Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,101 to 38,120 of 45,497 messages
18/03/2013 at 18:14
Yup, stand your ground TT! There are a few medical reasons to have it done, but it's not done here all that often, and foreskins arent supposed to be retractile until theyre older anyway. Tell them to keep their hands away from the knives!!
18/03/2013 at 18:15
At least it wasn't caro's post at the top of the new page!
18/03/2013 at 19:07
Fab 10k Vixo and good training all around from everyone else.
Boo to crap opening hours- makes me laugh when people send a 'sanitised' reply just to placate you. Surely it's discrimination against single parents to only open when there is no childcare options!?
TTid - hospital patients usually like a fresh flannel and simple wash things, or cotton vest, magazines or hand cream.
Hope Dr gave some advice re sore winky, he wouldn't have a tight foreskin if he played with it as much as my boys do! Archie has had a circ to reduce risk of infection with his kidney probs - was straight forward and no probs after.
Knee a bit better today so think I could run again tomorrow, results are out for the race but loads of mistakes and omissions so hope they get it sorted. I would be gutted if I ran a really tough race and wasn't even on the results.
18/03/2013 at 19:15
Lol Caro and Vixo!

Well, just been to the doc and he has strep throat which I think we would just call tonsillitis. Apparently that would have also caused 'winkie' symptoms. Vixo?

We are definitely planning to keep Max fully intact. If he does have problems you can apparently get a steroid cream which will loosen things up.

Oscar tested clear for strep throat but we have anti bs for him too as a precaution and to hopefully clear up his wheezy chest.
18/03/2013 at 19:17
Double lol Camlo about loose foreskins!
18/03/2013 at 20:14
Don't know TT, no connection that I know of, but I'm not a winkie expert! But yes, strep throat is tonsillitis, or at least bacterial tonsillitis - the bug is streptococcus. At least you've got an answer though, and even the Americans would struggle to justify a circumcision for tonsillitis!

Does your friend read? Books or audio books if she's well enough? If it was me I'd really like some knitting or crochet stuff, but that's quite niche, and probably not for everyone!
18/03/2013 at 20:23
Thanks for hospital visit suggestions. I have decided not to go tonight in case I pass on Max's germs. If she is still there in a few days I will go then. I think the suggestion best suited for her will be hand cream and maybe some lip salve. Great ideas.
18/03/2013 at 20:46
cripes - can you imagine "dr I have a sore throat" "no problem, just lie down and I'll whip your winky off"
18/03/2013 at 21:05

Ouch, making me wince with all the circumcision talk, hope he is all right TT.

Benedict is trying to ruin me, Vixo very jealous of your sleep.  Benedict likes to wake 2 hourly.  He's rubbish and I had a slightly better night on Friday as he was coming down with something.  No idea what to do with him, his top two teeth are just through and obviously paining him, I even took him to the doc today to check he hasn't got an ear infection.  Painkillers make no difference either, still every 2 hours, crying like he's being tortured and the only thing that quiets him is milk.  Anyway, had to get that off my chest, don't think there is an answer apart from time and teeth, he's just so much worse that Martha and Aidan were.

I could be doing some running but I'm too bloody knackered most of the time!

18/03/2013 at 21:21
How old is he now Kinsey? Poor you, touching lots of wood Eric is a great sleeper, but bad teether, but even then drugs shut him up.

RF oh my god, respect woman! Don't know how you did that. Was it very cold? How long did you stop for each lap? Did you do a race report? Might need to go back and look for it as now it will make sense.

Made goats cheese and sundries tomato risotto for dinner, it came from a recipe on the triathletes world website. Yum! But hardly healthy!
18/03/2013 at 21:30

TT - well I'm no expert on little winkies (apart from one unfortunate encouter with a partcularly un-endowed guy at Uni), but 2 little boys in Issie's class have had circumcisions in the last year as they were having some problems down there. Didn't like to ask exactly what the issue was but as Vixo says there are some medical reasons to get it done, just maybe get a second (and third) opinion before you let them do it. LOL at the idea of circumcision as a treatment for tonsilitus though!

Kinsey - you have my total sympathy. Lack of sleep is an absolute nightmare. It won't last forever though, even though it might feel like it will right now. Having said I still feel like mine are conspiring against me to make sure I have as little sleep as possible; went to bed late Friday night and of course they were all up by 6.30am jumping on our heads, then this morning when I have to be up and out of the house for work at 7am they're all still in bed when I leave! Gggrr!

