Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,161 to 38,180 of 47,094 messages
14/12/2012 at 19:46

It's just awful isn't it TT 

14/12/2012 at 21:04
Oh flip TT, I haven't heard any news today........ How totally awful
Thinking of u CM ((((()))))
Whoop whoop EF, magnificent news missus, so happy that there's one healthy heartbeat and possibly another???!!!!! We must have been walking along princess st similar time to you!!! Lol!
Dirty dancing was brilliant, had fun singing along. Came straight back to Novotel at lauriston place as horrible cold rain. Hubby downstairs swimming with girls so I've had an hours peace of no whining, yay!!!!
14/12/2012 at 21:19

RF - I went to see that a couple of weeks ago with friends, we had a ball!  Glad you had a great time.

TT - That's a really difficult one.  All I can think is, it has happened here (Dunblane) and maybe it's because the country is so much bigger that is appears to happen more frequently?

Lotte - forgot to say, so glad he was found.  Just hope the medical staff can start to sort things out.

Slightly strange request! I'm doing a Secret Santa next week and there's a standing joke with the girl I've got about 50 Shades of Grey.  Was thinking of doing a joke box for her with bits, ahem, from the book.  Does anyone have suggestions of what to put in .  I've not actually read it so just trying to glean from the 'net what to do.  Have picked up on the 'Laters Baby' catch phrase which I've managed to get a 'Sexy Santa' that I've superimposed her husband's face on to so printed the photo with that written underneath!  (http://www.faceinhole.com/us/create/sexy-santa/b0bc3135-70b6-44af-b241-d4e099f8e35c/)

14/12/2012 at 22:05

Yes, JT, I do get your point about UK not being immune to these things but population here only 5 times that of UK and seems to happen a LOT more than 5 times as often.  Couldn't even begin to understand how the parents are feeling now.  20 kids dead plus gunman.  His mum was the kindergarten teacher.  Ugh.

Haven't read 50 Shades either so can't help I'm afraid.  Sounds like a good idea though.  Come on ladies, 'fess up - who's read it?? 

15/12/2012 at 07:13
I've not read it either am afraid!
Sleep is over rated.............. !!!!!! Didn't get much!!! 4 of us in one room, hubby noisy breathing, C awake at half 5, ahhhhhhh knackered. Wish i had taken my running stuff as could have run round the meadows just like old times!!!! Also didn't take swim stuff, grrrrr. Hubby n girls just about to go down to swim pool again. Don't like being squashed in a hotel room!
That's so awful about the school shooting, 20 kiddies, so so sad. I will never ever forget the day of the dunblane shooting.
Hope not too bad hangovers today, CM? Karen?
15/12/2012 at 16:14
Shocking news from US.

