Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

37,921 to 37,940 of 43,682 messages
13/01/2014 at 14:58

wow lotte- what a talented bunch

been to see my boss this morning. he offered me a role leading a team of consultants working for him and ... i said no. that is the first time i have ever actually said 'no' and meant it at work. he said he was asking me and one other lady to lead the teams. i tipped the other lady off this afternoon and she is going to say 'no' too. her husband has cancer and she frankly doesn't need the hassle. so that's him stuffed then. proud of myself for saying 'no' to something i don't want to do. in the summer, i said 'no' then was prevailed up and ended up saying 'yes' even though i didn't want to. not making that mistake again.

13/01/2014 at 16:17

Well done CM, good for you 

Boo to hubby, CC, and not knowing what he's doing.  Hope it all resolves itself soon.

Lotte, you do have a talented bunch of kids, and they always look as though they're having such fun .

Feeling tired here today but will drag myself to Bodypump tonight.  Darn cat keeps waking us up at 5.15-5.30am so last night shut him downstairs eventually!  We're quite worried at how much weight he's put on in the 3 months we've had him - he is visibly twice the size !  We weigh out his food and give him 60g of Hills Science Plan a day and the odd saucer of milk (I know...!) which I am reducing rapidly.  Ralph is also a big cat and is on the Light version for older cats, and never gets milk.  We're wondering if it's something to do with these shelter cats who maybe at some point weren't fed as much as they should be because Sid in particular is an absolute scavenger and will get anything he can off plates left on the side etc!  I think I'll take him to the vet, get him weighed and discuss how much food he needs.  He was on 60-70g a day when we went away at Christmas and he still ripped the food bag apart...sigh!

On Friday I went to the physio (a different one recommended by friends) and she identified that my right hip flexor is very tight and I therefore (I think!) have weak glutes on that side.  So I am stretching and clam-ing religiously and seeing her again in 2 weeks.  She said not to do longer runs than 5-6 miles and not to do 2 consecutive days, which is exactly what I'd just started doing !  I really hope I can loosen and strengthen it soon, it would be great to be able to run niggle free.

Child-free night away this weekend at my schoolfriend's wedding  woo hoo!  The plan is: hubby takes S to her swimming lesson and N to watch while I do the parkrun, then he takes them both to grandparents' while I get ready for the wedding, and we leave at about 10.30-11.  Although I have a PTA night out on Friday night so the parkrun plan may go to pot if I overdo it - will try to be sensible though .

Healthy eating all the way here too, only lost a couple of pounds so far but I am really determined.  I saw a photo of myself at Sophie's 1st birthday and I looked so much better than I do now, 3.5 years after the birth of my second baby .  Wish I could just chop it off .

14/01/2014 at 13:42

ah weak glutes, JG. that's me too. i need to do more clams and side leg raises but - they are dull and it also hurts like hell lying on one side to do them!

i too am bloaty, but i have food issues, which i'm hoping i can also tease out when i have my counselling. i hate the way i look and i hide under long tops and long cardigans. if i have to wear a skirt for work, i wear floor length ones. i can't buy any new skirts because nowhere is selling floor length ones now. i have some that are 4 years old and showing it! i really need some more. or to lose a load of weight so i can buy non-floor length ones

just done a 5-ish miler. it was so icy this morning that i slid down the hill walking the kids to school. it's defrosted out there now but is still nippy

ah yes - greedy cats. i have 2 of those. mine will scavenge too. and i rescued them as kittens so i don't think it's because they were starved as they were rehomed with me as soon as they were old enough to leave their mum

14/01/2014 at 13:59

Cant you wear smart trousers?  I wear skirts or dresses so rarely Matilda shows complete amazement when I do (and on Sat she told me I was the most beautiful mummy in the world ) But given a choice it's trousers, smart or otherwise, all the way!

So I finally saw the GP to get my asthma assessed and I have to go for a blood test to check for allergies, and go for a spirometry as its been a while since I had one (and last time I had the lungs of a 50 yr old!) The Dr also said that you should change your pillows every 2 yrs as after a period of time they become mostly sweat and skin cells  plus take your duvet to be cleaned every 6 months, bash pillows and duvet every day and not make bed but leave it draped over a chair.  Open windows (Brrrr) not have cat in bedroom  change mattress every 10 yrs, etc etc.  So how many of you change your pillows every 2 yrs??

I dont mind investing in pillows as they are pretty old, but the logistics of getting the large double duvet to the cleaners where there's no parking anywhere nr by is a bit beyond me!

14/01/2014 at 14:11

blimey it's probably cheaper to buy a new duvet. i do that every few years... as for pillows - er ... nope. i do need to change mine. i have been meaning to for a while. there are lots in the sale at the moment

i wear jeans at home but i have a real 'issue' with trousers. because i tend to store my fat around my hips but have a waist, i end up with trousers that are massive on the waist or tight on the hips. and i can't bear tight clothes. i end up buying skirts with stretchy waists that come down to the floor. that way, even when i'm 'fat', i can still fit in them. i am so sensitive to the fluctuations in my weight and appearance, that i banish any clothes that don't fit under all circumstances. which leaves me with 2 safe skirts. at the moment i have 1 pair of jeans that fit. the rest are too 'tight' (even though i can probably fit in them. i just won't wear them because they are tight).

14/01/2014 at 14:28

finally I so something "clean" as I buy 2 new pillows annually. The top pillow gets relegated to bottom pillow status and so it goes on. I have to do this because Andy has such a sweaty head that the pillows end up discoloured and ill at is even with 2 pillowcases and a pillow protector. He's minging. 

I've been doing weightwatchers for about 3 months now and am 22lbs lighter . Just got half a stone to go to goal. I an rediscovering so many clothes! I like a skirt or better still a dress - like no waist bands to dig in. I do find jeans quite restrictive. 

