Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,461 to 38,480 of 45,785 messages
07/04/2013 at 08:15
They weren't all running bras....they were mostly preggy ones, bf ones, a couple of huge sports ones from my running when preggy or bf days. I now don't think I have a single one that fits me, as I have shrunk back to pre pubescent times!
07/04/2013 at 08:42
I binned tons of stuff last week. I decided I'm sick of ancient washed out kit, some of the capris were almost translucent! I have kept 3 pairs of capris, being the only ones I really wear anyway, one pair of long tights as the other pair didn't have a zip pocket, two pairs of shorts which I am unlikely to wear anyway and a selection of short sleeves, vest and long sleeves tops. Also binned all socks which pre dated my first marathon(2002). Am left with about 4 pairs which I bought for last year tho I seem to recall I didn't really rate them. Tough!

I have another cold. Sore throat, streaming nose etc. bah.

Fun run good yesterday. The runners all did well. Andy ran his second fastest 10k ever at 46. He got 46 and I got 45.45 for him! Need to get official result. Mark got a pb and suspect was close to 40. Neil got 37 something. And Lou and I got 24 for the 3k she ran it all. My power walk pace was perfect pacing for her to run the entire thing. She got distracted a few times and she never stopped talking the whole way round! However most kids ran like crazy at the start but walked the second half so we were overtaking the whole way home. She did well.
07/04/2013 at 09:09
In fact official results now out and she did 23.08 and i did 23.16.
07/04/2013 at 09:26
Well done Lou!!
Ended up having a good day and coffee group was fun - ages since we've met up so noone wanted to leave.
Feeling sad though - friend who lost her baby text to say sorry she's not been answering my calls, she wants to talk but can't make herself answer the phone. She said please don't give up on me. Will keep calling every day or so because she knows she doesn't have to andwer or explain but am sad she is in this terrible dark place. My heart aches for her.
07/04/2013 at 15:41
Well done Lou, that is fab.

(((((Hoggle))))) so sad, had a little bubble after reading ur post, hope ur friend has people around her to just hold her + cry with her, heartbreaking.
07/04/2013 at 18:53

I won't tell you what I have eaten today either!!

Another fab day in the cotswolds. Left home at 8.45am. Hubbie ran the chedworth roman trail 10. Looked fabulous, the scenery was stunning. Will def have a bash next year I think. Dry conditions so some fast times. Kids played outside the whole time during the race, different sports, rounders, boule, football, in the play area, mini races. Then we popped to the Chedworth NT roman villa for lunch and a quick look. Again absolutely stunning country side just driving through. Back to Cirencester popped in to supermarket quickly as needed spuds and parsnips for tea then took kids swimming there. Then hubbie cycled home after that about 20 miles for him plus 13 miles run today. I did 8 miles first thing.

TD tomorrow here, but S in nursery. Going to take boys to Lydiard Park in swindon with their bikes for the morning, then back for lunch as cannot face packing another lunch!!

Also so sad about your friend Hoggle. You are being an amzing friend ((()))

07/04/2013 at 20:01
Oh dear I can't stop eating rubbish, arghhhhhhhhhhh.
Hoggle- very sad but at least she was able to text u and let u know how terrible she's feeling. You are being there for her so that is all you can do, big hugs (((())))).
Glad coffee morning was nice -)
MM- sounds a fab day.
CC the adventure show tonight is about the cairngorm mountain rescue team, thought u might like that?
Well done to L EF, that's brill. Yuk to another cold, rubbish.
Snowed overnight, spring??!!! Yeah. Hubby & I left the girls at my parents & went for a 10 mile MTB ride. Was good but hard work as it was snowing, muddy & sandy!
Start new job in morning so up at 5.30 am, yech.
07/04/2013 at 20:39
Hoggle - sounds like you are being just the friend she needs right now. Make sure u have support too though, especially if and when she does wanna talk. I'm sure that will be emotionally hard for you as well. U know we r all thinking of u and your friend. It's just awful what some people have to go through.

