Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

36,541 to 36,560 of 45,769 messages
07/01/2013 at 17:46

Hi Sonya, good to hear from you, glad you had a good Christmas.  Due date is Feb 20th, if I have csec, they will do about a week before that.  Max was March 8th so no chance of shared birthday, dammit - didn't plan that very well

MM - hope the weather doesn't put too much of a dampener on C's challenge.  All I can say is 'wow!'.  Are you planning to run any of it with him?

07/01/2013 at 19:45

Fletchers operation is this morning so am on tenterhooks waiting to hear any news. Got up to M in the night and somewhere in my sleep addled brain I decided to get into the spare bed with her (I think subconsciously I needed her close to me - can't remember what I was thinking!), anyway was fine until 5am when she woke and instead of going back to sleep decided to play. Totally my own fault but man that's an early start. Mega breakfast tantrum and tears at daycare drop off which is very unusual so all round I'm feeling a bit fraught! Waiting til the rain eases to get out for a run and clear my head.

So many poorlies on here - hope you all get some respite soon (((())))

07/01/2013 at 20:13
thinking of fletcher and hope it goes well Hoggle.
MM / JT are you saying that if you have a schedule (I don't) you should follow it religiously from the beginning even if you are usually doing more/ faster? Does it also mean that if you can run 30 mpw now that you could start a 'harder' schedule?
I would love to do sub 4 but am afraid to look at a plan in case I get too obsessed and overtrain again! still have doms from Sat so took a steady 3.5 today but carried light dumbells to try and boost arms!! Not sure if it is recommended or not!!
Kids in bed, university challenge on and milky coffee made...... Back later!
07/01/2013 at 20:43

Run done and head much clearer. A fairly ploddy run - just shy of 6km (am slowly building up!). Legs tired from lots of walking in last few days but sped up towards the end. The whole time I lived in London all my runs were pretty much flat so the hills here are a good challenge.

07/01/2013 at 20:49
Hope all goes well hoggle. 5am start is not good for toddler or mummy!

Yes, that's what I want to know Camlo, should I find a different harder schedule because I'm already comfortably doing 30mpw and the one I'm following doesn't seem to put the miles in. It is one of the RW ones, for sub 3.45, and does get up to 30 then quite a few weeks at around 40 so maybe is enough for me! I used the sub 4 one for my last marathon (4yrs ago!). Most of my training is going to be squished into work days when I can run home plus lsr at weekend (plus the dreadmill of course). Like you Camlo I get obsessed with a plan! And felt bad today for running faster than what I was told by the plan, how silly is that?!

Camlo- no idea if carrying dumbbells is a good idea! I'm sure you could do sub 4, just popping out to do 22 on a Sunday sounds like lotte style behaviour!

JT - don't understand much of the numbers but doesn't sound great for you. Hope the new steroids work and Pilates isn't scary!

TT- might you have a valentines baby then?!

MM- sounds like hubby has enough support to push him forwards. And yes, will you be running beside him? or supporting with the kids. Can not imagine going to a curry after! He can have a nap under the table maybe Cake sounds good too!

Must go, hubby has put gadget show on telly so I need to wrestle the remote off him
07/01/2013 at 20:58
Hello ladies!! Back after a lovely Christmas and a traumatic new year. (Will explain later).

Haven't read back fully yet but great to see so much running happening! MM - always in awe of your mileage. And good luck for your hubby. What is he raising money for? Does he have a just giving page? EF - how are you feeling now? And CM - really hoping you get 100% better soon too. I was ill, bit like you, almost nonstop from September to Christmas. But after a couple of weeks off work I feel like a new woman!

Camlo - you are such a strong runner, do you think you need to follow a training programme? It's a dilemma isn't it? I'm sure I could do sub 3.45 if I really tried, but I enjoy my relaxed marathons so much I kinda think I'm happy being a "jolly jogger" (great phrase JG!) rather than making myself miserable trying (&probably failing) to stick to a hard training programme. I think it all probably depends on your personality. I have such admiration and respect for CC, MM, Lotte - but I'm never gonna be in your league! But it's chatting with you guys in the forum that keeps me motivated and remembering to enjoy my running!

