Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

301 to 320 of 45,499 messages
19/09/2007 at 19:48

Hi all!

Haven't posted here before but some of you will probably recognise me from the Pregnant Runners' Club.  Great to see the old faces and some new ones as well.

Jacob is now 14 months old, running around and saying his first words (tractor, cow, duck - how can you tell we live in the country!) and is an absolute star.

Janie Tri - I think you live in the Newport area?  If so, I really recommend you try to get to see Carol Walton who is at the Caerphilly Birthing Centre on Mondays and Fridays.  Phone first to check she is in if you are planning to go on a Monday / Friday.  She will almost certainly tell you that the problems you are having with reflux and weight gain are due to attachment - and will show you how to attach babe so that he gets a good mouthful of breast tissue and therefore stimulates the ducts to get the hindmilk.  Apparently, too much foremilk can make babies sicky... The hindmilk is also higher in fat so it helps weight gain.  Apparently... I spent a LONG time seeing Carol and unfortunately I never mastered it.  But I know so many people whose babies' lives were literally transformed by seeing her.  If I'm right and you are in Newport, then I also know the lady who is the b/feeding 'guru' at LLL (they meet in Rogerstone on a Fri morning).  She is also great - very different from Carol; much more 'earthly' and less proscriptive.  See both if you can - they have different attitudes but both really want to help.

For those of you who haven't already endured my tale on the pregnant runners' site, I fed Jacob on the breast till he was 3 months enduring agonies at every feed.  Then I cracked (had PND) and expressed my milk.  I thought I'd just express until my milk ran out - imagined that would be just a few weeks.  But I was still expressing 9 months later!  I finally stopped when he was 1.  I NEVER want to see a breast pump EVER again.  But, apart from a couple of formula feeds when I had d+v for a week (!) when he was 4 months old (and I couldn't actually even stand by the end of the week let alone express milk), he had breast milk for a year...

My PND is under control with a low dose of citalopram - came off the a/d's briefly in May but had to go back on them again pretty swiftly.  But Jacob is a joy to be with - never ever thought I'd say that! 

As for my running (this *is* a running website after all), I do a lot lot less than I used to - but try to get out 4 or 5 times a week for 30 mins to an hour.  I enjoy being out - shame we are now heading into grimmer weather again!

19/09/2007 at 22:44

Janie - I thought of a couple of things which may or may not be helpful - firstly, are you letting him feed for long enough at a time to get a good lot of hindmilk? I've found with Eddie and my other 2 that sometimes a feed will last for ages, especially towards the end of the day. Also, are you getting enough rest / hydration / nutrition so that your milk supply is at its optimum? Sorry if you've thought of these things already - and I know it's probably more than just a breastfeeding issue. Hope Ted gets some relief soon - sounds like a great idea to be seeing the LLL lady.

Mrs O - I had a similar problems with my 2nd baby and found this cup really good when I was worrying about him not getting any fluid during the day when I went back to work - http://www.nctsales.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=750 . However, they're not mess-free at all!  Also, once I'd gone back to work he started taking expressed milk and formula from a bottle after a few weeks - it felt like ages but he didn't seem to suffer at all nutritionally and I think made up for it with water in the day and big breastfeeds morning and evening. Lots of cheese, yoghurt etc. for calcium too. I'm sure you will manage to sort it out.

Minks - I think dairy is ok from 6 months?  Mind you , I do need to check all the current weaning guidelines as they seem to change quite quickly - when I had DD (11.5 yrs ago!) they recommended weaning at 4 months and giving peanut butter quite early on for protein!

Eddie and I had our first night out last night - we went to a friend's house for a get-together, and Eddie slept the whole evening without waking once. At home he usually feeds solidly for at least an hour in the evening - but not last night! No after-effects, in fact he's been very settled today, which is lucky as we're out again tomorrow night.

Have now done a week of run-walking (and hated the walking bits!) - am moving on to gentle continuous running this week - hurrah! I'm trying to be very careful not to overdo things - but I'm enjoying getting out so much, even though it's only for 25 mins at the moment.

20/09/2007 at 07:57

Morning all!

Sorry for lack of chat, but husband's computer is caput and he's using mine for the next couple of weeks until it's fixed, so no chance to catch up on all your posts...and you've all been so chatty!!

