Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,621 to 37,640 of 45,866 messages
27/02/2013 at 14:48

wow TT - that is AMAZING!!!!! go you!!!!

CC - i know what you mean about black clouds. mine are very thick above my head right now and i can't exercise - can't even walk or swim. did try a few strokes when in the pool with E on monday but i could feel calf right away. i am having the most horrific stress dreams at the moment. every night it's a different one. a couple of nights ago it was N's eldest daughter (whom I have never met) who was screaming abuse at me; night after it was T who lost his job and took me to court for money; then last night it was a woman at work who committed suicide and left a note saying it was my fault.

27/02/2013 at 15:08
CM- have u read the Dalai Lama's book, think it's called The Art of Happiness? I gave it to my Mum when she was in hospital + she felt it really helped keep her going.
27/02/2013 at 15:12

no i haven't TT. i am questioning whether i will ever actually allow myself to be happy? think i will be mad, bitter, twisted old crone with 93 cats. . on the basis of that, do you reckon i'd be a candidate for the book??

27/02/2013 at 15:13
Think the premise of the book is that even if u can't change the circumstances that u r in, u can change how u deal with them + b happy.
27/02/2013 at 15:22

i just need a good kick up the arse and to stop wallowing in self pity. it's hard when the bloody black clouds follow you round everywhere tho. i am comfortable operating in my doom and gloom mode. feels nice and safe and secure. no-one can get to me if i don't let anyone in... haha.

anyway, i need to concentrate on work, which isn't happening. i just want tomorrow to come so i can scoop up my 4yr old!

27/02/2013 at 15:53

I don't like my 'doom and gloom' mode and get very annoyed and frustrated with myself because I have so much to be thankful for (which I do genuinely appreciate) but black clouds are bizarre and something else really aren't they???

that book sounds interesting TT - another one to download onto my Kindle I think, I know I need a kick up the bum at the moment!!

Lotte - interesting re the running, I run more on my forefoot these days and my stride is definitely shorter ... that last time I had this particular model of shoe I wore through the forefoot!!! They had many miles on them.  My road shoes are in immaculate condition, I hardly ever wear them, perhaps 3-4 x a month, mainly if I am on the treadmill cos I barely run on road. I don't like them as they are too squishy!

Have heard of Glentress too.  I would definitely recommend Glenmore (Aviemore) there is a cycle path going from Aviemore down to Glenmore, cycle routes around Loch Morlich and going all over, walking trails on other side of the road off towards Nethy Bridge etc and at Carbridge there is Landmark, not a cheap option but not expensive for what it is. I know RF has been down there a few times and I think MR is off there at some point for hols in a lodge.

27/02/2013 at 15:55

16 miler done in just under 8s, refuelled on shock horror for Lotte  peanut butter on toast, apple, green and blacks choc, raisins and a banana. Still starving and about to eat some cake (flapjack that Sophie made at nursery and looks yum!!) and more fruit. Curry tonight made from scratch lamb mince and pea. Tis soooo yummy, with lashings of rice and nan and I expect half a bottle of white wine!!!!!!  We sin on weds now too!

Had x-ray on my foot today too. Was in there for literally 1 minute! Have to wait a week for the results. No idea what I will do with the result but at least I guess I'll know. It seems worse after a rest over the weekend? I can do numerous things like soak it in salty water, loads of ice, seeing physio as much as I can and he ultrasounds it and manipulates it. It was awful today had to stop 3 times to adjust my shoes. Knee was totally fine. No idea what the solution is really other than suffer it if I want to run or have surgery is another option too? Take supplements of chrondroitin etc. Symptoms are similar too Metatarsalagia.

Anyway job done for another day. Was going to sneak in another 4 miles but ain't going to happen as hubbie not home till 6.15 tonight and then I have pilates, so will go my 10 tomorrow with speedwork on the dreadmill early doors and then shove in the 4 miles on friday or sat depending which day I do my 24 miler. Seeing osteo and physio thursday so best not run in the evening after those treatments.

Big hugs CM. You are an amazing person and I know you have to put up with so much. Loads of hugs for today (())

Well done TT. Fab splits there.

Wow the sun has come out so maybe we shall get out in it!!! So cold though still...

CM, have you tried swimming with a pull buoy, shouldn't affect you calve at all if you just use your arms and absolutely no legs. Thats what I did when I hurt my knee last year as couldn't use my legs either as couldn't walk for the first two weeks.

27/02/2013 at 15:59

I also don't wear my heels down and the podiatrist has had to build up the forefoot on my orthotics cos I land midfoot. I wear Mizuno Wave rider shoes, have done for years. And have some ace Nike lights I use for speed work and will probably use these in the marathon cos of my toe, can't use flat flat anymore as it needs the cushioning as I use my forefoot more.

Oh and garden. I grown tonnes of things. Need to get out there really but still so cold and ground is rock hard. So leaving for now, too much else on my plate just now!

27/02/2013 at 16:17

i can't imagine me just swimming with a pull buoy. i think i would sink if i couldn't use my legs. i have no technique...

glad your knee is ok, but how annoying about your foot. we old girls really are falling to bits aren't we?!

27/02/2013 at 17:21
U get funny shaped floats that u put between ur thighs CM, I used them when I did swimming lessons yrs ago, was actually faster swimmer without my legs lol
27/02/2013 at 17:23

TT - i can only barely do front crawl. i am a fairly good breast stroker tho. breast stroke without my legs isn't going to work, however!! and front  crawl with only my arms would kill me after 2 lengths...

