Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,061 to 38,080 of 43,664 messages
22/01/2014 at 15:34

Oooh fudge!

Mine both go to bed at 7, and Matilda is still often asleep at 7am.  Eric sometimes wakes earlier but is happy in his cot so stays there - fortunately M is in a different room so we don't know if he's pooed till we go in and the smell hits us

Mine were both 'sleep trained' after 6 months, it took a few days like everyone said and voila, they both sleep beautifully.  Hard at the time but well worth it!  I don't like the sound of Scarlett at 2.5 though CC!

Did my 6 mile run at lunch - 4 miles at 7 min miling.  Hard.  Think I may be reconsidering my goal for the half.  But as long as I pace between 7-7.15 then I'll do 1.35 which would be good.  Just have to hope the training keeps going ok.

Saw osteo last night, he said my pelvis was now pretty much straight, and my SI joints were not locked.  My back muscles on the right were v tight so he did some deep, hard massage which is sore at the moment.  It's a hard one to stretch so need to do more of that.

Going to step Grandmother's funeral tomorrow in Arundel, we weren't close.  Going for my Grandpa really - I just feel it's the right thing to do (even though he's been dead 18 yrs!) 

22/01/2014 at 15:56

i have ended up with a long bedtime routine for my 2. starts (if a bath is involved which isn't every night!) at about 6.30pm and often doesn't end until about 8.30-9pm.

E is ready for stories by 6.45 - 7, but by the time i read her 3 (which is our negotiated number of stories) and she then reads to me, it's often 7.20. then i start on J. he reads to me; then i read to him. then it's 7.45 - 8, and i go back in to kiss E (as i have to promise to do - she is often still awake then!).then i get J into bed and leave him to read for 20 - 30 mins, so it's then 8.15 to 8.30. and i'm going into him to tell him to switch his light off.

then i go and get on with whatever and i hear him sobbing. so i go back in and tell him to write his thoughts down until he can sleep.

and at 9pm i'm checking again that his light is off (usually it is).

so basically from 6.30 - 9 pm i'm putting kids through some form of bedtime routine.

what am i doing wrong?!?!

22/01/2014 at 15:57

oh and that doesn't include the nights when J is out until 7.30pm at rugby training; or when we don't get home from drama until 6.30 and neither of them have had tea.

then it's even later than that...

22/01/2014 at 16:08

They have to both be in bed so I can listen to the Archers at 7   and even if we do in the night garden which doesn't end till 6.50 I still usually have them both down in 10 mins flat.  It's a bit more drawn out if hubby and I are both there as we do 1 each.

22/01/2014 at 16:18

I'm like you Caro, hard core, in bed by 6.59 and I'm cooking dinner at 7

The other evening, due to extreme sickness on my part, I had them both down and asleep by 6.30!

22/01/2014 at 16:29

i am a sucker for stories. they each have me reading to them for a good 20 mins. J reads to me for 10 mins too. and E now has a book to read which takes another 5 mins or so. so that's an hour of stories!! they won't settle on me reading to them both at the same time, sadly. i am reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to J (we've nearly finished it now). E has 3 goddawful princess / ballerina stories every night. different ones obviously. even so they drive me insane. but i tell myself that reading aloud to them is important. but i do wish the whole bloody thing didn't take so long!

22/01/2014 at 16:35

We read a couple of stories too, but am lucky at the mo as Rosie doesn't really want one and just crashes around the room, half listening while I read to Mags. Maggie will always then announce, after one or two books (godawful princess ones often), that she is very tired after a busy day and its time for sleep

22/01/2014 at 16:56

ah we have snuggles in my bed with book. i do love it. they get in with me - J often comes up and fiddles with his willy or something while i read to E and put her to bed. he then gets into my bed and i read to him (and carries on fiddling with his willy!). it is lovely. but it takes over an hour!!

in fact, quite often he brings a book up and reads to himself while i am reading to E. and then when it's his turn, he gets into bed with me for me to read to him and carries on trying to read his book, trying to convince me that he can listen to the story i'm reading while he reads his own. i don't fall for that one!

22/01/2014 at 17:15

Sorry that should have said Cam gets up at 7:45am, 

would have a hard time getting to school for 9 if she 

only got up 15mins earlier lol. So she has 10hrs 15mins sleep, but she is full of beans and wakes fine.

22/01/2014 at 17:19

yes i did wonder how you got into school if she got up at 8.45! thought perhaps she was still just doing half days in the afternoon!