I thought I'd quickly fill you in on our hols. I can't say I had the most relaxing time, I felt totally 'en guard' - our travelling companions have a four year old girl and a one year old boy and the one year old is BIG...and likes to launch himself at Hector either for a 'kiss' (ie headbutt) or to grab his hand or wrist and squeeze it until Hector's bottom lip prodrudes. Oh what fun I had trying to be diplomatic and not swipe the darn kid away! You quickly realise how fast parents forget what it's like to have your first 11 week old baby and feel a bit protective...Anyway, the other joys of our companions were their ability to empty a cafe/bar/restaurant within five minutes of arriving!

Ok, enough moaning. Croatia was quite beautiful (a lot like Greece I thought, with lovely islands and clear water) and I managed a few lovely swims...so gorgeous to stretch out and feel active again  

We have got the bug - Hector is a great little traveller, sleeping a lot of the time and getting LOADS of attention from everyone we meet, so we're off to Venice in a couple of weeks as well! This is for a big art exhibition we go to every other year, so we'll see what he makes of wandering around for hours and hours looking at art...I'm hoping he'll like it!

Ok, sorry it's so brief and I can't respond to your posts, but I will try and read back properly when I can.

Take care all.

A xx

PS Hector is drooling like a puppy at the moment and chomping on his hands all the time - is this a teething sign? Bit early though isn't it? Any ideas?!

20/09/2007 at 09:29

AP, Kit started drooling a lot and chewing his hands from quite early on too, but didn't actually cut any teeth until a week before he turned 6 months.  Possibly the teeth can be active in the gums for quite a while before they actually start to come through - but Hector may get teeth early, you never know.  Hubby apparently had two teeth at 9 weeks so anything's possible ...

Janie, hope you find the LLL meeting helpful and manage to get Ted's sickiness under control.  For something that's supposed to be 'natural', breastfeeding is actually incredibly hard to get the hang of.  I'm afraid I didn't persevere at all and wimped out after only a week.  Every feed was agony and I just wasn't enjoying it.  I do wish there wasn't such pressure these days to breastfeed, and to feel OK about it if you can't/decide not to.  Apparently there are plans for a breast milk 'bank' so that breastfeeding women can 'donate' milk to be used by women who can't breastfeed for whatever reason.  TBH, I would rather use formula than someone else's breastmilk (who knows what kind of diet they have?) and I really can't get my head around the idea of wet nurses - why would anyone want their baby on another woman's boob?

I think from your posts I might be being overly cautious with weaning - maybe I should just go for it and get him onto dairy, meat etc. a.s.a.p.  Think I'm just afraid of upsetting his tummy but he's going to have to try these things sooner or later!

Welcome to CM - long time, no 'see'!  Glad you're enjoying life with Jacob - is he really 14 months???  Sorry to hear you're still coping with PND, but brilliant that you're on top of it and managing to get some running in to boot! 

20/09/2007 at 09:44

Hi Minks. I would get him onto protein asap, as he needs the iron. Babies iron stores rapidly depreciate after 6 months, so they need food to replace it. Chicken will be fine for him and won't upset him, start with chicken and yoghurt which pretty safe then try fish and cheese, which are the worry proteins. Am sure he will be fine. I delayed my two on protein but then they were iron supplements being prem anyway. Once he is established on those then you can try red meat. I wouldn't leave it too much longer and it will help with sleep etc.

Lovely to hear from you again CM. I had no idea you had PND. Am so glad you are coping well with it, and sounds like Jacob is a bundle of joy. Can't believe you expressed for 9 months, amazing!

20/09/2007 at 12:48

A.P glad to see the protective instinct overrides normal beaviour with others too.  My nephew was over last Fri, all was going fine until he had to go home when he started just pushing James over.  James was not bothered by this so he tried dragging him, again James was not bothered.  I intervined when cousin pushed James over and put his fist into James'' neck.  Unfortunately I acted so quickly I think I just pushed him off James as I went to pick James up.

Funny how when it is not your own you act much more rationally (I work in a school!).

CM so impressed that you expressed for 9 months and I get fed up about trying to express for James' cereal. 

James is a bit poorly now.  He had a cold last week, which moved onto his chest at the weekend.  On Monday the doctor gave him an antibiotic which I phoned about yesterday as he had bad diarroea and was sick.  Today he has changed to a different one.  Fingers crossed. 