Yay - new year philosophising over! (Not sure that's even a word!)
Welcome Mel too - you could DEF do sub 4. I did and I've never done sub 1.50 in a half even. I'm lazy me.

TT and Hoggle - good to hear from you and thinking of your friends wee baby Hoggle.

Off to do more reading back now.

Oh yeah, good to see you back running Vixo! When is Stratford marathon Sonya?
07/01/2013 at 21:01

Ok, a couple of totally non running and non related questions :

1) anyone ever stayed with a chain of campsites called Huttopia?

2) this one is a bit trickier and requires someone with a knowledge of employment law, or maybe a part time employee who works Mondays.  I am still negociating the job.  (the alternate one didn't come to anything so we are back with the first one).  I would be working Mon, Tues and 1:4 Saturdays.  They offer their employees 5.6 wks holiday a yr which includes the bank holidays, which is 28 days for a full time employee.  I would be pro rata which I think would be 11 or 12 days.  However, as the 5.6 wks includes bank hols, on a bank holiday a full time worker is required to deduct it from their 28 days, so it means they get 20 days to do with as they please, and 8 days which are bank hols and therefore not flexible.   So if I work Mondays, every yr there will be a minimum of 4 bank hols on the days I work, and if xmas and NY fell on a Mon/Tues there could be up to 7 bank hols on the days I work.  Does that mean that I would have to use 4 (or up to 7) of my holiday days every yr because it is a bank hol, therefore leaving me with not many days to take when I want?

I can't find a definive answer on line, the practice haven't employed someone on a p/t basis before so I don't think they know, and I have just spoken to a supposed expert in employment law on the BVA legal advice line and they are going to get back to me as they don't know either!

School back tomorrow, but actually have had a really nice last wk, M has been a delight, E is now crawling everywhere and is a major liability!  We are going to start going to all the various playgroups again this wk as he is now down to one nap a day so we need to fill our mornings with fun! (or I need to drink coffee and chat to other mums!)

Oh went and saw my lovely physio on Fri and filled her in on all my woes and the huge no of different 'experts' I have seen over the past yr, incl psycho osteopath, and she was so nice and positive.  She did some ultrasound and electrostimulating stuff, and says she thought it was my sacroilliac but that I could also be gettig some referred pain from the couple of bulging discs that showed up on the MRI.  But she said she thought it should all go away with time, and that in her opinion BF definitely leaves things loose for a long time, so I just need to be patient.  She said walking was fine (hense my sudden obsession with miles on the 2013 FB page!) and also mentioned maybe a support brace to give those muscles a break for an hr or two each day.  But I'm still waiting for my appt to have orthotics made s I think I'll see how that works first.

Good luck to your hubby MM.  Shame we're not in Wilts or I'd stand by the rd and support!

Hi to everyone else

07/01/2013 at 21:06
Caro - this is probably asking the obvious but do they shut for every single bank hol?
07/01/2013 at 21:13

Camlo, I think running with weights may be more likely to injure you as you will change your gait to accomodate the extra weight... why not try some press ups/tricep dips on park benches or when you get home to break up the run? Do 3 sets of 12-15 and the arms will soon feel stronger.

Good to see all the marathon training starting. I struggled to slow down enough on my long runs but can totally appreciate why you should. I guess stick with your mileage you are doing now Sonja either by adding a couple of miles to easy runs or doing the lsr to the distance you are currently doing. I can't wait to get back running... awesome that you are running so soon Vixo. I don't think we are "friends" on fb, how far did you go?

I have entered a half marathon for late july which should give me enough time to train and give me something to aim for after baby makes an appearance.

Boo to feeling ill over Christmas JG. And hope you are feeling better CM and JT and EF. Has the prickly tummy subsided?

CC, your trip down south sounded lovely. Hope you get out for some decent runs.

MM, good luck to hubby and I hope he enjoys his birthday!

Thinking of you and your friend Hoggle. How was the light display at the park?

Right Brookie, this is twice you have left us hanging now... your last post you said you were excited about the new year for reasons you will share later and now not sharing about your new years eve!! Come on spill!!  

