Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,521 to 37,540 of 43,495 messages
01/12/2013 at 21:30

In bed too and also in awe of Lotte.  My 100-95 miler was fun today, really enjoyed the race, it felt hard enough but not so hard that it wasnt fun.  33.01, my only previous 5 miler was in 2009 and 34.30.  5th lady which i'm happy with, esp as it was some kind of points race for 2 clubs plus a  championship race for residents of ealing so there were some speedy folk there.  the winning lady was 55 so theres hope for us all!  I met Yvonne who used to write on here, (mum to keana and conrad) and she was very lovely and said to say hi to anyone who remembers her.  

Monday again....boo. Although its hubby's b day tomorrow so I will make a special dinner tomorrow night.  But as usual there's the day to get through first-Eric swimming, tesco, then going to school to make Xmas decorations all afternoon, then Matilda has her first ballet lesson. Juggle, juggle juggle........

01/12/2013 at 22:32

Awesome work Lotte! You are amazing!!

01/12/2013 at 22:39

Wow caro, you are flying! I think the 1st 5 mile race I did I was chufed with 45 mins!! 

02/12/2013 at 21:49

Oh no, i killed it!!! 

Totted up my miles today and still just shy of 900 miles this year. Bah! 

02/12/2013 at 23:34

TMI alert - had a smear test on Friday and still bleeding so will probably need to go in to hosp to get it sorted. So annoyed, the woman was unprofessional and rough!! We really could do without this this week! Hubby had a meeting at the place he is doing work experience and they unfortunately can't take him on although they really want to. They are too quiet and have laid a few people off. They've phoned a couple of other companies for him and might have something in the new year but cant promise anything. He's so disappointed and I'm gutted both for him and because it would have been nice to be able to put that set of worries aside!

Now he just needs to try and find any work at all over the Christmas period because we can't keep struggling along as we are!

And  whole world is announcing second pregnancies and I desperately want to be pregnant! Matilda told me yesterday that she wants to be a sister!! I really really hoped we would get everything sorted and could start trying from now but will need to keep waiting!!

Sorry for me me me post!

03/12/2013 at 05:30

Ow Hoggle, that's horrid.  I do wonder why some people go into medical jobs when they have that kind of attitude. Hope it gets better soon.  Hope your hubby can find some work too, v stressful.

well done Lotte, hope you are recovering!  Can't believe how quick you were!

03/12/2013 at 14:55

Helloooo. thought I better check in and let you know I survived ok so you probably all read on FB but that's not the same! What can I say, I loved the experience and I'm delighted with my result. I feel ok, more body weary than after other ultra's but legs not as badly trashed as they have been after shorter quicker races if that makes sense. Of course there were low points and at times I did just want to cry and give up but you just have to keep going. That last 25 miles was so tough. And the last 12.5 miles took something like 3.5 hours! All I could think was keep it going so I could be finished and I would never have to run another step ever again! I also knew I was in with a shout of sub 20 and didn't want to let it go. 

The race was so well organised as CC said it would be and they really looked after you. I met loads of lovely people, runners and volunteers. Travel all went to plan, stayed with a lovely lady - it was a b&b but you were just in a bedroom in her house, ate in her kitchen etc and she was so sweet, it felt like staying with a friend and she even walked me to the race start to make sure I found it ok! The route itself was really good, the two Thames Path sections were fairly flat and the two Ridgeway section were hillier. I found negotiating the track in the dark just by head torch quite challenging, especially the Ridgeway section. Did a good face plant at one point and gave two guys coming the oppsite way a good laugh! And along the fields by the river in the hazy frosty mist when you just had a glare from the headtorch - like driving in fog. Conditions underfoot were good though, we were lucky and it stayed dry the entire race which was a huge bonus.

Suffered a bit with my feet, many blisters. Even by 30 miles and the only thing I can think of is I have spent a bit of time trying to soften them and remove calluses thinking Iwas doing the right thing. Now I think they were there for a reason and next time I will leave well alone! I never usually have such blister probs and had the same socks etc on. Despite that I so feel like I could run today. I haven't but did cycle a couple of miles to the shop and back.

