Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,161 to 38,180 of 46,085 messages
20/03/2013 at 21:35
Today M came home in her plimsolls because she put her school shoes in a sink full of water.......'but it was Anna's idea' ...so that makes it ok then?? Er no!
20/03/2013 at 21:36
Love it JT! And an iPad is a tool for teachers surely. Easier research on the hoof?

Sorry re Archie and his bullies again.

Watching OBEM from my hotel room and the lady who had the terrible traumatic birth with shoulder dystocia is back again - so soon!! Blimey!
20/03/2013 at 21:36
drop test solution (copper sulphate?) is set to detect levels of 12.5 and drop must sink but mine bobbed on the top so defo weren't going to let me donate. Doubt it will be very low but 20 mile race only 4 days ago might have pulled me down a bit.
CC night out sounds great, I would love to see Eddie Izzard!
JT - lol to kids thinking. Archie wouldn't go to football practice on Monday which I was really surprised about. 10 mins after hubby left with Tom he did a big poo then announced he was ready to go.
CM guess actual school places are easier to predict than Pre-school. Bet there are some kids who could swap but of course school won't ask them!
21/03/2013 at 03:32
Haha JT, so you're the person Nick Ross is speaking to every month when he says 'don't have nightmares'!

Have 2 cough-y boys tonight. Any suggestions as to what to give them to soothe throats? Max has some warm milk and we gave him some Calpol before bed but he was up 3 hours later coughing.

Have just discovered my friend's cancer originated in her appendix. I have never heard of that happening before.

Am so tired, yawn! Really hope O will give us a decent spell of sleep tonight. It's 11:30 now and am trying to get a good bottle into him in the hopes that he sleeps for 5+ hours when I'm finished.

Brookie, hope the MS goes soon. Not too long until your scan and the end of your first tri.
21/03/2013 at 04:43
Ttid - that's super rare! A friends dad was diagnosed with that a few years back - only 1 surgeon in NZ had operated on that type before. He survived though and is doing so well now. Hope O gave you a decent sleep!
Better work day today - refusing to take all the crap on board - makes life much less stressful!
21/03/2013 at 08:08
I have just seen something on line about putting Vicks vaporub on the soles of feet with socks on to stop coughing. Supposed to be brilliant. Have you ever tried it?
21/03/2013 at 08:28

My sister swears by that - she was told by her doctor to do it to her little boy and it worked, her husband has also done it!  I did try it the other week but haven't drawn any conclusions!!!

Yes, definitely banish the crap from life!

Night out in Aberdeen isn't until May but I am excited anyway!

My cousin and his wife had their first child yesterday - so excited and pleased for them

Gorgeous morning here today - heavy frost but blue skies and sunsine. Long run planned to day but my quads feel trashed!!! Think it's the shock of some speedier running recently and running down hills ...

21/03/2013 at 09:46

Feeling better. Just had chat with Mum of the boys upsetting Harry. She is lovely so am sure it will all help and I feel I got the timing right as wanted to be sure I had all the facts first. Phew! Hopefully a 2 week rest bite will help too. We talked about them meeting up but I think best to have a break for two weeks and start again.

My legs still like carp too and feeling a bit queasy too .

Still 6 easy this morning at 8:30s. Off to get my haircut and coloured ...That will make me feel better!!

Then the usual swimming lessons later and then I need to do some speed on the treadmill as hubbie out for a curry.

21/03/2013 at 09:48
blue skies + sunshine here too, but I am working all day + it's my rest day anyway. May go for walk in the afternoon tho.

Mum of one of my minded kids told me about the vicks on feet thing a couple of wks ago + swears it worked, haven't tried it myself.
21/03/2013 at 13:47

Argh I hate when you miss a few days and then its impossible to catchup. So sorry in advance for not name checking everyone.

Loved RFs tv debut. You were great missus.

Sorry to hear about your bad race MM. That is the worst feeling when you are in a race and you realise very early the legs just aren't up to the job that day. I still have nightmares about my first attempt in Glasgow for sub 1.30. Everything had gone well in training and it should have been easy (!)  but from mile 1 I just couldn't get my legs to play. Was off pace from the start. Thought about  pulling out at halfway but didn't want to be stuck in the middle of glasgow with no idea how to get back to start. Kept plodding on and decided not to cross the line at the end, only I didn't notice all the barriers until it was too late and then I couldn't turn back for all the runners and had no option but to cross the line. Think it was 1.35 but I ws gutted (and then came down with a grotty cold the following day which explained things). Then my redemption half 6 months later in Edinburgh and the bloody course was long by half a mile (some policemean had moved the turning cone) and I missed my target again. Nearly gave up on halfs altogether. Anyhoo you have had great training and it will all come together for you on the day it really matters. Keep the faith.

