Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,001 to 38,020 of 45,793 messages
14/03/2013 at 13:32

yes, it's very sunny here too. at least it's not windy like it was on mon / tues. it was SOOO cold in the wind that it was taking my breath away

spent over an hour at the podiatrist today. she looked back through the 10 years of notes and injuries and said 'you've never had a period without injury have you?' and she's right. it's one thing after another - always back problems but on top of that tendonitis (tibialis posterior and achilles), knee problems, piriformis, hip problems, hamstrings, and now the calf tear. she actually isn't happy with my shoes but the problem is that i get my orthotics prescribed and then when i go to choose running shoes and run in them, i get told i need motion control shoes as well because i wobble all over the place. she thinks i have too much support now, but who knows!? anyway, she did all the scans and stuff and then said that, other than having a heel raise put in (because i have leg length discrepancy due to my scoliosis), she wants to try me in a totally neutral pair of orthotics. she wants me to wear them all the time in all my shoes (which i must admit i haven't been doing). i then need to go back and as i start running again, we will see how it goes. she said my orthotics had had so many amendments and tweaks made to them that she had no idea whether they were doing what they needed to do (plus they needed replacing anyway), so she wanted to start from scratch again. since i won't be running for ages, i'm cool with that. as i increase my walks and start jogging, we'll soon see what is needed.

14/03/2013 at 13:50

Lush bowl of tomato soup and toast with cottage cheese, marmite and ham. Yum! Feeling better now although still hungry so will have some more food in a bit. Also rather worried a cold has surfaced. Nice easy plod in the sunshine though. Actually wore shorts but did have my calf guards on too. Its March for goodness sake and my legs liked some sun exposure even if it was only 5 degree warmth!

Sounds promising on the orthotics front. Must admit am really happy with my new orthotics. They are made from carbon fibre and are so much lighter than my last pair and durable I reckon too.

Yes happy birthday for the twins Lotte. Happy days. They are all growing up so fast hey!

Got the tesco vouchers sorted. They have emailed me the pizza express vouchers so still on for our cheap meal tom night and have Longleat passes for April too. Hurrah! Then have to wait till May to get the other vouchers again. Just hope they don't get nicked again!

Best crack on before Sophie pick up time. Boys at a film night after school so shall attempt to do some gardening with S, but need to pop to supermarket too.

14/03/2013 at 14:12

i had carbon fibre ones when i first had orthotics and really couldn't get on with them at all.  they caused immense amounts of pain in my toe joints. the ones i have now are made of ... well... foam i guess? but they are pretty rigid. obviously not solid like the carbon fibre ones. but they don't 'give' when you try and squish them. unless they are reaching end of life. they need replacing every year. it's about £80 for an hour's assessment, including all the scans and a new pair of orthotics (altho today i got given 3 pairs?? not sure why!! think she felt sorry for me). then for the next year you go back and get them adjusted as many times as you need and get them maintained. then if you just need a new pair of orthotics the following year, it's £30 or so and again you can get them adjusted / maintained. but if you need a full assessment, then it's another £80. i don't think that's too bad really. not when you think that physio is £35 a pop!!

14/03/2013 at 14:16

Happy Birthday Lewis and Cameron!  And Isabelle too!  The last 5 years have definitely flown.  Benedict managed to push himself up to standing on the bottom of the stairs this week and then let go with both hands - he didn't even realise he did it.  Not really wanting my baby to turn into a toddler quite yet!

EF - good luck for tomorrow!

