Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,161 to 37,180 of 47,218 messages
24/10/2012 at 21:11
Hmm, not sure hoping is the right word really... Just guess it's an answer to being ill for so long!
24/10/2012 at 21:15

CM - what a fabulous report from the school though as you say it would have been nice to have had some idea before now.  You are a world away from your mum, really no cause for concern on that front!

JT - hope the doc has called and you have some more answers, is your only course of treatment ABs from here?

Kinsey, 3 hour segments of sleep, remind me why I wanted another baby? 

Camlo, life sounds especially hectic for you at the moment, hope you are managing to get some rest and also some running.  Did your chat with your boss recently lead to anything positive happening about your colleague?

JT - we have exactly those sort of battles with Max, I totally sympathise.  Really not sure whether we are just making life harder for ourselves as Max never sits and eats the same as us, except at the weekend when we had pizza!  We both know we need to give him better eating discipline but it never seems to be the right time.

Had a full scan to check heart function this morning.  Am now 23 weeks.  Was good to see him again and all looked good but nearly fainted when the bill came to $1,600!!  That was half price too!  Am definitely going to change scans from here on to doc's office instead (this was at consultants' offices) as they will  be cheaper.  Also need to try to get them less frequently.  There was absolutely nothing they were concerned about and I know I am managing my diabetes so really don't see the need.  Grrr.

24/10/2012 at 21:36
JT hope you have some good news. Is the doc calling this late?

CM- good for you and J. What a glowing report. You've done a fab job, be proud!!

CC - camping in -5? That is a serious effort! Sounds lovely though, enjoy your parents and hubby being around and I hope you get out for lots of runs.

Ouch to the scan price TT. Is there a reason you have extra scans or just for peace of mind? My next appt isn't until 28 weeks, they certainly are more relaxed 2nd time round.

With the eating, hubby and I had to change the times we ate and a lot of what we ate too so that we could all have meals together. We eat less spicy foods and salad and more things that Leila can eat too. Saying that, she fits in with what we eat too and we definitely have nice meal times and difficult mealtimes depending on what we are having! We all have an evening meal together now at 6-6.30 and it is actually really nice. It is also nice on a Friday or sat if she has dinner earlier and we have a curry or Thai later on.

Forgotten everything and only a couple of posts on page! Will read further back...

I went swimming this evening for the first time in ages and really enjoyed it. 40 lengths alternating breast stroke and front crawl. I definitely need to improve my fc if I am going to do a tri next year.
24/10/2012 at 22:03

JT - hope all okay with your phone call.

CM - great that J is doing so well!  I had my first parents evening tonight and M has settled in really well and is doing fine, all pretty much on schedule for her age, just need to practice her sounds and numbers over 10 a bit.

Meh - should be asleep.  Left my neighbour in charge of the kids and B went to sleep on her, he is pretty cute despite not letting me sleep as much as I would like!

TT - always nice to have another peek at baby but that does sound expensive!

24/10/2012 at 22:27
Doh! Appointment is tomorrow morning, not sure how I managed that!

Tt - glad all is well, ouch to the bill!

Anj - think they recommend not to do too much breastroke in pregnancy, or that might be I was told not to as as an ex swimmer I don't take it easy! A lot of freestyle issues tend to be to do with breathing. Lots of local tri clubs have excellent coaching for beginners.

Kinsey - all sounds good!
24/10/2012 at 22:35
Good thing they're cute Kinsey, I was seriously exhausted by the time Eric finally slept through, so if he hadn't been cute.........I also am glad he's cute because of the amount of grief he's caused my body, am really starting to feel like I am never gong to be pain free again. It's back to hurting just going for a walk now, all across the front of my pelvis, pubic symphysis, groin, as if I were 9 months pregnant not 8 months post birth! I am clinging on to the hope that things will improve once I stop bf but if it doesn't then I really don't now what I'm going to do. Sorry, very me me me, but am feeling a bit down.

