Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

36,421 to 36,440 of 43,664 messages
12/07/2013 at 17:40

i think JT means it's already been through 1 child, so add her 3 on and that would make 4.

wow lotte - amazing. although how you didn't end up mega ultra lost, as caro said, i don't know!

i'm off out tonight to shakespeare in the amphitheatre in caerleon as part of the local festival. looking forward to it

sports day at school today. was v funny. E had NO clue what she was doing in the relay race. she stood there and looked bewildered. J forgot to start at the beginning of his race; too busy jumping up and down on the spot being excited. but stormed through the field and finished 4th, so had he started with the rest he would have been streets ahead. he still managed a little skip as he was running towards the finishing line. funny boy

12/07/2013 at 18:27

Well the one I'm looking at is £425, it's called a trek fx 7.2.  It is supposedly a hybrid so I could take it to tow paths, parks, the forest etc, but not hard core mt biking.  So is it worth getting a women specific bike?  Hubby and I are trying to fiddle it a bit so I can get the bike on his cycle to work scheme, which should be ok as long as its not a women's bike!

12/07/2013 at 19:07

Nothing really to say except WOW Lotte!  What an amazing race and a fab report.  I really couldn't comprehend running that far, effectively 3 marathons in one night (and way faster than 3 times the length of time I would expect to run just one!).  The idea of having run 50 odd miles and knowing there was a whole marathon left.....Ugh!

12/07/2013 at 20:36
I agree with JT, I wouldn't buy a bike without sitting on it first. My body is also proportionately longer than my legs, but I'm only 5'4 so most men's bikes are too big. My road bike was made for me back in the day when I cycled a lot, but my hybrid city bike is a small men's and is fine as I don't ever spend more than about an hour on it. There must be loads of bike shops near-ish to you so I'd go and get a feel for some of the different bikes then go home and check out online the dimensions of the frames that suited you best and go from there. Ooh, buying bikes is exciting!

I might enter a tri at the end of the summer, which would necessitate me dusting my bike off and taking it out for a spin!

CM - hope the theatre was good!
12/07/2013 at 21:53

dont worry I have no intention of buying a bike without trying it first.  It's just that I don't really know where to start!  I am also only 5'4 so am thinking I might need a women's spec bike.

12/07/2013 at 22:17
I have a specialized sirrus hybrid in a men's small frame if that's any help Caro, and it's absolutely fine for all the riding I do on it - couple of miles commute, new forest tracks with the children, round the common etc. I wouldn't go out for a 'serious' ride on it, but it's fine with both the trailer and the back rack seat on it. I just went down to our local bike shop, had a quick chat, sat on a couple, and bought it! Any of the big name brands would be fine I think. You could look do some reviews on wiggle and see if that helps narrow things down? Our local shop is hargroves, and it's run by proper cyclists so you could look online and see what they've got in stock as I think I'd have confidence in what they have. I haven't bought a bike for years so can't be any more specific help, and although my husband looks at bikes all the time, i think just one of his wheels is out of your price bracket so I don't think he'd be much use either!!
12/07/2013 at 22:57

Fantastic race report Lotte, I was gripped right to the end!  Well done!

EF - yeay to drinking EBM 

12/07/2013 at 23:19

Lotte's race report - best bedtime story I've had in ages. So when's the book out?! Lotte's guide to ultra running!

yay to EBM, buying bikes and sunshine. Boo to horrible work situations. Sleep beckons! Have good weekends all! 

13/07/2013 at 08:19

I thought for a moment EF had been drinking EBM

13/07/2013 at 08:19

13/07/2013 at 09:31

Lol, byock to drinking EBM! One of the mums here when Dylan was a baby had a reputation for using EBM in her baking! Her cakes were always untouched at the toddler Christmas parties!

Both my bikes are mens frames, my road bike is a Ribble and they built it for me based on my measurements (about £500), my mtb is a Specialized.I do have arms like a gorilla tough, long that is, not hairy!

Brookie I was so relived to hear all fine with baby.