20/09/2007 at 13:22

minks - if your little one likes veg and rice, try chicken risotto.  jacob loved it (and still does) and you can make it for all of you with lo / no-salt stock.  i used to stir mango in it to start off with to sweeten it up for jacob (used mango like you use pear, i think).

also lamb is meant to be quite safe - low allergen, i think. 

janie tri - katrina is fab.  very down to earth, although perhaps a bit hippy in some of her ideas.  i think this is common to a lot of the LLL though.  a lot of them home-school and still b/feed at 5 etc... not that there is anything wrong with that at all, but they are very earth-mothery.  i felt a bit of a fraud when i got out fragance-free wipes to change jacob's nappy when i was there, because they all used ones they had made themselves, or compostable / recyclable ones!

katrina was also 'trained' by carol (who works at caerphilly). i wouldn't write off caerphilly just because you have bad memories.  carol is an absolute genius when it comes to b/feeding - although it didn't work for me, but that prob had more to do with my PND than anything else.  carol will also see people at the gwent if you really can't face caerphilly.  i would really recommend trying to see both, but see how you get on with katrina first. 

my husband has had to go and fetch jacob from nursery today because he's unwell.  not much of a surprise as i have had tonsillitis this week and am on penicillin.  just hope he doesn't have it!

20/09/2007 at 19:57

Finally, enough peace to sit down and catch up. Hubbie out at Scouts and both kids in bed and total silence.  It's the silence bit I really enjoy as Joshua does not stop talking all day. He is questioning everything at the moment - 'what is that', 'what is this', what are you doing', 'mummy TALK to me'!!!  That last bit is when I've lost the plot and am ignoring him - I don't win either way.

Minks - I can remember weaning Joshua and asking all the questions you are, and worrying about everything I gave him. Like a lot of things, we always hear worse case scenarios and sometimes forget that actually our own judgement is pretty sound. This time around with Scarlett I am much more chilled about the whole thing. Hadn't quite got to protein, but did roast chicken tonight and have got loads spare so she's getting some of that with her veg tomorrow. I still never know re portion size but as long as she seems happy it must be OK. If it's any guide she is currently having about 7oz milk (am) + a cube of fruit and large tbspn of organix fig porridge, 5-6oz milk (lunchtime) + 5 cubes veg etc, 6oz milk (afternoon) & 7oz milk + 5 tbspns rice & fruit in evening. Have so far failed to get any water into her, but Joshua was exactly the same and would only take small amounts for ages. Never seemed to bother him tho'.  So I'd second MM & co and just go for it. You'll soon know what doesn't work (Heinz breakfast as an example). I seem to remember with J that once he was on 'normal' food it seemed to get a lot less stressful!

AP - Re teething, Joshua started at six months & didn't get any teeth until his first birthday when four came together. Six months of red raw cheeks, drooling & chewing. Scarlett is now doing the same so who knows when her teeth will arrive.  Your holiday destination sounds fab & you're right, travelling with kids at this age is generally great. We took J to Alabama US when he was four months old and he breezed through 14 hours of plane travel & various time zones - it was his parents who were zombies!!

20/09/2007 at 19:58

yep, too long ...

CM(decaf) I remember your postings very early on in my pregancy, good to hear from you & glad you are winning the battle with PND. I had it with no. 1 but managed to get through on counselling from my health visitor who was a star.  With no. 2 it is definitely there again, but I seem to be managing it - again great health visitor and v understanding husband. I do dread the days when I get out of bed and feel like I am disappearing into a black hole (best way to describe how I feel on those days!!). Thankfully I have a mum who also suffered from it with both pregnancies so she is great for support etc. Also good that it is talked about more so awareness is greater.

Fitness-wise - completed another 12km club run last night and pleased that legs (and back more importantly) feel fine today. Have got my first ever duathlon on Saturday - 5km trail run - 12km mountain bike ride - 3km trail run. Haven't trained specifically for it so am not expecting any great time or anything. Just really looking forward to experience.

Took Joshua rock-climbing on Sunday for the first time and he loved it! Scarlett rolled around at the bottom and ate lots of sand!!!  She has just perfected the art of rolling onto front and back again, but gets bored of trying to roll back so then she just lies there and cries until you go and retrieve her. This means I get even less done as she now won't just lie there and entertain herself when I'm busy. Hey ho. 

