Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,041 to 38,060 of 43,675 messages
20/01/2014 at 23:01

I did a 10k race when 20 wks pregnant with Isaac. Felt fine at the time ( although my time was v v slow!) but was wrecked the day after - migraine, exhausted etc. theN when my 20 wk scan showed Isaac was v small I immediately panicked it was my running. (It wasn't obvs but I panicked!) JT is right. Maybe not worth risk but perhaps do a shorter race instead? And don't race it, if you know what I mean. For me, the biggest challenge is racing again after baby, not racing or even running whilst pregnant. The latter is easy. I'm finding the former tough. Not cos I can't do it, but I don't have a double running buggy (& doubt I could easily push it if I did!) and no one to take kidS so I can get out. I'm manakng about 3 times a week which I guess is ok for now. 

Liked your blind date story Caro. Afree with everyone's comments re your brilliant parenting CM. Dnot beat yourself up. Kids say that kinda thing a lot from what I can gather. 

I wear Asics nimbus too Caro. Love love love them. Never heard of sportsshoes .com. I will be lookin soon! Liked your gaiters TT! 

20/01/2014 at 23:03

Oh and love the expression "Disney dad " Hoggle. That's a good un! 

20/01/2014 at 23:06

Oh and bless my hubby today. He's knows I've been really down and grouchy about my lack of exercise so he came home today with one of those cadence gadget things to go on my bike so I can monitor my speed/cadence/distance etc on rollers or outside. i was really chuffed! 

21/01/2014 at 11:27

3x a week sounds good to me and both of mine are at school!

was going to run today but was awake half the night with crippling ear pain and have been to GP this morning and ... ear infection. have had awful pain in jaw for about 10 days. couldn't close my mouth properly and was agony to eat. i have been ignoring it (as you do) because it was 'too difficult' to decide whether i needed to see the GP or the dentist. anyway i phoned both this morning as i can't cope with pain like that in the night - and GP saw me today and diagnosed ear infection. not sure it really is though because pain started as jaw pain when eating and jaw was clicking and popping like mad. so don't think that is ear related? anyway - who knows. maybe it is both?!

21/01/2014 at 13:50
TMJ pain CM? Google and see if symptoms match. High dose anti-inflamms might help. Although I seem to remember you can't take them...or is that someone else?!

I'm ticking over on about 2 runs a week and although I'd like to do more I think realistically twice is ok whilst we settle into me being back at work etc. Plus I'm shattered as baby number 3 remains of the "can't sleep, won't sleep" variety!

Hmm, we're on a new page, and my brain has completely emptied of what has been on the previous few - useless!
21/01/2014 at 14:57

vixo - i think the jaw pain is probably TMJ. can't take anti-inflamms (you're right - that is me!). however, the ear pain is new, sudden and bloody painful and does feel a bit more like an ear infection. plus TMJ pain doesn't seem to include ear from what i have read. ear does feel blocked today so perhaps i have 2 different things. oh joy

i think going out at all when you have a baby that doesn't sleep is fabulous. let alone being back at work as well!!

21/01/2014 at 21:27

Thankyou ladies!!!! Not quite as tired tonight so thought betta quickly read back a few pages n catch up, only skim read though. Well as most of you will have read on FB i completed my 2nd puffer & managed to come 1st solo female.woohooooo. Still cannot believe I actually won something. Think the last time I won anything was in school many moons ago. Saying that there was only 3 solo females & there was 71 solo males. Think I was 39th overall. I did 15 laps, 2 nd lady did 14 and 3 rd lady did 11. My goodness I had to dig deep at times, tough in the night. Luckily the weather wasn't too bad. Bit icy to begin with but then was just muddy in the end. Few wee rain showers but nothing much & wasn't too cold, about 3 degrees I think. My dad, mum & hubby were my support crew. Parents had their campervan which really is a godsend as use a generator so have a wee heater on & can cook etc, luxury! Couldn't do it without that and their support. 

21/01/2014 at 21:37

I didn't sleep at all & did it in 2 lap chunks, having a rest between. Most breaks were 20-30 mins but I stopped for nearly 1.5 hrs at 11 pm. It was hard to push myself back out during the night. Listening to my iPod for two laps to pass a couple of hours. The adventure show were filming again so got me a couple of times but nothing like last year. Think there will be a bit of me gibbering at the end!! I have a few bruises from some falls but nothing drastic. I am only a wee bit sore surprisely, mainly triceps and a numb wee finger from gripping the handles for so long. Manged an hours walk yesterday and today did 4 miles with M in the trailer. Having a very easy week this week though. Do feel tired though & have eaten quite a lot! Anyway enough about me.........hope everyone is ok. CM - ear infections are horrible, hope u feel betta soon & also my kids thin hubby is way more fun than me and always want him rather than me.i try and not let it bother me to much!

sorry will try & catch up more tomorrow & read back properly.

must message you again CC about fell shoes....................!!!!!! My hubby will kill me, he only just ought me mountain bike shoes, jacket etc, oooooopps. Thsee hobbies of mine are rather expensive!! 

