Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,521 to 37,540 of 45,642 messages
25/02/2013 at 21:42

Lotte, you are clearly an "all or nothing" person!  I have run with a (mild) hangover a couple of times - unfortunately as I think CM said it just means I require rather a lot of pit stops!  Have never run with a proper hangover though - far too poorly for that!  Can't actually remember the last time I had a proper hangover, thank God.  Must have been when Kit was a baby and the realisation hit that trying to take care of a little one between trips to the toilet does not work!

Did 14 miles yesterday - the end of a nice easy week mid-schedule before the next lot of heavy training weeks.  The run was far from easy though - a hilly route into a bitterly cold wind.  And as usual I ran too fast (!) but I did have to be back so we could head off to my brother's for the day so that's my excuse.  That and not wanting to spend any more time than was necessary out in the cold wind!  Not really sure what pace I should be doing long runs at anyway - the usual advice is 60-90 seconds per mile slower than intended marathon pace I think, but that would just feel way too slow.  I do need to think more about time on feet rather than the number of miles though - in 2010 I did most of my long runs too fast and the last 6 miles of the marathon felt hard because I wasn't used to running for that length of time.

to Lucozade original.  I find Lucozade Sport bad enough!

25/02/2013 at 21:45
If it had bn 4 slice of toast + 4 packets of crisps it might have qualified as sinning - gluttony. But 1 packet + juice doesn't qualify, esp as u would have burned more cals on ur 7mile run than u actually ate lol
25/02/2013 at 21:49
Lol Tt.
25/02/2013 at 21:53
My training schedule recommends 90-120sec per mile slower than marathon pace for LSR, I haven't managed that slow yet, managed 60sec slower on yesterday's 10miler + I am sure it will slow dwn more as LSR increases in length tho.
25/02/2013 at 22:18
Lol this is gluttony - cereal with blueberries, quavers, hula hoops, snickers, fruit pastilles, baked potato and cheese, can caffeine free diet coke, can fanta, small tube of Pringles, pasta and tomato sauce(kid size portion), chilli and rice.... Yes that is one day!!! And only for the moments I am eating have I felt at all better. Starving just now and feeling blah all over again.
25/02/2013 at 22:25

EF - you are excused, cravings are something else!!

Minks - I used to find it difficult to do those slow runs SLOW, but now I find it all to easy to run slower rather than faster!  Hoping some speed sessions on the treadmill will sort that out for me once I'm convinced my ankle is properly better!

It really does make a difference though.

Oh Lotte, I almost made the mistake of assuming you didn't bother to run today ... silly me . And god those twins must be heavy, think I towed both mine up to J being 5 and S being 2.5 (and J is not light) but it was not a frequent occurence!! Found the trailer better than the tag-along though which is what came next - waaaay too wobbly. Can't wait to get us all out on bikes again, once the trails stop being so darn icy.  Was caught out on the coast at Nairn - our snow has gone, plenty of snow and ice there though.

25/02/2013 at 22:37
And an orange!

Contemplating a second one.
25/02/2013 at 23:33

Hahah EF you are awesome!!!

And yes funny re. international conversations!!!

26/02/2013 at 06:32

Morning!  I eat loads.  Toast for breakfast, lamb pilaf type thing for lunch with boys then cheesy pasta for tea with some cookies inbetween for snacks, and a cheesy muffin, extra slice of toast.  Thats what I can remember...

Cant believe you are still towing the twins Lotte, I wouldn't have been capable of that after a night drinking or even without the drinking!

Waiting for lots of pressies in post, this year there is a lot of Sleeping Beauty going on for Martha!

26/02/2013 at 09:00

I have no problems with running slow. 10 miles trotted this morning. No knee pain except for the first half mile a few wobbles. Arthritis was awful for the last 2 miles though Anyway 8:26 pace so very slow. Obviously not going to speedwork tonight but will run another 5-6 miles easy

Tomorrow will attempt 16 miles then do my speedwork on thursday on the treadmill. Then will attempt my 24 miler on friday or Sat. Might even race on Sunday if OK.

26/02/2013 at 09:56

You beat me MM! 10 miles first thing for me too, 8:31 pace. Just heading out again now. Cycled twins to nursery in trailer and my knee was rather sore, hoping just when I cycle though.I have no problems running slow either. No way I could do regular 100 mile weeks otherwise. I am very happy just trotting along, easy runs easy and hard runs hard.

Haha just looked at my garmin and my first mile this morning was 9:46, it is a long uphill but even so! Obviously took a wee while to kick start the old body today!

