Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,461 to 38,480 of 47,642 messages
04/01/2013 at 23:03

there's an increased risk apparently tho it is still meant to be under 1% so I've got to hope! time for sleep again.  night night . 

04/01/2013 at 23:19
Just had some awful news - my dear friends 3 month old has been diagnosed with Bilery Artresin - malformation of bile ducts connected to liver. Theyve been flown up to Auckland and he will have an operation next week, if it doesn't work he will need a liver transplant. I'm devastated for them. Best case scenario they will have at least 3 weeks in a hospital about 10 hours drive from friends and family. I really want to do something to help so was thinking of enlisting my Aunt who lives in Auckland to put together a care package for them. So really need your ideas on what would be useful for them - eg. Non perishable food, treats, practical things - any ideas??
04/01/2013 at 23:41
Oh Hoggle, that's horrible news. So hard for them. That's a lovely idea to put together a care package. I guess they will be in a hotel or hospital guest room? Hmm, trying to think of ideas...magazines, chocs, some really nice soap? Have they rushed up there unprepared or did they have time to pack a bag? If not, then the basics like toothpaste, toothbrushes etc. if I think of anything else, I'll post again.
05/01/2013 at 06:06

Oh hoggle that is terrible news . pray the ooperation works.  survival pack of practicalities sounds a good idea plus say a couple of books or sth to distract them occasionally.

05/01/2013 at 10:22
Prickly tummy pains and a dose of the tex ritters this morning. I'm worrying even tho I'm sure they're related rather than tummy being a bad sign. I also have headache and earache. Trust me to do this on a weekend instead of in work time. Just taken soluble paracetamol as I felt so awful. Oh joy. Here's hoping I pick up cos Andy's doing overtime all day tomorrow.
05/01/2013 at 20:04
Hoggle hope your friends are ok. best thing we had when in hosp was lots of text messages or calls from friends and family. it is very lonely in a busy hosp..... I also appreciated books/ mags/ offer of clothes washes/ someone to sit for an hour so we could get out of the hosp together for some fresh air/ things to do with little one like colouring book or simple toys.
EF hope you feel better soon and bad luck feeling ill over the wkend!
Went on the 22 mile 'run' today but was in a group which always slows you, terrain was horrendous with marsh, bogs, tumps etc and also got a wee bit lost so actually out on my feet for nearly 7 hours!!!!! Just about to dig the dirt from under my non- attached toe nail.
05/01/2013 at 20:40
Euk Camlo!!! Well done though!

EF - everything crossed, hope you're not ill!

Hoggle - that is so awful. 12 days was bad enough. Archie was the same age, a couple of things for the cot to stimulate a little or interest him? Ready made g and t cans or similar (sometimes you just need it), nice shower gel, easy food, some healthy snacks, I got fed up of only being able to get crisps and chocolate (honest!) on top of hospital food. Hugs and prayers. X

Well, started trying to lose the 3/4 stone from being ill and Christmas. Got the Hairy Dieters and Cook yourself thin which are providing inspiration for real food! Just demolished a small pack of kettle chips though as as yummy as our fakeaway curry was, I needed more carb!
06/01/2013 at 15:00
oh JT glad I am not the only 1, managed to put on 7lb since tummy bug couple of weeks b4 Xmas, going to take about 6 wks of hard work just to get back to where I was . Then I have still got 33lb + still to go after that. Going to get my Dr Phil book out again, did really well at dropping the lbs pre norovirus cos I was reading that every night.
06/01/2013 at 15:49
Think the Hairy Dieters recipes are all online at the moment TT. Some really nice stuff on there, did the chicken Korma last night and lamb tagine Friday. Wasn't so fussed on the lasagne, think I'd rather put in less pasta and omit the leeks. Bechamel sauce was good though!
06/01/2013 at 15:50
Ps Dr Phil sounds v interesting!
06/01/2013 at 19:02
Oh blimey Hoggle, your poor friends, fingers crossed things work out for them. A package of goodies / necessities sounds a wonderful idea and I'm sure will be much appreciated.
EF - it's awful feeling so carp but it won't be forever. Rest as much as able and hope your illness comes to nothing.
Never heard of dr phil, will have to google it! I've been watching the hairy dieters, it's good and I think they are quite funny! Back to healthier eating for me in the morning, the chocolate as gotta stop and the Pringles!!!
Bak lata, girls bedtime.
06/01/2013 at 19:15