RF - watched your programme on the way home, you were fab and after seeing the course and conditions have even more respect for your massive achievement. What a totally mad race! Are you going back to do it again next year? 

Right, must go and drink last nights left over wine, wouldn't want it going off now would we !

18/03/2013 at 21:43
Rf you're mad! Just watched it. Well done again. Weirdly I also know the doctor who was featured riding round Arthur's seat. He's an orthopod I've used as an expert but he's also a friend of a QC friend of mine so I've cone across him on Facebook a lot!
18/03/2013 at 21:47
Ps katen, i snorted at the poor chap at uni
18/03/2013 at 21:59
He's nearly 9 months Caro. I'm in a vicious circle now as its easier to feed him back to sleep than put up with tortured wailing and threat of waking the other two up!
18/03/2013 at 22:18
Kinsey - pick a day and be firm, no more pandering and tough love for a few nights! You may have to offload the others though as Tom managed 2 hrs solid crying the 1st time, settled woke and was another long stretch but 2nd night was better and slept through the 3rd. If you haven't the stomach for that (I didn't although my hubby did) then remember babies have to learn not to wake frequently and one longer day nap is a good way to go if he currently has 2 shorter ones?
Risotto sounds fab although not actually sure if I like goats cheese. keep trying it (like olives) but not convinced yet....
18/03/2013 at 22:23
Sorry Kinsey, that sounds tough. O is still quite erratic, and I was up with her twice last night. She had been going down really well in the evenings, but then about 10 days ago she started waking up about 30-40 minutes after initially going to sleep and absolutely refusing to go back to sleep - lots of tortured wailing! We found that if we brought her downstairs she'd quite happily spend an hour on the playmat and then sit with us, and then I'll feed her and she goes to bed about the same time as us. Tonight is the first night since then that she's stayed asleep in the evening. There were a few practice wails and we both thought she'd be joining us for dinner again, but remarkably she's stayed down. Hope this doesn't mean she's awake half the night!

RF - I watched it too. Good for you, you came across really well!
19/03/2013 at 00:02

LOL at the tonsilitis treatment .  J was very tight when he was small, the doctor suggested that hubby and I helped loosen it up a bit, but we never felt comfortable with that, anyway he seems to have grown out of it now and I don't think there are any problems ... time will tell I guess!!  It never got infected though, but it's certainly not uncommon, one of my friends lad has had a similar issue.

Kinsey - sympathies, Scarlett went from being a joyful sleeper to a nightmare ... I agree with Camlo though I'm afraid, tough love was what cured it in the end and we put up with it for a loooooong time. When we cracked it we kicked ourselves for leaving it so long.  It only took a week, with the odd relapse of course.  And a few times with the relapses I've been too soft but once tough love kicked in again, job done.  Totally miserable with lack of sleep though.

Risotto sounds yum.

Just had a pot luck supper with three friends of mine ... always hosted by the person who is without babysitting, try and do it once a month-ish. So tonights random menu was 'everything soup' from one friend, pancetta, ricotta & fig wrap things + crab cakes another friend, caramelised onion tart and tenderstem brocolli from me, and some super-yummy delia flourless apple pudding from the other friend.  All washed down with glasses of water and mugs of builder or herbal tea ... far too early in week to hit wine plus all bar two of us driving.

Inch of snow on the ground outside, morning school run could be interesting. Best be away to bed me thinks!!

19/03/2013 at 08:05
Was going to post yesterday that I found the show on i player. Totally amazing and totally nuts woman!
19/03/2013 at 12:36
I've downloaded the show to watch on my phone too. Can't wiat! Day off work today - e snoring now so I'm gonna nap too.

Laughed out loud and some of the winkie comments, esp Caro! But glad u have diagnosis for M and O TTid. Will post properly later. CC - loved climbing pics on FB and pot luck supper sounded yum as did risotto Caro. Now, sleeeeeep.
19/03/2013 at 12:40

Urgh, not something to look forward to, didn't have to do it with Aidan, we just got there in the end and with Martha it wasn't much of a success either however they are both good sleepers now so I live in hope!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.