Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

36,721 to 36,740 of 45,822 messages
16/01/2013 at 16:24
Brilliant news ef!! Just goes to show how inaccurate ultra scans are when measuring due dates. Their dates and my dates do not add up but obv they go with theirs. We shall see.

CM, don't beat yourself up about it. Kids are pretty resilient and she has probably forgotten about it already! I shout too at times and feel bad, but I think I shout more often so it goes largely ignored

Fab running from mm and lotte, can only dream of that mileage! My body breaks down at around 40-50 mpw!

Mrs o, I just use clarins daily and in the eve and whack on the Vaseline on my lips.

Busy trying to get everything sorted in the house, have had to move stuff around and shift bits back into storage and some stuff out. Still, now the baby at least has a bed and a few bits of clothing if he/she does put in an early appearance.

Still gyming it daily... It's mainly damage limitation now though. I think my back would probably withstand a run now, but with 3 weeks off I think I will leave it until after he/she is born now.

V cold here too, l came home from preschool on Monday soaked to the skin. Goodness knows why she was allowed to get so wet outside bug she was freezing. I had to plonk her in the bath to warm her up. She is going for an all day session tomorrow so I will have to ask them to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Just submitted my first application for a Uni place in sept... Fingers crossed!!!

Glad Pilates is going well cc, your cold run sounds fun.
16/01/2013 at 17:24
Great news EF, maybe you can relax just a wee bit now and hopefully they crapiness feeling will go soon x
cM- dont worry, we all do it & all feel guilty. You said sorry & it will be forgotten. Nobody's perfect & sometimes our patience is very thin.
Wow Anj, well done on still going to the gym, brilliant & gulp at the application for uni!
Kinsey- hopefully they'll sort your voice out. Take care (((()))))
Amazing running mileage MM and Lotte as always, don't know how you get those miles in
Did 3.5 miles run with the buggy and then M fell asleep so a few hill reps & back to do 2 miles quick on the treadmill!
16/01/2013 at 17:29
Meant to say hi Mrs O- I clart boots number 7 day and night cream on my face, eye cream at night and Vaseline /blistex on my lips. Sometimes put Nivea on my face when really cold as feel it forms a layer of grease on my face!!!
16/01/2013 at 19:30
Great news EF! It's been a baby tastic week here, 3 friends have popped out sprogs, and another is due her twins in Oz at the end of the month after a long time of ivf so v exciting news for her (I refrained from telling you about her EF, before you knew it wasn't twins!)

Going to have an informal interview n Fri with the goddards vet group who have many branches within the M25 incl 19 in NE London. Their branch in west ham need a vet every Wednesday, and they are keen to meet me. It would be a much easier commute than the job I didn't take. Plus another branch might be looking to add another vet one day a wk as well in the nr future. They are the main vets around here so actually getting in with them would probably be the way to go, and I have locumed for them in the past.

The agent who got me set up with the job I didn't take agreed that the money they were offering me was a waste of my time so I feel vindicated about my decision there!
16/01/2013 at 19:37
Fabulous news EF, so happy for u.

CM- think u will find we have all done that at least once if not several times, many in my case. Yes we all feel bad + guilty afterwards but at same time I think it does kids no harm to see that Mum has her limits + loses the plot sometimes. In fact I cannot imagine how scary it would b for a child to witness someone losing the plot if they had never seen their parent do it at some point.

Mrs o- I don't use much on my skin at all, face get washed with water in the shower + occasionally I out some Nivea soft on it, but that's the extent of my skin care regime. 40yrs old + pretty wrinkle free, so it works for me.
16/01/2013 at 19:41

Great that your agent agreed with you on salary - often they just want you to take a job!

YAY EF!!! That's fab news and must be such a weight off your shoulders! When are you planning on telling Lou?

MM - forgot to say well done to hubby!! That's very impressive!! My hubby's 40th next Saturday and all he is doing is complaining that he has to work (not his usual day)! I am trying to plan lots of fun things without spending crazy amounts. Decided that rather than going out for dinner, we are going to leave M at mum and Dads for a night and go tramping and stay in a hut somewhere in the ranges near my parents. It will be lovely to do something that we used to do together pre-baby!

Karen you are doing awesome work with the Tri 2013!! And Camlo too!! I'm not going to get close but using it to motivate me anyway and am definitely getting out more than I was so that's got to be a good thing.

Struggling with tiredness at the moment. A few late nights and early mornings over the weekend and I just can't seem to catch up despite early nights this week.

16/01/2013 at 20:01

Oh yes, MM... I forgot to say wow about hubby too. That is pretty impressive. Did he have a monster hangover after the celebrations?

And ooh RF our resident celebrity... look forward to watching on IPlayer.

