Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

36,641 to 36,660 of 43,682 messages
28/07/2013 at 22:43

Wow sounds like an 'interesting' race CM!! Sounds like you enjoyed it though! And really awesome to see you doing such cool stuff on your child free days! I am sure its still as hard as ever but you seem to have come a LONG way from those early days!

We are having our own mini heat wave! Ok so its still winter but its mid winter and cold in the mornings but once it warms up its almost t-shirt weather and gloriously sunny! We spent most of the weekend in the garden. Went into town for a wander around for a couple of hours and my back was so sore when I got home. Bit of a reality check for me - I am still so limited. The operation will hopefully stop the nerve pain reoccurring in my leg which is the worst part but it won't resolve the lower back pain so will need to start working on that. Nagging fear that its not going to sort itself out though. I really miss being an active person!! I can function normally ie. do my job, day to day things etc quite comfortably but I can't do any of the outdoor stuff that I love. Ah well, need to get this op out of the way and then start working on the rest to get it sorted.

29/07/2013 at 09:41

Forgot to send some hugs to MM. Sounds like a tough time. I hope now that they n know what's happening you can get the right help (((())))

Camlo    pirate
29/07/2013 at 20:35

big hugs from me too MM! Menopause symptoms suck. Agree with JT and others about branching out into something different to relieve pressure and disappointments. 

CM - madness, but sounds like my type of fun!! 

CC - wow, some great holiday and family moments but boo to bil loosing job.  How can peoplejust turn up and expect to be able to crash somewhere!??!

Hoggle - must be a worry about the operation but they wouldn't be offering it if it wasn't going to give you a better quality of life. 

JT -silly questions for you. I have entered a sea swim tri and so need to buy a wetsuit. dOes it need to be full length and long sleeves and how the dickens do I know what size? They don't seem to come in a 10 petite....... Lastly - if I normally stop each length for a little rest on a 400m and this is 750m (over 2 laps) what are my chances of drowning.....? 

I did about 20 mins of sea swimming on Saturday, scratched my legs on a submerged wall, kept being washed ashore like a whale and swallowed half the ocean. BAH! 

Went for a 10m run with club Sunday and boy did i struggle with tired legs. Rest today and then looking for a snatch of sunshine to try my new bike! 

Hope B and O are better sleeping. 

29/07/2013 at 20:41

Yes but Camlo don't you sometimes wish you had the guts todo that?  I could never in a million yrs go to another country, where I didn't speak the lingo with nowhere planned to sleep my first night - I would have it meticulously planned to the Nth degree - and prob still be stressed!

29/07/2013 at 21:55

Yeah we are back CC. Back on Friday after a lovely week in Aviemore. Spent 2 days at loch morlich and it was 31 degrees, glorious. Did a couple of wee runs and a nice cycle to boat of garten and also to loch morlich. Did a wee swim at loch morlich just in my cossie, didn't got far out though, too much of a wimp by my self. Really love Aviemore.

Camlo- I have just got a "blue seventy" full wettie. I got the medium & it just fits although hard to get on. Also got neoprene cap n socks, not wore the cap yet, just a normal swim cap. Hopefully meeting my friend this week and next week for another OW swim. It's only 4 wks till my tri & I haven't been in the sea yet, yikes. Worried about waves!!!!

CM- well done on the race. Sounds fab & mad, great experience.

oh MM that sounds rubbish, poor you. I hope you get something sorted soon. Take care.

hoggle-that must be so hard being in pain and an op is a worry but is obviously what you need ((((((()))))) x

vixo- boo to lack of sleep, so hard. Hope things improve for you

Athletics sounds good RB

29/07/2013 at 21:59

EF- how are you all doing????

CC-hols sounded good but very hectic.

we are on holiday this week also. Yay. Took C for her eye test today then we both had our hair cut. I have then coloured my hair tonight, what a faff that is!!!! Squeezed in a 11.5 mile MTB ride!

Going to a festival Frid/ Sat called belladrum, not totally loving the camping idea!!!!  I will not sleep but hey should be a laugh!

29/07/2013 at 22:02

Camlo- laughed at your description of your sea swim!!!!! I have done a couple of loch swims now and did a mixture of FC & BS and found when I was tired I just tread water. Wetsuits are amazing,don't think you would drown!!!!

and wow to thinking of doing an ironman next year. It is my 2015 plan. Hopefully a half ironman for me next year !

29/07/2013 at 22:38

i'm sure Scarlett would be better than me at map reading!

29/07/2013 at 23:57

I love the description of S orienteering CC - wonderful to see such confidence and keenness!!

30/07/2013 at 08:56

Thanks RB. We were registered thanks got the priority email thanks. We just didn't have crystal palace tickets being the main issue. We spent a long time refreshing the scren and trying again but got the dreaded sorry no tickets available multiple times. guess you werent trying to buy 5 tickets! The stadium is impressive but was disappointed by being funnelled through the park and not seeing it all. Am sure we will be back but will be sure to get to see some less hyped athletics at some smaller venues next year. The kids have been to Wembley this year too to see yeovil go up so they,ve done well.

