Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

36,901 to 36,920 of 47,603 messages
10/10/2012 at 15:08
CM well I have now officially put myself on the bench for the foreseeable. I am going to hibernate till spring, in the hope that a rest over winter will sort things out. I have a local runner acquaintance who sees an osteopath so may go and see him once I've had my 6 sessions with the dragon, and mabe go down the podiatrist route if he can recommend someone. When I asked dragon if she could recommend someone she said no and that was that!

Hi tattyB!

Can't remember who had it done but I finally had the ovens cleaned this morning. They had got so bad they set off the smoke alarm when used........he was here for 3.5 hrs and they now shine and sparkle. Hopefully they work too, as he took them to pieces in ways I never knew possible.

School time.
10/10/2012 at 15:09
Oh and we have booked a date to get the will done, 20th nov with WillAid, so I am finally getting round to doing things rather than just talking about them!
10/10/2012 at 15:54

i had my oven cleaned in my rented house before i moved out. the oven in this house is a disaster. altho it's not very old a bolt is broken which holds the shelves up on one side - it is missing but a bit is broken off and stuck in the hole. so i can't keep the shelf straight which means anything like cakes / buns are a disaster. i don't know what to do about it really - can't buy a new bolt as the bolt is stuck in there and am scared to drill it out! the only place i can cook anything is on the very bottom of the oven which obviously isn't ideal!

J is at home with me this afternoon and is being very funny. i think i could get quite used to working with him at home. he occupies himself for about half an hour, then comes for a chat and to tell me he is switching activity, then goes away again. it is lovely and sociable. he also sings to himself while he is playing which is so sweet. have managed to get quite a bit done - since he stopped talking to me about buccaneers which he was colouring!

10/10/2012 at 15:56

hi tattyb - hope all is ok!

10/10/2012 at 16:06

Hi there, I'm new to this thread and wondered if anyone can give me advice about pushchairs? I am due to have my first baby in Feb and we're looking into pushchairs now - looking for a good all-rounder including being able to jog with it. I noticed this month's RW suggests a few which is great, but they haven't reviewed them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

10/10/2012 at 19:39

Hi to RK (sorry forgot earlier ) and to Run-Bun-One.  Lots of experts on babyjoggers on here but I never had one so no help I'm afraid!  Someone will be along soon with some advice .  Is the Pregnant Runners' thread still going?  Not looked on there in a long time (and don't intend to !).

Interesting that you have had your oven cleaned, Caro, I've always been incredibly ashamed of the fact that ours has never been cleaned!  2 years and counting...  Yeay to getting things done, I so need to do that.

Hi TattyB, was just thinking about you the other day, glad you are well.

10/10/2012 at 20:01

I think there was a debate on this in the 'general running' forum a couple of weeks ago which I think I contributed to, might be worth doing a search for the item as there was pretty good info on there, not that you won't get it here cos you will but seeing as it was quite recent gotta be worth a look.

10/10/2012 at 20:27
Hmm, maybe our oven could do with a clean too...having said that, I think we may get a new one soon (it has been in since the house was built in 2000 so doesn't really owe us anything). It has been cleaned since then

Baby joggers (my IPad wants to call them 'baby jiggers'!!) - I got mine from the US when we were out there a few years back. It's a Babytrend one and only cost $89 plus tax. It was great. Definitely have a look on EBay for bargains!

Interesting reading about the reading! JP is doing really well with his reading - had his first parents' evening last night and his teacher said he is streets ahead His writing needs more work though - he is such a typical boy in that he can write perfectly well, but he has a serious dose of CBA All in all though, he has settled in really well and is enjoying it. He was definitely ready to go!

Caro - I reckon I need to hibernate too. Have been off work today with a yucky flu type lurg so think it would do me good! Hopefully I should be Ok tomorrow but we will see! There does seem to be a lot of it about at the moment. The running isn't fantastic at the moment but I am getting out about twice perhaps three times per week. Have said I will do a 10k at the end of November so I had better get my bum in gear once the lurg is gone. Have been really busy with work - I have been acting Head of Dept whilst my line manager has been off with a detached retina He is back tomorrow though so I wil be slightly less busy! His wife is due to have their first baby in 2 weeks though, so I can't relax just yet! I have really enjoyed the extra responsibility, even if I have had no extra time or money for it... Still, it puts me in a good position when things come up in the future so I don't mind really.

Good to be back
10/10/2012 at 20:41

Waving hello to TattyB!

Caro - was that the Oven Wizard? He did a great job on mine which reminds me I really should book him again as it was just before Xmas that he came last and I've made zero effort to clean it since

Hoggle - happy belated birthday. Sorry to hear it wasn't a great one and hope that M is better soon.

JT - yes Issie is a summer baby so I know I shouldn't worry. It's funny because last school year (when she was in reception) I was really relaxed about it. I think my issue is that she picked up the sounds stuff really quickly so I thought she'd sail through the rest but seems to have stalled a bit since then. Will try not to stress about it anymore.

