Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,021 to 38,040 of 43,240 messages
18/01/2014 at 19:48

Indeed..........but there are things we can do to reduce our likelihood of getting it.  My F in L is finding it harder to swallow again, which means its growing again, and yet he is still smoking.  I dont get it.  He's 81, maybe he thinks thats a good innings, but I want to live till I'm 100, and be fit and well enough to enjoy it.

and talking of sad, if you haven't seen this, it is heart breaking. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/489458451159627/

18/01/2014 at 20:43

Here here Caro, I am seething at fact Mr Tangy 

cannot give up smoking, he fails every attempt but 

it's cos he doesn't really want to give up, otherwise he 

would try all the options and he hasn't. Makes me so angry 

bcos I'll b the one left nursing him and struggling to make ends meet 

when he ends up ill and dying and I'll have to see my daughters lose 

their father from a self inflicted death. 

18/01/2014 at 23:02

i used to play hockey with uberfit girls who had to light up at half time! bonkers, so glad i never started smoking. 

Cancer is a very cruel illness and even more so that the treatment is equally hard to go through. No wonder lots of sufferers prefer not to go through any. 

JT - hope you are getting some sleep in between feeds and older boys to look after. Take what you can!! I have witnessed some beautiful births and would have loved to train as a midwife, not seen any for a while though! 

Had a call from Archie's consultant earlier, just phoning to see how he was which was lovely of him, last tests were good and his kidney is draining well so thats a relief. 

19/01/2014 at 13:24

Wondering how RF got on? She would be finished now wouldnt she? 

CC - most mums take their sons to rugby not their girls!! You are proper hard in Scotland!! 

Got up and blewthe cobwebs away with a good 10 miles over the hills (and through the streams). I love my club, we chat all the way, shout at each other up the hills and laugh when we are thigh deep in bogs, fab! 

19/01/2014 at 13:33

Haha just checked on FB so I know the answer to how RF got on, I wont steal her thunder but she deserves a round of applause!! 

19/01/2014 at 20:41
Can't see rf's achievements. Hope she posts soon!
19/01/2014 at 20:43

She's probably asleep!

19/01/2014 at 21:36

Awesome RF!! What a lot of impressive women we have on here!!

Had a late night last night as we went to the Festival of the Lights last night. Matilda absolutely loved it!! Just kept saying wow in an awed voice!! Meant she slept in until 8.30 this morning so everything is late today!

Caught up with my manager today and we are waiting to hear whether it is minor funding that is likely to be cut by Sport NZ or major funding. FINGERS CROSSED!!! Despite these stresses I have never once doubted that moving home was the right thing to do (although hubby has - he now is sure that as a family we are definitely better of in NZ than the UK. Not financially at the moment but holistically which is more important to me anyway).

Had a lovely weekend, lots of sunshine, a good BBQ and a catch up with my mum friends on Sunday. THey have all offered to cover childcare if there I an overlap with M's reduced hours and hubby getting work - they are a lovely bunch of girls!

No running over the weekend but will aim to run back from daycare tomorrow. I only have a couple of walking breaks now so its definitely improving!

19/01/2014 at 21:56
J plays tag rugby too. E was muddier than him today though at rugby match. Pitch was essentially unplayable but they went ahead anyway. E and her friend found the hugest muddiest patch off the pitch and rolled around in it for an hour. Needless to say I stripped her off before getting her back in the car!!!
20/01/2014 at 11:54

Wish my girls would do rugby rather than ballet, they are getting rather girly! Bit of mud would do them good.

Agree with the smoking comments, why would you do something which without doubt is bad for your health (and costs thousands a year!). My dads wife smokes at least 20 a day and has done since she was 16. I'm angry that some day she'll get sick or worse and leave my dad on his own (kind of lucky she's 10 years younger than him, maybe it'll even out!). Awful news about your friend though CM ().

Can't wait to hear rf's report! Sounds like she did bl**dy awesome

Hoggle- you sound like you have a far better quality of life! We loved NZ! I especially liked Nelson. We did discuss emigration! Only thing really stopping us is I'm close to my family and theyre all here! Hubby would do it in a heartbeat.

JT- glad all going so well! Despite usual tiredness and inlaws of course Sounds like a planned C-section was so worth it for you.

TT- I'm somewhere around 7-8 weeks I think, so probably slightly behind you. Waiting to hear from hospital with scan date but I have a feeling they'll just book me in for an estimated 12wk one rather than bother with an early one. First midwife appt 11th Feb. Wish I could know sooner that all is ok but keep thinking surely all this sickness and hideous moods is a good sign (hubby says im hell to live with at the mo!). Don't want to wish the weeks away but need to be able to function better than this!

Was Rosie's second birthday on Friday! Had a few of her little friends over for a play and I made a dinosaur cake (despite it making me feel sick I ate too much butter icing when making it ). Can't believe she's two already, still feels like she's just a baby. Also noticed how poor (non existent) her speech is compared to her little friends. Should I be worried yet? She definitely hears and understands well though...

Also, any advice on whether I should run the Brighton half marathon on 16th Feb? I'll probably be 11-12wks (pre scan I suspect). Managed 8 miles at the weekend so still kind of got the miles in me. Actually feel less sick when running, the cold air helps. Wasn't going to do it but then my sister (whos doing it with me) sent me an RW article about a woman who ran mds pregnant!

