Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

36,921 to 36,940 of 45,775 messages
29/01/2013 at 14:12

Ankle/foot thing seems to be abating but niggles seem to just keep moving around  so I am just stretching, rollering, icing on various bits for the moment. Main dull ache seems to be just below my heel currently. Metatarsal ached yesterday but then realised it was probs from my MBK session and the clip-in pedals.  Anyways, I did three VERY slow miles on the dreadmill and it felt OK but def not 100 % right.  Think will try another three tomorrow and see.  If it's not sorted in next few weeks then need to start considering this years race plans  

And now I have some wierd sore patch in roof of mouth - can only assume I burn't it on hot cuppa or something - is like a dark red line across roof, was bleeding though, only noticed it as throat was randomly sore but I don't feel ill so thought I'd have a look!   Will give it until tomorrow to see if it's easing otherwise off to Docs I guess. I am so NOT going near google with that . Gargling with salt water best for that I guess.

29/01/2013 at 14:17

mini nightmare in Pilates class this morning. General discussion about footpaths and rights of way (and the lack of them in Scotland). My English friend commented she thought it made life harder to go exploring, I said it was easier, and my Scots friend ... very jokingly I might add, said that "if we didn't like it we knew where we could go..."  Now I took it as a joke and we continued with class etc but my other friend clearly took it to heart, feeling it was anti-English and stormed out at the end, REALLY upset  ... sigh ... not what you need is it?  Whilst I take her point that it's not something you might wish to say in jest, the other lady has a dry humour and says it like it is, and will equally accept that back. OH JOY!

Edited: 29/01/2013 at 14:18
29/01/2013 at 14:28
EF, so tough for you. I know I was absolutely set on having the amnio until we had the nuchal fold scan and then wavered and couldn't then do it after another scan. I don't recall the actual odds now but they were not as good as I had hoped. We just got comfort from there being no visible markers. I have managed to not stress over it but guess until we see the little fella we still don't know.

Had slight bleeding this morning, gulp! Never had that with Max....
29/01/2013 at 14:43
TT - hope the bleeding has stopped. Have you let someone know? Ths near the end you should probably get checked out I think. Hope your leaky floor gets sorted - definitely not the kind of extra hassle you need at this point.

CC - oops, hope they make friends again! Hope the niggle settles. Are you doing the sdw again?

Right, must get ready to go to school. Am rather tired - fed O at 1.30, then again at 4.30, and then she didn't go back to sleep until about 6.30, and I had to get up about 7 to get things sorted so we were all out of the house on time. Am supposed to be going to choir tonight - yawn! Might try and make it through half the rehearsal and come home.
29/01/2013 at 15:24

Firstly don't think I have said well done to the two nutters Really enjoyed reading your report RF and Camlo I get the feeling you might be the only tough guy ever on this thread. Not some thing that appeals to me for sure! Great stuff.

Oh dear CC to the mouth, friends falling out and the continuing niggles hope things improve. Really hope tomorrows run all feels good.

Real bummer on the flooding TT. Not what you need just now for sure.

EF (()) can't really offer any advice. I am a stick my head in the sand and hope everything turns out for the best kinda girl which is not where you are. I do love your honesty though and the others are right, you say what we would all be thinking.

Yawn Vixo. Hope you get some more sleep tonight.Sure you will perk up when you get out alone for choir!

MM - hope the money situation improves soon. Ours has been dire since overspending at Christmas. I am so glad the end of the month is here as I am fed up trying to juggle  money and ended up putting a £200 grocery shop on my bloody credit card a couple of days ago.

No I don't really intend to go much higher with the mileage. Some days it feels like all I do is run, can't see I could fit in more and I think my body is on the edge to be honest. I have lost weight recently and am not sleeping well at the moment. Night sweats and weird dreams. Still feel keen to run and haven't lost my mojo but I def need to take what I eat more seriously and try to get more sleep.

Did 5 miles at 5am this morning so I could be home before my birthday boy woke. Dylan is 11 today. Then I went out and did a harder session while twins were at nursery. Did 11.5 miles with w/u, c/d and 3x15mins hard with 10 mins easy. Found it really hard as very undulating and windy but all 3 of the15min efforts averaged just between 10k and HM pace. Feel really tired now. Running is fast is so much harder than running long.