JT - I sooo hope you get the advice and help you need re b/feeding. You are doing fantastically considering the challenges you have. Definitely agree with others re too much foremilk as Joshua was VERY colicy and used to projectile regularly when he was fed because he would drown in foremilk. Had the same problem with Scarlett but only stuck out the feeding for six weeks this time.  Agree with Minks re the milk-banks tho' and also re wet-nursing too. Although I struggled with b/feeding, I did treasure those moments of closeness and couldn't imagine my children on someone elses boob!

I guess I had better go now and it will probably chuck me out as my post is too long!

21/09/2007 at 09:24

Janie I was fed on carnation!!!! Did it do me any harm, I don't think so, but people may beg to differ!!!

I think b/f is great if you can do it. I was very lucky with my two as they latched on and were guzzlers and we found it very easy. I did use a breast feeding cousellor though as I was using nipple shields when we left hospital as the boys mouths were so tiny, she was great and really helped me, but I know others who have found them not so great.

I'm with you janie. I use non-organic motherease washable nappies, but I use tesco wipes, mainly cos I had two pukers, but do use muslin cloths too. I do use washable liners though as found the paper ones too pricey, but use paper when boys have runny bums! I use dispoables when we go away for the weekend though.

Let us know how you get on Minks am sure Kit will love it.

My two were very sick last night. Not sure if it was pasta I made them or whether they had tummy bug. Milk and weetabix seems ok so far this morning. Fingers crossed. Poor loves both have stinking colds too as do I.

21/09/2007 at 10:32

Sounds like lots of colds and general ickiness around at the moment - hope all who are poorly feel better soon, mums and babies!

Right, Kit is getting chicken as of next week!  Mum roasted a chicken the other night as my brother was going round for dinner, and has saved me the carcass to make stock.  Is it possible to buy low or no-salt stock?  Have looked at both fresh stock and stock cubes in the supermarket but all have very high salt content.  Am keen to make risottos and other things which require stock, but not so keen to have to boil up a chicken carcass each time!  Gave Kit a little chicken from my sandwich yesterday lunchtime, which he ate with enthusiasm so think he'll be fine.  Am not too concerned about his iron stores (although I do know that the iron they're born with is pretty much used up by 6 months) as there's loads in his formula, and his baby rice and porridge are also fortified with iron.  Will start with chicken and yoghurt as MM suggests.

I'm afraid I use disposable nappies and I do also use wipes.  We don't have a tumble dryer and also have a small house, and I couldn't face the thought of nappies draped everywhere to dry.  As it is we have to put our clothes airer in the lounge now - it used to be in the spare room but that's now Kit's bedroom!  Luckily Kit isn't a puker and I get away with muslin cloths for pretty much everything.  Bought stacks of them at the beginning and they are just invaluable.

Running is going well, have been a bit careful the last couple of days as could feel a recurrence of the hamstring tear I did while training for FLM 2006, but so far it seems to be OK with a combination of keeping my pace down (always a challenge for me!) and actually making myself stretch after each run.  My biggest problem at the moment is some kind of elbow strain.  No idea what I've done or how I've done it, but the outside of my elbow joint feels bruised, and straightening my arm and taking any weight on it is agony.  Also any pressure I apply with my right hand hurts like hell - couldn't turn the bathroom door handle with my right hand this morning.  Have taken some ibuprofen but doesn't seem to have helped much.  Have probably lifted something too heavy or lifted awkwardly but hope it improves soon as a bit of a nuisance when I need to lift Kit, the buggy, the carseat etc ...

JT, let us know how you get on with Katrina - all sounds a little hippy-dippy but of course we must keep an open mind about these things! 

21/09/2007 at 11:30

AP - good to hear from you again! Glad you enjoyed the holiday (despite over enthusiasitc toddlers!) and good to hear about your travel plans.

Minks - Kallo and Marigold both do low-salt stock which is pretty good, I've found - but TBH at the start you could just use water / homemade vegetable stock (just boil some carrots, leek, celery etc in water with herbs if necessary) for things like risotto. Also, when I start using stock in weaning food,  I dilute  it to around half strength, so the salt content is even lower.  I found using herbs and onion, garlic etc. in small quantities can make weaning food really tasty without adding loads of salt in. Good to hear your running is going well - hmm, stretching - I think I need to start doing some of that! Hope your elbow starts to feel better soon.