I'm doing a CM at the moment and refusing to turn the heating on. Energy prices are too bloomin' expensive so am trying to delay it for as long as possible this year - aiming to go until November if I can. Consequently am sitting writing this in a jumper and fleece but I'm going to have to dig out the winter duvet as my feet were freezing in bed last night.

JG - forgot to say, hope your friend is okay, all sounds a bit scary.

Don't know what's wrong with me this week but I'm so lethargic I just can't be arsed to do any exercise. Skipped pilates on Monday with the excuse that I was tidying Issie's bedroom and haven't been to the gym any lunchtime this week despite having my kit at work all ready to go. Think maybe it's the change in seasons, it's now dark again when I leave for work which is always a bit depressing. At the moment I just want to eat chocolate and hibernate. Time to get the light-box out methinks ...

10/10/2012 at 21:24

Good to have you back TattyB and great to hear JP doing well. Hope you shift your lurg soon.

Karen - can you still not run? You know you will feel better if youcan get yourself out to the gym but...

Caro - my orthotics are the best thing I have ever done for my running. I see the chiro every 6 months to straighten things from back down, podiatrist from feet up and orthotics from her and the difference in my injury rate is incredible (bah I will get injured now I have said that). I got moulds done and the orthotics cost about £180 which is alot but worth every penny.

Lovely calm day here perfect for the track session tonight but it turned out to be a bit of a disaster. Mess up with track not being booked for the club, and a football club training on the grassy area in the middle which meant that we only got our 1 mile time trial and then 1x800 done before they chucked us off the track for health and safety reasons incase we were wiped out by a football!, bah. Didn't even get a 1 mile PB despite the calm conditions, ran 5.41 and my PB is 5.40.

On the upside we have booked tickets to go and see Shrek next Thursday when we are in London. Tried hard to get Lion King but best price I could get was £400 for us all in rubbish seats. Shrek is £200 in better seats and both sets of grandparents have given us money for treats so we will still have enough left to go on the London eye too!

Parents evenings went well last night all got glowing reports. Not the same children at home as at school obviously  I brought up my concerns about Lewis' speech and the nursery teacher agreed so she is going to refer him for assessment with the speech therapist. He speaks lots and uses good sentences and a great range of vocabulary but he isn't very clear and unless you are tuned in to him he can be difficult to understand. He and Cameron have always been quite lazy speakers between themselves, half words and gobblydegook. Anyway hopefully they can give us some exercises to do and things to improve his pronounciation.

10/10/2012 at 22:27
Wow lots of chatting girls!! Good to see you Tatty.
Buggies / DVDs - sorry no advice, when preg I see it as an excuse to do nothing and when I have babies I want to get away from them not flipping take them with me!
Orthotics - I only have cheap generic insoles but my knee has been better since using them (in boots for work mainly, not just trainers)
Bugs - gggrrrrrr but glad most of you are on the mend. CM I really think you were running on empty and that's why you are struggling to bounce back.
oven cleaning - you are all joking right??
Heating - no way am I prepared to sit and shiver. Must check the oil but if we need some then I'd sell the kids toys..... (only joking, well maybe a few....)
CBA - come on girls, trainers on and force your butts out for a 5 min run (this does not apply to Lotte, MM, CM, CC, preg ladies, poorlies....... Oh cripes just you and me then Karen!)
M and M offers - good call and just had an email about 50% off Saucony from somewhere - will look and post later!
Had our 1st junior athletics club earlier, around 22 enthusiastic 8-15 yr olds with far more speed and flexibility than me!
Did a hilly 7 too and Achilles was tight as.
10/10/2012 at 22:35

Helloooo Tatty, good to 'see' you!

Hope all the poorlies and sluggishes are feeling better soon. I think the change in the seasons doesn't help, and after speaking to my mum yesterday, sounds like you've had some pretty grim weather too which won't help!

Hoggle - that does sound like a bit of a pants birthday, sorry but I reckon I missed that one - belated wishes!

So BOG HUGS to all above.

Lord my oven is rank and definitely needs doing, have been putting it off for some weeks now!

Seats for Shrek sound fab and the London Eye too - Joshua is desperate to go on that. 

CM - Joshuas writing was pretty dreadful for a long time, and even now, it's legible but the size varies enormously, we are getting there but it's not his top thing. Frustrates him though as he has such fantastic ideas in his head but he struggles to get it all down on paper.

S has been having speech therapy, kicked in when she was 4 properly.  We had some exercises to work on specific sounds as she substituted 'd' for absolutely every sound she couldn't say - unusual apparently. Anyway, they helped but also she just seemed to make an enormous improvement just before she turned five. She still can't make the 'l', 'w' and 'r' sounds but I guess that will come. Half her problem is she tries to get it all out so fast!! Waiting for an appt for her for an update on stuff.

Just done another Pilates class on a couple of different friends, one who's never done any kind of stuff before so it was good experience for me. Biggest challenge was trying to get kids in bed and brain in gear beforehand!