21/01/2014 at 22:06

Woo Hoo RF!  When will the Adventure Show be on?

JT - no idea about hand, but only way to keep cat out is with a magnetic or chip activated flap.  Or - lock the flap and let yours in and out as they need - my cat has never had a flap and does just fine.  Total pain though, and will be stressful to your cats and they might start spraying too!

21/01/2014 at 22:29
RF - that's amazing! One of our very good friends is a veteran of 24 hour mtb races and even he looked impressed (he was here when I saw your result on fb!), and he's pretty hard to impress when it comes to cycling achievements - and even more impressed when I said it was only the second one you'd ever done!

JT - not sure about your hand, it it will probably settle down I guess. If it gets tender or red you should see someone I think. We had a similar cat problem in our old house and it was disgusting. Our cats used to cower upstairs while the other cat was in the house - we even woke up one night to find it in our bedroom! We got one of the cat flaps which you programme to only recognise your cats chips, and it worked really well, but was quite expensive. Ours won't keep collars on so the cheaper options with magnetic openings weren't an option.

Right, must get to bed - cant complain about being tired if I always go to bed late!!
21/01/2014 at 22:36
CC - I love swimming, but I have to say, I find the idea of swimming in the sea at this time of year pretty unappealing!!

I had some time today while the little ones were at nursery, and after doing the household stuff that needed doing, I sat down to do some knitting! I've almost finished a cardigan and had an 'exciting' bit to do, so I chose to do that instead of go out for a run - I think that makes me lazy, or at least a lot more lazy than most of you!! (but I do have an almost finished cardigan which is supposed to be to fit age 18mos-2.5 years, but seems about right for O!)
22/01/2014 at 09:26

vixo - at least you didn't sit down mumsnetting

RF - that is an amazing achievement. wow!! how many did you do last year - I can't remember?

jaw pain has gone - wooo! and so has ear pain pretty much. but i now feel deaf! so it obviously was an ear infection all along. i am so rubbish with these things. last year i had an ear infection for about 8 weeks. i was going to the GP but my ear was the least of my worries. it was mainly my chest that was bothering me, but they wouldn't give me antibiotics as they couldn't hear anything. and then when i finally mentioned my ear, the GP said it was infected. so it probably had been all along. as soon as i got antibiotics for the ear, the chest cleared up too! and this time i've had jaw pain for 10 days (which i was ignoring as i didn't want to go to the dentist) and it turns out it's my ear again! what a numpty.

vixo - have you tried any form of sleep 'training' (hate that word) with O? i had to do a bit of controlled crying with both of mine when they were 2, but they had both slept beforehand but it all went to pot for a few weeks when they turned 2. i only had to do it for 3 or 4 days (had to redo it with E a few weeks later when she tried it on again). J's wasn't so bad as it was in the evenings. but with E it was in the middle of the night, which is horrid. there are other gentler options which don't involve crying!

22/01/2014 at 11:21

it's girls, cc. i swear it! (ok - i know it's not but ...). J was never really any trouble once he was off to sleep but he did go through a phase of not wanting to go to sleep at night. a bit of separation anxiety or something. leaving them to scream seems counter-intuitive, but i did go back in and reassure him every 1, 2, 3, 4 and then 5 minutes. never left it longer than 5 at a time and think it only took 1 or 2 x 5 minutes before he stopped. he was never yelling for more than about 25 minutes i don't think. E would go on for a LOT longer than that. and in the middle of the night too. it's very hard. but it does work. and i know if you have the patience (i don't) you can do more gradual withdrawal with them where they don't cry. but i really couldn't do that. not at 1, 2.30, 4 and 5.30 am!

now i have the problem where both of them are taking ages to fall asleep in the evenings. J can still be awake at 9 or 10pm. he goes to bed by 8 and ony has books in his room. no technology allowed after bathtime. but he still can't sleep. i blame bl00dy skylanders. he is obsessed with them, and is reading a skylanders book at the moment and i think it just fires him up too much. i bought him a book on islam in a sale in the works the other day in the hope that that would bore him to sleep (no offence intended - i'm sure you know what i mean. nothing too stimulating!). but he flicked through and found a section on self-flaggelation and has been raving about it ever since. argh!