Right - supposed to be trying to have a snooze now as have been up since 5.30 and I'm driving down to my parents with the children tonight as DH is away this weekend. Have a good weekend everyone.

21/09/2007 at 13:59

Minks - Hope Kit likes the chicken.  I was not very good with home cooking, mine never liked anything I cooked after all the effor I put in!
In the end I gave up and went for the jars (mostly HIPP) which they seemed to like.

JT- Hope you get some good advice and the BF get's better & easier.

Talking about snoozing I thought I'd share my weekends exploits.  For a change it had nothing to do with babies, hubby or exercise even, just peace and tranquility.  I went to Champneys Spa for a day with a friend,  MIL and hubby were looking after the kids.
It cost me £50 for the day including lunch and use of all facilities.  It was generaly nice and relaxing but I found it funny that the best part of the day was when I fell asleep after lunch for about 2 hours! I can't remember when last I had uninterupted sleep, it was bliss. Have a good weekend everyone xxx

21/09/2007 at 20:15

The thought of 2 days in bed sounds lovely... not sure the reality would be as good though!  Hope the expressing works and the Hv is ok...she should respect that as a mum you need to go with your instincts.  It surprises me as in my experiance medical peeps have been so overcautious... I had to take Milla to the doc yesturday cos she had a blocked nose at her 8 week check!

Just wondering how often youall get baby weighed... i havnt for 2 weeks and was thinking once a month would be ok (providing I felt all was ok) but wondering now if I should go more often?

Ditto to the dribbling and hands in mouth!

Having a wake or not to wake the other baby at night dilemma... 1 woke at 2 30 last night and try as I might I couldnt rouse the other enough to feed.... she went on to sleep til 4 30 which was great but meant i had to get up twice in the night and twice early morning.  The more i think about it, when I have trouble settling one down after a night feed it is usually the one I have woken.  Cant wait til they go right through.... for some reason feeling really tired lately even though the girls are going 4 - 6 hours at a stretch most nights, think I might need to get R to do a night with expressed bottles although not at all sure he would wake up and I am so tuned in I would wake anyway and need to express to stop my boobs exploding!

21/09/2007 at 21:55

JT, glad you got on OK at LLL and it wasn't TOO "earth-motherish"!  I have to say that seeing older children breastfeeding makes me feel a bit peculiar but each to their own, I guess.  I watched a TV programme about extended breastfeeding once and there was an 11-year-old still wanting "booby" which I couldn't quite get my head around!  Sounds like you had some reasonable advice - hope you find some of it useful and it helps.  Anything to get Ted off the Gaviscon must be worth a try.

Hetty, I've been taking Kit to be weighed weekly since he was born.  The HV has said on a number of occasions that it's not necessary but it's always given me peace of mind to know he's been following his centile line and gaining weight steadily.  However, now he's nearly 7 months the weight gain has really slowed (perfectly normal, I'm assured) to only 2-3oz a week, if that.  This week he showed a loss of 1oz but the HV said he just hadn't gained, and they didn't look on it as weight loss as it could just be the difference between a full bowel or tummy last week and not this week.  In the early days I needed the reassurance of knowing that he was putting on weight therefore I must be doing something right - now I think I feel confident enough about my mothering skills to know that he's healthy, happy and content, and I think I'd know instinctively if there was a problem, so will probably now only get him weighed once a month or so.  As I'm going back to work in just over a week (aargh) it's about the right time anyway as I don't want to waste the days I have with him taking him to the clinic.