Had a lovely catchup after the race with one of my oldest friends who is from here and I shared a house with in Warwickshire when we were at uni. Haven't seen her for a couple of years, since she was home last. She is just about to relocate to Southampton actually Vixo, she is a paramedic at your hospital and fed up of driving there from Reading every day.

A bit of a rushed ramble. Will have to do a proper race report later. I did start too fast, I could just hear CC saying what do you think you were doing! But be honest felt fine and I thought about tucking in behind the very experienced female runner who I came second too, but decided I wanted to run my own race. She was always going to beat me unless she had a very bad day. Shes a GB international 24 hour runner with years of experience at the top level. I had a good chat with her though and know where I need to go from here to get better - 40/20 mile back to backs apparently!! But then she doesn't have 6 kids to fit that around!

Anyhoo speaking of kids better get a move on to pick them up after school for swimming.

Well done on your 100-95 mile race Caro Sorry its all been about me, I will be back to catch up with you better later.

04/12/2013 at 10:25

Well done on the XC CC! We were hoping to send a team down, was a bummer it clashed with my 100 or I'd have come down. In the end we didn't send kids down but there was one guy from here who ran it. That's a good placing esp considering  you haven't been training for the short fast stuff. W e have an xc here on the 21st which I am looking forward too - have never run one before!

Managed 3 sloooow cold and windy miles this morning. Left knee a bit sore, itb I think so I know what to work on. Did a roller session when I got back. After my last ultra it was about a week before my legs could tolerate the roller.

I am having to bin VLM next year but it is for a good reason -  we are going skiing  SOOO excited. Could not believe it last week when we found out. Its out xmas pressie from my parents how spoilt are we! Them, us and my sister and her partner and son . Sauze d'Oulx in Italy at the end of March. wooohooo. Haven't been abroad since we were in Canada 6 years ago. The kids are mega excited.

Anyhoo at work so better get on with some sense. Its been quiet on here, what you all up to?

04/12/2013 at 10:56

Very jealous Lotte!

Got to be in work late today so went for an 8 mile run - furthest since vlm 2011, have been wrapping xmas pressies and now am eating scrambled eggs before going in to work.  You can defer it till 2015 cant you?

Hubby and I are having a day off on Fri and going into town to go to the Austalia art exhibition at the royal academy, then going for lunch and a bit of a mooch.  Should be nice.

04/12/2013 at 14:23

Wow to skiing Lotte!  Will be fab I'm sure! Ha ha to 40/20 mile runs back to back!

CC - glad to see the sun is out today for you!

Jealous of your gallery and lunch trip Caro, sounds good!

04/12/2013 at 16:07

No no no!!

Training for a 1/2 in March.  Binned my VLM place and very happy with my decision

04/12/2013 at 16:55

Met a colleague today at this course I was on who is doing it and raising £2000 for charity.  I felt quite smug being able to say been there, done that, got the t shirt (twice!) and don't feel the need to do it again anytime soon........

04/12/2013 at 19:28

Wondered if you had met any ultra runners who use surgical 

spirit on their feet to stop blisters CC? Know Eddie Izzard does 

it when he's running multiple marathons. Wondered if it helps.

04/12/2013 at 19:36

Ballet dancers use it TT. I'm sure it must help a bit. 

04/12/2013 at 19:50

I have gotten blister on my instep both times I marathon 

trained need to do something to stop it. Wore different shoes 

both time so not convinced new shoes will solve it, but will try of 

course.

05/12/2013 at 07:19

I taped my foot and it saved the blister. Otherwise double layer socks are quite good.

TT -The shoe fit is surely the problem though, can you lace the middle section a bit tighter or do the fancy lacing system to kep the shoe from slipping down. 

Lotte - wow, i love the race report, think you are right about a pacer if the last section was so much slower for you. Cant believe you ran yesterday, i take a whole week (or 2 ) off after a normal mara. 

CC love the sunshine on your face

No VLM for me either, taking a break from all the long races for a while.....maybe. 