Haven't read shades of grey either

No hangover for me. But tried a run and spent half an hour coughing so hard I thought I was going to spew!
15/12/2012 at 17:28
I havn't read it either but a pair of those furry handcuffs? Most gift shops seem to have things like that in the joke gift range!
15/12/2012 at 20:01
Yippee EF, that is fabulous news, school plays and fab parties/ cinema trips.
Boo to lacklustre N, more spews, lacklustre teacher, poorly Ben and awful news in USA.
I have read the first grey book but to be honest once she had been ****** once it was all repetative..... Started to skip the sex pages so only took a day or 2 to finish the whole book. I would suggest a scarf.
CM I think you need a bucket of oomph for Christmas. NO WAY would I offer to spend a day with my ex at Lapland (kids or no kids) and NO WAY would I watch my current partner subsidise his ex with no valid reason or be kept secret from his daughter?!!! Only once a boyfriend compromised my financial state by buying expensive jeans with a cheque which then bounced.... He was out within a week. I spent years trying to please but only when I stopped did I realise I could still be happy but with people who were on my wavelength. You deserve so much xxxx
Lotte - so glad your cousin was found OK, hope the psychotic episode was triggered by something they can identify and therefore only be a one off.
Still not got tree but have at least ordered some pillow pets and a DS game online today...
Off to sample some mulled wine...back later.....
15/12/2012 at 21:02
Haven't seen news but shooting sounds terrible.
Not sure if I've said awesome news EF!!!!!!
Been down at the farm for the weekend. Matilda had a blast as usual, fab weather etc. Went with Mum and met sis and niece at an owl/farm place! Pleased to report that M's walking strike has ended! She walked/ran for 1 1/2 hours round the farm!
Got mum and dads Christmas tree for them and will be back down next week for a week.
Very busy week this week, work dramas rumble on but am less bothered as have full support of work etc. can't wait for 2.5 weeks off though!!! Hope the sun continues to shine!!
16/12/2012 at 00:07
I feel a hangover coming on.......work Xmas party.....best go bed then,,woth ibuprofen pre emtively! Night!
16/12/2012 at 09:41
Morning! Still in bed, with paper and coffee, family gone out and left me in peace! God I drank too much rough white wine last night! Good seeing everyone, even chatted nicely to my soon to be ex boss......need to keep him on my good side as my hopefully future employers should call him for a reference next wk.....yup, that's right, I've been offered a job!

I kept quiet about it as didn't want to tempt fate, but when I went to the vet show last month I met lots of recruitment agents and one of them told me about this practice in n London that was looking to expand and add a part time vet at one of its branches. I went for an interview 10 days ago, then last tues I went in and spent a few hrs at the branch with the vet I'd be workings with to make sure we got on, and yesterday they offered me a job. I haven't said yes yet, the details still need to be ironed out, such as which days, salary etc. I've said my preference would be to work tues/wed as inset days are more likely to be Mon/fri, (and of course how cool would it be to never work Mon or fri, but I didn't say that!) my friend who runs the breakfast and after school club is a childminder as well and has said she loves Eric to bits and wouldn't want anyone else looking after him, which will mean I can drop both kids off at the same place in the morning and they get picked up from the same place. The club operates from the same building as Matilda's old pre school, and once the big kids have left to go to school, the little kids get taken to her house , until its time to go back to the club to wait for the big kids to get back from school. It will also mean that Matilda and Eric see each other after school.

So, it all seems perfect which is why I didn't want to tempt fate by saying anything! The practice is so different from my old job, emphasis on quality rather than quantity, 15 min consults rather than 10, and you really give them the whole 15 mins (not sure i know how to talk for that long!). It's nr finsbury park tube which means me getting a bus then a tube, but it's doable, and the bus isn't busy so I can get a seat, and they've said I can start at 9.30am, and they do childcare vouchers.....they have other staff with young kids so really seem to be keen to work round that and be family friendly. I need to ask things like what happens if I get a phone call from school saying I need to pick child up etc,

Anyway, going to take advantage of the peace and read the paper now.
16/12/2012 at 10:24

Well done Caro, sounds fab!  Hope you can work out the finer details.  I'm also in bed, feeling v rough but of the ill variety rather than any wine.  Think I need to have a proper rest so am trying to not do anything today...

16/12/2012 at 11:24

Caro - well done, that sounds brilliant, hope the paperwork and final terms all come through ... what a revelation for you it will be to work in a supportive environment!!

Enjoy your peace and quiet.

My hubby was feeling a ropey and ill on Friday night so he'd thought he'd stay in bed 'til 10 yesterday morning and this morning he was out at 8.00am to go cycling with the boys. Bless him, it's tough isn't it!!

Kids seem to have recovered from the vomits which is great. Took J orienteering yesterday, weather was grim and wet and cold (like 2 degrees and drizzling) but he loved it and managed to jog all the way round his 1.8km course. I did my usual, run fast but not pick very good routes so as usual times never live up to everyone elses expectations ... but I am gradually improving.

Pantomime in the afternoon, which hubby joined us for half-way through as he was still feeling tired etc (bless).