14/01/2014 at 14:29

Ill at is? Gordon Bennett. Autocorrect! 

14/01/2014 at 14:43

22lbs EF. that is bloody amazing! that is what i need to do - but i just cannot be bothered. i just sit festering and being miserable and hating myself...

14/01/2014 at 16:38

I am currently on diet as managed to gain another bloody 

half a stone over Xmas, and despite keeping a food diary all 

wk, weighing all my food, eating 1600cals every day, running 20miles and cycling 20miles I gained 1/4 of a lb 

Just soul destroying 

14/01/2014 at 16:45

Now have 50lb to lose to get to 10stone and the harder I try the fatter I get. 

Just sick fed up with it, inside of me is a slim, fit, marathon runner screaming to 

get out

14/01/2014 at 17:34

oh TT it is so unfair isn't it?

have you tried limiting carbs? i think that is probably my downfall as i love carbs so tend to eat a high percentage of carbs. and i love fruit too. which is also full of sugar. sugar is now evil; rather than fats. so perhaps more of my diet needs to be fat / protein. i don't like meat much, so that's a bit of a problem for me. i don't like eggs much either. not that i'm fussy or anything. i forced myself to eat some leftover veg at lunchtime with eggs stirred through it - a bit like bubble and squeak crossed with omelette. it was ok but i didn't enjoy it and wanted something 'nice' (sweet / starchy) afterwards!

14/01/2014 at 18:06

Wow EF that is incredible weight loss, well done. 

I really can't believe that any of you have anywhere near that amount of weight to lose. No one on here looks even a little chubby on FB. I know we all have our weight we would like to be. At my fittest a few years ago I was about 8 stone (but I am not even 5 ft tall) and felt and looked fab but haven't been there for a loooong time. 

I need to start my low carb diabetes diet again, am introducing it slowly at the moment. That worked wonders for me when I was pregnant before, just wish I could stick to it afterwards and I'd be tons lighter. If I can find the diet sheet I'll share it. 

14/01/2014 at 18:06

Have cut out sugary stuff and don't actually eat much carbs except toast with my poached eggs in the morn, I have courgette/spinach/lettuce instead of pasta/rice/tortillas/nan when we have bolognese/curry/chilli, I eat tons of veg and snack on apples, bananas, rice cakes with philadelphia/marmite or olives, occasional crumpet if have loads of calories left in evening.

I love eggs/meat/fish and several of our weekly meals will just be meat/fish with a mountain of veg and a few baby potatoes.I make everything from scratch, only jar I use is curry paste, always make bolognese/chilli from scratch and only use 200g of mince between 4 of us and bulk up with veg and lentils, same with curry it will be mainly cauliflower and spinach with a little bit of chicken or prawns.

I run 4 times a week and use exercise bike at least 3 times, also walk to and from school at least twice a day and walk to swimming lessons at weekend as well as take teeny out for walks all the time, just to keep up and active as much as possible. Don't know what else I can do.

14/01/2014 at 18:10

Found it and posted onto FB, sorry CM. If you are interested, pm me and I'll send it. 

14/01/2014 at 18:13

Very envious EF that is fantastic weightloss, well done.

TT I am 5ft 7in so ideally I would like to be 9.5 to 10 stone (140lb), I am currently 190lb, I did get down to 166lb about 18months ago (I think) but immediately it started to creep back up and got stuck between 170-174lb for what seemed like eternity and it has slowly gotten worse from there, I'll take 2 months to lose 2 lb then rapidly gain 5lb and so it goes on.

14/01/2014 at 18:17

Right better go and make dinner before we all starve, salmon with veggie rice ( the one time I do have rice, but supplemented with carrots/cauliflower/broccoli/peppers/tomatoes)

14/01/2014 at 18:30

i don't know how much i weigh. i don't want to know. i also eat randomly. i am starving now. fed the kids earlier but didn't want it because it was too 'fatty'. so am now hungry, and will probably eat more calories in cereal than i would have if i'd actually eaten with them. it was very early tho - J needs to leave for rugby at 5.15 so they ate at 4.30.

14/01/2014 at 19:02

That should b ur priority with counselling CM, lack of 

nutrients does not help with things like depression. 

We always eat a family meal, I will tweak mine i.e. I'll have 

my chilli on a bed of raw spinach whilst rest of family will have 

rice or doritoes, I'll have twice as much veg and half the 

potatoes, that kind of thing. 

If I were feeding myself I would probably eat lots of those 

little frozen microwaveable veg or veg &rice packets with tin tuna, prawns or chicken. Take a few mins to 

cook but still healthy and low calorie.

14/01/2014 at 19:09

i don't cook for myself and never have. i do always cook for the kids but because they eat so early, i tend not to eat with them in the week, although often do at the weekend because i skip lunch to make sure i am hungry at 5. i tend to think i'm being 'good' by not eating and then eat cereal or just a massive bag of crisps for dinner. i have always done this though. i've never cooked for myself - when i lived alone. and when i was with T (for 9 years), we didn't eat together in the week because he went to the gym after work and wouldn't eat a cooked meal when he got home after 9pm. so we just used to eat pitta bread / hummous / meats etc. so i literally haven't ever eaten proper meals - not since i left home probably.

14/01/2014 at 19:36

Nothing wrong with pitta bread, meats and hummous CM, 

but maybe add some veg/salad too. 

I don't usually eat lunch either as don't tend to b hungry 

at that time, but I want to eat in evenings, so makes sense 

to keep the lunch calories for the evening. I do have poached eggs 

on toast or veggie omelette for breakfast and will have a banana or 

apple around 3.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.