Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,081 to 37,100 of 42,881 messages
30/09/2013 at 14:27

I also started my degree last weekend, which is 5 years part time...every other weekend. It's very full on and the anatomy needs to be learnt to such a high level, so i'm feeling very overwhelmed by it all. I'm hoping revision techniques and learning methods come back to me pretty quickly!

30/09/2013 at 14:56

i think we have been very lucky not to have worms before. wouldn't she be itchy if she had them? she isn't complaining of itching - just stomach ache (which is low down) and sore bits when weeing.

my calf thing has flared up again, anj. i think it's because i ramped up the training for cardiff, which i'm now not doing, and had scaled back on the orthotics (at podiatrist's advice) and so it started niggling again because of the increase in mileage. my back has been much better since i have scaled back the orthotics, but i just need a bit more support on the right orthotic to stop the calf issues. she's put more in now but because it's all inflamed, it's taking a while to settle down.

30/09/2013 at 16:26
CM - don't know that they always cause itching. I think I'd treat if I were you and see if the tummy ache goes away. I can't think of much else that only causes symptoms at night, and the treatment is at least quick and easy - might be worth a go?! Children waking crying at night complaining of itching or soreness is pretty much pathognomonic for worms I think (as long as they're well the rest of the time - which I know she's not at the moment, so it may well not be in her case I guess!!).

Some children often get tummy ache when they're poorly - something to do with enlarged lymph nodes in their abdomen it think (my memory of paeds is a little hazy!) - but I don't recall it being only at night. Anyway, something else to think about!

Sorry, having read that back I can see it is pretty much a garbled mess and probably not very helpful! I'd better get my thought processes more in line before I go back to work!!

I'm not at all jealous of those of you studying and doing exams. I think my anatomy and physiology is now mostly limited to the stuff I use day to day so I'm pretty sure I'd fail all the exams I once passed!
30/09/2013 at 16:49

If has mild bladder infection I'd get her drinking loads 

of Cranberry juice and also avoid blackcurrant juice. 

30/09/2013 at 20:24

yippee to PBs and super speedy racing but boo to trashed legs and injury flare ups.

I always think of worms when my kids wake in the night for 'nothing'. Treated Archie a few weeks ago as he mentioned a tickly bum one day and he defo had them in the poo afterwards. I told the teacher but they put a reminder about nits on the newsletter instead...... er they are not the same. 

Ran 5 tempo miles tonight but pulled my back lifting Archie into bed and now in agony. Stupid, stupid,stupid why do I still lift a nearly 5 yr old?? 

Hope new kitty settles ok and hope studies aren't too hard.

Nice to see you back Anj!! 

30/09/2013 at 20:42

Thanks all - esp Vixo. I think she is becoming a hypochondriac. She cried for an hour after school about a sore ear, which disappeared once we got home and hasn't re emerged. But she then told me her wee hurt again at bedtime but with a grin on her face so I think she is lying. 

JT - sounds horrendous. Look after yourself. 

J had had his first piano lesson tonight - he seemed to love it and came home and practised

30/09/2013 at 21:25

hmmm had a tickly bottom myself after that conversation so have popped a tablet too. Bet I have got them from the kids. 

30/09/2013 at 21:26

HI all - been reading but zero time to post.  Should have posted last wk when I was in America having the most lovely, relaxing, wonderful, sisterly time with big sis.  I slept so well, I really felt recharged when I left.

Well done Lotte, JG, Vixo, Ang I think for races, and any others.  Lotte you def have sub 3 in you - if you just focused on training for 26.2 miles and not 126.2 miles!!

So 2 quick ones - one regarding our dear children's behaviour......Today a mum of one of M's good friends came up to me and told me M and Anna (the trouble maker from last yr) have been calling her daughter fat.  I was MORTIFIED!  Technically it is true....but that's obviously not the point at all.  I had a quiet, calm conversation with M who at first denied it but then started chanting "fat pants" and giggling.  Anything else I can do?  I basically just said we shouldn't call anyone names about their looks at all.

Secondly - anniversary gift ideas??  Hubby is actually going to be climbing in the peak distrcit on our anniversary but I'd sstill like to give him something small.  Apparently it's sugar or iron for 6 yrs.

Did Park run on Sat for the first time in a yr.  As M now has gymnastics on a Sat am and needs the car I ran there (3.2 miles) which was a great warm up then caught the bus home.  Ran 21.14 so not a PB, but still managed 1st lady  Going back this wk to see if I can get that elusive sub 21.  

Going to do the 10k in a couple of wks, prob without Eric in tow, but there is a 1 mile fun run so I think M, Eric and I can all do that with Eric in the buggy.  I did a trial run with M yesterday just to see if it was feasable, and she did a mile in 14.22 which I thought wasn't bad at all.

Saw osteo this evening for a good clunk and glute massage.  Shall prob go every couple of months or so just to keep me in check.

30/09/2013 at 21:58

Ooh well done Lotte!

Not sure what to do about the name calling Caro, maybe have a word with the teacher and get them to read the riot act too?

Not had worms here yet but remember having them when I was little and they definitely itched!

30/09/2013 at 22:36
CM - a good sign of them getting better is when they start enjoying being ill!