22/01/2014 at 13:17

JT - i know with any of those catflaps that you can end up with the intruder in your house if your cat goes to investigate the banging on the flap and triggers it to open. that's what used to happen when we had tags which triggered the catflap. my cat used to sit on the inside watching the intruder banging at the flap and in the process it would trigger the flap to open!

or else the cat will bash so hard that they will actualy break down the catflap. one of mine did that once. she lost her collar in the night and rammed the catflap so hard that the whole thing popped out of the frame! that was expensive. new catflap AND new tags. gave up in the end. luckily we don't have too much of a problem where i am now...

22/01/2014 at 13:31

http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

These are the ones we recommend at work JT, and I've not heard of them letting in unwanted cats.  They seem pretty fool proof once your cat has the hang of it.

22/01/2014 at 13:37

We haven't had a catflap since moving into our rented house, so cat has to ask to go out/in. We thought it would be a right pain (we don't bother with a litter tray either) but has worked out fine. We kick him out at night too

Hope hand heals fast JT. You sound like you're doing so well with new baby (and the other two of course!).

We did a small amount of sleep training when Maggie was a few months old. Seemed hellish but I think I had new mother syndrome and it probably was only a couple of nights! Rosie probably did the same but got sleep trained 'by accident' because I was busy dealing with Maggie when she was crying. My girls really are super sleepers though, worst we get is 6am wake ups because they share a room and annoy each other then Maggie comes into our room to tell me Rosie has pooed 

CM, glad you feel better! I've never had an ear infection but hubby and both girls suffer with them.

Did bootcamp last night and almost 100% certain that one of the other girls, who I did NCT with, is pregnant too (with no.3). We were both doing the "alternative" exercises when the trainer suggested it. She is obviously still early days too but I'd love to talk to her about it as I could do with someone to talk to. Wondering whether to tell her about me and hope she tells me?

On the half marathon thing, appreciate all the comments and I'm still undecided! Have now got a scan date on the week before so might go right up to then before I decide. I most definitely won't be racing and my running at the moment involves walk breaks every mile so I am being incredibly sensible I really don't mind if it take me nearly 3 hours. But if I don't feel better soon I doubt I'll have the energy anyway or have done enough running. Might ask my PT tonight what she thinks.

Also 3x runs a week sounds great! I have actually bought the FIRST book cc mentioned as I was intending to use it to do my marathon training this time round. Thought 3 runs a week, plus one bootcamp and one pilates would still get me my sub 3.45 dream pb, without my ITB getting destroyed again. The book is very convincing, would recommend it. You do run the 3 runs harder than you would otherwise and they do really push the crosstraining too.

22/01/2014 at 13:47

I would sit in wait at the cat flap with a water gun, doubt 

it would come back after a few squirts in the face lol, I am a cat lover 

really, just not annoying stranger's cats in my house.

22/01/2014 at 13:52

CM- Camryn goes to bed at 9 and gets story then 

is sleeping by 9:30, she gets up at 8:45am so it's over 

11hrs sleep and she is only 5, so maybe J doesn't need 

to b sleeping til 9 or 10pm, depends when he's getting up and how easily he gets up 

in the morn.

22/01/2014 at 14:35

Had a fab day, 6mile run with 4xintervals (1st intervals in about 7months), 8 miles on exercise bike, a wander round poundworld 

and a bag full of goodies, plus purchased some miracle 

knickers from Dunnes which will hopefully solve chafing 

problems on long runs. Then a cappuccino child free bliss!

Making fudge with kids after school for 1st time, fingers crossed. 

Bn buying the new sweet making magazine, it's fab, made chocolate 

hearts last wk, fondant mice next wk

22/01/2014 at 14:45

not sure when J wakes. he has a sun-clock in his room which i set to 7.15. sometimes i hear him before then. he told me he woke at 7 this morning. sometimes i hear him much earlier. according to sleep charts, he needs 10hrs 45mins sleep a night, which he's not getting if he goes to sleep at 9am and wakes at 7. he's always needed a lot of sleep. he's not too bad in the mornings usually (even if he has not gone to sleep until 9) but he gets dreadful black bags under his eyes and quite often looks pale and frankly totally knackered. and occasionally he has utterly pathetic tired outbursts. i don't mind if he genuinely doesn't need much sleep - that's fine really. but my feeling is he needs more than he is getting! and he gets so anxious when he can't sleep. (just like his mum...)

just done hilly 6 miler. it was very hard work today. legs like lead!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.