Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,021 to 37,040 of 43,682 messages
20/09/2013 at 13:17

Lol Hoggle, yes u made that sound quite easy CC, 

almost thought 'I can do that'. Then remembered how sore I felt at 25miles 

of last marathon I did.

20/09/2013 at 19:17

Thanks Hoggle  Feeling much better today and Nicky has been an angel!  Did do the cover work this morning in the end and really enjoyed it.  Now for Thai curry and to read CC's report .

20/09/2013 at 19:35

Wow I am so in awe of you ultra runners!  Amazing effort CC 

21/09/2013 at 17:41

Well done CC! Great read too.

Rest up, JT - don't let that take hold x

Got to go and clean the ipad. JP has been using it after eating a sticky sweet!!

21/09/2013 at 20:41

Oh shall read your report in a mo CC! Look forward to it.

my iPad is always a bit dirty Tatty!

JT - look after yourself. Good news on the buggy buying & catching up with an old friend

I"ve been catching up with an old friend these last couple of days, it's been so lovely

21/09/2013 at 20:48

having girly chats & reminiscing about our travels! She is originally from Birmingham but now lives in Perth, Australia. We met 13 years ago on a minibus travelling between Thailand & Malyasia! She is a paramedic so we always have a laugh about her work etc.  It was just a flying visit as she was at a wedding in Stirling & is now back in B, ham until Monday when she flys back to Oz.  Was fab though we manged to squeeze in a wee 3 mile run this morning, great to run with someone. Just fab.

ah well, nice memories!!

stopped of in new look & treated my self to some black skinny jeans & a cosy, hairy jumper!!! Got a couple of things for the girls in the next sale also. Although I really don't think my legs suit skinny jeans, too chunky!

im not impressed as have put on the weight I lost last year cos eating too much rubbish, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

22/09/2013 at 21:42

Fingers crossed the gunk stays away JT!

Had a pretty good weekend, we had a bbq on Saturday - wettest day in many months! Luckily we assumed it would be the case and could bring the outside table in to join ours and manage to seat 11 adults and 5 children. Was a bit of a madhouse but good fun! September is so so wet in Taranaki and i'm well and truly over the rain!!

Feeling really knackered at the moment and having to drag myself out of bed in the mornings. Need to catch up because its only just over a week until I'm away at Nationals (National Gymnastics Championships) for 5 days and it is truly exhausting so will need all my reserves for that!

23/09/2013 at 16:31

Just wanted to say well done again to CC and what a great race report.  You remember so much detail, I think I must wander everywhere with my eyes closed as I could never recall in as much detail as you.

JT, hope the snots stay away, not what you need.

Hoggle, how is your back now?

Very envious of you ladies with girlie catchups at the moment.  I was facetimed last weekend by my 3 good old friends (haha actually typed 'fiends'!) from university days.  We always used to get together once a year.  Was lovely to see them.  They were in our old stomping ground - Broomhill in Sheffield JG.  Felt very sad not to be there too.

Camlo, actually laughed out loud at your comment about Archie and his bell.

Mr TT has gone to California for a week or so, left very early yesterday morning.  I only booked a one way flight as I don't know yet what meetings he will have.  Hope he's back before the weekend.  Max is being very good so far though.  Poor Os has awful nappy rash at the moment, I think he's teething, red raw bum and balls .  Have been slathering him with top strength cream but he screams the place down when you change him.

23/09/2013 at 18:47

Jeez JT, do you teach 'troubled' kids or are these just the general kids at the school?

23/09/2013 at 21:58

Hey ladies. Manic here too as we move on Friday. But wanted to say fab race report CC. loved reading it. Yay to girlie catch ups, skinny jeans, new clothes & well behaved kids. Rubbish about difficult pupils/classes, gaining weight ( although I think u look fab rf!) chesty niggles, nappy rash, husbands being away , niggling knee caps and ....  Er ...... All the other bad stuff. 

Really sorry not to name check everyone. Once things are calm and settled post move ( but still pre baby I hope!) I will catch up properly.  

23/09/2013 at 22:07

Brookie, fingers crossed all goes smoothly on Friday and the little one stays put until afterwards.  Don't want to scare you but Os was 3 weeks early after Max went full term......  Keep well hydrated and let everyone else do the work, easier said than done I know.

Camlo    pirate
23/09/2013 at 22:17

Sorry girls, not been reading or posting as black clouds had caught me and the bloody cough had stopped me running. Anyhoo got anti- biotics and managed a 5 miler tonight so felt worthy enough to actually come back!!! 

Echo Brookies Yay's and rubbish's. Egg white is a good tip from JT for the sore butt. 

Will check out your link CC, not sure I can maintain the high level of training at the moment for ultras although I defo want to do my iroman one day. Boss has said she would  support me to do my masters so may spend a year or two concentrating on career again. 

Camlo    pirate
23/09/2013 at 22:18

good luck with the move Brookie!! 

24/09/2013 at 09:58

Bah humbug, lost three posts last night so will make this a short one just in case it happens again!

Good luck with the move Brookie

Ultras, long post-baby?! I like the idea that they are better than marathons. I also like the idea of walking 

24/09/2013 at 10:06

I am thinking a half marathon in June next year will be realistic - this allows for me to start back running properly by about Feb (3 months ish recovery) plus 4 months training. Or a 10k at that time if things go pear shaped. 

I really need to be running right now though! Black clouds descending big style - no more meds and JP's birthday (although a happy occasion) always brings back traumatic memories And I am fed up with comments about how big I am I guess people just don't think, but I am sooooo sensitive about my size. I know that I'm not fat (it is genuinely all baby!) but if someone says 'you look big', that is how my brain interprets it! 