TT, yikes!! Ouch to that bill.
24/10/2012 at 22:40

Anj, they are doing extra scans as I am 'high risk' - ie OLD and gestational diabetes.  I think it is just a money making scheme really as the general insurance policies only cover 2 scans I believe at around 12 and 20 weeks.  God bless the NHS!

Ouch Caro, hope you get some relief soon.

24/10/2012 at 22:44
TT -Eek to cost of scan!! glad baby was looking good though. chat with boss had NO effect at all, in fact today I heard they are having a desk shuffle to accommodate another person when I have no-where to go and wasn't even included in the discussions.
Kinsey - GO TO BED!!!! Does B go longer in the day without feeds? if not then making him wait a bit in the day to encourage hunger followed by a good stuffing may help with nights too. Glad parents evening went well, I always feel really nervous going- like I am being judged on my parenting!
Anj/ JT - could the breast stroke legs be a bit too much pull on the pelvis while preg?
JT guess hoping for whooping cough would be a little wierd but as you say at least you would have a reason and not just be classed as a hypochondriac!!
Anj - we try and eat together like you, make meals family friendly with add-ons to suit so salt on hubby's only and extra ketchup on kids! I did a paper at uni once about eating habits for a sociology module so value good habits.
24/10/2012 at 22:46
(((((Caro)))) keep your pecker up. how much more BF'ing are you planning?
24/10/2012 at 23:02
Yes, the nhs is great really TT.

I think breast stroke is to be avoided totally if you have spd...ha, iPad tried to correct to sod!!... I do take it easy on breast stroke and don't do the legs so wide.

Nice to have another good report. Well done M! Hope you get some decent sleep.

Camlo, mealtimes are quite important aren't they? I bet that paper was quite interesting. I think it is the one time we are all together and talk with no distractions and find out about each others day. Sounds cheesy but true!!

JT, the tri clubs in Windsor seem full of scary Lycra clad people. Not sure I am brave enough to go!!

Caro, has the osteo done any manipulation or clunking on the pelvis, has she said anything about alignment?
24/10/2012 at 23:14

ONly a quick posting as really should be off to bed ... just finally finished all my homework - started at 8pm and just done! Nearly lynched hubby though as parents were watching something in main room so he decided it was fine to come and watch TV in my corner where he than sat and fidgeted, snored, at crisps, turned up sound and when I finally threw a wobbler at 10pm got all huffy when I yelled at him to go to bed. FFS - would it be acceptable for me to do that when his working from home ... I think not!! AND I let him off the hook all day today and left him home alone to sort out his mountain marathon kit, clean his car and do rest of his work - sigh ... oh, and I ran once - yesterday! DEFINITELY going tomorrow.

Right, end of rant

Caro - my pelvis etc was EXACTLY like that after I had J. I think it finally packed up big time when he was 9 months old, I'd gradually got back into the running again and foolishly ignored basic level niggles and discomfort and ended up virtually crippled (not joking) with pain in my pelvis, groin, lower back - was excruciating to walk anywhere, that was the middle of June. I was totally off running for about 6 weeks (but did LOTS of cycling - that wasn't forbidden) and then did the Great South Run off the back of the biking and a few weeks training and got a then PB!!! So I would say it IS repairable BUT at this point I had stopped bfeeding about 3 months before so Relaxin was still kicking around but on it's way out. A combo of the chiro lady I saw (did accupuncture and all sorts) and a load of rehab exercises which were working on re-awakening my glutes mainly and strengthening hip flexors (basically everything that supports you when you come out of a single leg squat) ... quote the rehab guy - if you can't do a single leg squat without wobbling around, how on earth can you expect your legs to support you on a XX distance run - ummmm - point taken!!

24/10/2012 at 23:18

mealtimes essential - absolutely - try and do it as often as possible, love sitting down MOST of the time with them and I learn sooooo much stuff that wouldn't get picked up otherwise.

