Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,421 to 37,440 of 45,785 messages
23/02/2013 at 21:03
Im like you CM, not a huge fan of chunks of meat, and I'd never choose to cook or eat a roast dinner. If I cut up chicken breasts I use a fork to hold onto it so I don't have to touch it....we don't eat much chicken consequently! Bizarrely I suppose, my meat of choice would be a really good burger from our local butcher, but if the beef came in steak form I wouldn't be nearly as keen.

Lotte - you're bonkers - a 30 mile training run?!! I did 5.5 miles today as my 'long slow run' - well it was at least slow! I definitely don't envy you having to feed your brood daily - how do you keep up with the shopping? We've got Isabelle's party in a few weeks and are having 12 children here and I'm already contemplating what to cook and how to manage it - and you do that as part of a normal Friday evening!
23/02/2013 at 21:08
Vixo I have Angels & A very dark place. It took a whole day to download one! We only have half a GByte Internet connection! Ridiculous!
I'm quite used to running with the croozer now but going up the hill was hard. Could feel it the next day! It gets used lots but am trying to keep it in good condition to sell on n a couple of years. It was well worth the money. Love is riding sufferfest together!! Hehehehe
I got a new bike today. Whoop whoop. Paying it interest free over a year from the local bike shop. It's a cube reaction mountain bike. Nice light aluminium frame hard tail. It's an 18" so fits me well. Canna wait to get up the hill on it
Wow to the thirty miler Lotte & good lck to another sleepover, yikes your hardy.
Big grrrrrrrrrrrrr to the other niggles & those getting numb bums on the bench, s'not fair
Yay to a successful cake bakes CM
Nice glasses Tangy & hope M enjoys the party Turbo if u make it.
Mmmmmmmm yes your dinner sounded nice CC. Pizza, chips, veg & fish finger type things here. I also had some spinach with mine!!! Having a wee glass of vino ere also, cheers x
23/02/2013 at 21:10
Vixo - Matilda says no no nooey a LOT!!
Because I can't lift her she's getting away with things like eating at table not high hair when daddy not here. She's testing me a fair bit as I'm around but not doing anything much of the time!
23/02/2013 at 21:19
I was veggie for over 3 yrs from 15 I think. Ironically stopped after starting vet school! Decided farmers needed to make a living too. I like all meat, and have eaten and enjoyed kudu, zebra and horse however we only eat it about twice a wk, for health and financial reasons, kids eat more than us probably. I never buy ready meals, apart fom m and s two for 10 pounds deal once in a blue moon. Kids have got some ikea meatballs in the freezer. Hubby left for HK this evening, back on fri morning. I shan't complain as I know it's your life CC!

Right, need to finish Eric's b day cake
23/02/2013 at 23:09
What kind of meals do u eat the other 5 nights Caro? I am trying to make more veggie meals but a lot of recipes r creamy or cheesy + Camryn is not a fan of creamy or cheesy + I can't afford the calories. Looking for inspiration. Going to try omitting the meat from our chilli + give falafel + bean burgers + meatballs a go too. See if my fussy 2 yr old husband will eat them. Neither him or Cam r pasta fans other than spaghetti, + he isn't a fan of rice + won't touch couscous, all the things I like
24/02/2013 at 07:14
Pasta and veggie sauce, veggie risotto, veggie chilli, veggie curry, Dahl or other lentil dishes, made veggie bolognaise with lentils which was nice. I guess most of our carbs are pasta or rice based. For lunch we always eat the same, bread, cold veggies and cheese, hummus etc. we do have egg as well, and try to eat fish occ (not veggie I know!)
24/02/2013 at 08:27

We eat meat most days unless hubby is eating elsewhere.We always have fish once a week and I can usually get away with macaroni and cheese once a week. Hubby will not consider a meal to be a proper meal unless it has meat in it. He likes veg and salad but they are not main course material! I served up a butternut squash curry once which tasted really good but you would have thought it was a plate of dog shit! Even the kids asked where the meat was!