Edited: 26/02/2013 at 09:59
26/02/2013 at 10:56
3 miles run with M in trailer on school drop of but -5 degrees so freezing & legs felt like lead. Came back & did 3 on the treadmill in 25 mins so no bad for snail like me! Will try & do another 2 miles with trailer on school pick up.
Gorgeous day again, bright blue skies & sunny, although obviously chilly.
OMG Lotte, u hardly eat anything for the amount of exercise you do. I would be skinny if I ate & exercised like you do. Hardcore woman to the drinking also. You excel in all you do thanx for that article by the way, I do agree with a lot of it as its what my 'eat clean, get lean' detox stuff last year was mainly based on. Although I eat normally now I have kept a few of the diet changes like tons of water, minimal caffeine, lotsa green veggies, less white carbs & hardly any bread. Although haven't been very good with the sugary stuff & appear to be consuming a lot of biscuits & dairy milk, ooooops. Was terrible at work yesterday as there was a box of biscuits & tablet, I ate tons of them. My flat tum is getting porky again!
Having a decaf cappichino as I type but had a healthy breakfast of banana omelette with cinnamon, chai seeds, blueberries, strawberries & raspberries with a bit of agave nectar for sweetness. Keeps me full till lunch. Then I will have some soup, oatcakes ( the pack of 5!) and a yogurt. Dunno what's for dinner yet!
Lotte- I would be happy with a mile beginning with 9!!!!! I only appear to have one speed!
EF & Camlo- had a right giggle reading your posts last night about all your food. Glad I'm not the only one on this thread who pigs out!! Although EF has a good excuse! I ate all the time to try n stop the nauseas, grim.
Took swim stuff with me to work yesterday but at 8.30 pm I was knackered and just wanted to get home & go to bed, so annoyed with myself!
Betta go and get housework done, the windows look so minging with the sun shining on them!!!!
26/02/2013 at 11:13
Me too RF, I only see 8s + 9s on interval run + short tempo run. Not a hope on a 10miler. Sunday's 10miler was 11:19mM + that was faster than I was supposed to do lol.
26/02/2013 at 11:14

well I have taught the pilates class I planned last night this morning ... running to follow shortly, just finishing a large mug of tea. 

Caffeine is good for depression so I am sticking with what I drink (which isn't a lot tbh), a Soya latte if I am in Tescos and a couple of mugs of normal tea, and then herbal stuff or hot water and lemon from late afternoon onwards. Have had bowl of muesli for breakfast and slice of banana loaf just now.

Oatcakes are my lifesaver, I keep packets of them everywhere!

right need to get my arse in gear for a nice slow steady run. Currently running without garmin but off to plan schedule for Lairig Ghru race too, along with the washing and bathroom cleaning also required!

Agree EFs list of food last night was spectacular to say the least

MM - boohoo to the arthritus, is there ANYTHING to be done to aleviate it? I have it building in a couple of my fingers I think - remnants of all the climbing I used to do in days gone by, not helped by stoving one of said fingers last year!!

Edited: 26/02/2013 at 11:14
26/02/2013 at 11:15

and LOL at Lotte and her slow mile today - slacker

26/02/2013 at 11:19
ur 3miles on treadmill in 25mins is way faster than I have managed in decent yrs. My fastest 3miles this yr is 29:24, but hopefully getting faster with all these interval runs + if can get back to my previous weight I might manage 25min 3milers again in the not too distant future.
26/02/2013 at 11:26
My running buddy is being sent for xrays + blood tests for suspected rheumatoid arthritis . She hasn't really run much in last 6months +has had really sore hands + feet + extreme tiredness. We have bn best friends for 30yrs + she just got job as head teacher, very driven hardworking woman + will b devastated for her if it RA. Just hoping if it is she gets refered to good consultants who treats it aggressively + helps to minimise damage to her joints + allow her to keep working like she does.
26/02/2013 at 12:04

Oh Tangy that's just horrible for her

I reckon if you can get through your marathon training injury free you will see your shorter distances speed up too

Sooooo beautiful here at the moment ... again ... makes me realise how much I do get the winter blues or SAD, when the cloud starts to lift again

26/02/2013 at 12:21
Well I was faffing around on map my run + forgot to have breakfast oops, having an enormous salad with avocado, porcini + thyme puy lentils + an assortment of salad veg, a whopping 350cals for a salad. Then off out for 3mile run + half hr on exercise bike when get back. Then I might have banana on rice cakes b4 school pick up.

Have mapped out a possible route for a couple of my really long runs in April May with 2 grade 5 + 1 grade 4 hill, the Strathearn marathon has 3 grade 5's so if can do the training runs the marathon will b fine.
26/02/2013 at 12:25
Some of you are sooo speedy! I haven't timed a run for ages, no idea what my pace is but it is slow. 'Jogged' to the mailbox yesterday as it was raining and things still very tight around my scar. Will have to start very slowly once I get the go ahead from my doctor.

I am currently lying in a huge 4 poster bed with my 2 boys. Mr TT got up about 30 minutes ago to go out hunting in first light. Max is snoring like a train and has not stirred despite O crying about an hour ago. Max jumped in with us about 3:30 and brought O in to feed when he woke up.

We are staying in a log cabin on a 400 acre estate in central Georgia. Is very peaceful here. I cooked a huge roast dinner last night for everyone (there are 5 adults here including us). Was rather delicious even if I say so myself!!

Unfortunately it has been raining pretty heavily overnight and is forecast to rain pretty much all day too . I need to drive out to the shops though as embarrassingly forgot to pack any nappies for Max. Luckily had a few in his bag but have just one left. His potty training is nowhere near advanced enough for that to last until tomorrow afternoon!!

Tt, that's awful for your friend. Hope she gets a good diagnosis.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.