Right, must do some work before I have lunch...

20/01/2014 at 14:35

i did an 8 mile race while about 16 weeks pregnant with J. didn't race it tho. felt fine. did a 5 mile race at about 22 weeks and definitely didn't race that one. was also fine

bloody garage roof - STILL leaking. guys have now spent days on it. they currently have half my house roof off because they are blaming decaying cement on the edge of the roof for water getting through and dodgy felt for water running onto the boards in the garage. sob. more expense

just been out for a rubbish 3.5 mile run. heart wasn't in it

J told me at the weekend that daddy is more fun than i am. lovely. this apparently relates to all the tricks that J plays on the kids (nicking their toys and running away and putting them out of reach - which makes them squeal - and walking along beside them and lifting his leg up and kicking them on the bum - which also makes them squeal). now i'm worried J thinks i'm boring. he really has distanced himself from me recently. most of it is him just growing up i think. won't be seen holding hands, won't let me kiss him goodbye at the school gate. but then when he says things like that, it makes me think he really doesn't like me...

20/01/2014 at 15:39

CM- every boy I have ever minded has bn exactly the same 

about hand holding/kissing Mum goodbye, so do not worry

20/01/2014 at 17:30

CM I often think that my husband is more fun than I am when it comes to parenting - but you do need both to make a good balance, regardless of whether you live together - and that does not make you boring!!  

I wouldn't Sonya (says the woman who ran several park runs and on holiday in Corsica whilst pregnant with Eric!) but only coz I learnt the hard way how screwed up my back became.  Also I have no discipline so would want to race it, but thats me!  Also I was further along I guess, so was pretty happy that all was well.

It's 10 years to the day that I met hubby for the first time on our blind internet date.  He was of course, oblivious, but I don't mind.  I bought him a small plant and am cooking a nice dinner of chicken tagine with bread and butter pudding for afters.  Given that he was climbing for our wedding anniversary last yr and will be in HK for Valentines Day, this will do instead!  A nice bottle of red is breathing as we speak.

He had to work yesterday so was working from home today, so I got to do 9 miles this afternoon, which went well.  PR on Sat was dreadful for the second wk in a row.  Chest just felt so tight and I really struggled.  Only just got in under 21 mins, so  bit better than last wk but not much.  Second lady.  Had my bloods taken today and have got my spirometry test next wlk so we shall see ......actually that reminds me, I need to make a drs appt to discuss the results, let's see if the online booking system works a second time.

20/01/2014 at 17:38

ok since our garage bill was 250quid less than we were expecting at the wkend, I effectively got 

my new trainers for free, right? 

So thinking I would like some bargain trainers for maybe doing 

one or two of my short/easy runs a wk, keep the mileage dwn on the brooks so they 

still have some life left in them by May/June. 

Any suggestions from you neutral runners out there, it's all 

new to me. Have seen innov8 f-lite 230's for £45 thought would b good for doing interval run.

20/01/2014 at 19:14

Not had anything changed yet, waiting for results. 

My new shoes felt lovely today TT, but not cheap!  But once I'm sure I like them I'll buy more online before they disappear.  But I tend to just have one pair, do 500 miles then buy the next pair.  It was really obvious that my old ones had had it though, with niggles starting.  First time I've ever felt that so obviously.  They are asics nimbus, neutral but very cushioned for injury prone people like me who pound pavements and not trails.

I am seeing the osteopath tomorrow CC, first time in a while.  But I get £250 paid for a yr by bupa/work, so that equates to 5 visits per yr.  better than a poke in the eye and all that.

20/01/2014 at 20:16

CM - T is just being a Disney dad. Its easy to just be the fun parent who only does the silly stuff. What makes a great parent is one who does fun things but also is prepared to set boundaries, discipline where needed etc etc. You manage to do this so well - there are so many cool things that you do with the kids and honestly without the discipline and boundaries they would be a lot less happy than they are. Please don't knock your parenting - you are doing an awesome job and don't let comments like that derail you - its just a throw away kids comment and J will have had no idea how much it hurt you.

Pouring with rain here today - gah! We get 2 lovely days then it goes crappy again! I really hope it clears up for the weekend. Its my friends who lost their baby at the start of last years wedding on Saturday and they deserve a hot hot sunny day! It will be a pretty emotional event but I can't wait!!

20/01/2014 at 22:10

Nope, sounds like a good idea

20/01/2014 at 22:12

nope, doesn't sound bad, cc. i bought myself a piano with the money my nan left me. and now J is having lessons and playing it and nothing makes me happier than hearing him play. he even woke his sister up this morning by playing!

as for keeping a stash fun - sensible for ALL sorts of reasons

i have just booked car hire, hotels in bulgaria for our first and last nights, and gatwick car parking for trip to bulgaria in the summer. can you tell i'm fed up and stressed and just want to get away from it all?! scared myself at the weekend by watching a programme about sunny beach. we are staying about 4 miles from there for our first week but OMG the antics. we shall be staying away from there i think - definitely once the sun goes down anyway!!

20/01/2014 at 22:17

stash fun. haha. funD. but fun maybe also

20/01/2014 at 22:34

Hahaha the autocorrect is working overtime today

I didn't race while Panay because to start with I felt too sock - brilliant!

I'm off to the library to work now. Hubby is picking Matilda up at 12 and once she's here I cannot get any work done at all!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.