I try to eat as paleo as possible after listening to Tim Noakes about a year ago. I eat as few carbs as I can. I never eat any type of bread or pasta but might have a wee bit of basmati rice with a curry. I do eat cereals though, Dorset cereal nutty museli in the morning. And I do eat quite a bit of dairy. His thoughts are here http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutrition/novel-dietary-ideas/ if anyone interested. I have certainly not noticed any drop in energy levels since cutting out carbs.

24/02/2013 at 09:07
Oh god Lotte. The paleo diet looks hard work. Especially for someone like me who doesn't really like meat! I also love fruit! I am wary of any eating regime which restricts which foods you are 'allowed'. If something is banned I end up wanting it more and then bingeing on it! I am sure I don't need all the carbs I eat. But if I cut them out I am not sure what I would replace them with as not keen on meat and eggs!
24/02/2013 at 09:26
I don't believe all the stuff about eating carbs either, humans didn't eat rice, pasta + bread much b4 farming + they survived pretty well. I think it's purely bcos it's a cheap way to feed many + if we all started eating just meat, fish, veg, fruit, beans + nuts there wouldn't b enough to go round. So we r encouraged to eat more carbs.

All meals I would enjoy caro but hubby would pick at + I would want to smash the plate over his head lol.

He doesn't like tomato based pasta sauces except homemade spag bol + chilli, he doesn't like risotto, the man has issues lol, he doesn't like butternut squash or sweet potato. He would happily live on pies, fried breakfast, meat + potatoes with a tiny portion of veg + cheesy creamy pasta. I do most of the cooking so he has to eat what I cook but I can't bare seeing food I cooked being picked at + then scraped into the food bin.

We generally have fish twice a wk, one white fish, one oily fish, then spag bol + either chilli or lasagne. Hubby + kids have steak pie on a Monday as I take teeny to dancing + he cooks, it is also my fast day so I have a salad for t. Thurs is my other fast day so salad for me + they had sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, tomatoes, mushrooms + peppers (they won't b eating that every wk). Today we r having pizza made from tortilla wraps with chicken goujons + salad.

Problem is hubby has never had a weight problem except for keeping weight on, he will happily go all day on very little food + has no interest in how much sat fat or salt is in food. He puts up with wholemeal pasta + brown rice bcos Camryn needs it for her sore poos + I insist on fish twice a wk, plus Camryn likes it. I do add lentils to our spag bol + there is only 200g of mince in it for four people, same with chilli + lasagne + chilli has tons of beans in it. So trying to phase the meat out without him noticing lol.
24/02/2013 at 09:31
I don't eat much fruit but love veg, tend to have mountains of it on my plate. While trying to lose weight I have mixed leaves or courgette with my spag bol + chilli while rest of family have pasta, rice or doritoes.

Hubby does like curry, so could do veggie curry but Camryn won't eat curry unless it has no nip at all.
24/02/2013 at 09:42

Thats a good idea Tangy to add lentils to the spag. When I make spag I use 1kg of mince for our lot and there is nothing left! Thats a tenner just for the meat, no wonder we are always broke! Same with chilli but kidney beans pads it out a bit and I usually have a little bit left over for Reeces packed lunch, he will not eat rolls for lunch just now which is a bit of a nightmare!

24/02/2013 at 09:44
I was with you on the low carb idea Lotte, until I saw porridge was disapproved of. I eat vast quantities of it! but that's prob why I look pregnant!
We eat meat with most meals too - stews, lasagne, stir fry, etc but I am trying to reduce the quantity I use and pad it out more with carrots/ toms etc. We used to have a roast chicken on a Sunday between 8 of us but I struggle to convince hubby not to eat half of one by himself!
Yippee to parties and fab baking, love the pics on fb of Chelsea buns Vixo, and new bike (RF interest free is a good idea of the shop as most people would struggle to find a lump sum these days).
Boo to sibs waking each other, taking advantage of you being restricted Hoggle, absent hubbys, sleep overs (brave Lotte) and tough schedules.
Any news on the job JG?
Lots of activity on the tri 2013 thread on fb, I am on the bench with my sore butt today again.... better but not going to risk ANY activity!! (glad this is a running thread or people would wonder...)
Reading the born to run book and am walking barefoot around the house....
24/02/2013 at 09:48
eek lots of cross posts!! TT my hubby has the same appetite as yours, can go hours without eating and then Hoover a MASSIVE meal without blinking. When we went to Munich our friends were amazed at the volume he ate (big meals interspersed with macdonalds for 'snacks') and yet he is skinny as a rake.
24/02/2013 at 09:50

Jesus Lotte, you are mental. I have no idea how you do it. I crave pasta after hard runs. How do you get the calories in as you must have to eat stacks of food on that mileage? Its no wonder you've lost weight 100+ mpw and no carbs ...