07/01/2013 at 21:27
EF yes. One vet works for 3 hrs at one of the practices, and you get a day off in lieu, so over the yr each vet only works one.
07/01/2013 at 21:40
Yes Brookie, I was wondering about your news too. Hope not something bad, was hoping you had something exciting to announce in new year.
07/01/2013 at 21:41
Caro - I work Mondays, and my leave is calculated including bank holidays, so yes, if I have a bank holiday off I have to take it out of my leave allowance - but we obviously have to cover all the bank holidays so I'm often working, and then can take a day in lieu. It sounds as though you would have to count them as part of your leave, which I agree, doesn't sound as though you'd then get many extra days to play with - although obviously you need to take fewer days off to get a week off, as you're only working 2 days. Ours is actually worked out as number of weeks, and part timers leave is worked so that you get the same number of total weeks leave - 6 weeks + 2 days.

Anj - I've lost track of who I'm friends with on fb! I'm VH on the running mums section if you want to find me. I only did about a mile, but O is only 16 days old, so am taking it slowly. I also stopped running at 11/40 after a bleed and a haematoma on the scan, so it's been a while! Feel fine today though, so will probably go out again tomorrow, and I'm going to enter a 10k in march - am excited!

JT - sounds like hardcore meds - hope they do the trick!! V annoying about the class, especially when you've bothered to get yourself there.

We went to ikea this afternoon to look at various things, and gave the children tea there, but I came over all tired as we were in the children's section and nearly had a serious sense of humour failure. Luckily hubby recognised that our time was limited and did a reasonable job of chivvying the children before I went into major meltdown - E was not impressed at being hurried past all the toddler beds and other exciting climbing possibilities!

I can't keep track of my husbands decorating whims - it seems his current plan is to strip loads of wallpaper in the next few weeks and then get someone in to skim the walls, then move the children around so the baby can have E's room and she gets a bigger one, then redecorate the sitting room....I was exhausted just hearing about it, and struggled to take part in the 'what furniture should we get' conversation on the background of rather limited sleep last night. Suffice to say, we both felt the conversation was rather unsatisfactory!!
07/01/2013 at 21:49
Caro it's hard. Because they apply the policy to f/t as well it would be hard to argue discrimination. Could you negotiate simply that if Christmas/boxing day is a mon that you get an extra day. It's not going to be too frequent. Andy's colleague works pt incl mon so I'll get him to ask her.
07/01/2013 at 21:57

Oh god Vixo, couldn't hubby wait a wee while to get carried away with all that DIY, I'M exhausted hearing about it and it has nothing to do with me!!!

Not sure why I am being bracketed with MM and Lotte as I am definitely not in their league!

Camlo - you are focussed girl aren't you at the mo , would agree with Angelicats re the tricep dips etc. I usually find that running with my small ultra pack is more than enough for my body to train with - and I'm sure that altered my gait somewhat which is why I am loving my new vest-stylee pack.

MM - sounds like it is going to be one manic weekend for you guys - lots of excitement and adrenalin, so much so I am guessing that whatever the weather it will be awesome!  Ouchy ouchy to spikes on gravel though!  Keep on top of those niggles.

I use schedules to keep me focussed and ensure I do quality sessions if I need to prioritise during the week, doesn't mean I stick to it but does ensure training is kind of in balance - well 'ish' anyway; is always a joke comparing what I have done vs what I should have done!!

JT - blimey that's quite some meds collection there but great to hear you can progress to power walking and the swimming is fabulous x-training too.

Slow runs - well I think my biggest mistake in past marathon training was running the Easy/recovery runs too fast ... early in the schedules it always feels too easy but once the mileage ramps up this isn't quite the case. It was only once i started training for the ultras I started to understand the true benefits of the different paced training runs.  I guess I sit somewhere between MM on high mileage and the perceived lower mileage of things like the FIRST schedules for achievements.  My first sub 4hr mara was done on a FIRST schedule and got me 3.55, but when I followed the 50 mpw schedule from Pfizinger and Douglas (with amendments and slightly lower mileage) I got a 3.34 mara (with a 1.37 half pb)

Brookie - Anjelicats said exactly what I was thinking too - come on, tell all ...

another one who had a day that didn't stop but somehow it's 9.50pm and I STILL haven't done my lesson plan for tomorrow ... supermarket, 5-miler in forest, de-junking kids rooms, school pick-ups, impromptu tea at new friends house (just moved into town and was their hubbys 40th) whilst also squeezing in cub drop-off, eating birthday cake, getting S home and into pjs before cub pick-up and on and on and on!!!  Think I must have done yesterdays 8-miler at a bit of a pace though - road running, shock horror, as quads a bit trashed today!!!

