Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,501 to 37,520 of 45,435 messages
25/02/2013 at 14:30

Yes I think I've had something similar Caro when we had tonnes of kale in the garden that I needed to use up. I think it had butternut squash, chorizo, butter beans and kale. Is the right? Yum!! Fab with mashed potato or brown rice if I remember!!

25/02/2013 at 14:55
Could b wrong but I think it is hi protein diet that is harmful to kidneys/liver, rather than low carb. Think as long as u r replacing hi carb foods with lots of fruit + veg (which do contain carbs too) + not just eating tons of protein then it is perfectly healthy.
25/02/2013 at 14:58
MM ur lunch sounds yummy, I love houmous.

Need to look up that soup, Camryn loves Kale.
25/02/2013 at 16:21

I was the person talking about the eight body types Sonya, just an interesting take on how we've evolved.  That book sounds interesting, will look it up.  If you want to run away and join a commune ... very interesting one just 500m from my house!!

Christ Lotte - I nearly spat my cup of tea out reading about you crashing out fully clothed and hubby due home in 10 mins with NINE empties on the table!!!! Sounds a riot, you are hardcore (runner and drinker!!!).  Look after the niggle ... won't say 'have a rest' cos I know that means nothing to you

Great training Tangy, reckon that cycling is helping too, is great cross-training. 

MM - cautious fingers crossed for you then ... really hope knee has got over it's 'moment'. I would love another bash at the OMM, but with hubby doing it with a friend of his on regular basis think I'm out of the running. However we have a Highland Mountain Marathon up here, not going to make it this year but going to have a bash at getting a partner for next year.  I love my running, but there is also something very enjoyable about summer road-biking too.

CM - ooops to the cat. Can you not build the paw prints into the overall picture?? LOL at the crumpets though - results!

Veggie - I have been so in the past, only cos I spent a week away winter climbing and the guy in charge of food/cooking served up meat every single night and some of it hung around on the side a bit too long for my liking ... couldn't bear to eat it when I got home.  Stuck with it for about six months then meeting hubby soon changed that. If I couldn't have it I wouldn't get in a state about it though. I'll eat what is available ...

Gutted that our bread machine died and I haven't replaced it so I am now very lazy and only make soda bread. COuld do with getting another one really I think.

25/02/2013 at 16:24

I  RAN today - shock horror - and it hasn't killed me off ... yet.  Ankle was a little niggly but nothing significant so I am cautiously hopeful!  So want to get on with planning a vague schedule of sorts of my birthday marathon (will be some 73 miles shorter than the last race I did on my birthday though!!) Was such a beautiful day (despite the ice and snow) - not a cloud to be seen, blue skies, sunshine, light winds - what's not to like!!! Looks like this all week too . Dropped hubby at airport and he was pretty gutted to be leaving - esp as it is raining and cloudy at Birmingham.

Right, oven baked salmon with fresh veg and charlotte potatoes on the menu here tonight (and like CM I will be eating with the kids) so best get on the case as we have cubs etc tonight.

25/02/2013 at 16:25

EF - boo to the nausea. Can remember when I was expecting S, I had ONE day when I felt normal, got so excited and then was gutted when I woke up next day feeling cr*p again. Unfortunately was like that all pregnancy although I never barfed at any point. Hideous hideous though.  Boys are fine, especially if you are used to the dramatics of the female kind. Although they are smellier and dirtier ... of course ...

