Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,181 to 37,200 of 47,096 messages
25/10/2012 at 13:47
I'm on the fourth course of antibiotics cm, also had two courses of steroids, gone through two ventolin inhalers, and been given antihistamines and monteleukasts too. Think that's the worrying thing, that I've had three different types of abx and this infection would appear to be resistant.

Hope you get some answers soon to cm.

Rf - boo to foot but yay to snow boots!
25/10/2012 at 13:48
JT - I don't like to say this sort of thing, but it sounds to me like your gp doesn't really know what they're talking about. The full blood count can't possibly tell you that. It may be that your white count is raised, which, it's true, is more common in bacterial infection (which whooping cough is!), but the white count is raised by taking steroids so I'd put good money on that being the cause rather than anything else. I may of course be wrong, but that sounds like a typical gp not-really-thought-it-through response.

Sorry, reading when I can but hectic week with all sorts going on. Trying to work out if I can meet up with lotte before they had back north, but Isabelle being at school is a bit of a pain! Will try and get back later.
25/10/2012 at 13:51
Oops, cross post JT. Can you remember which antibiotics you've had? There aren't many bugs that would be resistant to a good selection of them - I'd choose doxycycline or clarithromycin for most community acquired things.
25/10/2012 at 14:21
I've had two courses of clarithmyricin Vixo, one of which was given alongside amoxicillin and was then followed by doxycycline. Currently on the second lot of clarithmyricin.

Must admit I was surprised that she'd done a full blood count as there appears to be more reliable tests out there. Think she was talking about the lymphocyte count?
25/10/2012 at 14:42
Ok, so it's very hard to say much, given that I haven't actually seen you etc etc, but with all those antibiotics, and the doxy at least you will have had a decent dose of (because there is only really one dose), I would be surprised if you've got something bacterial that hasn't been treated. The ongoing cough just seems to make it more likely to be something viral or like whooping cough that's going to take some time to settle. The lymphocyte count is part of the white cell count, but I'm still not sure how they can say it points to anything particularly specific. A low lymphocyte count can be associated with viral infections. A raised neutrophil count is more associated with bacterial infection, but is also raised with steroid treatment. Anyway ,I'm not your doctor, so probably shouldn't interfere, but didn't want you to start panicking about something slightly random a gp has said!
25/10/2012 at 19:02
Thanks Vixo. Have been onto HPA website and NHS map of medicine tonight and neither recommend the use of a full blood count for diagnosis. I'm wondering whether to ring the chest clinic tomorrow to see if they can help, it's a long shot. The other alternative is to try and get an appointment with the GP who knows me well and is eminently sensible. However, he only works the beginning of the week and it's half term next week and he's often off. I'm definitely whooping again tonight and have coughed a lot more today which I guess is why I'm whooping again.

Sorry all, you must be so fed up of me with this.
25/10/2012 at 21:18
Oh JT, how frustrating (((()))). Really wishing you get well very, very soon xx You too, Caro, I would be so fed up

Went for a (very slow) run tonight! Only about 2 miles, but with no stopping and no wheezing. Have coughed a teeny bit since I got back, but nothing more than I would do normally after a run.

Half term tomorrow, TFFT!
25/10/2012 at 21:30
Oh no I've killed the thread!!!
25/10/2012 at 21:32
Oops sorry Tatty! For some reason you didn't pop up! Yay to the run!
25/10/2012 at 21:39

Ha, no you haven't JT. I am trying to read my Biological Health and Disease materials and am trying so hard not to be distracted!! FAILED!

Hope you get better, nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong or what will help. Maybe time for a 2nd opinion?

Swimming again for me today with L who is improving so much on her one to one swimming lessons. She is probably swimming up to 10m on her own, but tires quite quickly though. So worth the extra money as swimming is pretty important in my book. Then I went out for a nice 4 miles along the river and back. I love this time of year when it is colder and autumnal. L was at tea with a friend so I took some stuff to the tip and went shopping. Bought a lovely new coat and spent far too much money

Hubby is out at a black tie do in London, he wasn't looking forward to it much though. I would love to go to a black tie and dress up and have a lovely dinner and drinks!!

Glad you got out for a run TB. Does the cold affect your breathing very much? It is supposed to be colder from tomorrow.

I am feeling a bit like the hungry caterpillar this evening, I had rice with thai curry and was still hungry so had a slice of toast. I'm still getting that hollow feeling though so about to have a bath and a hot choc after to see if that helps!!

25/10/2012 at 22:06

You know it's not a good day when you find yourself at the computer eating cooking chocolate.....  yawn!!

Bad night with M, then got cross with hubby on phone - he has been away all week with SIL on a lovely jolly and couldn't understand why I was a bit miffed when he said they would be getting back around 4pm tomorrow - I thought they would be coming back in the am so we could all do something together - silly me!

Lack of diagnosis and improvement must be so frustrating JT! ((()))

And also (()) to Caro - also very frustrating!

Lots of you with bad chests/wheezing out there! I guess the change in season isn't helping!

I worked late on Wed evening in front of the telly so I could spent a couple of blissful uninterrupted hours planting out in the garden yesterday - loving flexible working! Also had a coffee/play with a couple of friends and their little ones which was lovely as it has been quite a few weeks and with K away I was in desperate need of adult conversation.