Major excitment in the air here today as it is the town Up-Helly-A' day. Our annual Viking fire festival which celebrates the coming of the lighter nights. Woo hoo. Viking parades and bands all day and then the torchlit procession at night with over 1000 guizers (all men) dressed up in squads. After the procession the squads spend the night touring the 10 local halls and perform their acts and drinking dancing and eating. The women all go to the halls and it is just a brilliant night. Sounds very sexist but just traditional. The country UHA have both men and women in the squads. Anyhow its kind of hard to explain.http://www.uphellyaa.org/  if you want to know more!

I am off to a hall for the first time in many years. We will get to the hall at 9.30pm and then party all night, it doesn't finish until the last squad has been to every hall which is usually after 8am. We are planning to get the service bus home at 9.15am - gonna be a long night. Especially since I was up at 5am! I'm thinking of it as good training for my 24 hour race good practice on my pacing technique, although I mean alcohol intake! Tomorrow all schools are shut to allow everone to recover. My hubby is a star as he is not bothered about going out so staying home with 7 kids (includes our nephew!).

Right better get on and ice the birthday cake before the kids get home from school.

29/01/2013 at 16:39
Yes not sure I have congratulated the nutters either! Get confused with here and fb if am honest! Fabulous effort. I have no intention of doing either type event so nice to live them through you fab girlies!

I double day 3 times a week cc. Sometimes 4 times. I always have one rest day a week though that's my one coping mechanism and I run pretty easy on non speed days. So today easy 5 and tonight will be hills 8 times 3 min long hills. Hard session but fab. Usually about 9 miles when done. Ran 8 and 6.5 yesterday, 15 tomorrow, 6-8 and 7 with 5 miles at mp on Thursday. Rest Friday, 8 miles easy sat and 20 on Sunday. Big week! Girls (mums) night on Friday so hoping am recovered for Sunday!
29/01/2013 at 17:02

It seems like 5 minutes agop that it was your pyromaniac viking festival last yr Lotte! Look forward to seeing pics later.

CC - I know at the end of 5 yrs in Glasgow I was pretty fed up of the constant anti english jokes.  All meant in jest, but after the zillionth it does get a bit tedious - maybe it was just the zillionth and one for your friend!

29/01/2013 at 17:29

I think my friend was also having a bad day, she's the one who's eldest has cancer so whilst she is always very cheery and upbeat on the outside ... you can NEVER tell how she is on the inside, I guess today was a not so upbeat day!!!

I can honestly say that I've never been on the receiving end of it up here, but I will say I came in for a fair amount of 'gentle jesting' when I was doing my Pilates course from a few members of the group. Not wishing to offend anyone with the observations, but it seems to be the Glaswegians especially that feel the need to do the needling - you've gotta laugh really haven't you, especially when you think how scattered the English, Scots, Irish and Welsh are about this fair isle and how in reality we all do live amongst each other.

Back later. Need to get tea finished ready for Pilates class no. 2, hopefully with no domestics!!

29/01/2013 at 17:48

Lotte, don't know how you do it, I would be asleep by 8:00 tonight, let alone 8:00 tomorrow morning.  Hope you have a great night though and look forward to seeing some photos, especially of you in a dress (assume your FB appeal was successful).

CC - nightmare to the run-in this morning, hope harmony resumes soon.

Large area of wooden floor ripped up yesterday, 2 holes jack-hammered into floor underneath, leak fixed, then another leak found under garage floor, more holes and a whole day of plumber time - not sure how much we will be able to claim on insurance either, grrr.

Was only very tiny amount of bleeding in the end and has stopped now.  I have a scan and appointment tomorrow so will leave until then, also supposed to register at hospital tomorrow too.  Guess I should pack my hospital bag now.....  I have to say, it did shake me a bit as I'm so totally not prepared for this to start naturally, with Max it was all to schedule!

