Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,081 to 38,100 of 47,185 messages
12/12/2012 at 09:45

Vixo - sounds like you definitely deserved that rest on Monday! I bet you also did loads of other jobs as well, without even noticing it tho

Lotte - terrible news about your cousin. I hope he is found safe and sound

As you may have seen on FB, we lost one of our kittens on Tuesday. He went out first thing and didn't come back all day, or all night. By the next morning, J was frantic and very distraught. I spoke to the neighbours and prepared to put some leaflets out while E was at school in the afternoon. N came down from Birmingham and went into the woods to see if he could find him. And he was stuck 20ft up a tree, where he had presumably been since Tuesday morning. The stupid animal. It took N about an hour to coax him down as he was too high to reach really but N took stepladders and a big stick and basically poked him until he started to run down the trunk. He is absolutely fine but what a stupid animal. Particularly as it had been -3 overnight on Tuesday night and he was stuck up a tree in all that cold.

12/12/2012 at 09:47
I saw that on fb and was so pleased you'd found him CM. Ours have done that a few times and I hate that feeling of not knowing where they are. We have ended up walking round the road a few times shaking a box of food and hoping they turn up - daft animals!
12/12/2012 at 09:50
Oh and Lotte, I really hope they've found your cousin, it sounds like an awful situation for everyone.

Can't believe that woman gave birth in a helicopter over the Shetlands yesterday - Not the most relaxing of environments!
12/12/2012 at 09:51

I still have the most evil cold. I have a hacking cough and a really sore ear and am full of snot and feeling very sorry for myself. Since September I have probably only had about 3 weeks without a virus of some description. Am so fed up. And fat now too. . No running of course

Reading with interest about CC's J and his sitting / handwriting. I don't think J is too bad at the sitting thing, but he is not good at writing at all. He does now write though - spontaneously writes little notes and also writes 'songs'. I am encouraging it and ignoring the terrible handwriting and dodgy spelling. The spelling isn't too bad. Although he did write 'miru' for mirror the other day, which I did have to point out to him! I have been reassured by the teacher that the spelling thing will also improve through reading and he does plenty of that. Most of all though, he's just a lovely happy enthusiastic boy, who can't wait to do new things at school, and that has to be a good thing. I almost think we put too much pressure on the kids to do too many things and achieve too much stuff. I find it quite ironic that kids can still be in nappies overnight at 7 and that is considered to be nothing too much to worry about, and yet if they aren't doing cursive writing and writing stories and reading fluently we are made to think that there is something wrong with them. surely if bodies mature at very different rates, so do brains and co-ordination and the ability to concentrate.

rant over!

12/12/2012 at 12:11
I always say to parents that children all walk and talk at different ages so we shouldn't expect it to be different with anything else cm. Makes me mad, our Year 2 teachers are just as you describe, drives me potty!

Vixo - know that feeling well... My favourite is being told he's done Ted's lunchbox, to find it contains a sandwich... Oh and both mine were born at 38+5, you never know!

Had a horrid night, kept waking up and the world was spinning. Like being very drunk but without the fun bit! Had docs appt to review meds (being kept on everything till I see the consultant) and I now have vertigo too! Hoping it goes soon, it's horrid!
12/12/2012 at 14:09

missed the birthing in a helicopter moment of the news! Not relaxing at all!!

Vixo - Monday sounded like it was much needed and well earned. Definitely right to make the most of it.  On weeks when my husband is home on a Friday and could (in theory) do the school run ... he gets up, makes cup of tea for himself and occasionally me and then wanders off and locks himself in computer room 'doing stuff' so he may as well not be here anyway ... and then comes out to say bye to the kids and glowers at me for being shouty and grumpy!!!

Two sleeps - come on, come on ... we are also on tenterhooks too EF!

JT - that sounds nasty, when is consultant appt? Hope not too long and you feel better soon.  No, J has never mentioned giddiness.  I was a nightmare for sitting still too as a kid I think - I would never sit on chair properly, always had a leg either folded under me or curled around my chair leg!!! So what with that and not keeping my text books at right angles to the table (left handed) and my continual chatting I was a nightmare really ... and then I wonder why I have one child who doesn't shut up and can't sit still and another one in speech therapy!!!

