Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,801 to 37,820 of 46,364 messages
05/03/2013 at 13:58

My god Lotte you are flying. Def overtaken me as the speedster now. No way I could run at that pace with all those miles in my legs, amazing effort! You are going places now and you have a few years before the decline and deterioration I'm experiencing. Makes me think I should have either had my kids earlier or tried to achieve a few more goals before I had the kids ...Ock well!

I also have the radio on all day. Love the company, noise and music too. Just downloaded lots of new tunes onto iPod and iPad so nice to have some new tunes to run to on the dreadmill.

05/03/2013 at 14:03
Love Lotte's 'rest day'. You run more on your 'rest day' than I run some weeks when I'm not pregnant!!
05/03/2013 at 14:05

LOL at the PMT ... sounds like your rant was very justified though Lotte!!  Can't imagine juggling that lot for sure ... I could be involved with all sorts of clubs etc but have been working hard at keeping mouth shut and head down as I couldn't add it into our mix at the mo!!  Great training ... actually, I came across this woman the other day (can't remember how I ended up there) but thought you might find it interesting http://camilleherron.com/ she likes her high mileage but some interesting stuff about elements of training and other stuff.

Money money money - bain of everyones life really ... I guess my hubby is having his midlife crisis now! Well he was 46 last week ... I appreciate he wants to do something he enjoys for the next 15 or so years, but he does like to ignore the fact that I have to just amend and bend around all his life decisions ... la la la!!

Dreadmill done - was to be 7 not 8, for which I am grateful. Running is not flowing at the moment, everything feels like exceptionally hard work, even easy pace is laboured!! But did three miles at 7.2mm and didn't fall of in shock!   Have a cobbled together schedule with P&D stuff but also need to allow for fact the race has got some sections where I probably won't be able to run at all! 

Music on all the time here too - we all love music, a fairly eclectic taste for sure. If I have MFR on then we are more up to speed with the latest but I do like Chris Evans in the morning. 

Right, need to get sorted before it's school runs and swimming and sort some tea so I am all calm and collected for Pilates class tonight!!

05/03/2013 at 14:06

Don't beat yourself up MM, am sure there is plenty more out there for you to be challenged and excel at ... I think we can all look at things and go 'if only' but c'est la vie!!

05/03/2013 at 14:09

i love music too, lotte. it's just all this 20th / 21st century stuff i can't be bothered with.

i was 6 days early for my appt with the asthma nurse. better than 6 days late i guess. and as i still can't even bloody walk let alone do any exercise, i guess another 6 days makes no difference.

05/03/2013 at 16:41

So what do you listen to CM. You will need to educate me. Other than modern rock/pop etc, I do like a wee it of jazz, we were brought up with Billie Holiday and Fats Waller blaring through the house and I have an Edith Piaf CD I rather enjoy, a bit of Scottish folk/trad stuff,  and things like Dollar Brand, Penguin Cafe Orchestra and oldies like Joan Armatrading, TracyChapman, even Dolly but Classical I just do not get. The only nearly classical CD I have would be Ludovico Einaudi but he is modern! Classical stuff makes me feel gloomy but I am sure that is a very ignorant statement. So where would I start...

Oh MM you are still the thread speedster, I could only achieve your PBs in my dreams. 37 min 10k will never happen for me. CC is right we all look back and say what if, me I wish I had taken uup running when I was young instead of waiting til I was an old hoosewife! sure you still have plenty you will achieve and Sub 3 is going to be yours in April. Us old ladies are good at the long stuff so maybe time for ultras, or like you say duathlons. I have had a good wee block of training but very aware it could all go pear shaped, and I still think I train well but don't race well, lack of experience mainly. I smash myself up in training I think and I know I am teetering on the edge of injury. Pubic bone was burning at the end of todays run and pelvis /lower back is tight. Need a trip to the chiro but hubby will flip his lid if I spend £40 on that. argh

Thanks for that link CC. Only had a quick skim so far but looks really interesting.

Better get a move on fresh haddock and homemade chips to make ready for hubby to cook while I am at pilates.

05/03/2013 at 17:18

Love your rant Lotte, I feel every second of it !  My hubby is same but gets all uppity if I criticise because he does things once in a blue moon - only when it has gone beyond manky though .  Don't think he's cleaned the bathroom in his life either.  Had to moan at him this morning for getting Nicky dressed (which he does on mornings I'm working) then sat on the sofa on the laptop when the kitchen was still a tip from last night when I cooked therefore he should tidy up (house rules ).  But to give him credit he did then get on and sort it out...just hate having to nag as he hates me nagging too - think on your own feet for once then! 

MIL just annoyed me too taking Nicky off mid-strop (his train fell off the track ) when I was just starting to cuddle him and ask if he was tired (he is), so he screamed his head off with her dragging him off then came back all calm "ready to play with his train like a big boy" according to her, which he then refused to do and carried on whining to me!  Then she started commenting on how there was no "kids' food" in their day so the kids just had to get on and eat adult food - clearly a dig at me pandering to their tastes which I don't but I have to live with them not her!!!   Will try to stop ranting now.

And breathe.... Gym tonight which I haven't really got time/energy for but I know I'll be fine when I get there.  Need to burn off some anger .  I'm having such a guilt trip about Nicky spending half his time with grandparents at the moment, I'm hoping it's just a PMT related wobble...

Anyway, yikes to childcare costs and puking and life decisions - tough for you CC but just being settled one way or another would be good.

I listen to Radio 1 but less so in the mornings now Chris Moyles has gone as Nick Grimshaw seems to play quite a lot of rubbish!

Must cook kids' tea now...