Hoggle, tramp sounds great. Have you done any tramping on Mt Taranaki? Don't they have huts? I would have loved to do that in NZ. Settled for the Tongorirro in the end.

16/01/2013 at 20:27
Brilliant news ef!! Just goes to show how inaccurate ultra scans are when measuring due dates. Their dates and my dates do not add up but obv they go with theirs. We shall see.

CM, don't beat yourself up about it. Kids are pretty resilient and she has probably forgotten about it already! I shout too at times and feel bad, but I think I shout more often so it goes largely ignored

Fab running from mm and lotte, can only dream of that mileage! My body breaks down at around 40-50 mpw!

Mrs o, I just use clarins daily and in the eve and whack on the Vaseline on my lips.

Busy trying to get everything sorted in the house, have had to move stuff around and shift bits back into storage and some stuff out. Still, now the baby at least has a bed and a few bits of clothing if he/she does put in an early appearance.

Still gyming it daily... It's mainly damage limitation now though. I think my back would probably withstand a run now, but with 3 weeks off I think I will leave it until after he/she is born now.

V cold here too, l came home from preschool on Monday soaked to the skin. Goodness knows why she was allowed to get so wet outside bug she was freezing. I had to plonk her in the bath to warm her up. She is going for an all day session tomorrow so I will have to ask them to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Just submitted my first application for a Uni place in sept... Fingers crossed!!!

Glad Pilates is going well cc, your cold run sounds fun.
16/01/2013 at 20:28
Grrr.... I have the I phone gremlins!! Sorry
16/01/2013 at 20:32

Hoggle I reckon you could do it if you include walking.  At the moment I am only walking, so that's my goal, and 2013 km is 1251 miles give or take, so about 100 miles a month!  According to runkeeper I am 5% to achieveing my taget, which is not bad.  I am walking 4-5 miles a day, I just add extra miles onto the school run.  But then I have no ideea whether you live within walking distance of anywhere or if you have to drive everywhere - shops, nursery etc.  I only drive if I absolutely have to.  I've even started walking to tesco, because I get so cross at the carp car park and all the lazy selfish people that park in the kiddie spaces with no kiddies, that it keeps my stress levels down!  I pack a tonne of stuff in the good old maclaren buggy, and no doubt totally overload it, and carry a backpack as well, so it makes me feel very virtuous!

16/01/2013 at 21:15
Thanks girls. E did nothing at all to deserve it and it was all my fault. Arses. Anyway tis done and won't happen again for years hopefully.

Well done JT. Glad lungs good!

I use nothing on my face. Too lazy. And I have wrinkles and bags. Ah well.

Have done boot camp tonight. Loads of wheezing and coughing but sod it. Came home and cooked rigatoni with chorizo, 5 (yes 5!) fat cloves of RAW garlic, half a bag of rocket, loads of pepper and some Parmesan cheese. Bloody lovely. And unhealthy. But wtf
16/01/2013 at 21:18

EF - fabulous news! Hopefully you can relax a bit now and try and enjoy the next 6 months before the little one makes an appearance. BTW, are you planning to find out which colour bump it is?

Mrs O - I'm another one who doesn't much go in for fancy face creams, I just use Olay in the mornings and that's usually enough to stop my face getting too dry. Having said that, since I'm turning 40 this year maybe I should graduate to one of those anti-wrinkle creams, it's not a problem at the moment but I've got friends who tell me that once they turned 40 the wrinkles started coming soon after!

CM - ditto what everyone else has said about the screaming at the kids. We all do it and in our house I'm definitely the main offender as hubby has way more patience than me. It's not something you do all the time so try not to beat yourself up about it too much.

Hoggle - hope the early nights start to do the trick soon 

Caro - good luck with the interview on Friday - there's a Goddards not too far from us in Walthamstow.

MM - wish I could knock out 3 miles at sub 7 at any time, let alone the end of a 12 mile run.

So racing question for you all now, there are a bunch of mum's at the school doing a local half at the beginning of April and I'm being persuaded to join them. Haven't actually decided if I'm going to do it or not but I am going to follow the hm training plan anyway and decide nearer the time. The reviews of the race say that because it's only a local race and not run on closed roads there are times when you actually have to stop running and wait for traffic. There's no chip timing so my question is if I run it can I legitimately stop my watch if I do have to wait for traffic and still claim that time as a PB (assuming I do actually beat my PB time)?

16/01/2013 at 21:34

oh goodness, everyone has come back to the forum and now I can't keep up!!