I have had suggested spirulina cc. Not doing much for me though. Evening primrose oil and mecafem So far. 25mg of soya each day too. So tofu here we come! 

Am much better this week. Last week was bad. Ride the storm guess  

Enjoying the biking although binned last night as flash floods here. Never seen storms like it. Amazing views of them from the office over the bath hills. Had to come home early as Sophie was sick at nursery. She is fine though. Just don't think she likes their fish pie! 

30/07/2013 at 09:09

MM the park is not re opened yet.  Most of it is still under refurbishment, and part of it is being used as concert venues, and there was a big east end festival on in the north part of the park last wk end as well - so they will have kept the people going to the 2 events entirely separate.  I dont think its being re opened as one big park until next yr now.

30/07/2013 at 09:23

MM Yes, I had Crystal Palace tickets and you'd still have been OK for five seats. From what I've read, the stadium will now be reconfigured to remove seating and prepare for West Ham moving in, then there's the rugby World Cup in 2015. So, I'm guessing that the Diamond League will revert to Crystal Palace again next year. If so, I suggest you get tickets for that as soon as you get your priority email (normally around February). It's much less frantic and more enjoyable overall.

I sneakily did the Olympic Stadium Anniversary 5 mile race last week which involved running round the Olympic Park and finishing in the stadium. The entry came with two spectator tickets so LB and Mrs B were in the stadium cheering me on. Despite being overweight, unfit and still not healthy, I almost won the MV55 category. There's no way of knowing who was who at the time but I was only 3 secs behind the first MV55.

The Copper Box venue has just opened to the public for things like badminton and basketball and the Velo Park is due to open next year (velodrome and BMX). Ditto the aquatics centre. Should be good.

30/07/2013 at 09:38

RB - well done!  Shame on being beaten by 3 seconds!

Very rainy here - Martha has a week long swimming course luckily so we have something to pop out to regardless of the weather.  Really pleased as she is fairly confident and happy to give it a go.  Now I just need Aidan to show an interest!

30/07/2013 at 17:37

Wow to the crazy Russian CC!

When my brother lived in the countryside they had a bit of a mega party and some Russian fruitpickers appeared out of nowhere and said 'we heard the music so we came' and joined in the party!

So pleased, Martha is swimming on her own already!!  The teacher said she was really close yesterday and she looks pretty comfortable doing doggy paddle I think, she has told me they are going to learn arms tomorrow!

30/07/2013 at 22:09

Damn black clouds this evening. Damn! Have been running but very sore Achilles and  rather upset tummy not helping. Nice afternoon with the kids too. Guess you can't predict it's arrival. I think I preferred the night sweats and hot flushes phase

Camlo    pirate
31/07/2013 at 08:53

boo to black clouds - hateful things! 

yippee to mad Russions, swimming lessons, orienteering (with being zipped) and super speedy RB

Camlo    pirate
31/07/2013 at 08:56

oops forgot to say thanks for tips about wetties, not looked at clip yet JT. Will defo try and get some swim coachingand give  you a shout if I can't get something locally. 

Did 17 miles on new bike yesterday and took10% off previous time followed by a 8 'mile hilly run in the evening. That counts as a double day doesn't it??!

31/07/2013 at 22:13

3weeks??  That sounds a tad excessive.........

01/08/2013 at 08:54

Perhaps not move your car JT, they should shift theirs if they are already inconveniencing everyone!  I'd be pretty cross about the dust too, why is it taking so long?

We seem to have summer colds all of a sudden.  I thought Benedict was just teething but Aidan and I seem to have it too and I'm pretty sure I have all my teeth, as does Aidan.  We are meant to be going to Hereford tomorrow for the weekend and they will be really chuffed if we bring lurgy with us!!

01/08/2013 at 22:52

So annoying JT!  Hope it's not aggravating your asthma.

Well done RB, 3 seconds!

Just enjoying a boozy anniversary night in with hubby (I'm on the tea now!) - Tesco curry takeaway and fizzy rosé .  Italian meal out tomorrow night - still debating whether to get a taxi or one of us drive!

Had a particularly annoying day with family trying to organise a holiday that my mum wants to pay for for all of us.  I have suggested a Christmas get-together as we are all spread around the country, and was on the verge of booking it when my brother and now one of my sisters has come in with a totally negative view of the whole thing.  Not a good time of the month to be winding me up either 

On a positive note, a friend shared a link for 5 riding lessons for £25 the other day so I decided to buy one for Sophie, she had her first lesson today and loved it!  I love riding too so I am very pleased to see my little girl taking it up too .  They went on a little half hour hack (on leading rein) so me and Nicky followed and we had a nice little walk together too - a whole half hour with no whingeing!

York 10k on Sunday - really want to crack an hour again.  1hr 55 on my last race so not far off.  I managed to get a pb at the parkrun on Sat despite only turning up about 3 mins before the start - oops!  31:48 so still pretty slow really but I'm slowly improving.

Sorry to anyone I've missed, have been reading but head to foggy with rosé right now 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.