Hoggle, my friend had a prolapsed disc removed, hope you can get it sorted xx

14/03/2013 at 15:52

JT - it's Ace - Feet in Motion on Sanatorium Road in Cardiff.  They are fab people in there

14/03/2013 at 16:21

right - have done at least 2 hours work this afternoon. must be time for a walk now

14/03/2013 at 18:19

haha JT - i'm sure it's not that simple tho, is it?! as always, it's finding the time!

did my walk - about 5 miles or so. was VERY bracing but i got warm. calf feels ok, but shin pulling. guess that may be to do with new orthotics. she did say it would all feel a bit odd and may ache.

i am doing a bit more work again now. E has managed to persuade me not to put her into nursery tomorrow morning, so i have to try and do a conference call with about 8 people tomorrow morning which is scheduled to run for 90 mins - with her at home! i know it's not sensible (or even allowed) but she begged me not to put her into nursery and i am a soft touch. she goes to school in the afternoon which is just as well because i have a 2 hour call with India between 1 and 3 as well... i have no idea how i am going to keep her quiet for 90 mins. i am running the call so it's not even like i can go on mute and just listen in!

14/03/2013 at 18:36
Glad you are feeling better already JT
Think I saw on FB that EF has had a good scan so that's good too.
Ouch to having to find ??80 CM, even if it is good value, still ??80!
Happy birthdays to twins and Is, time does indeed fly when you are trotting out 100mile weeks and juggling children, work, household etc.
Hope you survived work RF, think I would cry if I had got up an hour early! Is a struggle to get up any time before 7:30!
Glad babies are going for longer between feeds and lovely to hear of nearly walking too.
CM - Could you stick her in front of a film? It doesn't work for me as kids use the fact I cannot talk to them (or respond) to be really naughty so now I don't work with them anywhere near me! Last thing you need is colleagues to cotton on that you are distracted?
Crazy day and have mountain of paperwork to do later but worked out how to prog the cooker so at least I am only waiting for a bit of rice to cook and we can eat, makes a change from having to start from scratch at 6pm!
2000 pages.... that's an awful lot of chitchat!
14/03/2013 at 18:53

camlo - i couldn't be bothered to cook from scratch at 6pm for the kids! i have a freezer full of previously cooked meals. i ALWAYS cook in bulk; even if it's just a pasta sauce. i am soooo lazy... kids still happy to eat meals i have frozen. in fact, they usually refuse to eat it when i cook it fresh; but once it's frozen and nuked in the microwave, they scoff the lot!

E doesn't really watch telly. she doesn't really DO anything. other than swan around, singing, banging on a drum / blowing a trumpet, dancing, and pretending to be a princess / fairy / beautician. so i have NO idea how i will fare tomorrow. i absolutely cannot let on that she's at home, though. suspect that is a disciplinary offence. i suppose i could lie and say she's ill if it comes up...

and yes - eek to £80. however, i sold E's cot and mattress / bedding in the last 2 weeks so have justified it that way. also reduced my childcare vouchers to just £10 a month from £100 as i don't use any at the moment (aside from the odd friday morning - but not this week, obviously!), so i have a little more cash. and as from next month am upping my days to 4 a week, so i will be flush. hahahaha. i'm sure i won't be as i will probably come up with a new hairbrained savings scheme. but actually i desperately need to spend some money on the house, so it will be syphoned off into that. but for once i decided to prioritise getting my legs fixed so i can exercise. my 90 minute walk was okay, but as well all know, walking AIN'T running!

14/03/2013 at 20:12
CM - not sure I would risk it, tell her it's comic relief day and everyone is dressing up and she may well change her mind about not going??
Tom missing a day tomorrow to go and his idols - one erection....oops me bad, one direction...... Archie has told his teacher it's just me and him all night so we can do WHATEVER we want!!!!!!! I wish.....
14/03/2013 at 20:28
Camlo - haven't booked her in so she can't go! Gah.
14/03/2013 at 21:56

Definitely rather you than me then tomorrow CM!!!

Yay to walk though, sensible advice/sympathy from orthotic lady; but agree that walking is definitely NOT running!!

Missed Isabelle's birthday - whoops - Happy Birthday there too then

Glad antib's seem to be working JT. I merely have a cold, whereas my husband who we collected from the airport this evening has a full-blown man flu!!! And oh boy do we have to suffer it.