Caro - you're fast, good running! Maybe you should add in that sometimes, even though something is true, you don't say it to people as it can be hurtful. I try to give examples to Isabelle in this sort of situation of things that she might find upsetting. I have no idea if it helps, but I aim to get her to agree that she wouldn't like it, and it would make her sad, if someone said something similar to her. I think it's hard because we tell them they have to always tell the truth, but then start telling them that actually sometimes they shouldn't...
01/10/2013 at 10:03

any name calling is no good - is the message i try and give. so you mustn't say someone is fat as a way of teasing them, just as you mustnt tease someone for having white skin, brown hair, green eyes, big feet etc. it's in kids' natures to tease (well, some kids anyway). so i try and move it away from 'not telling the truth' and steer it towards not insulting someone because they are different from you. they don't listen though. they're kids.

E was fine overnight. so i'm not sure it is worms. no evidence of any worm-based bottom activity either but she does tend to sort her own poos out now (yay - but sometimes ewww).

01/10/2013 at 13:35

Ah yes, JT, you can give me some of your BP . What's going on in school at the moment sounds awful for you - take care of yourself and don't feel guilty about going off early if you need to.

Caro - great running! Sub 21 is just around th corner, I am sure. Oh dear to the name calling It is very difficult to get them to understand sometimes! I would tend to go along the same lines as Vixo and get her to think about how she might feel if someone called her names. You must have been mortified!! Presents - I would go with the sugar idea and buy him some sweets

Lotte, no wonder you are sore - enjoy the rest!

Great news on the running improvements

CM, glad E is better Know what you mean about sorting out their own poos...Poor JP has had a sore bum lately (a very small haemorrhoid) He seems better now after a trip to the doc, but the post prune regime poos have been interesting to say the least! He eats plenty of fibre and drinks plenty, so I am a bit confused as to why he has had bother, but I wonder perhaps if it is hereditary as I also suffer.

sorry way TMI in previous paragraph!!

01/10/2013 at 13:37

Oh, and I appear to have accidentally entered th ballot for next year's Berlin Marathon 

01/10/2013 at 19:57

CC at my Park Run on Sat they said in their blurb at the beginning that any kids under a certain age neeed to run with an adult, and I can't remember if it was 7 or 11......I remember thinking it was quite old.

Pilates time now  -I promise not to spend the whole class gossiping!

01/10/2013 at 20:24

Caro - your break sounded fab. Enjoy pilates. Missing my pilates/gossip sessions this last couple of weeks. My instructor (friend) has gone away for another shot at IVF so fingers crossed for her.

Sorry to hear you are struggling with injury CC. It is SO hard to not run isn't it. I have resisted a run or a bike but no choice in the matter really, honestly my quads are really trashed so there is no point in trying, I just couldn't physically run yet. I will try the bike tomorrow though. Tried to do some core work today and couldn't even hold a plank as my legs were too weak! Went for a good long coastal yomp today, all on my own which was very strange. Legs def felt better after it.

Oh my your poor friend CC.

I really enjoyed the Great Glen and BaM who organise it are top guys. I would be tempted to do it again except that I would also like to try the WHW, but the problem with the WHW  is the whole support issue is just a damn faff! Yes will give you the low down for sure. I am thinking of the Highland Fling so will be wanting to quiz you on that one!

TattyB - woo hoo to Berlin. My running buddy ran it on on Sunday (3.25) but she said the congestion was a total nightmare. She loved the atmosphere, crowd support and finishing through the Brandenburg Gates but found it really very hard to set and stick to a pace. 

01/10/2013 at 21:11

I ran Berlin marathon - loved it! Although it was HOT!!! It was 27 degrees! I didn't find it too congested but that was about 4 years ago and no ballot then so maybe numbers were lower. Really great atmsphere etc!

im at Auckland airport waiting for flight to Napier. V sad to say good by to my baby for 5 days but happily hubby is  excited about his time  with Matilda! Helps that he's on holiday from his course and very relaxed! 

Worms ewwwwwwww not looking forward to that stuff.....

01/10/2013 at 21:33

I am so lucky, never had worms or nits, or any other horrible beastie 

type thing. Neither me, any of my kids or step kids and we'v only had 

1 case of nits amongst minded kids which didn't spread beyond 

the one child. And I have minded a lot of kids in the last 16 yrs. 

Both my girls always had wild hair and are nail biters so 

u would think they would have gotten both worms and nits, but no. 

I don't understand why not and why other kids get plagued by them, perfectly hygienic, well 

looked after kids. 

01/10/2013 at 22:35

JT really sounds like class from hell?  Is whole school like it or just your class?  

02/10/2013 at 20:03

What JT!  Mad!  Did you watch The Midwives this week? Tatiana was on again and it was all high dependency births, including a lady who caught her baby as it popped out when she stood up!

sounds like your class are tno much work, how odd to have so many behavioural issues.  We have 'naughty Harry' in Martha's class but to be honest he is probably not that bad!

02/10/2013 at 20:46

Cool, I would love to have a baby pop out! 

Blimey, JT - on both fronts! Can't believe that you had been discharged. Good that the midwife was on the ball to sort it out for you. I'm at clinic tomorrow so should know more about what's what. 'Frances' is currently turning somersaults and seems to have been doing so all day, so I think I have a lively one on my hands! 

Yay to hubby coming home, CC. Do you find though that you end up arguing loads in the first few days after he comes back?! It might just be me, but Ben and I always seem to rub ech other up the wrong way for a little while until we adjust back! I think I get used to doing things a particular way and then he comes along and ruins it all (and throws dirty pants on the floor etc ). I wouldn't be without him though  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.