13/07/2013 at 09:49

I have arms like ....um...the opposite of a gorilla.  ie short!

So I just did 3.2 miles (running that is) and mile 2 was 7.30 and mile 3 was 7.07!  Guess I'd better try a park run sometime soon........and I really should be stretching lots right now rather than telling you all about it!

13/07/2013 at 10:37

Having a discussion with Andy about baby cards. I meant him to make up thank you cards on snapfish but he's done an announcement card and says I can just write thank you notes on the back. that is fine but he wants to send a few announcement cards out to folk who do not know about Fraser - old neighbours and such like. I dont want to do that as I see it as fishing for a present and wonder if it looks grabby. What do you all think? Also if they did send a ruddy present I'd then need to do a different thank you card! 

13/07/2013 at 13:46

Sorry Brookie, I did read about your worries but didn't have a chance to respond at the time, then forgot  - so pleased all is ok (and thanks for the reminder Lotte!).

Lol to drinking EBM - never even tried it myself, didn't appeal somehow!  And  to baking with it - made me laugh!

EF - I've received cards like that from people I haven't heard from in ages and it was nice to be told, I'd probably just send a card or something unless I used to be a close neighbour?  Always best to avoid rows with hubby over these things too 

13/07/2013 at 14:56

Oh flip it's taken ages to read back so just a quick reply. LOVED EF & Lotte's race report, both had me gripped to ma seat, u r both awesome. Fraser is totally scrumptious EF & I so would luv a wee cuddle . Yay to taking EBM, clever baba.

lotte- amazing, cannot imagine doing that, I too would get totally lost & it would freak me out being all alone at night not knowing where I was! Yikes. We're u first then? How were your new shoes? Well done on the 5 days of running, lol.

tis rubbishCM, can you refuse to do it??

i have a ' giant' roadbike& a " cube" mountain bike. Like them. Both good names.

2 wks of summer hols already over. This week has been great due to the tropical conditions, I mean 20-30 degrees, wow.

worked Monday & nearly melted, so hot even the poorly HDU patients were sweating, ridiculous.

tues, Wed., and Thur. afternoon we spent down by the river having a fab time.

13/07/2013 at 15:02

Stupid ipadcuts me of all the time.

that should say ' no ' running Lotte!!!!

yeah so spent the afternoons chilling by the river, swimming, playing with sticks n stones, putting suntan lotion on the 3 girls, trying to get them to drink & generally being amazed at our wonderful weather, the hills around us and having it all to ourselves!!!!

Friday met ma mate & did our 2nd OW swim in my new wetsuit. At last I got one. A " blueseventy' one, really like t, hard to get on but felt good in the loch.

ooooops sitting in sun, getting burnt, back in while..................

13/07/2013 at 17:43

Tent up in the garden.

not as warm now, only 19 degrees, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

9 mile MTB ride then 3 mile hilly run this morning. Thought better start getting some brick sessions in as have the craggy island tri end of Aug. Then wee family half hr walk up the hill and I took M in the trailer for nearly 3 miles returning my borrowed wetsuit to neighbours.

brookie- great news all appears well with the baby

13/07/2013 at 17:48

LOVE LOVE LOVE this weather!!! Even if it is sweltering in the city. But I love it! 

read all posts but have to do dinner for E now so will post more later. RF - the river, hills and pics on FB look amazing. So beautiful. 

13/07/2013 at 18:19

We did announcement cards and then wrote thank you notes on them to people who sent gifts. Lots of our friends send announcement cards and I never think of it as fishing for a gift.  I had a huge pile of them darting back yrs and I only just chucked them.

13/07/2013 at 19:48

EF - agree with JG and Caro. People can always just send a card rather than a gift if they want? I have receifor announcements cards too and don't think it's fishing at all. It's nice news to hear. If you've sent an announcement card to someone who hasn't sent a gift and they do later, you could just send a generic thank you card in response. I'm sure that would be fine. I ran out of photo cards after a bit so just used kiddie style hank you cards at the end. (Slack I know! but I though I was doing well to whey the cards done at all!) 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.