Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,181 to 37,200 of 45,825 messages
09/02/2013 at 14:23
Kids and shopping? Don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to take all 3 of mine to the shops on my own after Lily's guitar lesson today. Had to get Anna's feet measured and of course neither of the little ones listened to me and spent the whole time running around and grabbing stuff off shelves. Somehow got cajoled into buying them all nail narnish too only for Anna to open hers in the shop when I was buying them a sandwich and spill it on the floor. Then on the way home Issie jumped into the front seat of the car and started pressing buttons and I had to drive half the way home with the hazards on as couldn't find the button to turn them off! Don't know what I was thinking, you're absolutely right by 'eck, kids and shopping just don't mix!
09/02/2013 at 17:38
OMG Lotte- that sounds soooooo complicated, how do you remember it all??!!!! It's so amazing that you also fit in an early morning run & an afternoon track sesh, you are a supermum most defiantly that really is pure hard dedication!
Enjoy tonight's wine, well deserved eh
By'eck- hope the shopping wasn't too traumatic & hmmmmmmm Karen, sounds like fun.............not! Sounds like a day out with my girls! They are a nightmare to go alone shopping with. Best avoided at all costs!
Actually they are driving me nuts at the moment and it is now school hols for a week! Arghhhhhhhhhhhh help me.....
Swimming today, first time since about 3 months. Did just over a mile so chuffed with that. Mostly front crawl with the odd breast stroke length thrown in to recover. People kept on getting in my way, grrrrrrrrrr. Arms were getting tired by the end though.
Shoul have also gone for a run but couldn't be bothered, tut tut.
09/02/2013 at 17:45

First parkrun done .  Pretty slow - had hoped for 30 mins but only managed 33mins but room for improvement at least!  Didn't enjoy forfeiting my only lie-in of the weekend, but it's looking as though I'll get one tomorrow as won't be able to go out if it's snowed again .   Then spent afternoon at friend's who I haven't seen for ages since they moved house, so that was nice (plus she made yummy salads, soup and bread for lunch!).

Lotte - blimey, definitely a bottle of wine needed after your day!  Who said weekends were relaxing?!

Yes I suppose you're bound to have one weaker side and one stronger side - I guess I just worry as what seems to be my weaker side is the side I use for carrying and lifing etc. and the side I'm having problems on.

Eek to kids and shopping Karen - bottle of wine for you too .

Sophie wanted Daddy to take her swimming tonight, yeay.  She wants to show him how she can put her face in the water with goggles on.  Nice to have a night off .

09/02/2013 at 18:47
Goodness So much chatting. Welcome to newbies. I have twin boys 6 and a wee girl who is 3 in may.

Usual Saturday madness for us. Helped at beginners last night so didnt have my usual rest day bu was only 4 miles at 10 mm, which is pretty slow for me. Halo intact though!

Football training for boys at 9am. Hubbie got up and ran first then off I went so small lie in today.

Today was 22 miles. Started off slow and finished strongly. Foot ok, lots of wiggling seemed to help. So 7:55 mm for that in the end. So tired now though. Finished off moving Sophie into her new room then took kids swimming. Again good halo stuff and freezing pool so good for the legs. Harry was amazing and showed his dad 50m of each back, front and breast. He doesnt get to see them swim that often? Such a fish, maybe triathlon is what he will be good at. Mind you was a fish myself at that age.

Just about to sit and watch the muppet film with the kids. Hubbie racing in morning so me and kids till lunchtime and means my 8 miles needs to be done early. Will be 88 mile week and again I know about it.
09/02/2013 at 19:28
How on earth do you do that mileage? I'm still lucky to get a 20 mile week in
09/02/2013 at 20:14
No phone or Internet for 3 days because some moron from the national grid severed a cable many miles away from here, leaving about 6000 houses with no phone or broadband! Grrrr. Anyway, it's back now, and I have so much trashy telly to catch up on

Have read back and remember nought. Hi to newbies, I have a 4.5 yr old madam called Matilda and a sweety called Eric who will be 1 in 10 days.

Job going well, I am really enjoying it. It is so much more laid back than my old place, my confidence is back, the people are nice. I have done 2 Wednesdays in my regular place and worked yesterday in a branch
09/02/2013 at 20:16
Less than 1 mile from home so could walk to work which was nice. Hopefully a regular second day during the wk will come up, as I really need to work more than one day a wk, but it's a start and it's money!