6.5k of very very hard, muddy xc for me today and absolutely no dieting here!! SW Intercounties, running for Wiltshire at Bicton in Devon.

Fish pie followed by plum crumble and custard for us. Yum! Yum!

63 miles this week in total, cut back week and very pleased I managed to run so hard after 16 miles on thursday. Been selected to run at the National Intercounties now in March in Birmingham. Loved it today, makes me feel young again!!

EF I so feel for you. Keep posting it will help you feel better about the waiting, but sadly it can't help the sickness. The yukkiness is a good sign. I could so not go back to that pregnancy sickness again. Ugghh!

06/01/2013 at 19:34
But you suffered horrendously mm! Congratulations! Well done you!

Rf - my Nanna lives on the next island to Dave. The shots of the boats on the sea bed with the fells in the background are from her island, in fact, the view from what was my grandma's front garden!

Mad day! Swimming first thing, bumped into the mum of one of the lads I used to swim with, not bad given Northampton is 150 miles away!
06/01/2013 at 19:57

Congratulations MM - awesome work!!

Back to work for me today! Really hoping that al the clubs I work with continue with their holidays for a good while longer as I feel I need to ease back in to work - and the sunshine on the deck is calling my name!! Very hot here at the moment. Spent all morning yesterday at the beach and then retreated home by lunchtime as it was just too hot. The sun is really vicious here so you have to be so careful not to get sunburn! Instead of the pollen count on the weather we have the burn time! Loving living near the beach though!

Spoke to my friend yesterday - she sounds so overwhelmed. The operation is tomorrow so fingers crossed it's successful. Even if it is it's only a temporary measure so he will require a liver transplant, its just a case of whether its in 1 month, 1 year or 10 years. She said that she wished that they anaesthatised (sp) the mother when they put a baby under for an operation! She is trying not to think past the operation I think as it's too much to handle all at once. I feel for her so much! Matilda is testing boundaries big time here and everytime I get annoyed I think of them and pull my head in sharpish!!

EF poor you feeling so rotten! I had a terrible cold/flu when I was about 13 weeks and that combined with morning sickness was horrendous. Are you taking any time off work? Oh for a fast forward button to get past that and the waiting!

Right really must work...... so I am going to measure my run and walks from the weekend!

06/01/2013 at 20:31
Hey everyone, hopefully your a friendly bunch and im not going to get linched for being a new comer and daring to post, as I had some nasty comments on another post on this site which was a bit unexpected boo!
Anyway by the by I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm a mum of 2 (girls age 3 and 13months) I'm running my first marathon in April eeeek! I've done a couple of halfs, my last being the paphos half in Nov (I did it in 1,40) and I really hope to do my marathon sub 4hours. I think I'm capable if I can juggle the kids, house move (well country move cyprus to norfolk! - hubby is RAF) and also just not be plain lazy and up my milage. Some of the miles you lot are putting in is phenomenal, I've done myself a training programme (started today) and I know if I stick to it sub 4hours is achievable but my problem is enthusiasm sometimes after a long day with the kid especially for the long runs (thin I will have to go at weekend and sacrifice my lie in to do it in day light) How do you lot manage?! Any tips would be more than welcomed! Thanks Mel x
06/01/2013 at 20:56
Hi Mel welcome! We're all pretty normal on here. Some are super human but all are friendly! With a half time of 1.40 you should do sub 4 comfortably. I did it and my best half is 1.45!

The early rise is a fave of some on here to get the runs in. I just had to get up sharp on a Sunday and get my ass out the door!