I guess I spend too much time on my own but why are men so NOISY when ill - dramatic sneezing and coughing etc (sorry RB!).

LOL at One Erection Camlo

Marmite and cottage cheese lost me too - big time!!

Subjected hubby to vegetarian patties tonight and they were apparently acceptable!

we have a mix of cooked-from-scratch and pre-mades from the freezer - sauces and stuff like spag bol are regulars in the freezer.

14/03/2013 at 22:05

Fletcher passed away last night - all the surgeries and trauma were just too much for the wee guy. I am heartbroken for my friends and can't imagine how they must be feeling.

Give all your babies extra hugs tonight - even the missbehaving ones!

14/03/2013 at 22:26
So sad Hoggle, they will have appreciated your support, and help to get through this difficult time. Such a tiny little chap, and even the best medicine in the world can only do so much. Hopefully in the yrs to come they will be able to look back at this time in their lives and take something positive from it, once the heartache isn't so raw.

Hope you're looking after your back.
14/03/2013 at 22:37
Hoggle, that's so so sad. My heart really dropped when I read your post. As you said it is impossible to imagine how they are feeling. Definitely giving my 2 extra hugs and kisses tonight. Currently holding Os while I am feeding him and he's so little and fragile, would be heartbroken if anything happened to him.

Discovered yesterday that one of my friends here has ovarian cancer and has had an op today. Not heard how it went yet, don't know how advanced it is or anything. Really hope she can pull through this.
15/03/2013 at 01:56
I think I'm going to take advantage of the time difference and being the only one on at this time of night.......
15/03/2013 at 02:04
.....and claim the 40,000th message!!

The honour should really have gone to JT for starting it but I've stolen it!

Oh yes, while I remember, I had a dream 2 nights ago that I met TBogle. She was very nice. The spooky thing was that her son was JP in the dream. When I remembered the dream later in the day, I couldn't remember if JP was the name of TB's son so I looked on FB (sorry, TBog, felt like stalking) and it is! My subconscious brain knows more than my conscious one.

One final thing...MM, 9 fl oz per side, wow!! Where did you keep it? You must have looked like Jordan
15/03/2013 at 07:28
Just to wrap up an awful day - definitely need surgery prob in 6 weeks. Not ideal but to be honest I'm glad that I can get fixed quickly, it is no fun being like this. I'm so worn down - being in pain most of time is tiring, M not sleeping well and being crazy fussy with food - no dinner then waking at ridiculous hours as hungry. Would like to fast forward the next couple of months.
My heart is aching for my friends - I know how awful losing my brother was and can only imagine (in fact I can't) how terrible this must be.

Really glad your scan went well EF, I hope you are able to relax and enjoy the pregnancy more now.
15/03/2013 at 08:33

Oh how very sad Hoggle. My heart goes out to them. Also very close with Harry contracting Septicaemia at one week old. Awful times for them.

Fab news EF. Hope you can enjoy your pregnancy now. Not that I ever enjoyed being pregnant ever!!

I was feeding twins TT. Yes I did look rather ridiculous!

Busy day today with red nose at school, sophie's dance, then swimming, then lunch at friend's. Then Grandad turning up to pick kids up from school, take S to docs and get results of my x-ray on my foot. Then taking Grandad to pizza express for tea as it's his birthday. Luckily a rest day for me but not sure will feel like one tbh!!

15/03/2013 at 09:12

I am so sorry to hear the news, Hoggle.

Happy birthday grandad, MM. Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow

Just preparing for my conf call at 9.30. Dreading it. E is talking a very good 'being quiet' and practicising dramatic whispering. however, i have explained that, even if she communicates in a whisper, i won't be able to talk back. have laid out loads of activities all over the place, but she is such a butterfly that she will just float around and not knuckle down to anything! I could give J an ipad and he would play that for 90 minutes... but not madam. oh no.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.