Eric has been really sad for quite a while now, crying non stop, doesn't ant to be cuddled, doesn't want to be put down. I am putting it down to teething as his 2 top molars are coming through but we have been alternating drugs non stop and they don't seem to be making a difference. He 's sleeping ok thank god, but if it continues then I may go to the quacks on Mon just to get them to look in his ears, throat etc.

Right, time for catch up Internet telly
09/02/2013 at 21:50
Officially on holiday now ... Got kids from school at 2.30 yesterday, drove to inverness airport, flight to Gatwick 5pm, hubby meet us there, across to hotel, managed some sleep all in same room but S had us up at midnight and 5.30am! Drove to car parking, bus to airport, plane to Grenoble, coach to La Plagne. Finally at chalet by 8pm French time ... Yawn ... Shed loads of snow but Baltic temperatures. Officially no running this week, can't wait took get us on our skis tomorrow though
09/02/2013 at 22:01

Tangy, what's EMF?

Even though VLM is flat most of my training is done on undulating/hilly routes, a) because that's the terrain around here and b) because it makes flat routes feel easier!  That said, so far I've done all my long runs around the Lee Valley Country Park/canal which is pancake-flat apart from one big hill in the middle.  Terrain is mixed though - grass, towpaths, gravel track and mud!  16 for me tomorrow, so not as daunting as last week's 20 although weather is supposed to be grim: cold and wet/sleet/snow.

Poor Eric, Caro - he's usually so happy and smiley.  Glad the new job is going well, good to get your confidence back.

Lotte, that sounds like a crazy day!  Mine was pretty mad but tame compared with yours - up at 6:30 to get hubby to rowing club, back again for a shower and to get Kit's swimming stuff ready, then off to swimming.  Straight from swimming back to rowing club, had to hang around for a while as hubby was still out on the water but some of the guys kept Kit entertained which was nice.  Then home for a quick lunch, then all out again to return some curtains to John Lewis and to check out a nearby cinema to see whether they do any kids' birthday packages as we want to do a cinema/McDonalds trip for K and some of his friends for his birthday at the end of the month.  Then home and hubby and I nearly came to blows putting up our new blinds in the lounge (hurrah!  The curtains that have been up at the windows since we moved in 2.5 years ago have finally gone!!  We are SO crap at getting things done!)  Just don't know how you do it with your lot, Lotte, and still find the energy to put in nearly 100 miles a week.  I am just about managing 50 at the moment but that is my limit.  I don't think I have the inclination to do more than that - if I did I'd probably find the energy from somewhere!

Agree that kids and shopping - serious shopping, anyway - don't mix.  K was OK as long as he was allowed to look at the toys in John Lewis; as soon as we wanted to look at anything else he complained of being tired/bored!

JG, you and your sister sound very different!

TTid, glad all is going well with O.  Wondering if M is  getting into bed with you because O is there and he wants the same attention and treatment, and feels left out?  As long as it doesn't become too much of a habit you're probably best to roll with it for a while - it's a big change for him and he's used to being No. 1!

CC, bit belated but hope you got away OK and have a fab trip!

09/02/2013 at 22:14
CC - yay to the holiday, hope you have a fab time skiing!

Caro - ah, poor Eric, def sounds like a trip to docs is good idea.

JG - great going on the park run, am sure you'll start to see your times tumbling if you're going to make it a regular thing.

Lotte - mind boggling organisation from you as usual, am sure if it was me I'd end up forgetting to pick up at least one if them

So I knew it was all going too well on the running front - already in bed as my throat hurts every time I swallow and I just can't get warm (although nobody else thinks the house us cold), I also feel exhausted which I thought was just down to late night last night but now I'm not so sure Have 8 planned for the morning which I really don't want to miss though ... Ah well, fingers crossed a good night's sleep will sort me out! Night night.
09/02/2013 at 22:16

Well done on the park run JG. Yay to the night off, enjoy!

Good work as usual MM. But running on your rest day, tut tut well done Harry, careful though or you might end up spending hours sweating by the pool like me watching kids compete, believe me I would rather be freezing by the track or football pitch!!

Eek KAren, shopping trip from hell!

Caro, glad you are enjoying work. Can't believe how grown up Eric looks with his big boy haircut!

RF, great swimming. We don't have holidays here until 30th March, makes it seem like a long term.

Well I got everyone to the right place on time which is always a bonus and I didn't leave anyone anywhere which is always a worry. Even more of a worry that I leave someone elses child somewhere as half the time I can never remember who else I am taking home until they pile in the car! Our club won the swimming comp and Sophie, Dylan and Em had good swims with a few pbs.