Anyway am on iPhone so just a brief hello.

I'm better today (in terms of head, ears etc) but still utterly blah. Was in bed 7.30 last night and got up at 10. Tummy still churny but no bleeding so I think it's just dodgy tum caused by too much shit fatty food. Had roast chicken for tea. It was ok but now I have indigestion. This is def becoming an issue, not one I had with Lou or even last year. Oh yay!
06/01/2013 at 21:37

Welcome Mel! Quite a few super humans on here - I am not one of them!!!

06/01/2013 at 21:58

welcome Mel. i am a blob not a superhuman

hoggle - fingers x'd for your friends

sooo tired. 2 nights of sharing a bed with my little starfish. . but was absolutely brilliant weekend. full of friends and cousins and singing, dancing, digging in the sand, walking dogs. just the ticket to end the christmas hols with

and so off to bed. GP appt in the morning as i still can't breathe properly...

06/01/2013 at 22:42

Welcome Mel, we are all lovely on here and no-one will be rude.  I used to do long runs at weekend early in the morning - used to kill me getting up as I am so NOT a morning person but it worked as didn't impact on rest of family for the weekend, now I have both kids at school I can usually fit my long runs in during the week around work etc.

Well done MM, fabulous achievement, and the selection too. Can we have less of the 'old' from you though please, it's not like you ARE old or anything ... there are a few of us on here that have a few more years that you for sure!

Hoggle - that's just awful for your friend

EF - hope you are surviving the grims.

Finally back this evening from tour of Great Britain ... bless hubby, he drove me and kids from Coventry to Luton airport, drove back to Coventry and staying at his dads tonight before heading back off to Waddington in the morning for work for the week ... and then flying back home to us on Friday!!!  Check-in at Luton - hideous; security - even more horrendous. Despite starting at checki-in queue as soon as it opened, had to go straight to gate when emerged from security!!! Better than on way out when got times wrong for check-in at Inverness and made it with 1 minute to spare!!!! Shouldn't have gone for the dip in the sea clearly ...

So no Camlo, I am not looking forward to another year of this commute but can't see anything changing soon

Lovely to see everyone but a bit full-on manic though. Someone mentioned benefits of having an understanding hubby and training ... love my husband - NOT - when I mentioned I wanted a run this weekend  "didn't you run at your parents then" said with some heat ... erm two 3-milers doesn't really count I think????  Erm this is the guy who seems to think he's going to provide support for me on the WHW Race ...

Great sounding run Camlo - are you signed up to any more ultras?

JT - glad to hear you are getting some swimming in and hopefully some sense re the lungs too?

CM - hope you are feeling better?

I have a new inhaler to try courtesy of the nurse at the asthma clinic. It's a purple mixed dose thing so we shall see

Sorry if missed loads, am totally boggle-eyed. Kind of relieved we are back to school tomorrow as so need to get back into routine, but also absolutely terrified of my 'official' start pilates classes this week - ie they have to pay for it ... so need to get my five-week lesson plan sorted tomorrow ... eek!  Need to get a running schedule sorted too as am determined to TRY and get some speed in my utlras.

Lotte - probs too late but this is what I have to run with on races where I don't need lots of extra kit for terrain/weather, although can fit a fair bit in, it suits me as I like water in a bladder rather than a hand-held, I love the fact it's a vest and doesn't have to fit waist as they never do http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATHAN-Womens-Intensity-Hydration-Race/dp/B005IDDN6C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 22:45
06/01/2013 at 22:47
How's the rest of the illness cm? Sounds a lovely weekend!

Mel - think I've met some of them too . No we're ok! Even if we have verbal diarrhea! I found a treadmill helped massively. some nights were so tough but having a goal really helped. Good luck!!!

EF - all feeling carp is good that was my mantra!

Hoggle - everything crossed etc for tomorrow. Not surprising she can't get beyond the op.

Boo... Work tomorrow!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.