It's funny how they seem to sense when you're in a hurry and play up.  I was due at a friend's at 11:30 this morning - in theory straight after Kit's "lunch" which is currently at about 11:15am (friend lives a couple of minutes' walk away).  I prepared sweet potato and parsnip, which he's had loads of times before, but mixed in a small amount of pureed runner beans which he's never tried.  He completely refused to eat it after tasting the first mouthful (and he NEVER refuses food!)  Tried mixing in some pear but he wasn't fooled.  Eventually I made up 3tsp of baby rice with some formula and stirred the veg mixture into it and he finally decided to eat it - was 20 minutes late at my friend's!  Obviously filled him up though as he usually takes a full bottle at about 2:30pm and only took 5oz today.  Has only done 3 pooey nappies today which was great after the last few days - but the one he did just before his tea was a total explosion!  Soaked through his trousers and all down my top (I was holding him at the time!) and was a nightmare trying to get his bodysuit off without getting poo all over him.  It's more solid now too so was just dropping off in lumps all over the place - revolting!  It's even harder now because as soon as I undo his nappy he goes straight for his willy so have to try to keep his hands away until I've cleaned his bottom - the joys of boys!

22/09/2007 at 10:13

Minks I use the kallo low salt stock cubes. Really don't have the time to make stock, it seems fine and we now use it for everything.

glad the breast feeding clinic was ok janie and useful. Fingers crossed it all gets better now sickiness wise.

Hetty I always used to wake the other baby regardless, I often wondered whether Harry would have slept through from 10 weeks, but I wasn't gonna take the risk!

Thought my two were out of the woods cold and tummy wise today until Harry threw up his ready brek and banana all over me. Lovely! Hubbie has man flu too, great weekend ahead ;o) I am ill too, but someone has to get on with it hey!!

Went shopping with them yesterday they were so well behaved, very proud of them, got some lovely clothes for them too.

Was supposed to race a 10k tomorrow but too ill for that really. Shame, but at least it means hopefully will be ok for my half in 3 weeks time.

22/09/2007 at 11:18

I haven't had my two weighed since their 8 month check, they are now 11 months.

I guess it was roughly monthly before that. Having them weighed around a year as they will then correct them to the year, so it will look like they have lost weight on their charts.

23/09/2007 at 15:59

What do you do when LO suddenly decides they don't like veggies any more?  Kit's been great and eaten everything I've given him - until Friday (see previous post).  Fussed with veggies again Saturday but hubby managed to get him to eat them, then today was even worse and eventually only ate about 3/4, which took about half an hour.  He seems to have a cold so maybe that's affecting his appetite?  Could also have sore gums - last night he woke up about 7:45pm having been asleep for an hour, and it took us 20 minutes to console him and calm him down.  Was beside himself - real tears, the lot.  Not sure what the matter was as he usually sleeps brilliantly, but eventually have him a dose of Calpol and rubbed his gums with Bonjela and he settled down.  Not sure if he's just a bit poorly and off his food because of that, or if he's suddenly going to start getting fussy.  He's fine with baby rice and porridge - think I may have been giving him too much porridge after a full bottle of milk which may also be putting him off his later vegetable meal?  Don't want to turn mealtimes into a battle or give him a complex but also don't want him to think he's going to be able to get away with refusing hs veggies every day.  What to do?

MM, I seem to have a bit of a cold coming too.  Supposed to be doing a 9-mile run today but just don' feel up to it - slept really badly last night, waking virtually every hour as I was worried about Kit, so feel a bit wiped out today.  Thanks for stock cube info - am currently making a batch of fresh chicken stock but don't think I could face doing that every time!  If there are low-salt stock cubes available that will be a life-saver!

Had a rubbish day yesterday.  On our way shopping and hubby went into the back of a 4x4 Jeep at a roundabout.  Jeep was in front of us and started to pull out onto the roundabout.  Hubby checked right to see if the road was clear which it was, so pulled out - not realising Jeep had suddenly stopped.  Didn't see Jeep in time and went into the back of it.  No-one hurt and barely a scratch on the Jeep - but our car's a complete mess, crumpled bonnet, bent radiator grill and wrecked front bumper.  Shopping trip was aborted and looks like we'll be carless while the damage is repaired.  Had to do all the food shopping on foot today - luckily there were two of us.  I usually do the weekly shop with Kit on a Monday but obviously I take the car as a) can't push a buggy and a trolley at the same time and b) can't carry all the stuff and push the buggy home.  You never realise how much you rely on something until you don't have it. 

Hope everyone who's a bit under the weather feels better soon.  Am crossing my fingers for a decent night's sleep tonight. 

23/09/2007 at 16:18

Hi everyone,

Janie hope you're getting on better with b/f following on your consultation with LLL. 