Pleased with track session but jeez it was tough, legs are so tired. Just did 6x800 (2.51/2.55/2.52/2.54/2.55/2.54) then did 2m at HMP (which was a bit slow at 6.50 average but thats ok I guess).

Failed on the bottle of wine though. I only had a glass and then fell fast asleep on the settee at 7.30 while the kids watched ice age 4. Long run tomorrow and then a cutback week which i am actually really looking forward to after 3 100 mile weeks!

09/02/2013 at 22:22

xposts, glad you made it CC, enjoy!

Oh no Karen, hope you feel better tomorrow and can manage your run.

Minks, EMF = Edinburgh Marathon Festival at end of may.Busy day for you too. Enjoy the long run tomorrow. Can't believe its 2.5 years since you moved house! How time flies.

10/02/2013 at 06:34

So I'm sitting here at 6:30am eating toast and drinking a cup of tea, and listening to the rain hammering down outside, wondering WTF am I doing about to head out for a 16M run??  Madness, utter madness!

Lotte, your cutback week is probably still more miles than a peak week for me!

Hop your throat feels better today, Karen - sounds a lot like the virus I had a few weeks back (not the sore throat, but feeling freezing cold when the house was boiling).  I did run with it but it didn't properly come out until the Thursday (my rest day) and I did feel dreadful by then and had to take Friday off work.  So if you don't have to run - especially in this weather - then I'd probably stay in bed if you can.

10/02/2013 at 08:35
glad you got there safe and sound CC, enjoy the slopes!
Lotte - do you keep detailed calendars to remember it all? Track session sounds super speedy to me and well done to the kids for their pb's.
Minks - I like the idea of a cinema trip for toms birthday ( all kids sat quietly in the dark surely means less opportunity for mess or mishaps) - we only have 1 little cinema close by though so need to check what is on too. may work out expensive though? enjoy your soak.....
Karen - I feel your pain, have been coughing for days and butt firmly on the bench. I agree though with minks no point running until you are better and missing the odd session is assumed - and allowed for on schedules. I hate shopping with kids, madness that all shops don't have a playpen that you could just drop them into on your way in and collect them on the way out.
JG - FAB park run - and 7th in your age group sounds fantastic!!! LOL to gay marriage debate, I personally don't care but can't see why anyone would want to go somewhere (Church) where they know they aren't welcome?. If you aren't religious why should you marry in church and if you are religious you would believe it was wrong?
Caro - hope E gets settled again soon. Funny how he is sleeping ok though, if it was infection / illness then he'd prob still want cuddles too?
CM love the coloured cakes but didn't think you had the kids so are we to assume you made lurid sponges for yourself????
RF - a mile????? Oh lord. Wish I could do half that without drowning and swallowing gallons of water. Hope you squeeze the running back in too.
Sat under a duvet with Tom downstairs as we are trying not to wake the others. Grandma having them for 3 nights and taking them to a spa as holidays. Not sure she will be impressed when she realises we have the lurgy.....
Hubby fixed all the units in my new utility room yesterday - looks FAB! will try and post some pics on fb but then you all know how rubbish I am at techy stuff!
10/02/2013 at 11:16
Arrgghh am sitting through 3rd night of M crying/wailing for several hours in middle of the night. No idea what's causing it - pamol makes no difference so don't think it's pain. She's had a very full on week and suddenly taken major leaps with talking so maybe some brain development. Not cool though - I'm exhausted!!! Off on work trip for 2 nights tomorrow - so sleep for me but a bit worried about how hubby will cope if this happens again.

Home tonight from a week at the farm culminating in my sisters wedding yesterday! Was awesome!! Beautiful day, perfect weather so all went very well! M wore wellies with her dress all day - will have to post a pic as looked hilarious!
I was worried about M being a ratbag with the dog again like at Christmas but she was great and also very sweet with her 8 month cousin so a vast improvement and much less stressful for me!!!

Great - M quiet now but I'm plagued by infuriating tickly cough!! Sorry not up name check - in bed in pitch dark!!
10/02/2013 at 14:03

Happier boy today - he did a mahoosive poo this morning after 2 days of stinky farts so maybe that was part of the proble.  Boys eh!  He did wake in the night, but if was before we went to bed so I gave him more durgs, cuddled him a bit then he went to sleep pretty quickly.

Just ordered M a Giro Flume helmet - was that the one you said Isabelle had Vixo?  We tried on one of the skate style ones but it was huge on her and not adjustable so we went with the conventional style - pretty white ones with flowers on so not too babyish, so it should last a while.

