Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

36,941 to 36,960 of 47,084 messages
12/10/2012 at 09:00
Thanks Vixo, you've confirmed what I knew already I think. Patience doesn't tend to be my strongest point! My peak flow has dropped off this morning and today is the last full day of steroids so I'm going to check that I should be reducing if that makes sense. Hubby getting anxious which doesn't help as that's made me feel properly ill! Glad you had a good night. I love Manchester. Can't beat the curry on Wilmslow Road!
12/10/2012 at 09:06

Hope you start feeling better soon JT. Sounds horrid.

Hello Tatty and RB! Waves...were wondering where you both were. Hope something crops up on the job front. Hows the running going RB?

Just a quickie as heading out to the playgym in ten minutes. Just thrown a mini strop as I have no clothes that fit me. Vest tops are riding higher at the bottom and my jeans are struggling to do up. Not a good look. Time for some maternity/bigger clothes I think. That has decided it, I go shopping after my run while L at pre-school.

Will be back later to catch up properly.

12/10/2012 at 09:31
JT - I think your peak flow will vary during the day, and probably from day to day as well, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The consultant obviously felt relatively reassured that you were on all the right treatment and didn't need nebulisers or a change in inhalers, so I would try and be reassured by that. Personally, I would try and get off the steroids as if you stay on them too long you need a much slower reduction, and a you've found, they have lots of side effects! Ideally you should be doing virtually nothing and just letting all this settle down, but obviously with 2 small children that just isn't possible, so it will take a while for you to feel better and for all the symptoms to settle down. Imagine that all your airways are really red and inflamed, and are going to take time to repair themselves - every time you're outside in the cool air, or try and exert yourself, the inflammation gets a bit worse again. Really hope you start to feel better soon.

Boring boring lecture on diabetes - should have chosen on of the other session! But we had a lovely breakfast at our hotel, and it's quite nice to wake up and come to the second day of the conference without a hangover!!
12/10/2012 at 10:10
Thanks Vixo. That's really good advice and makes,me think about it in a different way . been given antihistamines to try and sort cough, but everything else to stay the same. Am fairly relieved not to have more steroids. On the plus side the crackles have pretty much cleared so I'm definitely going in the right direction maybe for the placebo effect of that it was worth going!

Hope the lecture improves!

Anj - enjoy shopping.

Back to knitting then
12/10/2012 at 11:02

I'll text you next week after you arrive Lotte and see whether we can fix a time for me to pop round to your campsite. Is your number still the one ending 1449?

Hi Angelicals. Running is fairly rubbish at the moment - had injuries to both achilles tendons over the summer but I think I'm getting over it. However, I still have no speed OR endurance, which is a bit worrying!

I hope the Australia thing falls through MM. I can see why your hubbie might enjoy it but it would be so hard on you.

MR If you have orthotics you would normally take out the existing foam insoles to make room for them.

What's all this about paying people to clean your ovens? I must be missing something - just a quick squirt from Mr Muscle and a bit of scrub every now and then does me fine - but then I'm probably just a slob.

12/10/2012 at 13:09
Oh try oven pride rb, you put the shelves in a bag with the liquid and they come up like new . I've been at home too long, I'm getting excited about clean ovens :-S wish I'd known you live so close to Crystal Palace, we stayed at the caravan site when I did the marathon.

Lotte - just a thought, you'll need rock pegs for the awning. The ground is beyond hard and covered in grey chippings that get everywhere! The Park Run there looked great though, I ended up in the middle of it the day before the marathon when doing my 2-3 mile easy run the day before.
12/10/2012 at 14:10
RB mine would have taken more than a quick squirt with mr muscle! Given that it took a professional 3.5 hrs I dread to thnk how long it would have taken me! I shall now try and keep on top of it!

Got a call from the school at 9.15 am- what's wrong with Matilda's eye? She got kicked during her swimming lesson last night. Well f there's any discharge we'll have to send her home as it could be an infection. I assure you it's not an infection, it's trauma, which is why their is a big bruise. Fortunately they didn't call again or I would have been mad!
12/10/2012 at 14:16

But what about the walls and floor of the oven JT?

Some shocking news stories over the past few days showing how you can get away with all sorts of wrongdoing if you are part of the establishment: Jimmy Savile, South Yorkshire Police, Lance Armstrong. I really wanted to believe that Lance Armstrong was innocent but I coudn't have guessed at the extent of the web of deceit that he was the centre of. It's about time he finally fessed up like his former teammates. I hope he is tried for perjury, made to pay back the £3.1m he took from the insurance company for winning five tours de france and sent to jail. It's such a pity that Jimmy Savile isn't alive to see his public reputation torn to shreds by the emerging truth. And I hope that the weasle cops who covered up the Hillsborough truth are brought to justice. Rant over!

12/10/2012 at 14:21
I completely agree rb. Very sad state of affairs on the news at the moment.

My oven has sides that don't need cleaning so only the bottom to deal with. Oven pride has it sorted
12/10/2012 at 14:23
Oh and Caro, sounds like an overly cautious individual there. Wasn't one of the teaching assistants was it? They tend to be a nightmare in those circumstances, especially if they're menopausal! We have one who was also a nursery nurse in hospital, the parents must despair!
12/10/2012 at 16:09

Hi RB *waves* nice to hear from you! How is Mrs B?

Read this earlier and have since done school run so forgotten most of it!

Grr to T, CM, glad he saw sense.

JT - I'd get excited about a clean oven too!  RB - you are quite the opposite, a rare breed who bothers to clean the oven regularly! 

Sounds rough what you've got JT, hope it sorts itself sooner rather than later.

My M&M order arrived`this afternoon so I've been enjoying trying stuff on . Getting a new waterproof and also ordered a couple of hooded tops and a lightweight windproof luminous green jacket.  Seem to have done a lot of online shopping since I got this job, perhaps I should wait to get paid before I spend it all .