Beautiful day here so headed down to Grantown (another 'sod the jobs' day!) and did a lovely 13-miler along the Speyside Way, but oh boy, HOW FLAT??? Can't remember when I ran on anything that flat, don't like flat!!!  But with not a cloud in the sky, sunshine, various livestock in the fields and only two other people out and about it really was glorious. So legs felt good after yesterdays 8 so hoping for hills tomorrow after work if I can squeeze in before school pick-up.

Lotte - one second!! Sounds pretty speedy to me anyway, but bah grrrrr to the football team.

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 22:36
10/10/2012 at 22:40
Website is runners need but the only neutral shoe they have is available in size 8 only. they do have Saucony guide 4 which look ok but they are support so am I right in thinking I should avoid (even though I pronate when tired)?? Arrrgh choices!!
10/10/2012 at 22:53
Wow, I so want to go and see Shrek!!! Might have to have a weekend in London. It's only 90 mins on the train from here so no excuses really. Gutted about the one second, Lotte, how annoying! Still, I think I could probably only do that pace for 100m My mile PB is 7.15, LOL!

Hmm, decisions, decisions, Camlo...I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to my running shoes and daren't deviate from my Asics. Had a pair of Brooks once and they crippled me!

Karen, that reminds me, I need to get my light box out too. It is my saviour once the mornings start getting dark.
10/10/2012 at 23:00

Thanks all for your replies. I'll try to find the thread on the general runners section. I've been looking at baby joggers, but it's confusing cos they're not all suitable for jogging! It's a strange and confusing world on the other side of parenthood!

10/10/2012 at 23:22

Found the recent jogging pram thread here "baby-jogging" if anyone else is looking.

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 23:24
10/10/2012 at 23:26
How often do you need to replace orthotics Lotte?

JG we have been in the house 6.5 yrs and I've cleaned the oven once............the rest of the house is cleaner I promise!

Karen it wasn't the oven wizard, it these guys http://www.ovencleaninglondon.co.uk/Oven-cleaning/?gclid=COHw9d2997ICFRPLtAod4HcA-A

And they charged ??85 for double oven, (1 normal size, 1 half size) hob and extractor. They subcontract out so the guy who turned up was a diabetic Bulgarian grandpa in his Volvo! We shall have a competition, who can resist heating the house for longer. Last night I had a hot water bottle for the first time, but tonight I have been in the pub rather than sitting at home getting cold so I don't feel the need.

So I have pretty much made up my mind not to run till after Xmas, and then see how things are. I think my back and pelvis are pretty bad but I was in denial, and hoping it would go away....ha ha. Plus I wanted to run in the nice weather, now it's winter and dark it's easier not to. Plus I am walking 10 miles a wk just on the school run, without doing anything else so it's not like I'll be doing nothing.
11/10/2012 at 07:27
Boo to tight Achilles Camlo

Fab parents evenings all round

Caro might join you in hibernating at this rate!

Buggies - I had a baby jogger but no good for every day. A Quinny Speedi was my every day buggy, I know some people run with them, personally I wouldn't. Hope that helps!

No experience with DVDs sorry!

Hi Tatty! Good to see you! Hope work calms down.

Lotte - what a frustrating session. Especially to be one second off... Still, you never wanted to be a 1500m runner did you?

Oven,hmm, yes mine would certainly appreciate some Oven Pride... brilliant stuff if you can get it and don't want to pay lots for someone to to it.

I slept through! Woo hoo! Had a restless moment at 4 am but went back off. Everything hurts this morning though and peak flow is really low, but I did miss a dose of ventolin and at least my pain killers can go four hourly again during the day. Think it could be as I had co-codamol and they work like sleeping tablets for me, not one for the day!
11/10/2012 at 08:07
Still lurgified so no work. Tried to get up but legs are wobbly! Ah well, day of bad telly and chatting for me Got loads of marking to do but that won't help my recovery!

JT, that's great news! Nothing worse than not sleeping on top of being poorly. Co-codamol are amazing. Well, apart from the bunging up effect that they have...still, I guess if you're only having one dose a day it's not an issue?

I am curious about orthotics. I have flat feet too and overpronate quite badly (everyone laughs at me because I walk at ten to two, if you know what I mean!). I had a pair of off the shelf ones about 10 years ago and knocked 5 minutes off my 5 mile PB when I ran with them! But then I stopped using them (can't remember why). How do people go about getting them prescribed? Is it a podiatrist and can I just find one privately?

Time to see if I can move from my sickbed and make some breakfast
11/10/2012 at 08:36
Rant alert

T phoned at 8 to ask for doctors number. E 'up all night', shallow, rasping breathing. Pain in 'tummy' - which is chest. He then phones back. Gp appt at 1130 so he will be taking her to nursery and picking her up at 11. Wtaf?!?!?!?! He said 'I need to go into work'. I was shocked. Anyway I offered to have e and he picks her up at 11 - I have calls today 11-4. He said 'no need. She will be fine'. FFS. Last time she had these symptoms she nearly ended up in hospital... And he is sending her to nursery so he can go into work for 90 minutes. Twat.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.