I have two pilates classes tomorrow - a morning one and an evening one. Four people in each class and they are signing up to a block of five - drop-in is not great for pilates as it takes a fair few weeks to get the hang of breathing etc.  JT - hope your alternative class is waaay less scary!!

JT - I'm on 100mg of beclometasone/formoterol 2x per day ...

07/01/2013 at 22:00
Thanks EF and vixo. I think if they do that it would be a deal breaker for me possibly. Or I'll go back to saying I don't want to work Mondays, or try and argue that I don't want bank hols included in my hol allowance, as its already far less than I used to get. This yr already we are about to book 2 wks for summer holidays, I need a day off in May half term, a wk off in sept, then if I have to subtract bank hols that won't leave any days for school concerts, kids b days, school inset days. That's not taking into account hubby being in the Far East and my dad not being able to come and stay to pick up the kids etc.
07/01/2013 at 22:09
Plus they told me that they don't allow the same employees to take holiday around bank holidays all the time to keep it fair, which is fine if you're a full time employee! Not that I'd be able to take much leave around bank hols anyway, as I obviously need to stick to school hols now.
07/01/2013 at 22:10
Thanks everyone you all sound lovely and very supportive. I've done myself a little programme (I did one for my half in nov although a few doses of sickness and diareah in our house last year wiped me out and I didn't stick to it as I'd have liked), so hopefully I can stick Ito this one!! Going on my first long run tomorrow while my oldest is at pre school as hubby just finished nights so can leave my little on with him, just starting at 10m as I have a dodgy ankle when I overtrain.
My programme consist of 3-4 runs per week I tend to do them faster than I should so want to leave recovery time, anyone else empty this method or is this a bad idea? This is my first marathon so have no idea?
07/01/2013 at 22:23
Caro - don't forget being part time you can cover colleagues when they need time off to accrue some extra days for when you need them.
May look at some plans / schedules but defo not 'following' one!! Will ditch the weights - was only looking at a way of adding some upper body work to my run and the rucksack of books was too bouncy! why do long runs need to be soooo sssllllllooooooooowwwwwww.?
come on Brookie - I'm staying up now just to hear your news!!
Vixo - yawn.......... Get some rest when you can.
CC good luck with the classes, sounds great!
2 glasses of Pinot noir and too squiffy to write much more!
07/01/2013 at 22:31

Hi Melanie, I have two children, an 8-year-old boy and a 5-year-old daughter and a husband who commutes down to England on a Sunday afternoon returning to NE Scotland on a Fri eve so I am a single parent during the week ... so my training is usually focussed on weekday stuff (he can be less than helpful about me running at weekend sometimes).  My schedules ALWAYS allow for sickness and school holidays - especially the summer holidays as they totally kill my training schedules!  I now have a treadmill because I am fed up of training going totally to pot.  I think you need to vary the paces of your runs, even if you do less of them.  That doesn't mean they have to all be easy, just need to mix it up a bit.  If I am totally pushed for training days then I do a long run at easy pace (later on that will include sections run at Marathon pace too), a speed or hill session, and something of a medium distance 7ish miles run at a tempo pace - ie faster than a steady plod.  An extra run might then be a medium-long run or an easy run.  Every four weeks I have an 'easy' week with less mileage. 

I am sure JT and MM and others will have words of wisdom too for you though.

07/01/2013 at 22:36

Camlo - my long runs are usually slow these days cos I choose such hideous terrain to go on and that slows me down no problem!!  I can't remember the technical reasoning behind why you do it - long unpronouncible words etc and building up of endurance (of which you have loads anyway!!), allowing body to adapt to burning fat as fuel as that lasts longer I think (but you also do that by training on an empty stomach). I actually think endurance running tends to strengthen your upper body anyway, just not in a gym-bunny obviously muscular kind of way.

Wish I was two glasses down on a bottle of Pinot Noir!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.