27/02/2013 at 17:29
Ouch, I had metatarsalgia yrs ago, was triggered by my 1st ever attempts at hill repeats, eventually went when changed to shoes with a wider toe box. Was horrible, my foot used to go numb except for bit under my 2nd toe on ball of foot which would feel horrible. I have to b really careful with all my shoes, not just running shoes, can't bare shoes that restrict my foot across the ball. Live in my converse most of the time as they r a nice wide fit.
27/02/2013 at 17:32
Breast stroke without legs is fine.

Time for some lessons when ur calf gets better, best thing I ever did.
27/02/2013 at 18:33

Have just ordered a load of chilli seeds so I can get them going on the boiler.

At work today, had a nice, productive day, but spoke to my manager and it doesn't look like there is going to be another consistent, permanent day for me anywhere anytime soon.  However at the moment I am happy doing the odd day here and there with my 1 day a wk, and hope that it does increase to 2 days before too long.

So I did weigh myself, 47.3kg.  Oops.  Not sure I expected it to be that low....makes BM! 17.9 so under wt.  I feel like one of those people on supersize v superskinny who is insistent they're eating enough but obviously aren't!

27/02/2013 at 18:35
Honest to God CM u r driving me bonkers woman, can't get my head round how the woman who has a degree from Cambridge, a job that allows her to work part time yet earn enough to buy her own home, the woman that had not very good role models for parenting growing up yet is a fantastic, loving, caring, thoughtful Mother, the woman who left her husband + rented then bought her own home all by herself after having to fight the arse through the courts, can make so many excuses not to do things for herself. Just can't match up the two personalities.

If ur crawl is not good then it's about time u worked on it, that's precisely what we used the leg float for in lessons, so we could concentrate on perfecting our arms + breathing without thinking about our legs.
27/02/2013 at 18:41
Oh tangy well done on the splits! I remember one time on a downhill with a serious tailwind I saw a 6 at the front and I've never been so excited

I'm lucky I don't really suffer from black clouds. I do get work stress - lucky if I sleep through the night once a week without at least an hour awake worrying. Last night was 2.5 hrs I lie in bed dictating in my head! But work is all that stresses me usually- I can generally see some sort of funny side or at least a positive somewhere. Yes I get upset about things but even then - the downs test result for example- we've thrashed it out and now I'm ok about it all and have been able not to think about it. I'm lucky that I seem to be able to do that. Andy sleeps like the dead every night but he definitely gets himself in more knots and black clouds descend than I do. He is always better when he exercises however.

The idea of swimming with arms only cracks me up. Given I didn't move an inch when I tried legs only I think I'd sink if it was arms only!

My shoes get worn down on the heels. Can't see me training myself out of that now. They go down fast mind you! Even my normal shoes are the same. I can wear a heel down completely in a fortnight sometimes!
27/02/2013 at 18:55

Right CM shall we challenge each other to see who can 'master' front crawl first then ... I haven't tried for a while - I am just hopeless at the breathing thing ... so I am determined to try and get to pool once a week ... as this old body is definitely breaking down a bit!!!

We have those leg-thing buoys somewhere along with the normal pull buoys, hubby used to do shed-loads of swimming and it's a good workout, and yes, you can do breastroke with them ... so there ...

Tangy - you sum things up so well, a fabulous summing up of our wonder CM here ... I have no doubt she'll come back with a 'but ...' no doubt.

MM - good going on the running then. My favourite refuel if I've done a good long-un is nutella on maltloaf - yuuuuuuuummmmmy!!!

We grow things in bags etc  - the soil here is not soil, it's sand so if you want to plant veggies they need to be in raised beds with 'proper' soil imported in, so that's out for us.  Was talking with the kids yesterday about what they want to put in the bags this year ...

Caro - tbh, you are doing all that walking and still bfeeding Eric who is a healthy looking lad, I am so not surprised at the weight thing. Boo to lack of shifts, but good to be getting your feet under the table anyway.

I go through phases of the black cloud thing - seems to have crept up on me this one and I am angry at myself cos we've just had a fantastic holiday too. Think I also just get very frustrated about our living circumstances, frustration that I can't control/have a final say on things.  Found an advert for a local job that sounds like it would be right up hubbys line of things ... have sent him details but I can already hear the defensive mode in his voice at the thought of doing something different from the path he currently travels - oh god - it drives me nuts!!!!!

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 18:56
27/02/2013 at 19:01
I plant things in bags too,as soil is just pure clay here, can't say grow things as they rarely make it that far.
27/02/2013 at 19:09
I had puy lentils + chicken salad for lunch, 2 slice of toast + marmite after run + bolognese with courgette 'spaghetti' for dinner. Made bolognese with half the mince + twice the lentils today (125g of mince + 100g lentils to serve 4) and tasted just the same, in fact hubby thought it was even nicer than usual, result!
27/02/2013 at 19:13
Yes if I had to deal with hubby away so much I may well find black clouds would descend I must admit.

I can't do front crawl at all. Get panicked by face in water, hate it. Strange cos I can do handstands and suchlike but I just don't breathe properly in crawl and I loathe being splashed in the face which means back crawl also a no no!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.