Still raining so I imagine lots of soggy long runners today!

10/02/2013 at 15:23
Hello, long time no post but have been reading!
Can I join in the complaining about being ill?! Have had a cough for days, last run was on thurs and managed ok, then got up for a 13miler on Saturday with properly chesty cough plus wobbly legs so hubby rightly told me not to be stupid! So feel worse and really coughing my guts up today and I'm very grumpy (hubby pointed this out), marathon training seemed to be going so well, managing most of my scheduled runs around work/sick girls. I know I can't do anything until recovered but you all know how it is! Brighton half next week so guess will call it an early taper!
And also have poorly children, Maggie got over chicken pox, I went back to work for two days then Rosie got it. She has really suffered poor munchkin. Spots have just started crusting but last two days she has been worse, waking up crying in the night, not eating, crying virtually constantly all yesterday unless cuddling me. We just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then this morning hubby suddenly noticed gunk in one of her ears, so went to out of hours clinic and nurse said yes its an ear infection! Feel so bad we didn't figure it out earlier but I suppose Mags has never had one. Anyway, she seems to be over the worst and as the clinic weren't allowed to actually treat an under 2yr old we're going to wait til tomorrow and take her to gp. Doubt they'll do anything now and hope we're not being bad parents by not driving the miles to the out of hrs gp recommended by the clinic, but surely there isn't much can be done now...
Sorry that's enough moaning! All ok really, nothing life threatening, just when you have crying sick baby, sick grumpy non-running mummy and hyperactive toddler the house gets a bit wired

Can't remember all news. Except don't think I've said congrats to Ttid on here yet! What a gorgeous baby boy! Glad all went well and loved the race report
Expect Max just wants to join in the fun in your bed with O. Maggie now has Rosie in her room so they can entertain each other.
Hoggle, wedding sounds beautiful. Put a photo on fb of the wellies! Poor M crying though, ear infection maybe?!
Caro- big poo always helps grumpage. Rosie was blocked for days then I could not believe the size of the poo that came out! Had to show it to hubby I was so amazed helmet sounds nice too, M has a kiddimoto one for her scooting, it's v cute but girly pink with goggles on it.
CC- yay to skiing, enjoy!

Gotta go, screaming baby needs me, hopefully back later!
10/02/2013 at 17:19

Boo Sonya, get well soon to you and Rosie. No wonder you are feeling a bit wired.

Hoggle, yes please post pic! Hope you get a good night tonight.

Sorry to hear you are benched too Camlo, get well soon.

Had a wee dump of snow this morning. Wasn't expecting it and had a 20 planned. Didn't have to go first thing so plan was to drop Soph off at the netball tournie and then head out to get back before hubby had to leave with Reece for  football. Drove Sophie the 15 miles to netball in the middle of heavy snow shower, then drove home (managing to slide the car on a corner which was a bit scary, luckily nothing coming the other way), only to get a phone call to say netball was cancelled due to weather and road conditions so we had to go fetch her again. So in the end only had time for a snowy 17 miles. But at least that take me up to a round 100 miles for the week, imagine if it had only been 99

Roast in the oven, wine in hand (to make up for last nights fail) and about to tackle some ironing until hubby and Reece get home for tea!

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 17:20
10/02/2013 at 18:42

Get in bed with the wine Lotte, then it won't matter if you nod off .  Glad you avoided an accident - not nice conditions when it comes down so suddenly.

10/02/2013 at 19:32
Poor thing Sonya, see the pics on FB, looked painful. Wee soul. Rubbish your feeling yuk too, sending get well vibes your way x good luck for Brighton half but only do it if fully recovered
Caro- hopefully that will have sorted E out!
Hoggle- glad sis wedding went well & hope you get sum sleep tonight.
Lotte- yikes to the car & snow incident but glad all ok. Enjoy wine & leave the ironing I say!!!
Camlo- boo to being on the bench but yay to nice new units & kids going to grandmas for 3 nights.
Wish one of the grannies would take ours, driving us demented. Really need a night or two without them. Never have time to ourselves, ever.
Snow shower here tonight & has been cold n dreich all day, brrrrrrrrrr. 12 MTB miles this morning & 4 mile run this afternoon. Went upto FIL's before dinner to give them a tesco gift card as they look after the 2 bigger girls before n after school when I'm working. I had 2 vodkas so felt a bit merry & just wanted to sleep!!!
Just running a nice hot bath; girls in bed but not sleeping yet n hubby just gone out on the bike!!!!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.