05/12/2013 at 09:24

blimey lotte, you are a machine!

hope all our Scottish folk are surviving the winds... sounds very nasty and potentially very destructive

back to GP tonight as now been on citalopram for 4 weeks and need a repeat and review. however my sleep has gone completely to pot so I am totally exhausted. I can usually fall asleep within half an hour or so but am waking regularly throughout the night and when I am asleep I am having the freakiest dreams - all about people from my past. some of them are horrid.  Coupled with really bad night sweats (which I suffer from anyway but usually only during the second half of my cycle - but it's constant at the moment), I wake up terrified, shivering and soaking wet three or four times a night. I often have nights where I can't sleep once I've had one of these dreams. And even when I do get back to sleep, I seem to wake up every half an hour or so. This has only really started since I started taking the citalopram (the sweating has been going on since I had the kids but apart from in the months immediately following their birth, it hasn't ever been this bad for this long).

I don't know what to do. I'm exhausted, teary and frankly still depressed. And I'm about to start a huge new piece of work, which I am sure is going to push me back over the edge again.

I have been running a few times a week but not with any great purpose.

05/12/2013 at 10:24

(((CM ))) hope it gets better once meds settle dwn or they 

can change to different one. 

Camlo- tried taping during marathon training this yr, made no difference, 

still got blister under the tape and it ended up infected.

Having problems 

with infected big toe too, 2nd time in 3months. I think it's because nail 

is not attached to nail bed from halfway dwn. Have now cut nail right back to where 

it attaches in hope it will attach to nail bed again  (previous nails on 2nd + 3rd toe did after doing the same).

05/12/2013 at 12:09

Oh CM (()) keep running and hope the dr can advise you re the meds.

TT - A guy who did the 100 miler swore by camphor spray once every three days! You might find this blog useful re blisters. I think CC maybe posted it  before http://debsonrunning.blogspot.co.uk/2013_03_01_archive.html

CC - I am thinking about the Dee33 instead of my marathon. Haven't done it before. It is very flat I think but sounds like a good event. Problem is I was going to target inverness half as a serious pb attempt and the Dee33 is only a week later. Not so much a problem for the legs but for the pocket and time away from home. I also want to come to try to fit in a decent WHW recce (if I get in) early on in the year -  be lovely to have company if you could fit it in? Maybe even on my return from skiing in April. I could ditch hubby and kids with the BIL in Aberdeen and head over for a wee run. Another think I'd like to do is my own 3 peaks challenge, but maybe won't fit that in next year!

05/12/2013 at 13:38

Wow that is a list CC!

Well done Lotte, totally not surprised you're planning a run already !

CM ((())) Get back to the docs, doesn't sound nice at all, particularly the dreams.  Are you still having counselling?

Yuk to blisters and hanging off nails !  I have one which can't decide too, it got a big blood blister under the nail a while ago so is clearly not attached, but is still at the bottom.  I just keep trimming it down and it doesn't give me too much trouble.

Very windy here with sporadic gale force gusts - top half of a tree outside our neighbour's house just got blown off!  And I've just rescued their pot plants which were disappearing!  I'm keeping an eye on our trampoline too as I've seen it lifting a couple of times - a friend's trampoline has been completely trashed by the wind .

As for me, I've spent the morning helping the Y1s with reading then picked up Nicky and now he's watching TV.  I need to hoover but I don't want to scare the cats outside into this weather!  It is at least sunny at the moment, but very windy.

Sophie's teacher told me on Tuesday in confidence that he's resigned  I feel so sad as she loves him and I think he's been great for the school.  He's an NQT so has only completed a term but says the school's not in a very good state at the moment (which it isn't but it is being rectified slowly) and he's just not getting the support he should be getting.  I worry how it will affect his future employability, but I know it's not a decision he's taken lightly.  He's said today that he's done a letter so everyone will know soon, including the kids .   The other Y1 teacher is going on maternity leave at Christmas as well so it would have left him basically in charge in his first year of teaching, which isn't fair on him.  The teacher who is taking over is the chair of our PTA so I'm happy about that at least.

School Christmas Fayre tomorrow where I am Santa's elf !  Run by the PTA so we're hoping to make a nice profit.

Stay safe in this weather everyone!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.