We eat plenty of carbs I'm afraid would be too scared to change that. Also eat tonnes of fruit and veg, I thought you ate loads of fruit too Lotte? Interesting but I'm not going to try it!!!

24/02/2013 at 10:07
I make huge pot of bolognese in slow cooker with 400g of mince + 100g of lentils + tons of onion, garlic, carrots, celery + courgette, oxo cube, spoonful of marmite, passata, tomato puree + mix herbs. We eat half as bolognese + either keep other half for lasagne or add beans, cumin, coriander + chilli to make chilli which goes in the fridge so don't have to cook on Saturday.
24/02/2013 at 10:09
Yes Camlo that's my hubby too. Very frustrating when u spend ur life trying to lose weight + eating healthily + they stay skinny + don't care what when they eat
24/02/2013 at 10:25
Lol I had 7 roast potatoes and 5 baby boiled potatoes with my chicken and veg last night. I don't think I'd cope with no carbs! Tho just to be clear, that was exceptional!
24/02/2013 at 10:36

I do eat lots of fruit MM, including bananas and they are a no food for Noakes. Thats why I just say I follow it as much as possible. And I couldn't live without my huge bowl of museli, it keeps me going all day. And last night I ate a slice of the kids pizza cos I truely couldn't be arsed to think about anything else! I can't see how you can be 100% paelo and eat enough calories to fuel 100 miles per week. I eat sweet potato alot! Hubby hates eggs but I will eat eggs if they are having something I don't want to have. Sometimes I really struggle to think what else I can eat but I honeslty have no idea how many calories I eat a day. I never touch biscuits but I will eat cake at a party cos its easier than having everyone give me a hard time about not eating it! But the guilt I feel from eating refined sugar now outweighs the enjoyment of eating it so its not really worth it.I still enjoy my dark chocolate though!

24/02/2013 at 11:01

Why is normal potato so bad and sweet potato OK? I don't get it and surely grains were around in Paleo times, hunter gatherer stuff. I bet they ate some form of grain, like rice is a natural product? I don't eat refined sugar really either. I do make cakes though and puddings and do eat them and do eat energy bars etc. Also never touch biscuits but do eat bread and pasta as I would have no idea what else to eat to get calories in. It does say in his articles that it is hard to maintain high mileage on a paleo diet. So do be careful Lotte. I am sure you have written about having peanut butter on toast and scrambled eggs on toast after running a number of times?

No idea when to try and run again as no pain at all doing normal stuff. Tempted to try again tomorrow? So worried it will hurt though ...but then I did get to 1.5 miles so maybe just keep trying and hopefully it will get longer each time?

Boys were going to do a fun run this morning but they have chickened out bless them. Too cold they reckon!!!! Can't force them though so we shall do something else.

24/02/2013 at 11:37
Interesting reading about what you all eat. I've not read the article about the paleo/low carb diet but I can vouch for low carbs being really effective diet. I lost lots of (fat) weight when pregnant following a low carb diet. I really should go back on to it as lots of people commented how good I looked. It's not so difficult either once you find the lower carb options. Have been satisfying my sweet tooth since Os born though, really must wean myself back off that. I'm actually 4lbs lighter now than when I got pregnant bit I was carrying quite a bit of extra weight then.

6:30 here. Have had a trying night with Os. He first woke at about midnight and has been tough to settle for any decent period of time since. He will fall sound asleep before eating much, sleep on me and for a short time after I put him down then wake up snorting or crying. I think he's got a big of a cold but it does mean I've not had more than 3 or 4 hours of sleep all night. Mr TT is playing golf later this morning so desperately need some more sleep to cope with both boys on my own. Mind you it has been raining pretty heavily all night so he might not play.

Yawn.....
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.