MM - sounds like a fab day and a nice race for your hubby. Was it a roast for dinner? The spuds and parsnips made me think of a roast! And I have them on the brain at the mo. I made my first EVER Yorkshire Puddings yesterday. I was chuffed when they actually worked! Was really tickled with myself!

Love the MTB riding with hubby RF. Mr B and I did a fair few cycle rides together pre - E, but none since! Shame really. I worry that he does almost no exercise bar badminton once every couple weeks. He's a type 1 diabetic so I always think he should do more.

Anyway, WHAT a beautiful day today! I've decided I'm gonna do some brisk walks every day this week and see how they go, and how my sickness is, then ease back into the running next week. Wish me luck!
07/04/2013 at 20:42
Oh and well done Lou and EF. Brilliant! You can say you raced whilst pregnant!

And Caro, meant to say that all your walking is super impressive too. How do you fit it in? I'm thinking if I can walk to/from nursery and work each day, 3 days a week, that would be 15 miles a week, which is a start?!
07/04/2013 at 20:58

No Brookie, well not quite, almost a roast. We had a Jamie O recipe, one of our faves with pork chops marinated in lemon, garlic and rosemary then roassted with pears, parsnips and spuds in the overn for 45 mins. Lush dinner!

Off to bed soon as sore throat and cold has got worse ...

08/04/2013 at 00:11
Super running as ever.

Hugs to Hoggle for both you and your friend. She knows you are there for her which is awesome.

Just a quickie, what is the board called that you attach to a pushchair so a toddler can ride along?
08/04/2013 at 01:07

buggy board T-tid?

08/04/2013 at 01:15
I'm joining those in a different time zone..... Pls pls can I go back to sleep?! Woken by coughing child ( who didn't wake) but now can't go back. Whilst I think of it, GP recommended a humidifier for E's room at night to help with coughs and stuff. Anyone used one? Any use?
08/04/2013 at 06:43
That's it Hoggle, thanks. Does anyone use them? Pros/cons? I'd like to take Max on some longer walks but would like a fall back option if he gets tired as I sure as hell can't carry him!

Even though I am on a different time zone, I should be asleep now, yawn! O woke up at 1:15. I thought whenni put him down at 10:30 last night that he might do a little better.

O starts nursery in the morning . He will go to the same place as M so convenient and I am comfortable he will be looked after but that means I'm back to work full time now. He'll be 10 weeks on Tuesday.

Not sure if I said that we have put our house on the market. It's been on a week now and we have had about 12 viewings so far. Only 1 offer as yer and that was $75,000 below asking price so we'll NOT be accepting that.... Has been hard work keeping the house up to scratch for the viewings which was a good part of why we went away Monday to Wednesday last week.

MM, well done on job offer. Did you hear yet about the 2nd one? Sorry if you already said, on phone so can't look back.
08/04/2013 at 07:03
Running gear, hmmm... I desperately need to buy some. All of mine is so tired. Maybe that is the boost I need to start running again, I should go and buy some shiny new gear. I'm planning to join running group this Tuesday night for a walk/jog. Really have to start eating better too.

I saw my friend with cancer on Saturday for the first time. She has lost a lot of weight but looked amazing considering. She was very matter of fact about things too, incredible. She is still getting over the surgery at the moment and had not started treatment but it is so rare that she may have to go to Texas to find a doctor with any experience. Max made me so proud though. He chatted with her and was very sweet then in the car as we drove away he said 'it was really nice to see Jan' which I texted to her and I think it made her day.

Bum! O has just chucked up all I've been feeding him all over himself, my leg and the rug. Poor little bugger, it really upsets him too. Max used to spit up a little bit after every feed but with no concern. O only does it occasionally but he goes big when he goes and upsets himself. Now for the dilemma of whether to try to pour more into him in the hopes he sleeps until the morning....
08/04/2013 at 08:24
boo to sick and not sleeping.
Humidifier worked well when we had lots of croup coughing in our house.
TTid - not surprised you turned their generous offer down!!
Busy week planned again..... wish I was a lady of leisure.
08/04/2013 at 09:10

I now have two job offers!! Wibble! Have accepted the publishing one in Bath over the BBSRC one. I hope that was the right decision. Am now having second thoughts .