25/02/2013 at 16:30

Blimey, you lot put me to shame with your homemade bread and granola, pulses-laden meals and not a grain of refined sugar in sight!  I do make everything from scratch - no ready-meals apart from the odd M&S Dine in for Two as I really object to cooking on a Saturday night! - but I buy biscuits and cakes even though I don't eat masses of them.  I couldn't be veggie - I love my Sunday roasts too much! - but we probably only eat meat 4 times a week, sometimes 5.  I plan the entire week's meals at the weekend and we shop for the appropriate items for those meals, as I just don't have time to be thinking about what to have each day and certainly don't have time to shop more than once a week.  So this week we're having penne tonight with aubergine, tomato, fresh basil and mozzarella (a Jamie Oliver recipe which is really yummy), tomorrow is chicken tarragon, Wednesday's Kit's birthday and he's requested spaghetti bolognese for his tea; Thursday jacket potatoes with beans and cheese (we have this most Thursdays as I get in from work late and hubby goes straight to the rowing club the minute I walk in the door) and chicken casserole on Friday with mash and veg.  Kit will have chicken goujons with jacket potato and sweetcorn tonight as he doesn't like the aubergine pasta sauce (it uses balsamic vinegar and he finds the flavour a bit strong) and will have lamb casserole on Thursday because Mum collects him from school so I always have a batch of frozen stuff for Thursdays which I can defrost.

We all burn food at a shocking rate in our house and kit and I both get very grumpy when our blood sugar dips too low, so I view food primarily as fuel.  I could not do without carbs, although like CC I have found by trial and error over the years that I run long runs much better if I have had a decent amount of both carbs and protein the night before.  Just carbs isn't enough.  We eat big portions - even Kit! - although rarely have desserts.  I always have cereal for breakfast and lunch will vary depending on whether I'm at work or not.  If I am then it's usually a sandwich or salad from Pret a Manger and if I'm at home I'll usually have beans on toast or similar. Usually have a mid-morning snack - cereal bar, or toasted tea cake/crumpets if I'm at home - and fruit mid-afternoon as well as at lunchtime.  Probably eat too much refined stuff - I hate brown pasta and rice, although always have wholemeal/granary bread, apart from Sundays when we often have fish finger sandwiches for tea and they just aren't right unless they are on white bread - with iceberg lettuce and salad cream!  My main 'bad' area at the moment is not drinking enough water - it's just too cold and all I want are hot cups of tea!  We hardly eat any pulses apart from baked beans which probably don't count, and I love my dairy and eat lots of cheese and butter!  I believe in "everything in moderation" and don't deny myself anything.  I couldn't run your mileage anyway Lotte, but certainly not on the amount you eat - I would be skeletal!

MM, glad the knee seems to be OK.  I don't run anything like the mileage you and Lotte manage but I don't feel any particular desire to do any further marathons after this one.  I am perfectly happy running to keep fit and for enjoyment.  Unlike most of you here, I really don't enjoy racing that much - I find it stressful and it takes away the enjoyment of running for me.  I'm also sufficiently self-disciplined and motivated not to need the goal of a race to force me out to train.  I enjoy being out in the fresh air and observing the changing seasons and scenery more than I enjoy pounding out miles to a background of panting and heavy footsteps, too focused to look at what's around me.  I can't imagine retiring from running but

25/02/2013 at 16:34

Yes hoping my knee doesn't do that to me again. It really did feel like my leg just gave way on thursday. Maybe a bit of nerves or something too. But probably just me legs going 'Oy, remember us!!'. I am fretting though and I know I mustn't as there is really no need. I worry so much about missing any of training especially long runs but I have done 5 x 20-22 and 1 x18 plus copious 15s and 16s so I know I'm OK. Its a mental thing having been at 80-90 mpw to suddenly drop to 50, but I know physically it's fine it's a mental 'I've missed a long run and its messed up mileage'. I know I would say to the guys I coach it's fine don't worry, and I know it is, but I can't help fretting!! Just need to get through this week and keep doing all the exercises!!

25/02/2013 at 16:34

Hmph, post cut off!

I can't imagine retiring from running but it wouldn't bother me if  never raced again after VLM.  That's not to say I won't of course, but I don't feel any burning desire to do so.

And I agree CC - boys are just fab.  I seriously wouldn't want a girl!

25/02/2013 at 17:12
Some of you really put me to shame with your healthy wholesome eating. We do try to cook good food but so often end up with no food in and end up eating out. Also need to cut out the snacks.