29/01/2013 at 17:59
EF, so tough for you. I know I was absolutely set on having the amnio until we had the nuchal fold scan and then wavered and couldn't then do it after another scan. I don't recall the actual odds now but they were not as good as I had hoped. We just got comfort from there being no visible markers. I have managed to not stress over it but guess until we see the little fella we still don't know.

Had slight bleeding this morning, gulp! Never had that with Max....
29/01/2013 at 18:00
Sorry, iPhone gremlins.
29/01/2013 at 18:31

Lotte - UHA sounds so much fun ... did you find a dress?? and the lighter evenings are defnitely worth celebrating, can definitely notice a change now for sure. J is doing about the vikings at school at the mo. Happy Birthday Dylan. That's quite a day you've crammed in there with some speedy running. I guess the disturbed sleep etc all points the finger at over-training, so best get that food sorted out!!

Although I'm a fine one to speak and go through phases of eating fantastically and phases of CBAs.  Not helped by the fact that these days I am not as hungry as I was perhaps a year ago, even when running the higher mileage. Prob explains why I've lost over half a stone since the summer ...

Vixo - that is not a quality night is it? Hope you get to choir as I expect it would be some pleasant me time. My dad sings with his local choir, they are singing at The Lighthouse in Poole in the spring and are working hard on a piece - Sea Symphony by Vaughn Williams. He LOVES his choir.

Good luck with that mileage then MM, can see how providing you keep easy EASY then you can probably balance on that knife-edge! I know that is where I let myself down, I always feel I am not running enough miles and consequently do what I DO manage, too fast!!

TT - hope the bleeding is nothing serious and has stopped now.

Hope CM is surviving the massive vomits that seem to be plaguing her house!!

MM - I too get confused about what I've posted where

29/01/2013 at 20:18

Well done to the mad racers - definitely not something I'm likely to be doing!

Lotte - have a great night you party animal!

CC - that's a shame that your friend got wound up, hope it all blows over.

EF - not sure what to suggest, we never had the nuchal fold looked at with our pregnancies so the worry was always in the back of my mind.  Hope you can find reassurance that your odds really are very low despite not being the same as your sisters.

I had a camera stuck up my nose today to look at my vocal chords (what fun!), I still have laryngitis basically, that's 2 months worth!  Anyway my voice does seem to be getting a bit better as the only advice I got was to drink lots of water and was prescribed some antacids and a referral to a speech therapist.  Not sure what to make of it all really!!

29/01/2013 at 21:20
Lotte hope you're enjoying yourself. My other half thinks "hangover day" when they close the schools is a great idea!!

T tid hope the bleeding has stopped and you are ok.

Thanks for all the supportive words. I still feel a bit dejected, not because I think it's a huge risk but I feel like a bit of spark went out of me as it's the first bit of news this preg that hasn't been just everything and more that we wanted. And frankly I feel like I deserve that! I'm pretty sure we'll just roll with it as reality is risk is v v small but I no longer feel excited and can't face thinking of names or sorting out the spare room. Hey ho I dare say time will heal!!
29/01/2013 at 21:25
The anti English stuff does my head in too. An occasional joke is ok but some folk can never let up on it.
29/01/2013 at 21:26
Now read post t tid. Glad stopped.
29/01/2013 at 21:28
Sorry I'm on phone so keep seeing bits I didn't see earlier - camera up nose sounds awful Kinsey!
29/01/2013 at 22:09
Hubby had camera up nose a few yrs back when they discovered his paralysed vocal cord, which rapidly progressed into ct, MRI and chest rads to make sure he didn't have a tumour growing on one of the nerves....he didn't! Just idiopathic unilateral laryngeal paralysis. He also was referred for speech therapy, but then it miraculously got better, although he maintains he can no longer sing. I maintain he could never sing in the first place!

Just back from Pilates....I can never do those damn side lying lifts.

New job tomorrow.........first day of paid work in about 14 months. I'm hoping the computer system will be the worst thing my brain has to cope with!
29/01/2013 at 22:13

good luck caro! 

29/01/2013 at 22:19

Well done the nutty nutters - enduronuts that you are!

Good luck Caro.

Uuuggh Kinsey, how will the water and antacids help?

EF - totally understand. How about a vent/rant/moan over a cuppa Friday night when you come to pick Lou up?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.