I'm still not feeling great but think it's hormonal too - went through a phase about a year ago of getting awful nausea as part of PMT so think I have that combined with dregs of the vomit bug and I slept sooooo badly last night, just feeling really stressed at the moment. J just had massive meltdown as I've said we are not going to rugby kids christmas party this afternoon - is 2.30-5.30pm and it will be me doing it as hubby back off to airport at 4 and has some work to do first. I just can't face it!!!

Sorry, having a mini melt-down at the moment. Will be short-lived though ... promise to stop whinging.

Edited: 16/12/2012 at 11:26
16/12/2012 at 20:55

Hope your meltdowns stopped CC, think the end of term is making everyone a bit grumpy too, or it is here anyway...

Another hubby here who needs quite a lot of 'rest' although he did try to keep the kids out of my hair today so I could get some extra sleep as it is taking me so long to get better.

16/12/2012 at 21:29
Fab about the job Caro, hopefully they will appreciate the fact that sometimes you have to just go - no different to falling ill and not likely to be frequent either is it.
Boo to feeling low CC, I tell hubby he needs to down tools and help me out now and again or risk a meltdown. You absolutely cannot fit everything in (unless you are lotte) and saying no is a necessity.
Great to the end of walking strike hOggle but boo to feeling rough Kinsey.
Had club mulled wine run this morning which was a muddy 7 with regular stops for refreshments.... Decided at the end we were a drinking club with a running problem. Finially got the tree up too but can barely see the green through all the tinsel and tat.
16/12/2012 at 21:42
Fab effort Caro!

That is what trees are supposed to look like Camo!

Just watching SPOTY - wow!

J has said he wants to give up athletics and try gymnastics. Sadly I don't think he is going to excel there and I fear it is too competitive for him

I am still feeling grim. In ear temp up over 38 today (normally 36.2). Ear is banging but really not sure if it is an ear infection. I have been ill now for so long and tried a run yday but have suffered ever since. May end up back at gp this week out of desperation.
16/12/2012 at 22:35
Go back and get it checked so you don't end up surfing over Christmas. Oops not surfing that would be great - suffering!! I agree gymnastics always appears competitive and harsh but then again he may excel and love it!
17/12/2012 at 00:37

CM - as someone who is now working in the world of gymnastics I say they are all freakin crazy so avoid at all costs!! Haha no thats only the committees! Gymnastics is an excellent sport for developing fundamentals of movement eg. at its basic levels you lern all the skills to be able to do otehr sports well - balance,landing, jumping etc. In NZ now they have recognised that kids are coming in to sports without these basic skills and fundamentals through gymnastics is becoming a big thing. SO anyway enough boring stuff - if you can find a friendly group where emphasis is on fun and learning new skills he could learn some great stuff. Basically a club with a good recreation gymnastics programme (not sure what they call it in UK) rather than just a competitive programme as I wholeheartedly agree - WAY to competitive and harsh in the competition levels! I will be getting M to do the fundamentals/rec stuff when she is little but definitely not encouraging her to take it up competitively - too many bitchy princesses and focus on body shape etc. Also have been hrrified at seeing coaches sitting on gymnasts to get their stretch further - shocking!!! Sorry - taken over thread with a gym rant!!

Nearly time to go get M from daycare, running tomorrow I promise!!

PS Woohoo Caro!!!!!

17/12/2012 at 07:25
Good point Hoggle, a big thing in running is making sure the fundamentals have been achieved, even in adults. Again, balance, coordination, agility etc.

Cm - hope you're better, not sure if it helps but Head Over,Heels do after school classes on a,Tuesday at 3.45 and I think 4.45. More emphasis on 4-7 years of age.
17/12/2012 at 08:23
There is way to much emphasis on competition + sitting exams in most of the children's sports clubs I think. Why can't they just do dancing, martial arts, gymnastics etc etc for fun + fitness?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.