22/01/2014 at 20:28

Bedtime is normally 7.30 ish here for all 3 girls, was 8 to night though. Hubby normally reads a wee story & then C(9) and M (3) listen to stories as they share a room. They normally fall asleep fairly quickly. R (7) has her own room and fafs about until about 9.30 pm and will not go to sleep, she will come downstairs wanting things and will try and sneek her DS up. I then have to hide it. She draws or make up stories etc. C & M are up about 6.30-7 am & R about 7.30 am but she often looks tired!

glad your feeling better CM. it's nice you spend the time reading to them, they will remember that I'm sure.

trying to decide whether I should enter a half marathon which is in 6 wks. Have only been running the odd 3 or 4 mile run in the last few months so don't know if I would manage it. It would be very slow I guess if I did do it but if I enter it might encourage me to run a bit more. Already missing my bike!!!! Can't wait to get back out there.

had a back, shoulder, neck massage today which helped some of the pain in my neck & back. I have a weak muscle in my back which of course gets very aggravated doing a 24hr bike event. Ouch. 

22/01/2014 at 20:30

No don't do half days here, they go in straight 9 til 3 

from the start, but don't start school til they r 4.5-5.5.

22/01/2014 at 20:33

We've had quite a few sleep battles over the last month as removing her dummy (couldn't suck it when she had chickenpox in her mouth) meant that whe couldn't soothe herself to sleep anymore. She was fine with the loss of the dummy but was taking 1-2 hours of serious mucking around before she would go to sleep which was driving me crazy!

I'm pretty strict on 7pm at latest (often aim for earlier) so that even if it takes her a long time to go to sleep (usually half an hour, last night an hour) she is still asleep at an ok time and also we get a childfree evening which is important for my sanity! She wakes between 6 and 7, normally about 6.30 but stays in her room until 6.50 when the monkey clock lets her get up!

Counting down to a childfree weekend!! We are leaving Matilda at the farm and going to stay at my sisters so that we can go to a wedding in wellington - can't wait!!! 

22/01/2014 at 20:36

RF - you are beginning to sound a lot like lotte. you've just done a 24hr bike event and are missing your bike already. nutter!

i have been trying to encourage J to write if he can't sleep. he doesn't like the act of writing (likes making up stories, just doesn't like writing them down and his handwriting is hideous). i think that reading (and particularly the sorts of stories he likes!) is too stimulating for him, so getting him to do something he doesn't really enjoy that much is more likely to make him want to go to sleep!  i really want him to start reading books other than those about fictional characters that fight but he isn't interested. i think a nice classic novel would make him drift off much quicker lol

22/01/2014 at 20:45

lol CM, up until last month Cam had the usual gruffalo, 

stick man, room on the broom stuff, but started reading her 

novels instead now. We had The lion, the witch and the wardrobe 

until last wk and have started Charlotte's web now, just happen 

to b my two favourite books when I was a child. Then think 

we will do the rest of the Narnia books, then maybe Harry Potter.

My Dad used to read me The hobbit and Lord of the rings, no 

wonder I had an overactive imagination.

22/01/2014 at 20:51

Fudge did not turn out, L wanted to stir her's and it ended up burnt 

so we had to stop cooking it too soon, it turned out like soft caramel 

which I spent an hr picking out the burnt bits and rolling into balls and rolling 

in nuts/crushed biscuits/vermicelli. I stirred Camryn's and got it to 116degrees, did everything as it said in recipe but it turned out like soft 

toffee

22/01/2014 at 20:54

Fudge is a real pain - I have had so many batches that have not set over the years grrrrr

Camlo    pirate
22/01/2014 at 20:59

Quick skim from me

Yippee to wins, fab mummying, entering races and getting better (cm)

BOO to drawn out bedtine routines (no way!!), niggles, cat invaders, funerals, expensive kit and sleep training (well sleep training is a good thing but is stressful hence it is a boo not a yippee)

JT - hope your hand gets better. 

Sonia - no advice on racing when preg, I also read the report about the woman doing MDS when preg but most races surely can wait? 

22/01/2014 at 22:52

Phew CC you are a legend with all that juggling!!! What glute strengthening exercises do you do by the way? Something I really need to do more regularly. I really want to get back to pilates but they have changed the timetable and it is nowhere near as convenient - ie 6.15am WTF?!!

22/01/2014 at 22:59

Just a quick hello from me - I am reading but either nothing to post or too tired!  Bed now...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.