05/03/2013 at 18:22

Ugg I have speed session anxiety. Roll on 9pm when it's done! I get nervous about coaching and nervous about the session too. Feel starving too as usual which isn't good . Just can't eat enough at the mo to get me through.

05/03/2013 at 19:26
MM you will be grand

Poor J did huge splat at park and skinned his palms. But bloody hell the overreaction. Screamed for half an hour!!

Music - love Russian oktavisty (they sing octave below normal bass range). Lots of choral stuff really. Love early Tallis / Byrd stuff too. And requiems. You can't beat a good requiem. Verdi is my fave but also love Mozart's and Brahms' German requiem. Love haydn's nelson mass. Mainly because I have sung them all I guess. Love opera too - zauberfloete is my favourite. My fave piece of non choral classical music is probably the assault on beautiful Gorkiy by Shostakovich. Also love trumpet stuff. Anything played by Alison Balsam

As for world stuff - Manu Chao, Lila Downs, and love tuvan throat singing for the novelty. Also loads of Jewish klezmer stuff. Anything world is cool by me. Can even be 21st century as long as it is in foreign language!! I am fickle!
05/03/2013 at 19:29
Thanks for all your support guys re the sickness. Some of you gals seem to have had it pretty rough too which makes me feel less of a failure. No one else I know has really suffered much with it and just keep saying "oh eat a ginger snap- you'll be fine!" Or they blame the running (???!!!) but then, I find that a lot of people, mainly work colleagues who don't exercise, blame every mishap in my life on "your running." Like, seriously guys?! It does my head in.

Interesting to hear your story CC. man, dunno how you've done it TBH. Mr B travels a fair bit, not all the time tho and not for long stretches but boy it's hard being on your own all the time. I bet where you live is gorgeous but I hear good stuff about Lancashire too.

Hubby rants made me smile (in agreement and sympathy!). Totally hear you!
Lotte when did you start running then? I figured you'd been doing it forever! Sorry can't remember much else - will have to read back again.
05/03/2013 at 19:30

Glad to hear it's not just me in a grumpy mood!!! My hubby is having his midlife crisis too I think (40 this year!). Why does it have to be such a drama though - you never hear much about womens midlife crisis' - they are too busy getting on with it I suspect and have no time for one!!

Up til late working - not helping myself by being on here though so must go...

05/03/2013 at 19:33
Cross posts. MM - sure you'll be fab at your session. I can't imagine you getting nervous!! You seem so calm and confident on the thread!
CM - wow your music taste makes me feel like a total heathen. Was vaguely pleased I had at least heard of some of the stuff you like!
05/03/2013 at 20:24
I feel relieved to know you feel like that re speed session mm cos I used to be really nervous before I went down to the meadows for the intervals sesh and I always thought it was just me being crap!

Brookie I am so with you re the blaming running but this time I can say well I've sat on my fat arse now since 26/10 and I'm still flaming ill so that's just bollox. However yes every time I'm under the weather my mum especially says it's cos I run too much and don't eat enough veg. She is of course basing my veg intake on my 13yr old self which drives me potty. I'm 38 and have eaten loads of veg since at least post uni. Confess uni wasn't the healthiest! But even at my pickiest I ate carrots peas and green beans! And if it's not that then it's cos I drink milk apparently. Aaaaargh!

CM that sounds a much better reason for screaming for half an hr than that mummy refuses to spend ??5 buying a sticker book from the travelling book fair and says she will purchase one of either of the other 2 options but not both and def def not a sticker book. OMG it was like the apocalypse!
05/03/2013 at 20:30
Lol to all hubby rants. Mine's been looking after me since I've been ill but I still nip and nag. Today I had a go because it was dead frosty and I said I'd start to defrost car but he said no no I'll go but proceeded to downstairs and get completely ready then go out - all of ten secs ahead of normal time. Couldn't help pointing out the idea is that you go straight out and get it going whilst you go back in and get stuff ready!
05/03/2013 at 20:32
I am feeling sick about tomorrow's interval session already + it's not til 1pm tomorrow. I am trying to convince my brain it's excitement rather than dread,they feel the same.
05/03/2013 at 21:12
LOL TT!! and EF re not eating veggies and drinking milk! Hilarious. Right 9.10pm - bedtime for me. Work tomorrow - fingers crossed no puking. MM - wow 15-20 times a day - they should have helped you more! Gosh. And ouch to the torn oesophagus TT. sleep well ladies.
05/03/2013 at 21:38
Wasn't actually as painful as sounds Brookie, uncomfortable to eat for few days to a wk + fresh orange juice was a nono.
05/03/2013 at 21:52
No not a great session from me. TOTM due Tom so knew it wasn't going to happen really. Just not in the mood and niggles niggling. Made me feel very rubbish that my 400s were only a few seconds faster than Lotte s 2 mile reps. Still I never slowed so just hopefully PMT. We did 2x400, 2x800, 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400. All 5.50 to 6:15 milng. Slightly undulating route on industrial estate in town. Still went through the motions and job done. 14 miles for the day with the 5 this morning. Hoping I can raise my game by sat as have inter counties Xc champs at brum. Another outing in a Wiltshire vest!

On a positive note one of girls I'm coaching knocked 15 mins off her half time on Sunday at bath. 2 hours down to 1.45. She is a v50. Only running for 2 years but never very seriously until now. She is going to run an awesome marathon. So proud
05/03/2013 at 21:58
Mm you can coach me after baby is born if you're getting results like that!! Half pb is 1.45.21. Would love 1.39.59! I'm giving up on 44.59 for a 10k. At 39 by time I'm back that ship has sailed!
05/03/2013 at 21:59
Have never actually trained for a half either lots more do able I suspect than a marathon.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.