My sister was supposed to be visiting this weekend but is probably going to cancel for the second time.  It's difficult because she has some form of depression/fatigue thing (her diagnosis seems to vary depending on which healthcare provider she's talked to recently ) so is managing to work full-time again now, but can't manage weekends away on top of it.  The bit that annoys family though is that she will happily swan off on a holiday or a free weekend away with a friend or boyfriend, then has no energy for visiting family...hard to be sympathetic sometimes but I do try!  At the moment she says she has a candida yeast infection in her digestive system somewhere so is trying to cut out sugar.  Previously she was lactose intolerant, not sure if that still applies...and has/had clinical depression.  I think to be honest she doesn't really know what's wrong with her either.

Anyway, need to give this house a good tidy-up this weekend!  The joys 

12/10/2012 at 16:11

Oh and just had that stranger talk with Sophie - she said the teacher had said not to talk to strangers, so S was questioning whether she should talk to the other children in the playground as they were strangers (who incidentally were the firework kids from the other day!)!  Found that one hard to explain !

12/10/2012 at 19:18
RB in the summer my sister mentioned that there was talk about Paula and doping........given that her marathon record had stood for so long and no one has come close. Now I don't even want to even begin to think that that could ever be true.........
12/10/2012 at 20:29
JG - forgive my nosiness, but how many sisters do you have? There are obviously several people who pst on your fb who are sisters, or sisters in law (some with a cool surname!) but I can never work out how they all fit together! Do feel free to not answer that by the way, have realised it makes me sound like some slightly odd fb stalker, which I promise I'm not!

So, EF or other slow cooker peeps, if I make the Jamie Oliver stew recipe, do I need to reduce the amount of liquid (am sure I read somewhere that you don't need as much in a slow cooker, but may be imagining it), and how long should it cook for? I usually use shin of beef for stews as it's cheap, but I cook it for at least 4 hours in the oven or it's not tender enough. The slow cooker has an auto warm, cool, or hot setting, and it says use auto warm as standard as it heats to the right temperature and then keeps the food warm until you want it - although I have no idea how it knows when it's hot enough! My brother and his girlfriend are coming to stay tomorrow night so I thought I might use it, but don't want to end up with a disaster!
12/10/2012 at 20:45

Vixo - happy to clarify!  I have 2 sisters and a brother but only my sisters are on FB, plus my brother's wife (my sister-in-law obviously!).  My SIL is French so might explain her appalling grammar and spelling  and my big sister (I'm the youngest) is the one who is generally rude and derogatory, although we do actually get on very well in "real life"!  Oh and the one with the cool surname is the unmarried one, therefore my maiden name .

Probably says something about how often I post on FB !

I have a slow cooker but pretty much guess every time so not the best person to help!  Everything comes out good though.  Mine is 6-8 hours on the higher setting or 8-10 hours on the lower setting, so I try to go for the longer one if I have time.

12/10/2012 at 20:46

Can't believe anyone would even think that, Caro, Paula is a legend!

12/10/2012 at 20:59
Vixo I did the jools Oliver stew in my new slow cooker the other day and the veggies were still Under cooked after 10 hrs! So I think I would cut them smaller than she suggests and yes use less liquid. I also thin I should have brought the mixture to the boil on the slove first before bunging it in the cooker, as it does use a lot of wine which is obviously stone cold when you put it in. Tonight we had slow cooker chicken and lentil curry which was nice, and tomorrow we have friends over and I have a brisket of beef that I'm going to do, just with onions, bay leaves and sme Guinness.....never cooked a big piece of beef in it before so hope it is nice!

Have made panacotta as the pudding for tomorrow, the recipe said it makes 6 but its made far more so I have enough panacotta to sink a battle ship! Was also organised and made mac cheese for the kids on wed and froze it, only to then find out that the daughter doesn't like things with sauce......well it's made, I'm not making anything else, so she can eat it or eat toast!

Time for have I got news for you.
12/10/2012 at 21:16
Mmm, slow cooker things Yes, definitely use less liquid - a goulash recipe I use has 300ml of stock to 650g of beef. I think I do that for about 9-10 hours. Panacotta sounds good too - send some this way if there's any spare!

JG, we were wondering about when to have the conversation about strangers too. LOL at Sophie's response! Such a difficult one to explain.

JT, glad things seem to be getting better - keep resting though And LOL at the menopausal TA!!!!! That did make me chuckle.

Happy shopping Anjelicals!

Back to work today - still feel a bit rough but functioning reasonably well. It is really weird now my head of dept is back - I am finding it quite hard to let go of the extra responsibility... And because he is notoriously disorganised, I am worried that stuff isn't going to get done and then he is going off on paternity leave in a few weeks - so then Muggins here will have to pick up the slack. Oh well. On the bright side, I have less to do in the meantime

John-Paul's birthday party tomorrow (3 weeks after the event!). He is very excited, not least because he has a Yoda cake!

Happy weekends everyone
12/10/2012 at 21:39
We had a Yoda cake too tatty! You obviously have some of those Tas too Glad you're on the up and must be really hard to let the strings go...

Vixo - I'm fairly certain mine is 400ml max liquid. I got a recipe book from Lakeland which has some good recipes in but I'm sure it's cheaper elsewhere! Thanks for the advice earlier, I have behaved myself no-one else had explained it so sensibly, it now makes sense!

Jg - I would find that frustrating too...

Not going there on Paula.... Nooo!!
13/10/2012 at 08:47
So hubby's doing the cardiff half tomorrow, he's currently giving me a lecture on the fact he doesn't need to think about nutrition or carb load and definitely doesn't need breakfast. It's his second half with a four year lay off. And breathe....
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.