Twit twoo at the hairdoos, MM and JT

Manic week here. It always is full tilt but this week we also have the secondary schools music festival which Soph had been playing in for 3 days so adding that into the mix (having to be at the concerts) and really it is crazy. I need to clone myself. Hubby and I have barely said a word to each other, passing on the doorstep all week! Gala concert tonight and then Dylan is away to Aberdeen on a swimming trip tomorrow night and Sophie and hubby and athletics club are on the boat on Sat night for an athletics competition (dylan will also join them there).

Thanks for asking about the quad. It was very sore after I did it last thursday, and after an aborted run on friday I did nothing all weekend. The only exercise I partook was that of my drinking arm (Chinese and drinks with the girls on Sat night!) Tried a few tentative miles on Monday which was just a dull ache and it has steadily improved since then so fingers crossed. Feeling a bit out of sorts with it being taper time too but at least that means I haven't pushed the quad too far too soon.

Hope the bullying issues get sorted Camlo and MM.

Now rushing off for boys swimming lesson. Hopefully better chance to catch up over the weekend.

21/03/2013 at 20:07

Just a quickie - still have a poorly Eric and given that Matilda is/was rarely ill and definitely not as a baby I was just wondering at what point I should be worrying!  I don't have a kid's thermometer so took it this evening under his arm using an oral one, and it was 39.3C.  I wasn't too worried until I read that the armpit version is considered 0.5-1C lower than oral which makes it 39.8-40.3.  He was ok this am (after calpol) ate all breakfast, played, had lunch but then went downhill again at M's swimming lesson, started burning up, fell asleep on me then puked when we got home.  I gave him calpol immediately and put him to bed and he's asleep.  I was thinking of more calpol just before I go to bed - do you think that's a good idea?

He is supposed to be having vacs tomorrow, but obviously won't be having them, but I'll take him in to the nurse anyway and get her to check his temp properly.

Hubby out, time for food!

21/03/2013 at 21:25
Hope he is ok Caro, I finally bought a Braun ear thermometer last year, has been very handy as we have all been so ruddy ill recently.

Glad your quad is ok Lotte.
21/03/2013 at 21:30
Nurofen is much better for high temps than calpol so if you can get some or have some I would give that to him. And if temps don't come down for long with that, I'd do gp...
21/03/2013 at 21:35
He had calpol at 6.30 and has been asleep since, so I'll give him some ibuprofen before I go to bed.

Watching born to be different rather than more giving birth programmes. Although on OBEM last night there was a v small child watching mummy in labour! No thanks.
21/03/2013 at 21:41
Give him a combo of ibuprofen and paracetamol caro, and if his temp stays up with both of them, or he gets floppy/less responsive, then he needs to see someone. If you're concerned then no one would (should!) object to seeing him at any point - go to a good a&e if it's the middle of the night, rather than messing about with out of hours. Hope he's settled down though, and you all get some sleep!
21/03/2013 at 21:42
Cross post Caro, hope he stays ok.

We're watching the programme about avoiding errors in surgery!!
21/03/2013 at 22:35
hope poorlies get better soon, stuffed with cold, tummy ache from eating too much and tired out so going to sleep ....now!
22/03/2013 at 08:28

hope eric is ok this morning and schooltime brings no new traumas

about to take my car for its 100,000 mile service, so am anticipating traumas of my own later. then a whole day of conference calls and typing up review findings. gah. also have my friend coming over later for a chat. she's running a local 20 mile race at the weekend and i'm going along to lend some support. don't get kids back until monday am as it's holiday time so the normal routine doesn't apply. HATE IT. but we are off to legoland - hoping our friends from edinburgh will be able to get down to join us with all the snow that's around. none here but plenty en route from edinburgh i imagine!

22/03/2013 at 10:08

managed to jog a whole 0.6k along the relatively flat section of road at the top of the hill on the way back from the garage. woohooo! no pain. but definitely no gain from that short distance. will do it again in reverse picking car up. in fact, may jog more of it as it is all downhill - just over a mile

also just had email to say that E has reception place for september.  not that there should really have been any doubt because we are in catchment and her brother is already at the school, but you can never be 100% about these things!! (paranoid...)

22/03/2013 at 13:01
Woohoo CM. fab news. Go steady though hey! No snow here just pesky rain and wind and cold. Got to walk to church now for Easter school service and its pouring. Bah!

Had positive session on treadmill last night. 8x600 in 5:58 pace and 2 miles at MP. Didn't feel flowing but got it done anyway. Rest day today, then got to fit in 2 runs Tom around a full day in Taunton on coaching course. Hmmmm!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.