25/10/2012 at 22:49
Cooking choc? You'll be mixing a bowl of icing next! Or is that just me?
25/10/2012 at 23:06

A spoonful of golden syrup straight from the tin always does the trick for me!

25/10/2012 at 23:29

Green & Blacks cooking chocolate is almost as good as the real deal!! What about the Betty Crocker ready made butter icing anyone? Bit partial to that when I am in cake making mode!!

Silly you Kinsey, how dare you think anything as considerate as that might happen!!? Bah though, I feel your pain! (())

JT - not boring us at all, just feel sooooo frustrated for you and willing you to be well again . ((()))

TB good to hear you are 'fingers xed' back on road of wellness.

CM - that sounds amazing - the Ebay bargains, but can't believe you are lurgied again. That sucks, hope you all have a lovely lovely time in Butlins though.

Vixo - hope you are keeping head above water - just! Would be fab if you could catch up with lotte but can well imagine logistics.

Dashed up to Lidls at 8.15 this morning and bagged snow boots for Scarlett, and had a 15% off plus £10 voucher for Boden so got (hopefully) J a snuggly warm winter coat. Then out for a lovely 7.5 mile run and really blasted it on last 800m or so and got a 6.1mm on my Garmin - thought I was going to be sick after just one of those and wondered how the hell Lotte and MM do that kind of thing as repeats, however, am going to try a few more if I am brave! Made chilli for tea and a yummy cake/bread thingy with bacon chunks, olives and gruyere cheese in it, biking with kids and hubby in afternoon and then work tonight. Now meant to be printing off all homework stuff as off on course tmrw - final weekend of training - eek. Hubby off for his mountain marathon - hope it's bliddy freezing for him!!

Temps meant to seriously plummet this weekend which is a bu**er as parents in charge and not quite so much fun trying to wear the kids out when it is baltic out there. Ho hum.

Right really ought to get on with printing so I can be in bed before midnight

25/10/2012 at 23:30
Yay to new boots and coats, xmas bargains, flexi working, autumn runs and kids swimming.
Boo to parking tickets, uncertainty, absent hubby and having to eat cooking chocolate??!!!!
If I am desperate I have been known to eat peanut butter or choc spread from the jar. On nights we used to have jam and cheese on rich tea biscuits - yum!
Also looking forward to half term and Archie's birthday on monday.
26/10/2012 at 00:03

don't know why I read Hoggle as Kinsey - oops!!! getting confused with all these hubbys who are away! Yay to half-term, ours is almost done now but after two weeks of it I'm ready for a return to it sort of but in other ways not at all. night night, printing all done.

Yummy to cheese and jam on biscuits, I love that combo.

26/10/2012 at 06:54

THANK YOU ladies! You don't know how good it feels to know that I am not the only person to eat golden syrup out of the tin!

Off to join the toy library tomorrow - $60 (30 pounds) for 6 months and you can get 4 toys and 2 puzzles every week! They have an awesome selection too!!

26/10/2012 at 14:31

Thanks for all your kind words, I am just frustrated and the night before last was googling all sorts of things and found lots of forum type things with women with SPD, some saying it went away immediately after giving birth and they felt marvellous! And others saying it was still there umpteen yrs later, and stopping bf made no difference at all, and that hormones played no part and that was all an old wives tale, so I got rather miserable.

CC thanks for reassuring words, that you got better. I just find it so odd that it is still bad, if not worse now, compared to a good 5 months ago, esp across the front of the pubis. I am presuming in an MRI of the pelvis and lower back they will have looked at my pubic symphysis. It isn’t mentioned on the report, so I am assuming that means all is ok there and there's nothing to see, rather than they didn’t scan it in the first place. A few wks ago when I did my parkrun PB the front had stopped hurting altogether. Funnily enough I had just been looking at glute recruiting exercises before reading your post. So I have discovered I can switch on my right glutes fine, but the left are hard to do. I can just about do a wobbly single leg squat on the left but I feel it more in my ankle as I am struggling with balance, more than my glute. I am doing lots of diff glute exercises, and in all of them the right is definitely much more obvious and feels to be getting more of a workout – so should I ignore the right for a bit and just do the left? Or keep doing both?

Ang the osteopath has clunked me, as did the chiropracter before her, and they both could get a good click out of the left SI joint (the good side) but neither could clunk the right, as it is so impacted/stiff/whatever you want to call it.

Recently my right piriformis/glute area has been feeling really tight so I have been stretching and foam rolling like mad. I don’t know if I am going to be able to explain this, but when you push a buggy, those of you that still do it, do you push with your arms or your legs? I find if I'm just walking normally then it is my upper body that does the work, but if I consciously relax my upper body, esp when going up hill, then I can make my legs do the work – is that the right thing to be doing?

JT sounds so horrid, I know when I have my periods of wks of coughing it is awful. They were discussing whooping cough on the today programme this morning and apparently in Chinese it is known as the hundred day cough........you probably didn’t want to hear that!

26/10/2012 at 14:34

Off to Bristol first thing, then to Wilts and my dads on Monday, back home Wed.  Nice to be getting away, but packing is such a nightmare!

Parents evening yesterday, all good, she has settled well, has lots of friends, well behaved, polite, listens, does as she's asked etc etc, so we are happy.  Despite it's vastness it really does seem to be a v good school so I am v pleased she got in there.

26/10/2012 at 18:48
Oh and as for how long I plan on BF for, I guess it depends on how much more I can take of his teeth!! I have bite marks......
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.