CM - well done J, and no no no WAY are you like your mum! I appreciate parents can be the most critical at times but that is not the same! He does sound an awful lot like my J I have to say!!

am forgetting stuff already

Anj - good swimming. Yes breast stroke should be avoided, but I swam it all the way through both pregancies as can't do more than a length of FC without drowning!

Kinsey - really hope you get some sleep soon AND find somewhere else to live. TT - good luck with all the forms and glad all is well with baby TT II

Camlo - loved the sound of your hilly race the other day.

Parents arrival fab if chaotic and kids very happy to see them. Not done as much running as wished but I AM going out tomorrow if it kills me trying!!! Need to be up early as Lidl have snowboots this week, S's don't fit anymore and with the predictions of another winter, ones for £8.99 will do me fine!!

24/10/2012 at 23:20

I think all tri clubs consist of dodgy lycra don't they - mainly worn by long steaks of nothing or (mainly men) with waaay too much to squeeze into lycra!!

Speaking of which, my hubby has now bought some winter cycling tights - the ones with a bib - oh the joys of him strutting around the house in those last week - NOT!!

24/10/2012 at 23:21

and Camlo - I similarly dread parents evenings like you! Right bed. Am zonked!

25/10/2012 at 09:44

wow, cc - you are sooo patient. i hate other people's noises, snoring, fidgeting, even breathing sometimes.  i think i should live alone in a wood or somewhere where i don't come across other people. i am the world's least tolerant person!

hope you get in a good run today!

i am hoping that J's snowboots from last year still fit him. i must however try and find them!

i swam breaststroke all the way through my pregnancy with J - including up till the day before he was born. was doing up to a mile at a time i think without any problems. but i don't thrash it, so perhaps that's why

JT - hope the doctor has something useful to say this  morning

kinsey - don't know how you survive on so little sleep. seriously. i couldn't do it. again - i am the world's least patient person. couldn't wait for mine to sleep from 11 - 7!!

caro - glute strengthening exercises have really helped my lower back, as CC says - we need the stability and strength to keep things in line when we are running.

talking of which - i tried a run yesterday and felt dizzy and sick. FFS. and i have woken this morning with another scratchy throat and snotty nose. i am SICK of this!

however, we are off to butlins tomorrow, so at least i will have a few days of full-on stuff with the kids to take my mind off how fat and unfit i am!

25/10/2012 at 09:46

oh and i drove all the way to Neath last night to pick up some bargains i won on eBay. a barbie castle (enormous) with 5 dolls, 5 babies, a huge bag full of assorted barbie shite to go with it, horse, carriage, jeep; a barbie dressing table and a barbie laptop - for £40... guess what E will be getting for xmas

25/10/2012 at 10:14
Aaggh! Full blood count points to it not being whooping cough but that I am suffering from some form of bacterial infection. Gp has admitted she doesn't know where to go next so I'm being referred to the hospital. She couldn't tell me how long that would take. I think this is going to be something I never get to the bottom of. I've really had enough now. I just want to know what on earth is wrong with me!!!
25/10/2012 at 12:14

oh no JT. haven't you already had shedloads of antibiotics?

25/10/2012 at 13:11

oh no JT that's a mare - I was just reading about how whooping cough is at a long time high as well. 

Well done to J CM!

Hello to all.  I'm supposed to be working so back to it!

25/10/2012 at 13:35
Oh flip JT what a real pain not getting a diagnosis, so frustrating for you((((())))).
Boo to another scratchy throat but yay to butlins and J's glowing report CM.
CC- I've been to Lidyl and got snowboots for the three girls. Bargain at ??29 for all three. M's fit & will try the other two when school finishes. Fancied a pair my self but thought I better not as I have a pair of rydale boots that I wear normally but they have stretched so have to wear two thick pairs of socks in them!!
Flipping foot still just as sore so no weight bearing exercise at the mo. haven't gone to see about it.............. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Back lata x
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.