Lotte - good to hear from you, but boo to the nasty cold. I think i am fighting what J has had - have been pouring echinaceae down my neck but think I am fighting a losing battle. Defo couldn't knock out a 90+ mile week on the back of that, but then I couldn't do that anyway!!  Haven't got the actual ski bit booked yet - am waiting to see if we can get a deal but have agreed we need to book something by Sunday/Monday - I am too much of a control freak to leave it any longer!! Have flights booked to get us down to Gatwick and then back from FIL + have told school kids are not there for 3 days.

Kinsey - good to get these things checked out. I had chest x-ray in May when I had that awful asthma/cough thing going on. Have also had thyroid checked in past (when J was about 9 months old I think).

Anj - so close now!! V exciting re university too - so many exciting things happening.

EF - that's fantastic, so so pleased. The thing that usually bu**ers up estimated due dates is the way the midwife/GP calculates it - 1st day of last period ... if like me, you had screwy cycles then that never works, ended up having to have a scan with S based on that data and I and they knew I'd have to have another one.

Um, Caro - that sounds good re the job prospects, keeps options open too. Also reassuring to hear what agency had to say re the job too!

Mrs O - don't lurk please. 

Facial care - usually warm water splashed on morning and evening. If I've had more make-up on then Boots Botanicals cream cleanser for sensitive skin. Had big probs with rosacea since the autumn and was going to go to GP but found some stuff in local herbal/health food shop and fingers crossed ... Weleda Akndoron Purifying Lotion (intensive care for problem skin) which seems to be sorting the rosacea and then Jason soothing 84% Aloe Vera moisturizing creme which was about £7 and is the most gorgeous creme. So all very cheap really. I'd be lying if I said I have no wrinkles, but I think I am wearing well for a 42.5-year-old!!

16/01/2013 at 21:35
Oh and yes hello to mrs o. I use simple anti wrinkle day and night.
16/01/2013 at 21:38

Was determined to get up local-ish hill today (about 50 mins drive) Ben Rinnes as good clear day, about 800m+ but oh my god was it cold. -1 in the car at the start, no idea what wind chill.  Was going to head on a bit after the summit, but despite wearing balaclava, buff, hat, shorts under leggings, three upper layers and woollen mountaineering mits I was chilling down by the second so headed back down. 6 miles all told and stunning but very windy and very cold!!

Hoggle - a yomp sounds fab and also the time without wee one, that makes SUCH a difference.

16/01/2013 at 21:45

fruit and nut cookies: (for children with nut allergy use 75g rolled oats)

I didn't have all the right ingredients so there are various substituions!!

• 125g butter/margarine;
  • 150g sugar (caster but I used demerara),
  • 1 egg, 75g wholemeal flour,
  • 75g plain white (I used SR gluten free white!),
  •  1/2 tsp baking powder; 125g crunchy peanut butter,
  • 100g sultanas,
  • 75g chopped dried ready-to-eat apricots (I used raisins)

Preheat oven to 190/gas 5 & spray 2 heavy-duty baking trays with oil

•  In bowl combine fat, sugar, egg, flours, baking powder and peanut butter until well mixed. Then stir in the dried fruits.
  • Spoon mixture onto baking sheets (I used a dessert spoon for sizing), leaving enough room for them to spread.
  • Bake for 15 mins. Cool and place on wire rack to finish cooling.
16/01/2013 at 21:49

fab news on the run JT

and CM - have been there far more times than I ought with my two.  Tonight I did apologise for being grumpy and tired ... but then S up at 2.30am with an itching insect bit (wtf - it's -8 out there, what insect is alive and biting!!) and J up at 6am finished me off a bit today ...

16/01/2013 at 21:58
Karen......no! Gotta go with the official time!

Which half is it? Roding valley half is in march and having done it 3 times I can highly recommend it as a good, reasonably priced local half, with chip timing and a lovely medal. I have stayed in the flat above the walthamstow goddards but not worked there.
16/01/2013 at 22:00

hmmm, definitely official time I'm afraid!

CM - garlic is good for you and so is rocket

That's some pretty hefty daily walking mileage Caro. Fab

16/01/2013 at 22:30

CM - I read your dinner and thought that sounded healthy!!

Anj - yes we do lots of traming on Mt Taranaki!! I love it and it's less than 20 mins from house to visitors centre carpark. I'm planning an overnight trip with a couple of friends and our little ones to one of the closer quieter huts - can't wait!! Unfortunately hubby and my tramp has to wait a month or so as Mum and Dad are being far too social for the next wee while!

CC - pics of your run looked fab and not surprised that you were freezing!!!

Ok so it's 11.30am and so far I have done no work but have made a great start on Matilda's dress for my sisters wedding! Whoops!!! Sat down to make myself do some work and here you are all chatting! It's so quiet in January workwise which is great although I should be using the time to get on top of things before it all goes crazy again - ah well!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.