CM - phew to getting the cat back. Totally agree with your comments about expectation of kids.  J does like writing short stuff, but he loves drawing up charts for things - has loads of them in his room for different things!  His spelling is pretty good thankfully. We'll get there in the end.  Hope your germs bu**er off too - not fair.

S had a speech therapy appt at 9.15 and I was to be at work by 10 this morning, then I remembered I never confirmed the appt so wasn't even sure it would happen but thankfully it did and I was only a couple of minutes late - phew.  Feel like i'm dropping all the balls at the moment as I'd also forgotten to tell school S would be in late.

Right, best be off here to get chicken in oven to cook while on school run so i can give them tea before the 2 hour epic that is Js guitar lesson in Nairn!!!

Lotte - any news?

12/12/2012 at 14:10

oh and this one made me laugh yesterday - we were talking about the christmas story and then Js mind clearly moved to Easter 'mummy, how do you bang nails into peoples hands to hang them on the cross? that must really hurt? did it rip his hands?'

12/12/2012 at 15:18

Vixo, your description of your 'morning off' made me laugh, fantasy world indeed!  All too familiar a story to many of us on here I guess.  12/12/12 would have been a cool birth date I guess, my friend here had her son last year on 11/11/11 which is a great one to remember.  I'm truly embarassed to say that I keep forgetting Max's birthday date .  Was online yesterday doing photo calendars for the family and added in Max's birthday but got the day wrong.  Luckily checked it before ordering, was 2 days out!! How bad is that?

EF, your insomniac's countdown to Christmas really made me laugh, and that was even after a rubbish night's sleep!  Mr TT is really struggling to sleep without medication at the moment and was tossing and turning all night, combined with my big bump and a massive thunderstorm which eventually brought Max in to us at about 5:00am, does not equal a good night's sleep. 

EF, I can remember how stressful my first 12 weeks were (and that was with not knowing anything for the first 4!), so can totally sympathise with how you must be feeling and how it must be dragging on.  Good that you can take a little time off, make the most of it and know that we are all here cheering on you and little EF (may there just be one!!).

Glad to hear that some of you are finally seeing some better health but can't believe some are STILL suffering.  Get Well Wishes to all who need them from me.

JT, do you think you would like a 3rd?  Would be tempting even if only to see if it is as reliable on arrival date as your other 2

CC - your life sounds as hectic as ever.  I know that sticking a chicken (haha I actually read your commment as 'get children in the oven' at first) in the oven would definitely fall by the wayside if I was running around as much as you.

Walked with the running group last night.  One of the girls ran a marathon in Tucson, Arizona on Sunday so walked with me.  She has run 5 now but got really sick at about mile 22, walked the last 4 miles while throwing up .  Was hot apparently and very dry so despite taking on a lot of water she thinks she was just dehydrated.

12/12/2012 at 15:40

another insomniac here, although i don't even try and do without my medication now. i prioritise it over everything else just about (including other medication which it conflicts with) because i know that i just cannot cope for long without sleep. i have been off antidepressants for a year now - having been on them since J was born. but i can't stay asleep unless i take my sedating antihistamine!

i managed to get J's birthdate wrong on his moshi monster wesbite logon. i got the right numbers but the wrong way round. i put 0709 and he is 0907. haha. have to pretend i was just being american!

12/12/2012 at 15:45

CM, can you please remind me again what your medication is and whether it is prescription only or over the counter?

Today is a great day for me as 12/12/12 is good in both English and American!

12/12/2012 at 16:14

i take phenergan 25mg.  i try and just make do with 1 tablet but sometimes i have to take 2. it is available here over the counter but only if you say it's for allergic reactions / travel sickness. they don't, for some reason, like to give it out for insomnia. it's not addictive and my GP is much happier to prescribe it for me long-term for my insomnia rather than prescribe me anti-depressants just to help me sleep or any other form of sleeping tablet. it says on the packet not to take it long term and pharmacists tell you not to take it long term but the GP says it is very safe, and she takes it too.  however, it doesn't work for everyone. and if you drink alcohol with it, it does tend to make you very woozy.

