled him up though as he usually takes a full bottle at about 2:30pm and only took 5oz today.  Has only done 3 pooey nappies today which was great after the last few days - but the one he did just before his tea was a total explosion!  Soaked through his trousers and all down my top (I was holding him at the time!) and was a nightmare trying to get his bodysuit off without getting poo all over him.  It's more solid now too so was just dropping off in lumps all over the place - revolting!  It's even harder now because as soon as I undo his nappy he goes straight for his willy so have to try to keep his hands away until I've cleaned his bottom - the joys of boys!

22/09/2007 at 10:13

Minks I use the kallo low salt stock cubes. Really don't have the time to make stock, it seems fine and we now use it for everything.

glad the breast feeding clinic was ok janie and useful. Fingers crossed it all gets better now sickiness wise.

Hetty I always used to wake the other baby regardless, I often wondered whether Harry would have slept through from 10 weeks, but I wasn't gonna take the risk!

Thought my two were out of the woods cold and tummy wise today until Harry threw up his ready brek and banana all over me. Lovely! Hubbie has man flu too, great weekend ahead ;o) I am ill too, but someone has to get on with it hey!!

Went shopping with them yesterday they were so well behaved, very proud of them, got some lovely clothes for them too.

Was supposed to race a 10k tomorrow but too ill for that really. Shame, but at least it means hopefully will be ok for my half in 3 weeks time.

22/09/2007 at 11:18

I haven't had my two weighed since their 8 month check, they are now 11 months.

I guess it was roughly monthly before that. Having them weighed around a year as they will then correct them to the year, so it will look like they have lost weight on their charts.

281 to 300 of 43,660 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.