Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,141 to 37,160 of 46,364 messages
07/02/2013 at 21:11

I can't stand Horrid Henry and was relieved J didn't seem to keen either!!! We also started on poetry with a similar book - my Puffin Book of Verse published in 1980 . I will have a browse on our shelves and see what else J was really into though.

That's my problem too on the giving blood front

07/02/2013 at 21:17
Erm, hello. I am a mum and I sometimes manage to run
07/02/2013 at 21:24
I think I've got that book somewhere CC, will have to have a look and see what Isabelle thinks.

I'm definitely not too light to give blood but it seems as though I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for years (since Sep 2010 actually!) so haven't been able to give for ages.
07/02/2013 at 21:52

in the run up to having kids we managed to travel to a few exotic places so they didn't want my blood then either!

The poetry book my kids love is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Like-This-Poem-Collection-International/dp/0140312951 which I got once I realised J was getting into it, Spike Milligans 'On the Ning Nang Nong' is a particular favourite which they love to recite top volume ... so look out Inverness Airport tomorrow evening then ... am so meant to be packing at the moment!

by 'eck ... then you fit the bill for here perfectly!! Sometimes we even talk about running 

07/02/2013 at 21:56
I'm not allowed to give blood either - they don't want your stuff if you've had it from other people
What are the rules of here?
07/02/2013 at 22:00
No rules. Introduce yourself and then pitch in!
07/02/2013 at 22:03
Ok, I'm by eck. I have a 9 year old daughter (and don't I know it!) and a little boy who will be 3 in a couple of weeks. He is classed as having "additional needs". We spend lots of time at the hospital (at least once a month). He charms the pants off everyone he meets, is very cheeky and they love each other to bits.
I started running to beat post natal depression, my daughter entered me into a 5k race for life and I kinda didn't stop...
07/02/2013 at 22:10
Welcome by'eck. We're a friendly bunch who talk about everything, sometimes even running!!!
I have three girls ages 2,6&8, all wee madams!
CC- have great time skiing ya lucky thing
Imagine swimming 3.8 Kms in loch shieldag, cycling over 200 Kms & running a marathon taking in two munros????!!!!!! Total madness methinks! The last person took 20 hrs last year...............the quickest 12 hrs
07/02/2013 at 22:11

I'm CC (Crag chick), I have an eight-year-old boy and an almost six-year-old madam. I hale from the SE of England but moved to NE Scotland 2.5 years ago and LOVE it up here even though husband mainly works in England!  Running was definitely a life-saver for me with PND and still keeps me on the straight and narrow now too.  I am a lover of all things long, trail-like and hilly but will also do whatever! Currently on the bench with an ankle/foot problem which does not bode well for 53-miler at end of April.

We encompass the complete spectrum of runners I reckon but all have the challenge of trying to fit running etc around the delights of every-day life and family. And we are a very friendly bunch.

And with that I am signing off for the night!

07/02/2013 at 22:12

Oh don't worry, I've studied the course detail with much scrutiny and STILL want to do it!! ... it's the Loch Shieldag 3.8kms which scares me the most though for sure

07/02/2013 at 22:15
That sounds insane CC! My family think I'm mad for entering NDW50.
I am trying to wean moo (my little boy) onto something other than Timmy Time or "that's not my...." books. How on earth do they cope with the same story 4 or 5 times a day?
07/02/2013 at 22:20
Welcome! I have 3 small people, all girls - nearly 5, 19 months and 7 weeks. Some of us (well, them really!) talk about serious running stuff, and the rest of us blather on about our lives, children, husbands etc, and generally enjoy the gossip an support. A lot of folks have been posting here for quite a few years, but we've got some more recent newbies too, and some of us have met up over races as well.

I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall this evening. Isabelle has been pushing all the buttons today - I'm there with you Caro! - and the lack of sleep is catching up a bit. I feel like I need to try and get O to sleep properly in the evenings but I haven't quite got the energy at the moment - and I do quite enjoy having a bit of quiet cuddle time with her as she already seems so much bigger than 7 weeks ago. I'm certainly looking forward to the weekend as my husband was working last weekend so it will be nice to have some proper family time (and some childcare help!!).
07/02/2013 at 23:11

Welcome Lanky Liz and by'eck - as Vixo says, lots of chat and gossip on here with some running chat thrown in for good measure. Can hardly believe that it's been nearly 3 years since I first introduced myself on here after graduating from the pregnant runner's thread - my, how time flies! I have 3 girls; 3 yrs, 5 yrs and 9 yrs and I plod along with my running, not particularly fast but I enjoy it

Vixo - I did the same with Anna and only started a bedtime routine for her when hubby insisted at around 6 weeks that she needed one. He was right of course but I could have happily left it for a bit longer just to get those extra cuddles in - I'm so broody hearing about newborns, love 'em!

Caro - it's the Waltham Forest half otherwise known as the KNI Borough Run that I'm thinking of doing. I just checked the website and looks like they do have chip timing after all but no medal  (t-shirt instead). I also found out recently that there's a big hill (by my standards anyway) around mile 10 - ugh, I hate hills, I'm such a wimp. Jury still out on whether to do it or not but I'm loving the training either way - fartlek 5 tomorrow, can't wait.