They have offered me a totally rubbish salary and a 6 month contract to start with. But the job does sound good. I have gone back to them asking for slightly more money, but am not hopeful. Didn't realise salaries were that low in science publishing.

Anyway. I have told BBSRC, so no going back now . Probably start in 3 weeks after London!!

08/04/2013 at 09:19

Brookie - snap! I was also woken by coughing child last night. I finally dragged myself out of bed to give her cough medicine and a drink of water at 2am and just couldn't get back to sleep, was definitely still awake at 4.30am and think I finally managed to get about an hours sleep before alarm went off at 6. Don't think today is going to be my most productive day!

TT - boo to going back to work full-time already. Although based on conversations with colleagues out in the US I think up to 12 weeks is pretty standard for maternity leave out there isn't it.

So I did my half yesterday and we had a beautiful day for it. There were 17 parents from the school who ran it and we've raised almost £2500 for the school which they're planning to use towards a new library and various other bits of equipment they need. Chip timing results came in at 1hr 47 & 15 secs in the end which is a PB by about 2 and a half minutes so happy with that. My pacing was awful though, went off far too fast (first 4 miles were 7.58 / 7.36 / 7.58 / 8.02) but it was difficult not to as the first part of the course was pretty much all downhill so decided not to worry about it as at least it would level out the uphill miles later on which I knew would be slower. Miles 9 and 10 were shockers at 8.41 and 8.43 and my legs were really starting to tire by then but managed to pick it up a bit after that and managed 8.27 on mile 12 which included the killer hill and then a final 8.12 mile to finish off (couldn't quite manage a sprint finish).

Looking at the results it seems that all the fast ladies must have stayed at home as I came in as 4th lady (although they've got it wrong on the results website as they've included a fella called Rory in the ladies results so I'm currently showing as 5th). One of the marshalls on the course told me I was third as I was running the course but annoyingly was passed at mile 10 by another lady who clearly had a much better race plan than my "do the downhills fast and try to hang on" plan - she ended up finishing 2 minutes in front of me so there was no way I could catch her ... this time! Loved it though - half marathon distance so much nicer to run than shorter races so will be looking out for another one do do once my legs are recovered .

Short week for me this week as only working today and tomorrow then got a couple of days with the kids before hubby and I go away for our weekend away. 2 nights with no kids - can't wait!

08/04/2013 at 09:21

Xpost MM - well done on the job offers, that's fantastic!

08/04/2013 at 14:34

(((Hoggle)))

Great racing going on! And now EF has a PPB  

Congratulations on the job, MM, that is amazing news.

TTid - sorry about your friend . Hope all goes well with nursery for Oscar.

Got back from hols last night so back to reality today with a mountain of washing and cat mess to clean up! Moomin has bowel issues so the kitchen was an interesting sight when we got in... Someone was coming in to feed them but obviously didn't expect them to clean up shi*e. Then again, I would have done. Well, I say ME, but it is Ben due to my current condition

Holiday was fabulous though, and now feel very relaxed.Had some great walks (and runs!) in the mountains. Beautiful, unspoilt terrain with virtually no-one else around. I do still have quite bad DOMS from the 5 miler on Saturday - it was 2.5 miles and up 2,5 down (trashed quads from the down!). Good job I really need to rest now. I mean, all I have done this morning is mopped the floor and done the washing and I feel like I need to go to bed! The last few days I have started to feel very sick - frustratingly not actually being sick - and there are very few foods that I fancy. My staple diet at the moment is crisps , and I can't even eat many of them! Oh well, I am sure it will pass. I hope so - I am wasting away!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.