We are in the car heading north to Georgia for a couple of days. One of Mr TT's friends has a farm/ranch where they are going to do some hunting. About a 5 hour drive in total with 3 adults, M and O. Hmmm, whose idea was this?!? Also is diddling with rain at the moment and forecast doesn't look great for next few days....
25/02/2013 at 17:58

TTid, 5 hours in the car with a newborn?  You are a brave lady!

MM, I am exactly the same re. missing any training, but I have done so much less than you even though for me it's a lot!  I am planning 5 x 20-22 in total, plus lots of 16s.  I reach about 50 mpw in the weeks I do a 20, which is more than I've done for previous marathons so we'll see if it pays off.  I am getting a few niggles here and there but I am ignoring them because I know they're nothing serious.  Have a chiro appointment next Monday which was booked 6 months ago so thought it would be sensible to get the once-over before I do my last 3 20-milers, just to make sure everything is still in the right place!  I get very agitated if anything upsets my training or forces me to miss mileage - even fretted about having to swap a 16-miler for a 12-miler when it snowed, even though I ran the 16 the following week when a 12 was scheduled anyway.  Swapping the runs wasn't the issue, it was the overall effect on those two weeks' mileage that bothered me as I ended up with two weeks of average mileage rather than a longer week and an easy week.  I try to keep things in perspective but I do get very obsessed with "ticking off" each run!

25/02/2013 at 18:14

I used to get very frustrated about missing sessions, now I DO get very antsy if I can't run (or something), but whether I do the planned session or not doesn't really bother me - perhaps that's a positive to come out of the last 3 years of semi-solo parenting and so many weeks of juggling around everything else going on!!

TTid - very brave. Hope the forecast is wrong and it improves!!! Sometimes a change of scenery is a kind of break ... although with a newborn and a toddler ... hmmm!

Good call re the chiro I think Minks.

25/02/2013 at 19:06
So far the newborn has been pretty good, a few grizzles but mainly asleep (oops jinxed it, he's woken up!). Max has been the noisy one as he's bored. Only 61 miles to go now. Just stopped off at supermarket for supplies. Thank god for in-car DVD and spongebob!!
25/02/2013 at 19:10
I think TTids friend is brave ( or doesn't know what he's getting into!) hope you all survived!!
Hope the runs go well mm and knee behaves!
Lotte - that's so funny!! You don't do anything by half do you?!!
25/02/2013 at 19:32
Haha. The friend is actually someone we have known for many years. He used to live with us during the week back in uk for several years. He's actually got 4 boys ranging from 3 to 13 so knows exactly what he's getting into!

Hoggle, isn't it the middle of the night for you? How's your back?
25/02/2013 at 19:41

Nah early morning here - Matilda dropped at daycare so am supposed to be working but clearly not!!

25/02/2013 at 19:57

That's kind of weird - the two of you having a conversation when one of you is in a car in the SW USA, the other is in NZ and this is a UK website!

25/02/2013 at 20:14
The wonders of modern technology eh?
25/02/2013 at 20:25

25/02/2013 at 21:20

Thats pretty cool isn't it (Hoggle/TT thing)

Oooof what a long day. Just waiting for older 3 to come home from Accordian and Fiddle club then I am away to bed. Feeling rather guilty today about drinking that much while I was responsible for the kids, not big and clever. What if any of them had needed something in the night and I was flaked out The kids were laughing today about the dancing in the kitchen and the drunk mummies, ach well I am sure there are many kids who see much worse.

Hubby had to rush to work so I didn't have time for a run in the morning. Maybe just as well given how rubbish I felt. Took the kids for a cycle, I towed both twins, hard work up the hills and the trailer was fairly groaning under the strain of two almost 5 year olds. They are good wee cyclists but not quite up to a  5 mile road ride yet!

Hubby came home early though and I had an hour to run between him having to go coach athletics. Did 7 miles just under 8mm and felt good while I was running, blew away the cobwebs. I could feel the calf thing slightly but much improved on yesterday. Probably good I could only fit in one short run today to allow it to get better. Back to normal tomorrow I hope.

And  I sinned all in the name of attempting to cure the hangover, a packet of crisps and a bottle of sickly gooey lucozade original.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.