AP, Louise is drooling and chomping on her hands too.  I also wondered about teething but figured it had to be miles too early so it's a relief to hear that Hector is at the same thing! 

Running going quite well.  Have only been doing 5Ks but today I upped it to 7K but kept the pace static until the last K.  Finished it and lay down to do some sit ups.  When I sat up again I thought I was going to puke everywhere!  Now that would have been embarrassing!  What is annoying is that I can only wear one of my sports bras and one of my tops to run in.  Have got a black shock absorber B109 I think it is.  It's amazing.  Bought a different style in white and it just doesn't have the same clamping effect.  i have to wear a coloured top as bra black and I can't wear any of my old gym kit as unfortunately they are quite fitted and you can see the outline of my breastpads!

i know you are not supposed to diet when you are b/f but does anyone know how many calories you are supposed to take in?  I am thinking about doing a weightwatchers plan (using my own old stuff) and thought i'd allow myself say 24 points.  I used to get 18  but I am over 10st so you get 20 and then I thought I'd give myself 4 extra points for b/f purposes.  i just feel so blob like and i have hardly anything to wear.  It seems that all my tops are cropped tops!  Styles have obviously changed so much in 1 year because I never noticed they were short before and whilst the boobs are hitching them up a bit, I can't blame everything on them.  Try though I might!  Mentioned it at new mums group and they all agreed!  The group did turn out to be fun as it was the 3 people whom I actually liked from my ante natal who were there and so we just have a standing arrangement to meet there each week and catch up. 

Sleeping is going well again.  We now feed at 5pm and then bath at 6.15 - 6.30ish followed by another feed at 7pm (bottle of expressed milk) and then bed.  Louise stays asleep til she's woken around 11pm and then we get til 7 or 7.15 ish.  It's amazing!  I get up sharp which lets me have brekky, express 150mls so I have some spare and then I just get my contacts in, brush teeth and wash my face and I'm ready to face the world. 

Was out for a work leaving do on Friday.  A mate of a mate was there and he is one of these naturally superfit people.  he used to do 32min 10Ks before he discovered beer and cricket.  he decided to run a 5K recently and was pleased with an 18 min 5K even though he thought it was a bit slow and he could easily do better.  At my peak I managed a 21.37 5K.  Post preg I have now got it down to 25.57!

Suspect I am heading towards the max post so will head off.  Have a good week all,

Claire

23/09/2007 at 20:46

Minks - we're going through a bit of the food refusal at the moment too, so you are not alone. Scarlett gets really distracted by anything else that remotely moves or makes a noise when being fed her food (not when she is drinking her bottle tho'!). Managed to get her lunch down her eventually (chicken risotto pureed looks so disgusting!) but it was a challenge. She fussed at breakfast too and consequently come 5.30 was absolutely howling for her milk and rice.  Thing is, their not going to starve and it is unlikely to effect night sleep (although I know we all worry about it); and as I'm finding with toddler, you can do what you like when they are a baby and still doesn't guarantee they will be good eaters then.  Toddler currently retches on all vegetables when fed them (and I know he can eat them) and hubbie can't cope with it at all!  Sorry to hear about your car - what a total nightmare, especially when trying to shop. I have started putting Scarlett in the baby bit of the trolley - next to big brother. I have to put her in a blanket though as the seats always look really grim!!  Hope you don't succumb to a cold - there seem to be loads around at the mo, hubbie is currently suffering from man flu and being suitably feeble!

EF - you sound like things are really settling down, and you are doing brilliantly with the running. Know what you mean about the breast pad thing - not a good look!! I bet you manage to beat your previous 5km pb.

Well, I completed my first ever duathlon yesterday. It was all off-road (Xtreme Terrain event). It was a 5km trail run/ 12km mbk ride (quite technical) and then a 2km trail run.  Did pretty well on the first run (3rd lady out of 18), biking was pretty slow - haven't done any technical riding for at least 18 months so was about 12th lady there, and once legs recovered from rubbery leg syndrome the final run was good - in fact I was the fastest lady on this leg.  I don't ache at all today - which I was surprised about, but have been walking about with a huge grin on my face feeling very pleased with myself. It was the joy of competing again, and I thought not bad for six months post-natal.  Am now looking for my next challenge - I think maybe a spring half-marathon.

Hope you all start the week well.

F

301 to 320 of 45,499 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.