Oh well. Sorry everyone, I must stop moaning!!!! smiley faces will return later when I am back from the gym.

24/09/2013 at 10:24
I'm taking advantage of a sleeping baby to finally catch up with the thread and actually type instead of just reading on the run! Things have been busy here, and the baby still isn't sleeping well so I've been shattered and very grumpy...a lot!

Caro - I did see you message ages ago about happy little soles, and I'm pleased they were helpful for you (I'm always a bit worried after recommending anything!) - I've always found her great on the phone. I really like Isabelle's shoes and she's got over the lack of decoration and seems to like them too, they just seem really light and flexible compared to her old school shoes, and she hasn't had any problem running around in them.

CC - fab race report, and amazing running. Sorry things have been tough at home, I genuinely don't know how you manage the way you do - husband and I definitely argue more when we don't see each other as much through work etc, and then that doesn't make the time together any more enjoyable. Here's hoping things get better soon!

Tatty/Camlo - sorry to hear about the black clouds. I've had a few weeks like that, and I always find that being tired makes things much much worse. Tatty - you'll get back out running I'm sure, and you just have to try and ignore the weird comments people make. I decided they were just trying to be nice and say something, but didn't realise that what they were saying might not be very helpful!!

Brookie - hope the move goes well!

JT - are you counting down the days left at work yet?! I remember this time last year I think I already I've got to think about going back

Turbo - how are your house plans coming along?

Ok, I can't remember anything else!
24/09/2013 at 10:29
Oh, I actually had a running question to ask!

So, I ran my half on Sunday as I think most of you have seen on fb, and I felt like I ran it well, even though it wasn't as fast as I though I might have been able to go. It was a hilly one, so I found my pacing really difficult - in that situation do you try and run faster on the flats/downhills, to make up for the inevitable slowing down uphill? Or just accept that you're going to be slower overall?

I had been planning to run another half at the end of november - on the edge of the new forest - but it's another hilly one, so I'm debating choosing the gosport half a week earlier which won't be nearly as scenic, but is pretty much flat as a pancake, just to see if I can run a 1.50 half. I realised that all the halves I've done have been hilly and/or as part of triathlons, so maybe it would be nice to see if I can run faster! Still ndecided though, as then I won't have any excuses!!
24/09/2013 at 13:07

Hmmmmmmmm Vixo, I"m no help as I can't even run a sub 2 hr half. Think my best time is about 2.06. Slow as a snail I am & I'm certainly not getting any faster at the moment as only running 10-15 miles a week as biking & trying to swim when I can but that's not very often due to living far away from the stinky swimming pool!!! I don't like the swim pool now since OW swimming, so noisy & think of all the germs, gross! Dying to go for a swim in the loch bout need to phone my friend to try n organise it but its always a bit of a mission! 

Brookie hope your move goes well & remember  just to direct the boxes and not lift them!!!! U can be the tea maker!!!

tatty- why do people feel the need to say that? It's so bloody annoying isn't it, grrrrrrrrr. Try to ignore the silly comments. It's a baby in there remember not fat!

camlo- hope the antibiotics are helping & wow to maybe doing masters. What's that in then???

JT - I really don't envy your teaching job at the mo, poor thing, sounds horrendous

boo to all the black clouds around at the mo, hope u escape them a bit soon. Big hugs to those that need them (((((()))))) x

Eggs on the  boil at the mo to make my salad for work tomorrow. Made soup earlier and it's the stick to your ribs kind, yummy. So will take some of that to work tomorrow and so will hubby I'm sure! Did 3.6 mile cycle with M in trailer this morning & then 4 miles on treadmill & 11 mins of high intensity exercises. Have charged my bike lights to do my first dark MTB ride of the autumn tonight.

better go loads to do..............????

24/09/2013 at 13:49

like RF a sub 2hr half is stuff of dreams for me, I wouldn't 

necessarily speed up on flat, but if training for a hilly half I would 

work on doing hill repeats, maybe alternate up and dwnhill each wk. So basically 

work on improving ur strength and speed both up + dwn hill 

so that legs don't get so trashed and can then maintain ur speed on the flat.

24/09/2013 at 18:50

Vixo, super speedy running.  I think I would be tempted to go for the flat option just to see how fast I could go, only if you think you can get the training in though, would be really disappointing to forego a pretty race if you can't stay as fit as you obviously are now.

CC - I can't believe you are slacking on your revision - you have sooo much free time every day .

Once again I take my hat off to you single and 'weeknight single' Mums, this is the first long trip Mr TT has taken since O was born and it is tough.  I stupidly decided to Os lie for a while without his nappy this morning to let the air get to his all know what happened next......bleurgh!

I decided not to try the egg white trick as I had a quick google last night and there are apparently cases if the child has an allergy where it can have a bad reaction warranting hospitalization.  I decided not to risk it!

Os is getting very keen to stand now and although he can't pull himself up yet, he will happily stand leaning on the sofa.  Chunky little monkey!

Have managed to get a sitter tonight so I can join the running group, am all alone in the office this week as well as at home so decided the adult company would be essential.  Has been raining all day though, grrr.

I think it was Vixo who asked how our house was coming on.  We are still drawing up the plans with the architect but are getting close now to a finished design.  We have verbal agreement from the bank that we will get a mortgage but they won't commit until they have seen plans and details of our builder.  We are preparing ourselves for disappointment.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.