So I ordered myself a new Garmin this week after the other one went walkabouts. Am taking bets on how long it is before the old one turns up although will be really miffed if it does . I actually suspect I may have accidentally thrown it in the bin, as think I may have put it in a carrier bag which I think was then left in the kitchen. Oh well, have got an upgrade out of it as getting the 410 and only had the 305 before.

Funny to hear you all talking about chopping hair off as I'm still in the process of doing the exact opposite since cutting mine off a couple of years ago and realising short hair made me look like my mum - aaarrrgghh, no thank you

As for kids and their reading I don't think we'd ever struggle to find books for the kids to read no matter what level they were at as we have literally hundreds of kids books in our house, my girls do all like a good story.

Right, best get to bed as girls have been unusually restless and up in the night quite a lot this week. Poor hubby is shattered as he always does the getting up when I'm working, but no work tomorrow so it's down to me tonight. Night all!

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 23:13
08/02/2013 at 06:42
Hi by'eck, my eldest Martha is nearly 5, Aidan is 3 and Benedict is almost 8 months.
Vixo, bed time was easier with B, he started going down in the evenings at about 12 weeks. I am having issues with him waking far too regularly at night still but he's not getting fed now unless its 4am in which case I class that as morning! So he's going 9 hours between feeding but still waking at least twice. Can't wait to get past this stage!
RF, I am still hanging on to the arm of a pair of Oakley sunglasses that I finally found but I am pretty sure I threw the rest of them away n the end as it took me about 2 years to find the 'lost' arm!

I might try to go for a run this weekend, my laryngitis is finally letting my voice get a bit more normal but its been 10 weeks so far! We are moving on the 21st so it would be nice to do an old route before I have to find sme new ones!
08/02/2013 at 08:00
We're getting a new kitchen in a couple of weeks. It will mean being without heating as well because the boiler is being moved. Any tips for surviving?
08/02/2013 at 08:25
survival tip for living without heating would be to take the kids and book myself into the nearest hotel.... (mother in laws probably). I have 3 boys (eldest 22yrs, Tom nearly 6 and Archie 4) I have no parenting skill, no patience and no shame but I do have plenty of mad ideas, a desire to run (usually away from kids/stress) and the ability to eat a whole box of quality street in one go (last night bleugh, oops).

I found my garmin under my drivers seat and found hubby's oakleys in the pocket of the baby carrier as I was about to sell it.

Sleep deprivation - no thanks, I have been suffering for months since bedtime crept past midnight but last 2 nights I have been tucked up by 11 again- much better!

still not sure on hair style..... an going to spend all morning looking at people's heads.....
08/02/2013 at 08:38

by 'eck - i had a new kitchen when my son was 2 and i was pregnant with my daughter. i washed up in the bath; took the microwave into the lounge and used a camping stove in the hallway. lots of toast, frozen meals that i'd cooked previously defrosted in the microwave with microwavable rice and frozen microwave veg. moved fridge into hallway as well.

08/02/2013 at 08:40

No heating would be my idea of hell! I hate being cold...thermals?! Hi By'eck... I have 1 daughter who is 4 and a new baby due any day now. I dont do the distances some do on here, but use running to stay sane and get my "me time" Looking forward to getting back to it, I stopped about 6 weeks ago.

Ha ha to no patience and shame and quality street Camlo!!

That Iron Man sounds nuts. I don't think my body would get through the training, but looking forwards to following yours CC and RF!

Lovely cold, crisp day today so getting out for some air after staying in after gym and dropping L at preschool yesterday and getting my head down with my assessment. 

08/02/2013 at 08:40
Hi to the new peeps, I am Tt or Tangy, used to b TT but we have another TT (TurboTid) now so can get confusing.

I have 2 girls 4 + 16 and 2 stepkids 22 (daughter)+ 25(son). Am also a childminder looking after 6 other kids throughout the wk. I live in central Scotland. My main but not only motivation for running is weightloss, have lost 58lb so far but bn fighting to lose the next 40lb, keep losing half a stone then putting it back on then repeat. Bn running on and off for 10yrs, started to lose weight, reached goal weight then slowly gained it all back + more when had my 2nd daughter, so keep on plodding on.

So I am probably one of the slowest ones on here, although start 17wks of marathon training next wk so hope to rectify some of that.

On the no heating recommendations I'd say lots of layers, never sit dwn, keep active, bring ur duvet into living room if want to watch telly + share it with at least one other person.

Pelvic floor, mine has always bn ok, but it was not good for 1st 3-4months after birth + that was with no stitches needed after either of my daughters births. So I wouldn't b too concerned after only 6wks. Just stick on a pad or try the mooncup for another month or so. I try to remember to do my pelvic floor exercises after I go for a wee.
08/02/2013 at 08:47

ah now i see it was heating. not kitchen. ffs. should read properly

i quite often have no heating as i am too tight to have it on!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.