12/12/2012 at 16:15

well I have just collected kids and J had just been sick before I turned up, so that's me at home for the next 48 hours, much as it's annoying as I have to canx work shift tmrw etc, secretly I am a bit relieved as I might get some other stuff done!!! And I can get some running in on the treadmill too so all not lost!  Hoping he's got what ever I had Sunday eve and it will not be long and drawn out, apparently first thing he said was 'I hope my sister doesn't get it' - he's very kind-hearted, said sister - well she then thumped him in the stomach but didn't know why!!!

12/12/2012 at 16:17

I can cope with small amounts of sleep but totally agree that it is one of the most destructive things!!

Good to hear your got out for a walk TT, but that sounds pretty unpleasant on the sleep front - obv hubby pretty stressed at the moment. (())

Chicken hasn't happened in the end - it was in freezer and I defrosted it but just not convinced it will be OK, and as we already have voms am going for pizza instead!!

12/12/2012 at 16:20

Thanks CM, shall see if we can get that over the counter here.  I don't like him taking the sleeping tabs he has got so often and the prescription he got when we were back i UK will only last for a little while.

CC, ugh!  Hope he is better very quickly, and what a sweetie to show such concern for his sister, even if it wasn't reciprocated!

12/12/2012 at 16:27

oh no, cc. that is so sweet of J too. my J would be the same, and my E would then probably also do what S did!

i can cope with around 5 hours sleep a night. but when i'm not taking medication, i get about 45 minutes. i fall asleep, then wake up after less than an hour and can't get back to sleep again. i can't cope with that!

hope Mr TT can get the meds over the counter and that they work. i do know that they don't always. can he go back to the doctor in the US? don't know how sympathetic they will be. my old GP said there was nothing they can do, yet this one prescribed phenergan for me straight away

12/12/2012 at 16:40

Hear hear to needing a rest Vixo and  to hubby's attempts of "help"!

TT - speaking of completing a marathon throwing up, a friend of mine did the Mexico Ironman recently (her son is 11 months old!) and started throwing up in the sea as it was so rough but completed it, despite regularly throwing up through all sections!! Crazy...

And speaking of throwing up...I have a poorly boy fast asleep on the sofa here  Typical after first extra morning of work, feel really guilty now!  He was full of cold this morning then got progressively wheezier throughout the morning at Grandma's.  Took him home after work, gave him some Calpol and he threw up about 10 mins later.  Has since thrown up about 5 times in 3 hours .  Doc came and gave him an inhaler which helped and he perked up momentarily.  Got one on prescription and I gave him it tho didn't seem to help as much.   Think the wheezing is making him sick  tho slightly worried he didn't even keep his Ribena down after doc had gone.  Typing onehanded so back later.

12/12/2012 at 18:35
Jg Archie was like that on Friday for about six hours. It gradually got less and then stopped completely. Hope that's the case for you too.

Cc - poor J! My two would do the same too. Second child thing ii think!

Cm - hope you begin to perk up.

TT - you used to be able to get phenergan for children so as cm says it must be pretty safe! And I would love another, not sure hubby would be convinced!

Well, I packed all the bags today for hubby to forget to send Ted in with his school bag with his gloves in!!!! It hasn't got above freezing all day. Eejit. Thank goodness I could legitimately blame him when school said,he'd got too cold. I'm helping out on the school trip tomorrow to the Heritage Park (partially down a mine!) I've just bought him long Johns!!!!
12/12/2012 at 20:25

vixo - thank link was great - just ordered funky merino wool socks for mum and dad and a pair of waterproof teva trainers for J which were reduced to £15!!!! Well-chuffed. Some other lovely stuff on there too and fabulous bargains but being strict - ie not spending what I don't have!! Thank you very much

12/12/2012 at 20:29

JT - Aidan will not wear gloves and it was sub zero all day here too.  Its really annoying me but as we are having tantrums about most things the gloves are getting left!

12/12/2012 at 20:33

Vixo - just read your post, my friend this afternoon was just saying that she gets everything ready and her husband then strolls off with the pram!  After I had the voms Alan woke me up at 8.20am to say he was going to work and had managed to not get anyone dressed!  I normally leave at 8.30am for the school run so I had to organise Martha getting her uniform on and her fruit ready.  I swear men are on a different planet half the time!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.